Who ran 2 M5's in Dallas? video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
... I love Dallas TX. It's beautiful. ...
I love Dallas too, despite being a 15 year yankee transplant ... but beautiful?
That's not a word that I normally associate with Dallas. Nor do many other people that I've met.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by darren_dallas
I hope you can make it now that I have it set for Sept 9th. I'll post an official sign-up sheet on Wednesday after I meet with the airport Director and actually drive the runway to determine usable length. I hope we can get 4,500+ feet so we can at least do a 3/4 mile run and have a safe stopping distance afterward.

Cheers,

Darren
Thanks Darren, I will be all over it. I probably need to get the ECU tune now to enhance the pulley.

Missed you at the 6speed thing in Frisco. I was talking to a couple of M5 guys about taking the M5 seat and putting it in my CL. For my money, it's one of the best seats available (besides being attached to the car).
Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 M5
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Thanks Darren, I will be all over it. I probably need to get the ECU tune now to enhance the pulley.

Missed you at the 6speed thing in Frisco. I was talking to a couple of M5 guys about taking the M5 seat and putting it in my CL. For my money, it's one of the best seats available (besides being attached to the car).
Stop the press...were you at the Frisco Luigi's event? I was there with my car! How did I miss you? I did see a CL parked off to the side of the bank...was that you?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
In the end, I have no idea why we got a different result. I really now think Ray needs to get his car to the shop and get the IC pump replaced.

I will tell you though, running on the highway with my E55 K4 did not have good race results at high-speeds. Got waxed a few times and it had to be due to heat inefficiencies of the Kompressor motor with extra boost.

Regards,

Darren
That and probably a slipping S/C belt.
AMG_Rider has a K3 and has had very good results. Ask EvilEmpire!! You saw the 2nd vid. And his(EE) modded S4 has had excellent results racing M5's. I wish I could find the video where he put a few car length's on the M5. Perhaps Evil Empirre could chime in!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Stop the press...were you at the Frisco Luigi's event? I was there with my car! How did I miss you? I did see a CL parked off to the side of the bank...was that you?
Yup.
I talked with the other 2 M5 guys, so your car must have been the third one parked at the bottom of the main row?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by enzom
.........Just some observations....

^^^^A very well thought-out post, IMO.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
I love Dallas too, despite being a 15 year yankee transplant ... but beautiful?
That's not a word that I normally associate with Dallas. Nor do many other people that I've met.
Compared to NYC it's beautiful I found. Especially the area's I've visited and where my cousin and a buddy of mines lives. The houses are beautiful and priced nice as well.
compared to dusty old busy old NYC.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Originally Posted by AMG Rider
i will say it one more time...stock M5 vs stock E55, M5 would pass after 90-100mph (2 car length)...stock M5/modded M5 vs Modded E55...E55 would win

My freind I couldnt agree with you MORE...That what I trying to say...Again I havent been beaten by MOD m5 YET !!!

Btw Us Carlsson UL wheels are one of the lightest on the market and IC mod is in works
Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
My freind I couldnt agree with you MORE...That what I trying to say...Again I havent been beaten by MOD m5 YET !!!

Btw Us Carlsson UL wheels are one of the lightest on the market and IC mod is in works
Were you beat by a modded M6 over 170mph?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:25 PM

grocery getter
Enzom,

I like your approach comparing 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times...that should tell us something about acceleration and gearing differences. I haven't reviewed them to give an opinion.

I think launching the E55 is easier (which is a good thing) and affects 1/4 mile times in favor of the AMG. Also, I think there is simply much more data at the drag strip for the E55's to learn from. I don't think enough M5 owners (current generation, E60 model) go to the drag strip, I wish they would.

Driving the M5 is a humbling experience because if don't really learn how to drive the car you'll absolutely get your butt handed to you every time you meet an x55 Kompressor car. I wonder how many of the M5 owners that have been raced out in the wild actually know how to drive their cars?? Don't get me wrong, there are many that do, but let me tell you first hand...there are many who don't. Some people aren't even rev'ing their engine above 7k rpm...it's just so unnatural to many of us when we first get the car so we end up shifting at 6k-6.5k because the car sounds like it's about to explode.

In the end, I have no idea why we got a different result. I really now think Ray needs to get his car to the shop and get the IC pump replaced.

