Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63 Hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT3
LOL... Just tried that, well sort of, and it went into neutral and wouldn't come out. Had to pull off the highway, rather coast off the highway, and then shut the car off and then on to get it to catch a gear to drive home. I manual shifted to fifth, got on it, and off to neutral it went The selector stated 5th, but nothing. It wouldn't even grab by going into neutral and then back into drive. It was completely locked up and I couldn't even switch over to comfort or manual. It just stayed in 5th/sport so it said, but free revved as if it was in neutral. Very odd stuff. But this is strike three on the trans???

Last edited by Most-Wanted; 11-25-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:24 AM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
I hope that this is not the sign of things to come...my hesitation is still there somewhat, but a lot better.....I know that everyone seems to think transmission...but I still think its in the engine...maybe I am wrong...but it sure feels that way. With some of these programable transmissions that can shift in micro seconds.....the hesitation is felt in tenths of seconds or greater.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
LOL... Just tried that, well sort of, and it went into neutral and wouldn't come out. Had to pull off the highway, rather coast off the highway, and then shut the car off and then on to get it to catch a gear to drive home. I manual shifted to fifth, got on it, and off to neutral it went The selector stated 5th, but nothing. It wouldn't even grab by going into neutral and then back into drive. It was completely locked up and I couldn't even switch over to comfort or manual. It just stayed in 5th/sport so it said, but free revved as if it was in neutral. Very odd stuff. But this is strike three on the trans???

WOW!

Sounds like they owe you a new transmission. Apparantly they have been pulling them out in mass. Take it in asap. SUCKS. Make sure you post any new bulletins, maybe there will be a transmission recall? Seems many owners are having issues with the shifting and or lack of timing and shifting
Old 11-25-2007, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
According to my dealer, they actually have been changing the 7 speed tranny quite a bit in the last year (not only in AMGs but in non-AMG models as well). My dealer showed me a 2007 S550 that had the tranny changed twice in one year
Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
I must be extremely lucky. I drive fairly hard and have over 50 passes in the 1320 and no tranny problems. I do have hesitation but it is worse when cold ( just firing her up). If I had an opinion it would be tranny/ecu related NOT engine related. Heck my car's idle purrs like a cat.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
15 S550 Daily 96 Dodge Viper GTS
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 05VENOM
I must be extremely lucky. I drive fairly hard and have over 50 passes in the 1320 and no tranny problems. I do have hesitation but it is worse when cold ( just firing her up). If I had an opinion it would be tranny/ecu related NOT engine related. Heck my car's idle purrs like a cat.

+1

My 63 hasn't missed a beat even barks second gear when pressed. And since the new brake pads were installed not one peep in 5k miles.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:14 PM

Mine purrs also....HOWEVER......the hesitation is off-idle and not when you are in passing gear. I can be in first gear and depress the accelerator when turning a corner and I get a slight bog....off line...driving on the interstate and accelerating,,,,,whatever, I get that slight bog....it always happens off idle, not when shifting, or going through the gears!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
Mine purrs also....HOWEVER......the hesitation is off-idle and not when you are in passing gear. I can be in first gear and depress the accelerator when turning a corner and I get a slight bog....off line...driving on the interstate and accelerating,,,,,whatever, I get that slight bog....it always happens off idle, not when shifting, or going through the gears!
My car did that untill i had the transmission flashed in Aug. Are you in First gear when it happends?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:38 PM

When I do get the hesitation it is also off idle. Does not happen much after car is warmed up..might still be present but VERY slight.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:39 PM

When I do get the hesitation it is also off idle. Does not happen much after car is warmed up..might still be present but VERY slight.
Yep to both.........you guys have the same issue as I did and do. I did have my transmission flashed about 2 months and its a whole lot better...BUT there is still slight hesitation.......BTW when they flashed my transmission, I swear the butt dyno says something more was done...to the better!!!

Has your SA gave any indications on a fix or do they even know about this??
Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Before I had my tranny and ecu reflashed, the car would not boil the tires with esp off, but shifted at 6600-6800 in first. Then I had the reflash, car boils tires off idle, but shifts at 6200. Occasionally, I feel some off idle hesitation after slowing to a gradual stop and then starting up again. Just my 2 cents from the east coast. No solution yet - I'm waiting for a new software reflash.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
learning curve

if it truly has to do with that ... get a sprintbooster. It will make your car learn a more aggressive pattern due to the increase in sensed accelerator pedal travel.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by SLK55R
if it truly has to do with that ... get a sprintbooster. It will make your car learn a more aggressive pattern due to the increase in sensed accelerator pedal travel.

I guess my car also does what you guys are describing , and boy do I get mad. It is not continual however and hard to reproduce. I dont think SB is the solution the bog , hesitation will still be there. This is electronics, ECU 4 sure and it can bve stopped by putting the car in DYNO mode for 30 miles or more , another way is to use d/s but then hit the shifter to the left just prior to take off. when I know I really gotta go I always use the 1st gear take off in d/s . I only experience hesitation when depressing the pedal in an agro fashion in d/s. Its as if there is a gap in contact with the wire.. SB could help but it likely will change the point at where the hesitation occurs.

