W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63 SAT Radio Signal Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
E63 SAT Radio Signal Problems

Anyone have problems with this? I just activated it for the sake of it to see what its all about and it keeps cutting in and out losing signal. Its annoying and seems something is wrong.

Is this normal? I never had this service before but I do know years back my SAT at home would go in and out in a bad storm but this radio is just retarded it plays for 3 min then looses signal over and over again.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by BenzoManNY
Anyone have problems with this? I just activated it for the sake of it to see what its all about and it keeps cutting in and out losing signal. Its annoying and seems something is wrong.

Is this normal? I never had this service before but I do know years back my SAT at home would go in and out in a bad storm but this radio is just retarded it plays for 3 min then looses signal over and over again.
I used to have XM radio in my S4 and it never went out, then I got my E55 and I noticed the Sirius goes out every once in a while so I think it may be normal. I did a case study in school a month or two ago about the satellites and apparently Sirius uses crappy ones and that could be part of the problem.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
I have Sirius in 3 of my cars and it is as reliable as my previous couple of XM installations (factory and aftermarket). The only time I lose my signal is a couple 100' on my road where the trees completely cover the road.

BenzoMan - sounds like you're having a lot of issues with your car. Have you taken it to the dealer?
Old 07-16-2007, 03:53 PM

car is going in WED, i never listen to radio i just activated for the sake of trying it on a trip.

Every time i loose signal i am in a wide open area, no trees or buildings/powerlines. My standard radio works perfectly. I wonder if the free trial 6 month period gives you a weaker signal, that id like to know if its some bogus gimick to make you sign up
Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Ive had problems with mine cutting in and out, usually in the same part of town. The interesting thing is there are no structures that would block the signal and no power lines either. When I told the dealership I thought it was the antenna, they said, "next time you get and -no signal- warning, bring it in and we'll run a diagnostic." Brilliant thinking!
Old 07-16-2007, 04:39 PM

2016 S550
I have the same problems and have been working with the dealership since I purchased my car. So far we have replaced the antenna and cabling from the antenna to the SAT system, next step is to replace the SAT itself. I believe that it is an issue with some of our radios....one of my neighbors has a new Range Rover and his Sirius SAT does not give him any problems (it is also apparently the only thing working properly on his vehicle!), therefore the signal should be OK for my area. I cannot think of anything else other than a problem with the SAT radio or its signal amplifier.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:52 PM

2010 ML 350 Bluetec

I am having drops also. I have XM in the H2 and it always works great. This one drops signals too often.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:54 PM

im glad to hear the replies something is wrong with the service or the hardware in these new cars. Im glad im not into it to go crazy over it ill mention it to dealer and see what they say
Old 07-16-2007, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Benzo you are not alone many posts, over same issue "dropped Signal".
I would caution you on hopes of better reception, I gave up, and moved on to an I-Pod in the glove box 7 CDs and Free FM.

FWIW the XM in my Suburban never drops out.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:14 AM

2015 BMW 640ix GC (Ruby Black)

Yea, my SAT radio drops pretty frequently. Granted, the locations in which the signal fails are consistent, it's just that there are too many of them. I chalk it up to Sirius being lousy and/or my locations being tough for SAT signals.

I've got enough problems with the car, don't need to be futzing with the radio just yet.

For me it's academic anyway as I don't think I'll be signing up when my free period expires: Sirius just doesn't have the stations I like (e.g. big band).

=NLK=
Old 07-17-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
I also get occasional drops in reception. I don't understand why they don't put a 15 to 30 second buffer in these things to take care of this.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by rolngta
I am having drops also. I have XM in the H2 and it always works great. This one drops signals too often.

Hey did you do the Ironman?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:54 PM

is this Sirius a new thing i thought its been out for years , well its obvious the service and hardware sucks.

Is this an option for us to pay on the cars MSRP? I know BMW charges like $600, and to be hoenst they can keep it.

I wonder how my dealer will diagnose the problem when i drop off in the morning
Old 07-17-2007, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
BenzoMan - maybe it's regional? I'm north of Washington, DC. I have Sirius in 3 of my vehicles (ML, E and Nissan Titan) - all of them work perfectly.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:15 PM

it may be regional to some extent but my Dad(lives 10 miles from me) has XM and Sirius in his cars and they work perfect he told me it must be the car. He said he never looses signal maybe in a tunnel. Im loosing signal on the open roads no trees, buildings etc.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:27 PM

03 E55
I have Sirius in both my Lexus (aftermarket) and MB (factory). Though it drops sometimes, the aftermarket system holds the signal much better. I think it has something to do with the MB antenna design. Wonder if there is a better antenna to use, or diversity??? Any audio guru's out there?