Improved E55 balance ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Improved E55 balance ?

Been wondering how to try and get the cars weight a little more balanced - at mom I think its 53:47 f:r. What heavy kit up front can be moved into rear or even better trunk (besides my fat a$$) . This will help dynamics as well as traction ... or not? The car pushes when accel hard out of mild corners - and gets loose when going out hard in tight corners ... so lightening up the front will reduce grip and make the pushing worse though ??? So whats going on here then ?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F248 F1
im off to bed but really quick

from my experience.. its better to understeer, its easier to extract the potential of the car, and you can go faster on fast turns(easier to handle for unskilled drivers)...and its better for high speed turns, more predictable
Old 11-17-2006, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Yep makes sense...
Old 11-17-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
it will understeer no matter wha you do, thats how its built but lightening the front will help considerably.

the only way that i can think of is cf body panels (fenders, hood, bumper).
lightweight wheels will help also.

not much else you can do
Old 11-17-2006, 02:42 PM

‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
Originally Posted by egxpimp
im off to bed but really quick

from my experience.. its better to understeer, its easier to extract the potential of the car, and you can go faster on fast turns(easier to handle for unskilled drivers)...and its better for high speed turns, more predictable
Most skilled drivers will agree that you go faster with a car that oversteers, rather than a car that understeers.

Cyrus
Old 11-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I'll take oversteer anyday as well. Understeer is easier for untrained drivers, but neutral is best so that you can use the throttle and weight distribution to control over / under at will.

The car will not understeer no matter. Speak from experience not assumption.

As an exercise, put the front wheels on the rear and rear on the front and go for a spin. It will definitely OVERSTEER, proving it can be done. ANY car can be tuned. By the way, you going to the carlsbad meet tomorrow? Bring "raw" and his cash....Jay will have his wad.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by jangy
I'll take oversteer anyday as well. Understeer is easier for untrained drivers, but neutral is best so that you can use the throttle and weight distribution to control over / under at will.

The car will not understeer no matter. Speak from experience not assumption.

As an exercise, put the front wheels on the rear and rear on the front and go for a spin. It will definitely OVERSTEER, proving it can be done. ANY car can be tuned. By the way, you going to the carlsbad meet tomorrow? Bring "raw" and his cash....Jay will have his wad.
im in sd right now, drove up tonight, ill be there around 7:30 (i hope i dont oversleep). ill be in my 997 (white shirt, gucci print hat)
see you tomorrow
Old 11-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by AMG_55
im in sd right now, drove up tonight, ill be there around 7:30 (i hope i dont oversleep). ill be in my 997 (white shirt, gucci print hat)
see you tomorrow

Good to meet you, bro. SWEETT 997. Enjoy it in good health and lets get together soon. I love the interior on that ride. Very sexy!!

Lol, you woulda loved to see Jay and Jeff's $100 bills. They were really hoping Raw showed up. I think you and I were the only two that knew we were just meeting up!!
Old 11-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by CyE55
Most skilled drivers will agree that you go faster with a car that oversteers, rather than a car that understeers.

Cyrus

I said unskileld drivers buddy

I don't know how good he is, so i dont want him crashing a beautiful E55.

AND It really comes down to the driving preference of EVERY driver. Michael Schumacher and Kimi Raickonein LOVE oversteer, just as i do. ON THE OTHER HAND Fernando Alonso prefers understeer, it just what your confortable and how much you can extract from it from YOUR racing line, period.

Hmm if you want more oversteer without really doing much on mods, play with PSI, try 32 front 36 rears, the lower the front psi the/higher in the rear more oversteer just play with that, till you find what you like
Old 11-19-2006, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Wink

Good to meet you, bro. SWEETT 997. Enjoy it in good health and lets get together soon. I love the interior on that ride. Very sexy!!

Lol, you woulda loved to see Jay and Jeff's $100 bills. They were really hoping Raw showed up. I think you and I were the only two that knew we were just meeting up!!
it was good to meet you also. thanks again for the compliments on the car. yeah, we should meet up. i didnt go to palomar after i left, my friend w/ the 996tt wasnt down. we drove around and did some runs, got them on camera. i also went to piuma cyn. and did a run w/ my girlfriend (9pm in la on a sat night. me:"baby what do you wanna do?", her:"lets go out", me:"i wanna go to the canyons, lets go get some food and go to the canyons" and the rest as they say is history... by 10:30 i was in the canyons.

she video taped it, its a little bouncy but you can still see it very well. i will post it in off topic, in a little bit you should check it out. the road is bumpy and i had the sus on firm, on the exit of a few corners the front end just bounces like a foot over, if i leave it in soft then it bounces under braking/turn in. but thats the reason i got this car over a cayman s, i just need to learn to work around it.

you might wanna get a cayman s for the track btw, if you wanna a track car, that car drives like its on rails, i just wanted a car to challenge me i guess. base cayman w/ a carrera s engine tuned to 380hp can be had under $80000 (with a few options), you can also get pasm w/ it(all it needs is better brakes and lsd). it would be a sick *** track car.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I'm not much of a Cayman fan, although the mid engine is much more balanced than the 997. Yours is sweet. Learning to drive it right is tough, but that precision is part of the pride in ownership. The E55 is just so "easy" to drive hard that a 997 would compliment it well.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Learning to drive it right is tough, but that precision is part of the pride in ownership.
yeah, i completely agree.

the vids are up, i pm'ed you the cyn link.
there is also the 996tt drag in kill stories