Sponsored by:

Transmission Shifting Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Transmission Shifting Question

My E63 now has about 670 miles on it (had it a week). The 7 speed shifts wonderfully most of the time--I like it.

On occasion, when slowing to a stop, it will down shift firmly into first. It's like the line pressure is still up or the torque converter is over zealous. It does not happen often, but I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

When accelerating hard, if I let off the transmission a bit, it will upshift in a clunky manner--a bit noisy.

Are any other owners of new E63s experiencing similar effects?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
The 7 speed in our SLK55 does the exact same things. The harder you drive it, the harder it seems to downshift when coming up to a stop. Almost like you're manually down shifting. Same on upshifts if you suddenly start taking it easy, a little clunky.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
That is my pet peev on the 7G.

Here is what I posted before:
"Easy test for the 7g is to coast from about 20mph. It will have a cluncky shift as it gets into first at about 5mph. If this happens, then you do not have the fix and a minimum of a valve body and software is in order."
Old 03-23-2007, 03:46 PM

E63
Originally Posted by jangy
That is my pet peev on the 7G.

Here is what I posted before:
"Easy test for the 7g is to coast from about 20mph. It will have a cluncky shift as it gets into first at about 5mph. If this happens, then you do not have the fix and a minimum of a valve body and software is in order."
Jangy,

I think you posted this a few months ago. Do you think MB has incorporated the "fix" into the newer builds?

By the way, my downshift is not "clunky," it is very firm--kind of like my 350 SDL used to be or my 2006 Dodge Cummin with the triple-lock converter and racing valve body.

Firm shifts can be a product of performance torque converters--not a bad thing. With a 500+ HP motor, you have to have an authoritative transmission shift or you will lose forward momentum, i.e., lose the race.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Cosmic Benz
Jangy,

I think you posted this a few months ago. Do you think MB has incorporated the "fix" into the newer builds?

By the way, my downshift is not "clunky," it is very firm--kind of like my 350 SDL used to be or my 2006 Dodge Cummin with the triple-lock converter and racing valve body.

Firm shifts can be a product of performance torque converters--not a bad thing. With a 500+ HP motor, you have to have an authoritative transmission shift or you will lose forward momentum, i.e., lose the race.
It all depends on your build date. It is not a "feature" and not a good thing, so don't get confused. I would check to make sure you are on the newest rev of teh software and valve body.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:58 PM

2015 BMW 640ix GC (Ruby Black)
My E63 now has about 670 miles on it (had it a week). The 7 speed shifts wonderfully most of the time--I like it.

On occasion, when slowing to a stop, it will down shift firmly into first. It's like the line pressure is still up or the torque converter is over zealous. It does not happen often, but I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

When accelerating hard, if I let off the transmission a bit, it will upshift in a clunky manner--a bit noisy.

While I might not be experiencing EXACTLY what you describe I AM getting intermittent rough shifting (mostly up). I have just chalked it up to the nature of auto transmissions. I also have great difficulty modulating the throttle when upshifting in "M" mode, especially 1-2 shifts. I try to leave it in "S" or "C" as much as I can (after all, that's why I bought it).

Not minimizing your concerns, just stating that I've experienced similar problems with the autos in other cars (my S4 would jar your neck if you hit the throttle after slowing to first).

=NLK=
Old 03-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Ben

E63

I've experienced the same issue a couple of times when coming to a stop. It is slightly rougher downshifting to 1st than compared to other gears. It is not frequent, so I can tolerate it.

I experience more with 3rd-gear. It is "firm" when upshifting or downshifting into 3rd-gear. Again, it is minor but is slightly rougher in comparison to other gears.

I still love my E63!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Jangy,

No clunk, but it is a firm downshift and it is worse if you've been driving it hard. Again, like maybe you manually downshifted. The SLK was updated since it's an '05, but really, I didn't see the slightest difference. Drive it like an old man, and it's noticeably smoother. Drive it hard, and it shifts pretty aggressively, up or down. I'll bet this is normal for any 7G, at least the AMG versions.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by jangy
It all depends on your build date. It is not a "feature" and not a good thing, so don't get confused. I would check to make sure you are on the newest rev of teh software and valve body.

