W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final Argument on E55 price in US! Promise!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Final Argument on E55 price in US! Promise!

I know some may be tired of this debate but it does help some.

The last holdout on the price of the US E55 is 'stephens' from Australia. Quite frankly, the debate should not concern him because he is an Aussie and the topic/debate is for Yanks.

I have given example after example to logicallay show that the US E55 will not be based price at $85k usd but closer to $73k usd and Stephens insists on telling me and others that agree 'we are dreaming'.

Since the price of the E55 has not been released in US we can only guess - but to guess there is always a logical speculation based on information of similar cars and price increases.

Price increases are usually across the board and from 2001 to 2002 the increase was less than 1.5%. Stephens insists on stating that the prices will raise a stratospheric 15% solely on the E55 because that is what it did in Australia. Mercedes USA would not increase the price of every car by 1% and then decide to increase the E55 by 15% - makes no sense.

I asked Stephens for 2003 C32 price in Australia to compare to the US C32 and he states that the C32 has nothing to do with the cost of the E55 because all E55 will increase 15% all over the world. So to compare Aussie apples to Yank apples here goes:

2003 Aussie C32 is $150,074 aud:
Comand Nav standard
Rain Sensor standard
CD Changer standard

2003 US C32 is $51,065 usd:
Comand Nav $2125
Rain Sensor $205
CD Changer $400
Total for US C32 is $53,795

Currency Conversions:

$150,074 aud = $82,000 usd

$53,795 usd = $98,507 aud

So Yanks the Aussies are paying $82k usd for a comparable C32!

It gets worse for the Aussies. The 2003 E55 is $219,900 in Australia dollars. Conclusion - the Aussies are paying an equivolent of $120,153 US dollars for their E55. Damn, we are lucky. Aussies could buy a US SL55 for the money they pay for a E55.

Global World Market My *** -You Aussie's are paying extreme prices on Mercedes.

NO WONDER STEPHENS IS SO IRRITATED! I FEEL FOR YOU! I GUESS THE AUSSIE GOVERNMENT WOULD RATHER YOU GUYS BUY A HOLDEN. (www.hsv.com.au)

Australian C32 Price List

Last edited by E55 KEV; 10-09-2002 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smart Car
Re: Final Argument on E55 price in US! Promise!

Originally posted by E55 KEV
I know some may be tired of this debate but it does help some.

The last holdout on the price of the US E55 is 'stephens' from Australia. Quite frankly, the debate should not concern him because he is an Aussie and the topic/debate is for Yanks.

I have given example after example to logicallay show that the US E55 will not be based price at $85k usd but closer to $73k usd and Stephens insists on telling me and others that agree 'we are dreaming'.

Since the price of the E55 has not been released in US we can only guess - but to guess there is always a logical speculation based on information of similar cars and price increases.

Price increases are usually across the board and from 2001 to 2002 the increase was less than 1.5%. Stephens insists on stating that the prices will raise a stratospheric 15% solely on the E55 because that is what it did in Australia. Mercedes USA would not increase the price of every car by 1% and then decide to increase the E55 by 15% - makes no sense.

I asked Stephens for 2003 C32 price in Australia to compare to the US C32 and he states that the C32 has nothing to do with the cost of the E55 because all E55 will increase 15% all over the world. So to compare Aussie apples to Yank apples here goes:

2003 Aussie C32 is $150,074 aud:
Comand Nav standard
Rain Sensor standard
CD Changer standard

2003 US C32 is $51,065 usd:
Comand Nav $2125
Rain Sensor $205
CD Changer $400
Total for US C32 is $53,795

Currency Conversions:

$150,074 aud = $82,000 usd

$53,795 usd = $98,507 aud

So Yanks the Aussies are paying $82k usd for a comparable C32!

It gets worse for the Aussies. The 2003 E55 is $219,900 in Australia dollars. Conclusion - the Aussies are paying an equivolent of $120,153 US dollars for their E55. Damn, we are lucky. Aussies could buy a US SL55 for the money they pay for a E55.

Global World Market My *** -You Aussie's are paying extreme prices on Mercedes.

