W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Kleemann / ASP/ RENNTECH Pulley question!!!!!!!!!********

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation *** Kleemann / ASP/ RENNTECH Pulley question!!!!!!!!!********

Question-

Is it possible to install the Kleemann / asp/ renntech pulley without the software?

How does the car respond without the ecu changes? a/f ratio?

Thanks for the help!

-Jordan
Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=pulley

I hope those help you out. Searching does wonders
Old 07-02-2007, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
My understanding is no. From what Kleeman told me, the pulley increases boost but the ecu has to be re-programmed to provide the correct AF for the increased boost. This is my understanding.

Originally Posted by jdj27x
Question-

Is it possible to install the Kleemann / asp/ renntech pulley without the software?

Thanks for the help!

-Jordan
Old 07-02-2007, 12:10 AM

I tried to search and didnt find anything!

I guess after you have 25,000 posts your searching skills might be better

Thanks bro, ill check out those links!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
I've had an ASP pulley for 7 months without an ecu tune. Does it run rich? Yes.
Does it run fast? Oh heck yeah.

Do I care enough to have an ecu flash that's no different from one car to another? No.

One day, specific tuning will be available for each car, then I'm up for it.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Question-

Thanks for the help!

-Jordan
no you dont need the ecu done. but if you go ASP you better get cooling upgrade.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by jcjmw
My understanding is no. From what Kleeman told me, the pulley increases boost but the ecu has to be re-programmed to provide the correct AF for the increased boost. This is my understanding.
I disagree. I do not think that ANY of the aftermarket pulleys "need" the ECU tune to get gains. in fact, I'd love to see data separating the two components and seeing just what each gives. Once you have added pulley, headers, TB, etc. to open up the air, then yes an ecu tune can help. Also, it can raise your rev limiter (some cases) and speed limiter. Lastly, it can set the car up for optimum octane. But that is all it is good for until you hit igher stages.

The car runs so rich as it is. Adding a little boost just doesn't take that rich away.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:36 AM

THE MASTER HAS SPOKENN!

Jangy,

I read that the pulley might cause increased jerkyness or harshness of sc engagment without the software....? any truth?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm running an ASP with no software. The car is a bit jerky, and downshifts from 2nd to 1st can sometimes be mildly violent, but the car runs great overall. Power feels unlimited and acceleration is linear and significantly faster than a stock E55. My father has a stock '04, and I can most definitely notice a difference between the two. So far the car has had no problems with cooling (I did have the problem with the IC shutoff, but the dealer fixed that and its been fine since) and idle is constant and unwavering. Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 AM

what causes the jerkyness?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
My car is with Renntech pulley w/o ECU update. Increase in power? Yes... I could feel it. Plus, S/C whine is a little louder now due to increase in boost.

The car has worse jerk when S/C engages. According to Adam the tuner, it can be minimized by remapping the ECU. I'm not that techie... but that's what he told me.

He suggested me the following upgrades after pulley upgrades: ECU, cooling and then other stuff like aux. tensioner, TB, header, etc.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
I've had an ASP pulley for 7 months without an ecu tune. Does it run rich? Yes.
Does it run fast? Oh heck yeah.

Do I care enough to have an ecu flash that's no different from one car to another? No.

One day, specific tuning will be available for each car, then I'm up for it.
..............If your car is actually running rich, then that is not bad. You don't need an ECU tune. Your car is safe.

Ted
Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
A couple of things ... the jerkyness is lag of the S/C spooling up / boost build up / clutch engaging and perhaps some belt slip ... - this BTW is only from when the S/C is disengaged to engaging - if its already engaged and you floor it - its whiplash city ...

On the ECU - I have a theory here where I think the ECU sees the higher boost and dumps fuel to protect the motor... i.e. even more than in a stock setup where the car runs rich. Not ideal by any means, but also means you can run without ecu tune but you will be leaving power on the table if you do not do a tune. This will also only help if the car is runnign cool enough. If IAT's get too high timing will be pulled / and or fuel dumped ... so even a tune may not work as desired unless motor is seeing cool enough IAT's.

