W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V60 Bluetooth Phone adapter interesting discovery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
McLaren 12C Spider | Lamborghini Superleggera | Porsche 997.2 TT | Cayenne TT | AMG GTS
V60 Bluetooth Phone adapter interesting discovery

This may be old news to everyone but it was a cool discovery for me. The Mercedes Bluetooth adapter for the V60 phone kit runs $349-$399. I found out that BMW uses the same phone system CPT9000 which is an option on the E55. The BMW adapter which looks identical sells for $199-249 depending on who you buy it through. I picked one up on ebay for $199 from Morristownbmw.com (morristownbmw on ebay). It came in today sure enough the damn thing works. I plugged it in the Blue light started blinking after about 3sec. I turned my E61 Nokia to BT discovery mode. The BMW BTUM showed up as a new device. I punched in the unique pin shown on the back of the BT adapter. and Bingo it connected. I made several phone calls and it works. I have not played with the voice tags or any other features. I will update the thread when I have time to play with the settings.

Anyway for $199 pick up the Motorola BMW version of the CPT9000 BT kit, you can save yourself $200. There is also an 8000 version for older models that is the wrong kit.

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 03-20-2007 at 03:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GillyLoch (10-21-2016)
Old 03-20-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
95 C36
I have this unit in my car that I just purchased, I thought it was only for motorola phones and you plugged in your moto phone. I don't have that unit with the moto logo just the holder, is this some kind of bluetooth receiver that I'm missing?

edit: nevermind, should have read the above post more carefully, that is pretty cool, I may just have to pick up one of these things. Although $200 seems a little pricey just for a receiver.....

Last edited by FCSmthree; 03-20-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:23 PM

McLaren 12C Spider | Lamborghini Superleggera | Porsche 997.2 TT | Cayenne TT | AMG GTS
The Phone kit that came in my E55 is an option that the car had installed at the factory. It has a V60 Motorola cradle. I tried using an Old cingular V60 that I had in a drawer. The phone did not sync up with the Car's phone system. This piece is a BT adapter. The manual says it should work with Most BT compatible phones. The adapter is shaped like a V60 phone. So it basically converts the car kit to BT compatible which once required a V60 to be plugged in.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:47 PM

$199 is better then $399. I would rather have the phone BT compatible then not use the option at all. If your car does not have the Merc. V60 then you have to go out and buy one. At least this was my experience since I had a Cingular V60. My denali has a phone built into it however you have to buy the minutes. It's expensive and a pain in the ***. With this solution, You buy this adapter and you can switch phones as often as you like as long as it is a BT phone. I think it is a pretty good deal for $200 and you get to use the phone through the cars built in phone system.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
I knew about the BMW and other maker using the same unit when I was doing research on the kind of phones to replace my razr with to still see my phone book and speed dialing through the command unit.

I have found many of the newer BT phone works. However, I have found that the razr works the best and any motorola phone with their protocol works well where you can access your phone book. The razr is nice where all the speed dial and caller ID function correctly. On the command unit, you can just hit 3 and send. The Q is not bad but speed dial doesn't work on the command unit.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2105 S63 Full Carbon - 2018 GTR
Good write up Sandoval I had this post about a month ago and no one knew if the BMW version worked on our cars (not even the guys that were selling it ) Good to hear... I'm ordering mine tonight!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2105 S63 Full Carbon - 2018 GTR
Just scored one of eBay for $140! cant wait to put it to use.
Sandoval- does your phone book etc syn up and shoow on your HUD as well?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55
I'm also interested in finding out of the phone book syncs. And the SEND, END and keypad butons on the COMAND console work too? I was about to buy the $400 one but if there is no difference then I'll go for the BMW one.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Total BS... AMGs should come stock with BT. Even my 3 series has BT....
Old 04-24-2007, 10:34 AM

