Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Brake Pads

Who makes the best brake pads for the E55? Hawk, Pagid, etc.

Any are these aftermarket brake pads compatible with the engine's computer. I.e. will the check brakes lights come on if I use an aftermarket pad.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:42 PM

I don't know the answer to the brake pad question but where can I get the V1 etched into the rear view mirror in NY like yours.
Sorry not trying to hijack your thread....
You might wanna consider getting some carbon ceramic brakes...ha ha
Old 04-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
I have the Pagid and all I can say is brake bust, brake bust, brake bust.

I purchased them with the Evo rotors. The work well, are noise free but I expected less of a mess.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 AM

2006 E55
Has anyone tried Porterfield pads on the AMG???
They are available but do not have the sensor hole which I could probably live without.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I cant remember if I ended up getting the Pagid or Porterfield from Evosport with my rotors, but, they were great in the beginning and then as the rotors & pads wore in together, BRAKE DUST, BRAKE DUST.. Just like Rock says... LOL..

I dont think any pad on the E55 will lower the amount of brake dust....
Old 04-13-2007, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by vrus
I cant remember if I ended up getting the Pagid or Porterfield from Evosport with my rotors, but, they were great in the beginning and then as the rotors & pads wore in together, BRAKE DUST, BRAKE DUST.. Just like Rock says... LOL..

I dont think any pad on the E55 will lower the amount of brake dust....
Would you recommend them over the stock brake pads? Do they generate more dust?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Its hard to tell.. Let me just say this... After 1 day of highway driving and using the brakes, upon returning home, my shiney polished lips and black centers are all GREY..

Originally Posted by SleeperX
Would you recommend them over the stock brake pads? Do they generate more dust?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Sorry to necro this thread, but was wondering if anyone truly has found a better brake pad as far as dust goes. I need some new pads and would really like less brake dust.

I do not track the car, so please keep that in mind.

From what I have seen here is one other than Porterfield.

http://www.axxisbrakes.com/index.htm

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
If performance is not the issue, then I think Porterfield makes a road compund (or the one we use may be their road competition). If not, consider some OEM knockoffs. I'd try some cheap knock-offs. Most performance pads will definitely wear faster and generate more dust regardless.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
If dust is your #1 concern, simply use ANY ceramic pad and you will be very happy. See if EBC makes a Green stuff for you, or step up to the Red stuff, better bite, and still ceramic. Good luck my friend.

See yeah
Old 08-20-2008, 11:16 AM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
I agree, I have Pagid and it's all about DUST and then some. They stop the car just fine. I don't know that there is a difference in that from OEM.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
If dust is your #1 concern, simply use ANY ceramic pad and you will be very happy. See if EBC makes a Green stuff for you, or step up to the Red stuff, better bite, and still ceramic. Good luck my friend.

See yeah
+1

I have Akebono ceramics on my SL at the moment, and they make almost zero dust. Easily a 99% improvement over the stock Pagid pads that Mercedes puts on there.

They work the same as metallic or semi-metallic pads, but are actually easier on your rotors, and like I said before the dust virtually disappears. So in my experience, ceramics are definitely the way to go. The only downside is that they squeak in reverse, but I can certainly live with that when you weigh it against all of the other benefits.

Posi-Quiet just came out with a line of full-ceramics that are *allegedly* silent, owing to some kind of heat-treatment they do in the manufacturing process, so when I burn through the Akebonos I will probably give the Posi-Quiets a try-out.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Thanks for the info guys! Getting new wheels and was looking at keeping some brake dust off of them...especially since I am down to 4mm thickness on the front pads.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I remember vic told me once he had porterfields, and they didnt dust half as much as stock.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:26 PM

2005 Flint Grey E55
Ask Simon from Evosport. Seems like he has some good stuff and i believe he'll take care of you. He's been taking care of me for rotors and pads, with excellent service.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by CWW
+1

I have Akebono ceramics on my SL at the moment, and they make almost zero dust. Easily a 99% improvement over the stock Pagid pads that Mercedes puts on there.