Good luck , let me know of any service updates. Keep pushing the car or the hesitation will creep back IMHO
Old 11-26-2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zax63
Before I had my tranny and ecu reflashed, the car would not boil the tires with esp off, but shifted at 6600-6800 in first. Then I had the reflash, car boils tires off idle, but shifts at 6200. Occasionally, I feel some off idle hesitation after slowing to a gradual stop and then starting up again. Just my 2 cents from the east coast. No solution yet - I'm waiting for a new software reflash.
YEP...........you have a mirror of my car...exactly. If your SA has a fix for it via flashes...let me (us) know......!!!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:23 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by juicee63
Its as if there is a gap in contact with the wire.. SB could help but it likely will change the point at where the hesitation occurs.
I think you nailed it with your desciption Juice. I have felt the same thing. I try to give some more pedal but the car will jump pretty hard when you find her sweet spot.

I guess we need to find out if there is a new update available.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sb

no what I mean is that if the hestitation is due to the ECU thinking your driving like a grandma ... the SB will make the ECU think that your driving aggressively even doing the normal home to work daily grind.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:25 AM

Has anyone put a SB on their E63....and what were the results...!!!

Somehow, I can see where a SB can make more of an improvement on a FI vehicle, more so than a NA vehicle....just my take on it!!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sb

you know they are so freaking cheap I don't see why some of you just don't buy and test.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Has anyone put a SB on their E63....and what were the results...!!!

Somehow, I can see where a SB can make more of an improvement on a FI vehicle, more so than a NA vehicle....just my take on it!!
Here is where the prob is..

The electronically controlled fuel supply system with newly developed components operates at a pressure of 3.8 to 5.0 bar depending on requirements. The fuel pressure adapts immediately to the desired performance level and external temperature. Following a command from the accelerator pedal, it takes just milliseconds for the vehicle electronics to adjust the pressure accordingly. This control system guarantees a spontaneous response and sporty propulsion at any engine speed and load range.

SB is coming again, I have already used it and it took away feel but definately made the car jumpy..Kinda uncomfortable and for someone who hammers throttle its UNECESSARY. For you light steppers it really makes the car feel faster
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 AM

Here is where the prob is..

The electronically controlled fuel supply system with newly developed components operates at a pressure of 3.8 to 5.0 bar depending on requirements. The fuel pressure adapts immediately to the desired performance level and external temperature. Following a command from the accelerator pedal, it takes just milliseconds for the vehicle electronics to adjust the pressure accordingly. This control system guarantees a spontaneous response and sporty propulsion at any engine speed and load range.

SB is coming again, I have already used it and it took away feel but definately made the car jumpy..Kinda uncomfortable and for someone who hammers throttle its UNECESSARY. For you light steppers it really makes the car feel faster
Juicee63, you seem to be on top of most of the improvements on the"63" engine, the way I understand what you are saying about the SB is that it kind of takes away the slack in the throttle....so when you press down, it reacts at once...hence "it makes the car feel faster"..... but in reality, it does nothing more than that, correct?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Juicee63, you seem to be on top of most of the improvements on the"63" engine, the way I understand what you are saying about the SB is that it kind of takes away the slack in the throttle....so when you press down, it reacts at once...hence "it makes the car feel faster"..... but in reality, it does nothing more than that, correct?

Exactly Buck...

It definately would help to mask your lag, hesitation issue. I have a SB coming and would be happy to send it to you to try out. I owned it prior and it threw me off on the track but I will try it again.

1. Half a depress is WOT with the SB
2. Car tends to jump a bit
3. feels very fast but in the 1/4 mile times were not improved. It adds nothing more than an electronic signal that fools the ECU to going WOT, it may really help cars with hesitation.(thanks to Rafal) we can now try again
Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 PM

Exactly Buck...

It definately would help to mask your lag, hesitation issue. I have a SB coming and would be happy to send it to you to try out. I owned it prior and it threw me off on the track but I will try it again.

1. Half a depress is WOT with the SB
2. Car tends to jump a bit
3. feels very fast but in the 1/4 mile times were not improved. It adds nothing more than an electronic signal that fools the ECU to going WOT, it may really help cars with hesitation.(thanks to Rafal) we can now try again
Thanks for the offer Juice.......BUT my wife is the main driver of the vehicle during the week...I have a company car....woooo...anyway, she would freak out.......she has a 4 mile round trip to and from school where she teaches....and "thinks that this car is plenty fast enough already".......need I say more.........!!!!! (women)
Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968

Buck -
I've seen you mention a couple of times that your wife is the primary driver of the vehicle, and it always makes me wonder what the hell the other teachers are thinking when they see her roll up to the "staff" lot in that beast! Not to mention the hundreds of pimply teens who are salivating over the ride... they must think she is one cool teacher.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Zax63

Buck -
I've seen you mention a couple of times that your wife is the primary driver of the vehicle, and it always makes me wonder what the hell the other teachers are thinking when they see her roll up to the "staff" lot in that beast! Not to mention the hundreds of pimply teens who are salivating over the ride... they must think she is one cool teacher.
Hey Zax....you don't know the half of it....she ALWAYS wears high heals..3" spikes...has spikey hair (natural strawberry blond) and wears really cool clothes...damn...never had these kind of teachers when I was in school...I always had penguins in grade school, and the frumpy teachers in high school....she has always been like that......live in a small town in west Tennessee (Ohio boy here), so to me it was a culture shock....anyway where pickup trucks are the norm,,,,a white-pano E63 really gets attention, however after several months, people are used to it...teachers and teens....also corporal punishment is still legal here and for being only 5'2 she has been know to swing a mean paddle..!!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 PM

FYI..I had my tranny/ecu software updated twice and still have some hesitation as I described above...just think it is characteristic of our cars..not normal but just a characteristic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 Hesitation