All of the command console buttons, steering wheel buttons and voice command work fine. I have a an E61 Nokia and I do not use phone book so I do not know if it works. I think I was running an old version of the command software. When I had the IPOD installed and the update the version it seemed to not have glitches. Before the end button would not always terminate the call.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon
So - all I need with my 2006 E55 with nav and satellite is to get this adapter and I am good to go for using the bluetooth through the COMAND???? if so - I'll be getting one ASAP!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Uber Wagon
So - all I need with my 2006 E55 with nav and satellite is to get this adapter and I am good to go for using the bluetooth through the COMAND???? if so - I'll be getting one ASAP!!!!
Not exactly you need the V60 phone option. If you do not have this factory option (The cradle in the top center console compartment would be a 99% indicator you have the phone kit installed) then read this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/184452-sick-waiting-argos-can-someone-confirm-these-part-s-oem-bluetooth.html

The BT puck enables the phone kit to work with BT phones instead of a V60.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:21 PM

2003 E55
Awesome! I'm going to order it right now. Thanks for the heads-up, you just saved me $200! If you ever come up here to Northern California I need to buy you a beer. Plus, our cars should meet since they are related.

Ed

Originally Posted by SANDOVAL
All of the command console buttons, steering wheel buttons and voice command work fine. I have a an E61 Nokia and I do not use phone book so I do not know if it works. I think I was running an old version of the command software. When I had the IPOD installed and the update the version it seemed to not have glitches. Before the end button would not always terminate the call.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:12 PM

Very cool man! You might want to take that $200 savings and spend it on a Sprint Booster. After driving the E55 you will get bored of the gas pedal hesitation. BTW I make it to No.Cal all the time on business we will hook up but it will not be a beer for the $200 bucks I expect a glass of Silver Oak! LOL

Sprint Booster GB: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/188127-sprint-booster-where-other-then-slkfans.html
Old 04-24-2007, 05:50 PM

2003 E55
Originally Posted by SANDOVAL
Very cool man! You might want to take that $200 savings and spend it on a Sprint Booster. After driving the E55 you will get bored of the gas pedal hesitation. BTW I make it to No.Cal all the time on business we will hook up but it will not be a beer for the $200 bucks I expect a glass of Silver Oak! LOL

Sprint Booster GB: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188127
You got it! So a Sprint Booster? I'll look into that. However at this point I don't want to make this thing any quicker. I've never driven anything this fast and when I floor it, it actually can be scary. Maybe I'll get used to it though. Yeah, there is a tiny hesitation when you hit the gas hard, but it only lasts a quarter of a second or so. My crudely timed 0-60 was 4.2 (handheld stopwatch). I can't imagine it getting any quicker than that. My wife will never be able to drive it (which might not be a bad thing).
Old 04-26-2007, 09:07 PM

Does anyone have experience with this adaptor and a Verizon Treo 650?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:59 AM

CLS55
the bmw bluetooth adapter fits in which car cradle? post 2004?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:15 AM

2003 E55
I got mine today. It plugged in easily and imported my Q's phonebook automaticaly. I love it and recommend it. The only thing I have not gotten to work right is the speed dial.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:57 AM

Here's the scoop. Basically if you have a V60 kit from Mercedes in your car (meaning you shelled out the $2k or so and got the MB factory-integrated phone system), you buy a Bluetooth 'puck' and no longer worry about having a compatible handset.

IMO it's the best solution on earth for pre-Bluetooth cars as it completely removes your handset/carrier from the 'will it work with the car' equation. If your phone has Bluetooth, it'll work with the car now.

I got the UHI kit from MbenzNL but will likely retrofit my v60 kit back into the car and put this in so I can ditch the dedicated 6230i Nokia I have in it AND perhaps get my tele-aid back (which would then need to be converted over to digital for another $$$$$ ).

But yes, basically BMW and MB phones have used the same interface protocols for many many years now. Even back in the first days of using digital StarTACs you could swap them out. I had an X5 and a C32 back in '02 and tried this. Lo and behold, the handsets were swappable. Nice to hear it still works! GREAT find.

