Sponsored by:

E63 Hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Originally Posted by 05VENOM
FYI..I had my tranny/ecu software updated twice and still have some hesitation as I described above...just think it is characteristic of our cars..not normal but just a characteristic.
I understand on what you are saying, however, there has to be something that will cause this to happen. Back in the carb days...if the engine hesitates, it was either timing, or the carb.....why can't it be those today. IMHO I really think it boils down to emmissions....can't advance the timing too much or add fuel to compensate for the lag.....we are getting the engine flashed, and the transmission flashed which is no more than playing with the fuel A/R and timing....and the other strange thing is that I don't get the hesitation in any gear except 1st and MAYBE second if I am turning the corner and give it a little gas...off idle is where it is happening....damn I wish someone was smart enough with instruments to figure this out.......!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
I understand on what you are saying, however, there has to be something that will cause this to happen. Back in the carb days...if the engine hesitates, it was either timing, or the carb.....why can't it be those today. IMHO I really think it boils down to emmissions....can't advance the timing too much or add fuel to compensate for the lag.....we are getting the engine flashed, and the transmission flashed which is no more than playing with the fuel A/R and timing....and the other strange thing is that I don't get the hesitation in any gear except 1st and MAYBE second if I am turning the corner and give it a little gas...off idle is where it is happening....damn I wish someone was smart enough with instruments to figure this out.......!!!!
I agree it is computer/software related. I only get it in 1st gear.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
It definately is only off idle in first for me, never happens if I hit d/s then downshift to 1st with the stick shift.. Try it , car leaps out everytime unless you accelerate wildly , brake then depress wildly again...My car shift at 6800-7k everytime when WOT and 2nd gear is great , 3rd and 4th ...1st gear is what needs training and the most aggresive pedaling
Old 11-29-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by juicee63
It definately is only off idle in first for me, never happens if I hit d/s then downshift to 1st with the stick shift.. Try it , car leaps out everytime unless you accelerate wildly , brake then depress wildly again...My car shift at 6800-7k everytime when WOT and 2nd gear is great , 3rd and 4th ...1st gear is what needs training and the most aggresive pedaling
Yep.............+1
Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 AM

e63 amg 2007
Hesitation

It is only off idle in first for me too.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
This is really interesting......

My hesitation is never from 1st to 2nd and never in sport mode. My car's hesitation happens from 2nd to 3rd only on comfort mode and only if I'm pressing the gas pedal very slowly

If different people are getting different hesitation points, this could mean that this "hesitation" is related to ECU adaptation based on each driver's style of driving.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:30 PM

2016 S550
My hesitation is only in Sport mode, from 1st to 2nd when the car is cold. I do not have any hesitation in Comfort mode when the car is cold and the Sport Mode hesitation reduces significantly once the car is up to temperature.

By the way, my hesitation only began when the transmission was recently re-flashed. Prior to the re-flash, my car always started in 2nd (Sport or Comfort) unless I had been driving aggressively and now starts in 1st when in Sport Mode and 2nd when in Comfort Mode.

Is this some form of protection for the transmission until the car is up to temp?

Last edited by MikeAg; 12-03-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 PM

e63 amg 2007
Hesitation

My car only hesitates from idle to first. Only does so when coming to a quick stop and then immediately accelerating. It does not matter if I am in comfort or sport mode and does not matter if car is hot or cold (although seems to be worse when car is cold).

I refuse to believe that I have to train my car not to do that. If that is the case, how did I train it to do that in the first place? Is being an aggressive driver causing my car to hesitate? That does not make any sense.

As I mentioned in a post several months ago, my problem started when Mercedes gave me my first software upgrade, at around 6,000 miles. They have not been able to fix the problem in the two times I have brought it in since and deny they are responsible for the problem (although they do admit it hesitates and will "keep me updated with any software updates").
Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 PM

Makes me really appreciate my traction control-less, cruise control-less, bare basics Viper.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 05VENOM
Makes me really appreciate my traction control-less, cruise control-less, bare basics Viper.
05VENOM, I heard you're going to Atco on 12/4....... I'm so excited that an E63 is finally going to run at that track. The pressure will be on you to run at least one sub 12 second run and make us proud

Good luck......
Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by cotodad
My car only hesitates from idle to first. Only does so when coming to a quick stop and then immediately accelerating. It does not matter if I am in comfort or sport mode and does not matter if car is hot or cold (although seems to be worse when car is cold).

I refuse to believe that I have to train my car not to do that. If that is the case, how did I train it to do that in the first place? Is being an aggressive driver causing my car to hesitate? That does not make any sense.