NO WONDER STEPHENS IS SO IRRITATED! I FEEL FOR YOU! I GUESS THE AUSSIE GOVERNMENT WOULD RATHER YOU GUYS BUY A HOLDEN. (www.hsv.com.au)

Australian C32 Price List

Again, Holy Moly! And this mate also stated that even at that inflated price he considers E55 a bargain because acordding to this "****" its a unique car. All I'm saying is that they have bigger problems there than simply "fat ***" taxes. The mentality and logic down there is on par with the taxes. What a confused sitizen from otherwise a beautifull continent.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:57 PM
Banned

Smart Car
Re: Final Argument on E55 price in US! Promise!

[B]I know some may be tired of this debate but it does help some.

Personally I'm not tired of this at all and learned A LOT about this far away land from you and its "*****" from a "*****" posts here .
Would like to say thatnk you.
If you go there you get kangas, ocean, Great Barrier and in return all one has to do is to be willing and able to put up with "*****" . Not bad.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
E55 Kev
I have respected you and your argument until this point. However you are now telling untruths to convince the world at large of you view.
You are obviously to stupid to understand the "logic" you so often quote so I won't bother anymore, but I won't stand by and watch you dribble nonsense

Pricing for the new E55 has been released ie There is no guessing prices for New Zealand, Europe and Australia. There may be other countries, but I have not checked.
In ALL of these there was a SIGNIFICANT price increase on the outgoing W210 E55.
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TAXES YOU MORONS. Every country that has had pricing released has had a major price rise. At the same time there have bee no real price rises on the rest of the W211 E class range, or in fact any other models.

Your logic is that because the US has seen an average price rise on model releases of around 1.5% per annum that this will continue.

Lastly I did not say the E55 was going to base at 85K I quoted a range of 75-85K and specifically quoted $77K plus taxes etc.

Why do you need to mis quote me to try and make a point?

You say i am the only 'holdout" left than conveniently forget to mention the board memebrs that have posted price quotes etc that disagree with your view.

Spirited debate is one thing but B.S.ing is another.

E55 Kev if you look a little more closely, you will see that the only supporter you have left is "Fast Eddy", doesn't that tell you something.

Last edited by stephens; 10-09-2002 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:07 PM

'06 E55
How much is the new E55 going to cost?? Just Kidding
Old 10-09-2002, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by stephens
E55 Kev
You are obviously to stupid to understand...THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TAXES YOU MORONS...
The loser in any debate is usually the guy that starts calling names. You don't have to call me names because Fast Eddy got you upset!

This line of posting would have never appeared until you started saying I was dreaming about the E55 being $74k. And now after all these months you finally post that you think the car would be $77k - Why on earth would I have a debate with anyone with all these damn numbers & facts, etc. about a difference in price of friggin $3,000. Get real!

Fast Eddy has his ways, and he has posted about me and called me names, but I am man and that type of B.S. does not bother me. He is not the only member on this board that can see the light and the logic especially after receiving a barrage of 'logical' information.

I posted quotes from the Australian Mecedes website stating that the prices are inclusive of GST and LST and you still say that taxes are moot. I ask you for the price of the E55 before GST and LST and you respond with nothing.

I don't post B.S. and I am man enough to admit when I am wrong and I also feel for you having to pay $120k for a $74k E55.

And today you still make no logical comments about the C32 comparisom.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, when there's an argument over internet message boards, NOTHING IS EVER ACCOMPLISHED. No one will say "OH *****, you're right!"

You will never convince stephens, he will never convince you.

The only thing you can hope to accomplish is to ridicule and belittle your opponent. And that's just plain fun!
Old 10-09-2002, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 Kev

Have a look at page 1 of your US Price 74K thread, about the sixth post "E55 Kev
I don't think your price of 74K as a base is that far off the money. I am guestimating a base price of $77K which would equate to around $82K driveaway if I understand US taxes etc."

What has the price of a C32 got to do with the price of E55's?? I have already told you that the price of the C32 was lower than the C43, just as it was in the US. That has always been part of my argument. Aust and other markets has seen the same relative price movements in new model releases as the US.

Australia has a luxury car tax of 30% on the price of a car above approx $50K. In addition we pay a 10%GST (goods and services tax). This applies to all cars not just the new E55. Again what has this to do with the percentage price increase of the W211 E55?