Oh, and at BMW 3 series guy... uhm, BMW didn't even know what Bluetooth WAS back in 2003. NOBODY was doing integrated bluetooth back then... I don't even think Lexus was, and they do EVERYTHING first now.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:26 AM

2003 E55
So I've been happy with mine pretty much. I have a Motorola Q. There are some oddities...

1) speed-dial does not work. Pressing 1 will speed-dial the first entry in my phonebook. Pressing 2 dials the second, etc...

2) many times it wants to reload the whole phonebook. This is a PITA because it takes five minutes.

3) the number pad does not work for tone selection. For example, if you are in a phone menu and it wants you to, "Press one to speak with a live person." Pressing 1 does nothing. But if I press 1 on the phone it works so it's not that big a deal. And the Q fits perfectly in front of the armrest so I leave it there.

4) The sound cuts out a little at the beginning of each sentence so sometimes you miss the first second of what the person on the other line is saying. All hands-free phones do this, as well as the bluetooth earbuds, so it's not unique. I just don't like it much. All-in-all it's pretty cool.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 AM

Thumbs up

Hi guys
I'm newbie in this forum and i look for another pics of BTUM installed

thank you
Old 07-31-2007, 07:21 PM

04 S55 AMG
Got a question for the folks that have this installed, as I do as well. I got the BMW BTUM and works great with my iPhone, got the entire phonebook and works like a champ. Heres one flaw to the setup, let me know if im doing something wrong. So when the car is off, and even locked, the bluetooth module continues to stay lit up. So I thought nothing of it, then I made a test call in the garage from my houseline, and while the car was locked, looking through the window, I saw the navigation lightup saying call coming in, I answer it on my iPhone and obviously I cant hear anything because the call is actually in the Benz right now! So this is a problem for folks that got their cars in the garage and their phone is within the 30ft to stay connected. I end up having to remove the module to keep it off so my iPhone doesnt think its connected and keep sending calls there. I dont think its the iPhone at fault, its the fact that with the car off and locked that cradle still gets power and still keeps contact with the phone system. I would think with it locked it should disable it. What yall think?

Dixit
Old 07-31-2007, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by Dixit
Got a question for the folks that have this installed, as I do as well. I got the BMW BTUM and works great with my iPhone, got the entire phonebook and works like a champ. Heres one flaw to the setup, let me know if im doing something wrong. So when the car is off, and even locked, the bluetooth module continues to stay lit up. So I thought nothing of it, then I made a test call in the garage from my houseline, and while the car was locked, looking through the window, I saw the navigation lightup saying call coming in, I answer it on my iPhone and obviously I cant hear anything because the call is actually in the Benz right now! So this is a problem for folks that got their cars in the garage and their phone is within the 30ft to stay connected. I end up having to remove the module to keep it off so my iPhone doesnt think its connected and keep sending calls there. I dont think its the iPhone at fault, its the fact that with the car off and locked that cradle still gets power and still keeps contact with the phone system. I would think with it locked it should disable it. What yall think?

Dixit

Mine will stay connected to the car when it's in my garage too. But only for about 3 minutes after I come inside. The phone stays well within 30 feet, but the bluetooth connection drops after a few minutes. How long was your car turned off and locked when you did this test?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
355 F1 Spider & ......V12 w220.176
Originally Posted by Dixit
I got the BMW BTUM and works great with my iPhone, got the entire phonebook and works like a champ. Heres one flaw to the setup, let me know if im doing something wrong. So when the car is off, and even locked, the bluetooth module continues to stay lit up. .............................. What yall think?

Dixit
I think I saw in another thread that there is a recall on the BMW module because it wasn't shutting off and causing the battery to run down. I could be wrong, but worth checking out....
Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 PM

04 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Mine will stay connected to the car when it's in my garage too. But only for about 3 minutes after I come inside. The phone stays well within 30 feet, but the bluetooth connection drops after a few minutes. How long was your car turned off and locked when you did this test?
I tested this after only 1min, so didnt wait the 3mins. I will try that again. LetsJet, I just got this one the other day, so not sure if that recall still applies. If it does, crap, then I gotta send it back.

Dixit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: V60 Bluetooth Phone adapter interesting discovery