As I mentioned in a post several months ago, my problem started when Mercedes gave me my first software upgrade, at around 6,000 miles. They have not been able to fix the problem in the two times I have brought it in since and deny they are responsible for the problem (although they do admit it hesitates and will "keep me updated with any software updates").
I am with you.....I too can't believe that you have to "train" the car not to hesitate....maybe to increase it to red line...or shift higher, but the hesitation is strictly engine (transmission?) related. Just curious, what are all of the flashes we get on our cars for...or what do they do...it seems like my dealer really does not know..or if he does he is not saying!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
05VENOM, I heard you're going to Atco on 12/4....... I'm so excited that an E63 is finally going to run at that track. The pressure will be on you to run at least one sub 12 second run and make us proud

Good luck......
First...I am very excited about the track rental. I can really concentrate on launch techniques and adjusting the tire pressures. It is very difficult to do these things on an average Wed/Fri at E-town, always too crowded.
Second...I have never run the car in cold temps. Most of my runs have been over the summer, just a few in cooler temps. Forecast is however calling for very windy and cold conditions. Atco is in southwest NJ. Will find out later today if it is a 100% go.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:23 PM

GT3
Well, mine still hestitates and now the speed controller has failed. I'm getting the run around on how they don't see the hesitation I'm talking about. I'm also getting tired of their "this is a high performance vehicle" speech. They are completely denying any type of responsibility for this hesitation. Thing that really pisses me off is I never had the hesitation until the new trans went in And even on trans two now the speed controller failed. Is anyone with CLK 63 BS' having any of these issues we're having?
Old 12-08-2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
Well, mine still hestitates and now the speed controller has failed. I'm getting the run around on how they don't see the hesitation I'm talking about. I'm also getting tired of their "this is a high performance vehicle" speech. They are completely denying any type of responsibility for this hesitation. Thing that really pisses me off is I never had the hesitation until the new trans went in And even on trans two now the speed controller failed. Is anyone with CLK 63 BS' having any of these issues we're having?
I posted a comment on the BS board and so far...only one responded,,but he said that he didn't have any issues...I guess we are the lucky ones..!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:02 AM

GT3
I am now being told from the main rep it is a design feature built into the ecu BS has a whole new meaning here New speed sensor is in and we'll see how long before the next trans failure. Not sure I want to live with the hestitation
Old 12-14-2007, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I am now being told from the main rep it is a design feature built into the ecu BS has a whole new meaning here New speed sensor is in and we'll see how long before the next trans failure. Not sure I want to live with the hestitation

Sounds like attorney time.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Sounds like attorney time.
+1

You have to take a strong stand or they'll walk all over you
Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 AM

"DESIGN FEATURE"...........I got their design feature........you're right about BS having a whole new meaning.......I never had a trans failure so I can't comment on that...however...I am scheduled to have the MB rep. see and drive the vehicle,,sometime soon,,my guess after the holidays. I can't believe that all E63 are not effected....or maybe we are the lucky ones that MB chose at no cost to have that "design feature"
Old 12-15-2007, 03:06 AM

GT3
Yeah, I'm in the process of building a strong case. Only bummer is I love everything about the car other than the hesitation/problems and I have no idea what to replace it with The other problem with lemon law at this point is they are saying the hesitation isn't considered a problem. They are saying it has to be a hard failure. They are probably just hoping I'll go away, but not gonna happen. I'm confident it will act up again....
Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 AM

Yeah, I'm in the process of building a strong case. Only bummer is I love everything about the car other than the hesitation/problems and I have no idea what to replace it with The other problem with lemon law at this point is they are saying the hesitation isn't considered a problem. They are saying it has to be a hard failure. They are probably just hoping I'll go away, but not gonna happen. I'm confident it will act up again....
+1.......yep...I love the car just the same.....EXCEPT for the hesitation. Like me...I am not going away. Hey...mine does it all of the time,,I don't have to wait until it acts up again...but to my dealers credit,,,they have tried very hard and the last flash,,according to the butt dyno..thinks that there was an improvement off the line...but the hesitation is still there. I wonder...do they have X amount of flashes for the ECU depending on what the problem is or what...maybe I'll ask that question or maybe someone else might know that answer, because it seems kind of weird that my jump off the line improved by a substantial amount, but the hesitation was still there!!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
"DESIGN FEATURE"...........I got their design feature........you're right about BS having a whole new meaning.......I never had a trans failure so I can't comment on that...however...I am scheduled to have the MB rep. see and drive the vehicle,,sometime soon,,my guess after the holidays. I can't believe that all E63 are not effected....or maybe we are the lucky ones that MB chose at no cost to have that "design feature"
Give them hell Walt!
Design feature
Old 12-15-2007, 07:41 PM

GT3
Mine hesitates all the time too, by acting up I meant another failure of some sort. My tech spent alot of time on the trans and the car runs very hard and strong now. The hesitation is still the same. They told me to take it to Renntech and have them fix it. I asked them if they were paying and why I should have Renntech fix their mess
Old 12-16-2007, 11:17 AM

Mine hesitates all the time too, by acting up I meant another failure of some sort. My tech spent alot of time on the trans and the car runs very hard and strong now. The hesitation is still the same. They told me to take it to Renntech and have them fix it. I asked them if they were paying and why I should have Renntech fix their mess
I still haven't received a response from MB yet....wonder how long that will take....like you...my car runs very hard and strong also...now if they could eliminate that hesitation....it would be right on....!!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:29 PM

GT3
Has anyone talked with Renntech to see if they think or have fixed this hesitation problem. My tech also said the software that seems better is 06 of 07. Have no idea what it means, but it sounded good Maybe Rentech can help and if it's reasonable I would rather fix it then move into another car....
Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 PM

e63 amg 2007
Hesitation fix?

Haven't been here in awhile. I figured out what I will do to fix my hesitation. I will buy the 2010.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 Hesitation