The problem is finding a specific tune for your mods - e.g. TB, Headers, Pulley, Fuel, Airbox, Filters, cooling system all contribute to how agressive the tune can be.

The only guys I know who do custom tunes is Wetterauer. I will go with them once all my mods are finally installed ...

It seems the concensus is you need to start off with cooling the motor more before you add any more boost...

Last edited by stevebez; 07-02-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by stevebez
On the ECU - I have a theory here where I think the ECU sees the higher boost and dumps fuel to protect the motor... i.e. even more than in a stock setup where the car runs rich. Not ideal by any means, but also means you can run without ecu tune but you will be leaving power on the table if you do not do a tune. This will also only help if the car is runnign cool enough. If IAT's get too high timing will be pulled / and or fuel dumped ... so even a tune may not work as desired unless motor is seeing cool enough IAT's.
I thought this might be the case as well, particuarly for cars with after market pullies. However, yesterday I came up with another explanation. Belt slippage. Does the A/f ratio become rich because the ECU is dumping fuel or because the belt is slipping causing the car to suck in less air. I believe both would cause the A/F ratio to become rich.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by SleeperX
I thought this might be the case as well, particuarly for cars with after market pullies. However, yesterday I came up with another explanation. Belt slippage. Does the A/f ratio become rich because the ECU is dumping fuel or because the belt is slipping causing the car to suck in less air. I believe both would cause the A/F ratio to become rich.
I also think this is the reason, that is why the the VRP belt wrap kit is needed.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Shaun
I also think this is the reason, that is why the the VRP belt wrap kit is needed.
We shall soon find out..
Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
one of my first upgrades was a Kleemann pulley without any software upgrade. It made a big difference and a/f was still ok, with no evidence of belt slippage. S/C whine much more noticeable, sounded great btw, my car had the "reflash" and still ran strong stock and after the pulley mods...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have ran both my AMG's with no ECU and aftermarket pullies.. no issues with engine codes ect..

I do agree, the ASP pulley is a great, but cooling mods should be 2nd in line vs the ECU.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
THE MASTER HAS SPOKENN!

Jangy,

I read that the pulley might cause increased jerkyness or harshness of sc engagment without the software....? any truth?

I personally do not think that the ECU tune will make the jerkiness any milder. That is simply a side effect of having a larger pulley working against the engagement and disengagement of the clutch. You could have the ECU tuned so that it would do the engagement and disengagement at varying times, making it seem less jerky, but you'll lose power that way.

I don't think that even the ASP pulley is big enough to cause fuel dump. The car runs rich OEM. With a pulley, it actually runs slightly less so, but still rich. If the pulley were causing the dump, you'd be seeing A/F dumping AFTER the pulley and that is not what I see.

I personally do not want the ASP for 2 reasons. 1st, I am scared of the re-machined OEM part concept for high speed parts. Second, I see that size as going beyond diminishing returns. The added boost is minimal and the added weight is NOT.

For me, I'd love to find a nicely engineered 170mm with weight reduction.

None of this has anything to do with ECU, but again I say show me the data. Why has nobody EVER posted the gains from a stage 1 ECU tune, especially on an '06 (made in '06)?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by SleeperX
At any price, gas is cheaper than valves and pistons
Old 07-03-2007, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by jangy
I don't think that even the ASP pulley is big enough to cause fuel dump. The car runs rich OEM. With a pulley, it actually runs slightly less so, but still rich. If the pulley were causing the dump, you'd be seeing A/F dumping AFTER the pulley and that is not what I see.
That's exactly what I see, the exhaust tips are more fouled than ever before the pulley went on. Can't even blame it on summer blend gas. The A/F ratio on before and after dynos was < 10. Just awful, but the Dynojet doesn't measure below 10, so I'm flatlined at 5k rpm's.

I personally do not want the ASP for 2 reasons. 1st, I am scared of the re-machined OEM part concept for high speed parts.
Is that based on your experience with the "name" brand stuff? Was the problem finally determined to be parts or installation?

Second, I see that size as going beyond diminishing returns. The added boost is minimal and the added weight is NOT.
Beg to differ, size does matter!
Explain the "added weight" issue to me, I'm not clear on that at all.