I will tell you though, running on the highway with my E55 K4 did not have good race results at high-speeds. Got waxed a few times and it had to be due to heat inefficiencies of the Kompressor motor with extra boost.

Regards,

Darren

Darren,

Very True. It has taken me over a year to fully understand how to drive the M5 to achieve optimum performance. If you do not know how to drive the M, you will get walked all day long. For example, my wife drives an S550 on a daily basis but takes my car every so often to work (about an hour drive) and she is convinced the S550 is faster than the M5. Why? because in the Benz you just drop the hammer and you are gone but in the M5 (if you are in manual mode), you have to carefully select your gears for maximum performance. If you miss the proper gear, it is game over as the low torque shows it's ugly head.

Soooooo, stock vs stock it is a drivers race at any speed....period. I don't buy into the theory of all E55's will kill the M from a dig nor do I believe that all M5's will walk the E55 at higher speeds. These cars are so evenly matched that throwing out such broad assumptions is just plain irresponsible.

If you are either in an M or the E and want to race your arch nemesis (no, not lambos) you better bring your "A" game or you will be in big, big trouble.

Long live four door rocket ships....
Old 08-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by BTPower

Soooooo, stock vs stock it is a drivers race at any speed....period.

Long live four door rocket ships....
My experience at the track has proven to be different.

While my E55 cuts 1.8 60' on street tires nearly every pass, the 2 M5's I've seen at the track (neither would line up with me ) couldn't muster lower than a 2.0. Ever. One was an admitted novice, but the other was a seasoned road racer.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 PM

grocery getter
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
My experience at the track has proven to be different.

While my E55 cuts 1.8 60' on street tires nearly every pass, the 2 M5's I've seen at the track (neither would line up with me ) couldn't muster lower than a 2.0. Ever. One was an admitted novice, but the other was a seasoned road racer.

My best is a 1.83
Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
My best is a 1.83
Ouch...
Old 08-21-2007, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
I have the airstrip on hold for September 9th. I'm scheduled to meet with the airport management on Wednesday morning to walk and drive the runway to see how much of it is usable.

I'd like to be able to run the cars for 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile and use the excess for slowdown and turn around distance. The Director is telling me I should be able to use 4,000-4,500 feet of the 7,000 runway safely. I'm hoping it's more like 5,000 feet of good runway so we can run all the way to 4,000 feet and use 1,000 feet for stopping.

I'll post back on the forum and create a new thread on Wednesday after I get back from viewing the airport. Then I can start taking names on who can join from mbworld.org.

Stay tuned...

Cheers,

Darren
Sign me up! I have to see this with my own eyes.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 PM

grocery getter
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Ouch...
Yeah, not good. I think there is some room for improvement but I don't think I can get into the 1.7xx

Last edited by BTPower; 08-21-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:01 PM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
Only if you promise to bring that Renntech beauty!
Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
This sounds like an awesome event. You M guys really got it together! Gustav or no Gustav, major respect.

Theres an abandoned runway/airport in Queens NY, I've been there for a car meet before. I think its long enough to do high speed runs. If we can get permission maybe we could have an East Coast event like that? (wishful thinking I guess...)

Anyway, the videos of this event will lay a lot to rest. Very exciting.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
My best is a 1.83

Excellent job, but exactly my point. That is a very average launch for a street-tired E55, not a PB.

I would love to line up with an experienced driver.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 PM

Bentley Flying Spur, CL550
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
+1. An airstrip....just lovely
Old 08-21-2007, 03:32 PM

grocery getter
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Excellent job, but exactly my point. That is a very average launch for a street-tired E55, not a PB.

I would love to line up with an experienced driver.
Is anybody going to rent out a dragstrip this year? Didn't you guys have a track day last year near Chi-town? If you guys do, let me know and I will schedule a loooong meeting that day.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Russ,

Did you see the video where the M5 pulled instantly on the E55? They started from relatively low speeds and he pulled 5+ cars before 120 mph. When you pull that hard at such a low speed, there has to be a HUGE discrepency in power. The M5 would have had a tougher race against an E550 than the E55 in the rolling video.