My point in this is was and always has been that your logic is basically flawed, not the specific issue of the price you are quoting. Yes my E55 is close to $250KAUD on road, but all of our prices are excessive, not just the new E55

E55 Kev, did you ever bother to read and try and understand what I was saying? Based on your first post in this thread I said that you were B.Sing because what you wrote conflicted with what has previously been posted. It seems to me now that you couldn't have been actually reading the replies, just seeing that they weren't in agreement with yourself and responding accordingly!

Lastly thank you for your concern as to the exhorbitant prices we pay for luxury vehicles. To be fair though we have great health care, social security etc and someones got to pay for it. Australia, Melbourne specifically was just nominated as the No 1 place in the world to live alongside Vancouver by a Washington research group.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by jl88
Actually, when there's an argument over internet message boards, NOTHING IS EVER ACCOMPLISHED. No one will say "OH *****, you're right!"

I am a gentleman and I think I would admit if I were wrong and so would some others. A person can know that they are misinformed and these boards are to share information and enlighten people all over the world.

Something has been accomplished - we all learned that the prices for Mercedes are exorbitant in Australia and not so bad afterall in the USA.

And even though the price of the US E55 has not been released I don't believe that anyone on this board will be erroneously stating that the US W211 E55 will have a base price of $85,000 because Mercedes added a supercharger or increased the HP nor should anyone be telling another member they are dreaming about the price of the E55 in the United States when the facts and data and price increases indicate that the price may be really close to the old E55.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:47 PM

FWIW, Stephens, I've been to Vancouver, Melbourne, Sydney and most other 'world's best' type cities (London, Paris, Rome, HK, etc)
If the exorbitant taxes you pay are part of the reason Oz's best cities are what they are, then paying those taxes is well worth it.

Sydney and Melbourne have most of what's good about the 21st century, but have held on to most of what WAS good about the USA back in the 1950's and early 1960's. Won't last, I fear, as the world becomes smaller and smaller, but you should be very proud of your major cities.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:27 AM
Banned

Smart Car
[QUOTE]Originally posted by E55 KEV
[B]The loser in any debate is usually the guy that starts calling names. You don't have to call me names because Fast Eddy got you upset!

This line of posting would have never appeared until you started saying I was dreaming about the E55 being $74k. And now after all these months you finally post that you think the car would be $77k - Why on earth would I have a debate with anyone with all these damn numbers & facts, etc. about a difference in price of friggin $3,000. Get real!

Fast Eddy has his ways, and he has posted about me and called me names, but I am man and that type of B.S. does not bother me. He is not the only member on this board that can see the light and the logic especially after receiving a barrage of 'logical' information.

I posted quotes from the Australian Mecedes website stating that the prices are inclusive of GST and LST and you still say that taxes are moot. I ask you for the price of the E55 before GST and LST and you respond with nothing.

Honestly, do not remember calling you a name so I will say that you are incorrect.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:38 AM
Banned

Smart Car
Originally posted by jl88

You will never convince stephens, he will never convince you.

The only thing you can hope to accomplish is to ridicule and belittle your opponent. And that's just plain fun!

Sarcastic sob. Were you the one who one month ago totally lost it and posted a what I thought was a riddle of some kind with a mixture of Eminem, baggy pants and some other nonsence in it?
Old 10-10-2002, 12:48 AM
Banned

Smart Car
Originally posted by amg55
FWIW, Stephens, I've been to Vancouver, Melbourne, Sydney and most other 'world's best' type cities (London, Paris, Rome, HK, etc)
If the exorbitant taxes you pay are part of the reason Oz's best cities are what they are, then paying those taxes is well worth it.

Sydney and Melbourne have most of what's good about the 21st century, but have held on to most of what WAS good about the USA back in the 1950's and early 1960's. Won't last, I fear, as the world becomes smaller and smaller, but you should be very proud of your major cities.

Yes, mate, taxes, bulls eye! In fact all the goodness that that you have seen there was paid for by the taxes that stephens paid on one Mercedes.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:52 AM
mnh
Almost a Member!

Just to add to the pricing debate:

In New Zealand the recommended retail price is $225,000, which is equivalent to $US105,750. Unlike Australia we do not have a luxury tax.

The spec for this price comprises:

Rain sensor
Parktronic
Rear side airbags
Nokia mobile phone (382)
Moon roof (414)
Comand with DVD navigation
CD changer

I don't know how this works back to a base price in US dollars but it would be interesting to know.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:50 AM
mnh
Almost a Member!