+1 ............ Some 722.9 trannies have had this issue since its inception and it is a problem that MB definitely knows about. Do not let this problem go unattended to, thats what MB is hoping you do.
It needs to be fixed or replaced, good luck.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:53 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS

Haven't experienced the noisy upshift you are talking about but the downshifting upon coming to a stop I believe is normal. In fact that is what I love about the tranny. It doesn;t do it firmly though. Feel as if you have a manual and are using the gears to slow the car instead of the brakes.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:31 PM

E63
It is extremely difficult to cross-talk about automobile behavioral issues. The descriptors are ambiguous and imperfect. All I know is that I have a 2007 Ford Expedition with a 6 speed automatic that shifts perfectly--EVERYTIME, with no exceptions.

So, I expected the MB to shift perfectly since it costs 2 1/2 times more and presents itself as an upscale brand. Since I have now owned 53 automobiles, I have a sense of value in regards to what you get for the money.

I love the E63, but it should be PERFECT; not glitches, no apologies, no excuses.

So, I will take it back to the dealer; I will work with them to get the issues ironed out--but, that should have been done in the last few months--months that feedback has been provided to the company from users.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
It is extremely difficult to cross-talk about automobile behavioral issues. The descriptors are ambiguous and imperfect. All I know is that I have a 2007 Ford Expedition with a 6 speed automatic that shifts perfectly--EVERYTIME, with no exceptions.

So, I expected the MB to shift perfectly since it costs 2 1/2 times more and presents itself as an upscale brand. Since I have now owned 53 automobiles, I have a sense of value in regards to what you get for the money.

I love the E63, but it should be PERFECT; not glitches, no apologies, no excuses.

So, I will take it back to the dealer; I will work with them to get the issues ironed out--but, that should have been done in the last few months--months that feedback has been provided to the company from users.

Stay calm, buddy. It should be right. You are right about that, especially from a car with such a "smooth" band. That engine makes almost no TQ at the low end and there is no SC turning on and off. It should be SILK with 7 speeds.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:34 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS

No car ever made in its first year run has ever been perfect
Old 03-24-2007, 12:14 AM
JLP

Originally Posted by 05VENOM
No car ever made in its first year run has ever been perfect
Sort of true but the 722.9 has been around for a few years now and has had this "slam into first" issue on affected cars from the start. And many models have had this issue.

GL- R- ML- E- S have been the ones with the most tranny issues.

You would hope that after a few years with the same problem MB would have sorted it out by now?

Either they don't care or they can't figure it out. I am sure they care about their 120 year reputation, so why can't they get it right? Maybe they should go back to the 722.6.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:31 AM

1993 190E 2.6
Stab in the dark.

Maybe, your transmission runs off a computer, that, when it thinks your driving more aggresivly, it shifts more like a sports car. When you deicde to tone it down a bit, it might have a glitch making it not as smooth as it should be, in comfort shift mode.

MB might be compesating it with the valve thingy insted of finding the direct source.

I know jack about transmissions. I know less about the kind of car you have. I actually cant even remeber what kind it is at this very moment. But, Thats my thought on a possiblity that may not have been thought of yet.

good luck

Edit- I think someone mentioned software already.

Last edited by PhilipM1; 03-24-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:54 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Fast55
The 7 speed in our SLK55 does the exact same things. The harder you drive it, the harder it seems to downshift when coming up to a stop. Almost like you're manually down shifting. Same on upshifts if you suddenly start taking it easy, a little clunky.
My E55 does the same. The Jeep SRT8 has the exact same trans as the E55 as behaves identically. The harder you drive it (upshift/downshift/hold shifts) the trans adapts to the behavior, and if you aggressively downshift all the time....like in turns.....the trans will automatically "adapt" in this manner on its own under braking.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:33 AM
JLP

Originally Posted by sgtstanko
My E55 does the same. The Jeep SRT8 has the exact same trans as the E55 as behaves identically. The harder you drive it (upshift/downshift/hold shifts) the trans adapts to the behavior, and if you aggressively downshift all the time....like in turns.....the trans will automatically "adapt" in this manner on its own under braking.
The E55 has a (722.6) different tranny than the SLK55 (722.9). I think some people here who haven't felt the infamous clunk into first may be confusing aggressive shifts with a transmission doing something it shouldn't.