They work the same as metallic or semi-metallic pads, but are actually easier on your rotors, and like I said before the dust virtually disappears. So in my experience, ceramics are definitely the way to go. The only downside is that they squeak in reverse, but I can certainly live with that when you weigh it against all of the other benefits.

Posi-Quiet just came out with a line of full-ceramics that are *allegedly* silent, owing to some kind of heat-treatment they do in the manufacturing process, so when I burn through the Akebonos I will probably give the Posi-Quiets a try-out.
The Posi-Quiet ceramic is not out yet according to the places I checked. Evosport seems to be selling Porterfield based on their part numbers.

Anyone use the EBC line? They have a red and yellow...the yellow seems to be their premium line ( http://www.buybrakes.com/store/EBC-DP41486R )

Here is a place that carries the Akebono (Tirerack only carries the rear brake pads for some reason ) http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...ercedes%20Benz
Old 08-20-2008, 03:47 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by Timeless
The Posi-Quiet ceramic is not out yet according to the places I checked. Evosport seems to be selling Porterfield based on their part numbers.

Anyone use the EBC line? They have a red and yellow...the yellow seems to be their premium line ( http://www.buybrakes.com/store/EBC-DP41486R )

Here is a place that carries the Akebono (Tirerack only carries the rear brake pads for some reason ) http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...ercedes%20Benz
Oh sorry, I thought the Posi's were out already.

I can personally vouch for the Akebonos being a good product, except of course for the squeak in reverse.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Timeless
I have the EBC on three of my toys. After using them once at Beaverun on my C32 I was hooked. Really a nice pad, oh yeah VERY little dust.

See yeah

PS: Save the yellows for tracked cars. Yes you can use them on the street, but if wifey drives it, she may have trouble with them until they get hot. AKA the pedal will need to be pushed NOTICABLY harder until they warm up.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 AM

I have the EBC on three of my toys. After using them once at Beaverun on my C32 I was hooked. Really a nice pad, oh yeah VERY little dust.

See yeah

PS: Save the yellows for tracked cars. Yes you can use them on the street, but if wifey drives it, she may have trouble with them until they get hot. AKA the pedal will need to be pushed NOTICABLY harder until they warm up.
I have a set of EBS RED pads for my e55 that i could only take for about 200 miles--they squeal like banshees when you are at slow speeds----changed them back out with new ATE pads and all is fine again!

Anyone that wants these red pads, ill give them for 100.00 for the set of all 4 wheels!---email me
Old 03-04-2011, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by atlantaman
I have a set of EBS RED pads for my e55 that i could only take for about 200 miles--they squeal like banshees when you are at slow speeds----changed them back out with new ATE pads and all is fine again!

Anyone that wants these red pads, ill give them for 100.00 for the set of all 4 wheels!---email me
I would bet that they were NEVER properly bedded my friend.

This is one of the biggest issues for ANY brake pad that is NOT bedded correctly.

There are reasons why manufacturers give instructions for their products, and this is one of them.

Anyway, good luck with the sale
Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
EBC carbon reds produce minimum dust, but a little squeak now and then. What I like best about their red compound is that they grab hard and evenly on ice cold rotors and can provide with a few extra milliseconds when you're doing about 135mph and someone doing 60 mph pulls out in front of you. And let's face it, those are the times you really need it.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660

This is one of the biggest issues for ANY brake pad that is NOT bedded correctly.

There are reasons why manufacturers give instructions for their products, and this is one of them.

So true. My Hawk HT10's on my track car were ****, until I bedded them.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR

Correct, the EBC reds have a very very specific bedding in process that is very different then other brake pads, if those instructions are not followed you will have pads that squeal.

For those who want to run EBC red, the pads already come with the first layer of brake pad with a bedding in compound, they advise that you simply just drive around for the first couple hundred miles before you do the standard 60-20 mph bedding in process.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/troubleshooting.shtml