The E55's performance is an open and shut case of failing intercooler pump. It's often hard to tell unless you take it to the dyno or your car shuts down and goes into limp home mode. A healthy E55 would fare much better in the videos.
NO I havent...but raced M5 many times and MOD M5 will start catching UP later...I was able to do this gap even with Hamman M6 but the it would catch up with ME at 140...but M5 is slower...but last time I raced one...I killed one from the start, it was far behind but it started catching up rapidly after 140-150...we went till 170 then I let go due to traffic and I was sure than it would pass me closer to 180-190...

ALL my races with just BIG pullies and HEADERs and my car makes around 620 HP at the crank but I think I had lots of belt slipping at that time and heatsoak...
Old 08-21-2007, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Only if you promise to bring that Renntech beauty!
With all those nice rides... I wouldn't show up in anything less
Old 08-21-2007, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
OK I'm trying my best to read what you typed but I have to read it twice
. While I'm not denying your personnal findings ,please don't deny mines.

1. The race between Avery in the modded M5 vs Sleeperx's E55 was over 160mph. Or were you there?

2.Jidex was there following them so you can ask him and SleeperX.

3. One of the fastest 1/4mile stck E55's we have here is owned by Enzom(11.7@118mph) Oops my bad(edit) 11.8@ 118mph.

4. Have you witnessed any runs in the US personally since you r saying that the results will be consistant world wide?

5. AMG_Rider has personally raced modded M5's in an undisclosed area and the results from rolling starts to speeds over 160mph were all the same with him pulling away!

6. Unless you've been here to witness ,please don't tell us what we see unless you have some kind of Super Telescope or witnesses YOU know!

7. Perhaps SleeperX and AMG_Rider can chime in.

8. As soon as some one show's up in an M6 that's modded more than Jidex's M6 we will find out.

9. If you read Darren's thread carefully he states over and over and over again that the E55 had problems which prevented it from running to it's full potential.

Waiting for a response!

My freind I dont want to argue with you and try to prove something to you...I am jsut telling everybody what my experiences where with my BEAST/ other 55s and M cars...

1. As far as I know the race was from 20-30 to 160...not higher that that !!!
I wish I was there

2. I've spoked to SleeperX before about this race..He had Renntech stage 5 at that time and IC mod is included, as well as biggesr airboxes...This is very important in long WOT PULL !!!

3. This proves nothing to ME!!!... Stock M5 runned here 12.6-12.7 on our ****ty tracks and I havent stock E55 run better the 12.9...and again we dont race our car a lot at the track, and our track in like regular road...On regular road its very difficult to lauch E55 using all the Torgues...

Infact M5 is more easy to launch then E55, cause of the diff and highreving engine, no crazy torgues...and Do you know that stock 55 vs stock M5...M5 acually makes more power at the wheels at higher speeds !!!

4. I havent witnessed anything amd I dont need too, cuase I have 1st hand expeince withj my M5/M6 and other people are saying (Darren, AMG rider) that this how it is stock M5 is faster the stock E55 on the street !!!

5. I am happy for HIM...

Everything depends on the mods E55 and M5 have...

6. "NO Comments" read above...

7. AMGrider did already and confirmed my findings...and I mentioned about SleeperX above...

8. OK...I told you my results...hopefully I will race one soon as well...

Jidex M6 is not MODed

9. I doesnt matter...I know the end result on a street !!!

Hope We understand each other...I'm not trying to defend M5 or prove anything...This just my honest opinion...and I have respect for both cars and their owners...
Old 08-21-2007, 04:19 PM

2004 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Audi A6 4.2, 2008 WRX STI
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS

I heard Carlsson rims are pretty heavy compared to HREs, Kinesis, etc.. i could be wrong though, but thats what i heard... btw, u definately need IC mod especially after those mods that u got!! its great that u r in process!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by AMG Rider
I heard Carlsson rims are pretty heavy compared to HREs, Kinesis, etc.. i could be wrong though, but thats what i heard... btw, u definately need IC mod especially after those mods that u got!! its great that u r in process!!!
Carlsoon ULTRA LIGHT wheels dont weight more then HRE Comps...but they cost much more...

Yeah I'm in process...TB, spacers, wrap kit, PTE stat should help ME...Cant wait to run against competition and in 1/4...Btw M5 mod 580 HP is my test Mule

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 08-22-2007 at 07:59 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who ran 2 M5's in Dallas? video