What still amazes me is that every Mercedes Benz- tech/advisor/salesperson knows about the 722.9 issues's...... yet MBUSA still drags their feet and play dumb when it comes time to address the problem.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
15 S550 Daily 96 Dodge Viper GTS
Cool

I have 800 miles on my E63. No problems with hard down shifts but have felt the clunky upshifts. But it does happen after you get on it a little.The trans almost pauses and then jumps in the next gear. It almost feels like its holding that gear incase you need to jump back on it.

A family member owns a E39 bmw 540 with a sports package. The trans will hold a gear the same way. The trick is to touch the gas pedal and it will shift smoothly. I will try this next time it feels like its pause's: nix:
Old 03-24-2007, 08:31 AM

E63
Below is some information I found after a superficial check on the internet. All these problems are well known and well documented. They are not related to "spirited driving."

My E63 has only been above 5000 RPM twice in the first 700 miles and one up to 120 MPH in 7th gear. Most of the time I drive it at 75-80 MPH (live in rural area.)

The problem is not related to driving style.

The TSBs are listed below and a couple of comments from a shop foreman.

Feb 9, 2007 2007010008 Campaign - MY2007 Check/update 722.9 transmission software; Update M273 SW if required

Nov 27, 2006 T-27.60/62E Auto Trans - Rough Shift Quality

Nov 7, 2006 T-27.60/68E Auto Trans - Uncomfortable 2-1 Coastdown Downshift

Oct 27, 2006 T-27.60/68D Auto Trans - Uncomfortable 2-1 Downshift When Coasting and or Braking

Jun 1, 2006 T-27.60/62C Auto Trans - Rough 1-2, 3-2, 2-1 Gearshifts

Apr 10, 2006 T-27.60/68C Auto Trans - Harsh 2-1 Downshift When Braking or Coasting

Mar 13, 2006 T-27.60/68B Auto Trans Controls - Uncomfortable 2-1 Downshift on Coastdown

Jan 20, 2006 T-27.60/68 Auto Trans Controls - Uncomfortable and or Harsh 2-1 Coast Downshift

Here are some comments from a shop foreman on mercedesshop.com.

Other important issue: early production W221s suffer from nightmarish complications on the 7G-speed transmission. MB insists they have cured most bugs, but I sincerely doubt it.
I disagree with this statement. It's true that the 722.9 transmission has caused major headaches for MBUSA, dealers, and most of all, MB owners. I usually get several cars in every day with transmission concerns ranging from harsh downshifting to slipping and everything in between. We fix them with either software, updated valve bodies, or every now and then a new transmission. I haven't had a single 221 come in with a transmission problem. Not one. I've seen how aggressively MB has been in dealing with this problem. The dealer support has been great. I can get timely, accurate information with just a phone call.

And in another thread:

The 722.9 transmission has had a variety of problems since day one. The majority of them can be fixed with software, in fact, there's a Service Campaign going on right now to update all affected vehicles. Some need to have "improved" internal parts installed. Others require replacement of the valve body(which includes the control unit). When all else fails, a small handful of vehicles will need new transmissions.

On the bright side, unlike 722.6, the 722.9 transmission doesn't have any problems with leaks.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:54 PM

2006 E55
We fix them with either software, updated valve bodies, or every now and then a new transmission. __________________
ILUVMILS
MB Master Technician/Dealer Shop Foreman

And in another thread:

On the bright side, unlike 722.6, the 722.9 transmission doesn't have any problems with leaks.

On the SRT8 side we have had the same issues with the seal leak and the TCU not shifting in time, causing the engine to hit redline at each shift. That caused the vehicle to just stall and lay over. It took a year but they finally sent out a reflash that made the trans very spirited. Much firmer shifts especially at 6200-6400 with no stall or stumble.....just a firm immediate shift. Both transmissions "behave" and "adapt" similar but the MB does not have the firm shift they have programmed into the SRT8.