If all the items above are options on the USA E55 the base price would be $US94,410. Still expensive, but not as bad as Australia and after claiming back the majority of the 12.5% GST for business use, the base price comes back to somewhere around $US84,000.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In Australia these options are all standard, bar the parktronic. I think that the base model E55 comes pretty well loaded anyway.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Originally posted by mnh
If all the items above are options on the USA E55 the base price would be $US94,410. Still expensive, but not as bad as Australia and after claiming back the majority of the 12.5% GST for business use, the base price comes back to somewhere around $US84,000.
Damn! when will the madness Stop? Now we have a New Zealander saying the US E55 will 'base price' at $84/94k! What is it going to take to get you island guys to stop making erroneus guesses about the price of cars in the US? Jeez!
Old 10-10-2002, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fast Eddy
[B]
Fast Eddy has his ways, and he has posted about me and called me names, but I am man and that type of B.S. does not bother me.

Honestly, do not remember calling you a name so I will say that you are incorrect.
Fast Eddy, don't worry about it. When I first joined this board I still had a 98 E430 and a member name of 'E55 KEV'. I was in the process of buying an E55. You called me "E55 KEV WANNABEE" based on the fact the I called myself 'E55 KEV' and was driving a E430 and did not own an E55.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 10-10-2002 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:58 PM
mnh
Almost a Member!

Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Damn! when will the madness Stop? Now we have a New Zealander saying the US E55 will 'base price' at $84/94k! What is it going to take to get you island guys to stop making erroneus guesses about the price of cars in the US? Jeez!
E55Kev, you are misreading my intention. All I was trying to say was that the the price in New Zealand was equivalent to X US dollars, I was not making any comment about what the price might eventually be in the USA. I just thought knowing the US price equivalent in another country might be helpful or at least interesting.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mnh
E55 Kev doesn't appear to be interested in knowing any facts unless they support his theories. Just agree with him and walk away. he has already started casting aspersions on Kiwis in other threads based on your perceived lack of support of his theories.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honestly, do not remember calling you a name so I will say that you are incorrect
Fast Eddy you spend you life on this board insulting MB owners. There isn't a member here of any reasonable time who you haven't insulted. You may be posting here for entertainment value, but most are here because we really have these cars and are looking to exchange information and ideas, not continually take cheap shots at each other.
I suspect if I did a search and copied each of your rude posts in one thread it would compare in size with the "word association" thread in the off topic section!
Old 10-11-2002, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is the term Kiwi Bad?

Originally posted by stephens
mnh
E55 Kev doesn't appear to be interested in knowing any facts unless they support his theories. Just agree with him and walk away. he has already started casting aspersions on Kiwis in other threads based on your perceived lack of support of his theories.
I am not perfect! If if referred to someone as a 'Kiwi' I sincerely apologize. Maybe I did not know that it was an bad term. When I used the term Aussie or Bloke (for Brits) I refer to Americans as Yanks. Sorry for offending.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 10-11-2002 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:53 PM
mnh
Almost a Member!

There is nothing offensive about calling a New Zealander a "Kiwi". The kiwi is our national symbol.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:09 PM
mnh
Almost a Member!

As far as not supporting E55Kev's theories is concerned, I am neither for nor against them. I think there is merit in the argument that compared to the outgoing model the new E55 pricing will increase by the same percentage in USA as it has elsewhere. If it is 15% elsewhere it seems logical you won't be far wrong adding 15% to the current USA W210 E55 price.

On the other hand USA always seems to get cheaper pricing than other countries. So there may be some adjustment.

But it's all speculation, and hardly worth fighting over. At the end of the day the base price in the States will be whatever the base price is going to be, and you will either pay up or walk away. Your choice.

Last edited by mnh; 10-11-2002 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by mnh
On the other hand USA always seems to get cheaper pricing than other countries. So there may be some adjustment.

Since this board is about informing. I looked at the price of the SL55 in US and UK. The Brits pay far more for that car also and the converted monetary pricing give the cheaper cost for the US.

MBUSA shows the 2003 SL55 as $113,915 usd before taxes.

That would be equal to &72,854 British Pounds.

The Brits pay &89,040 gbp according to www.mercedes.co.uk which is equal to $139,294 usd. However, their site states &89,040 is "on the road price" and that usually means including taxes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Final Argument on E55 price in US! Promise!