W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey San Fran/San Jose or NoCal residents...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Hey San Fran/San Jose or NoCal residents...

I'm headed to SF late October with my wife. I've been there in the Spring, but never in the Fall. What kind of weather can I expect during the day (morning vs. afternoon vs. evening)? I'm playing golf in the morning (Harding Park GC) so I need to figure out what clothing to bring...

I'm might also be playing golf near San Jose and I've been told the weather temps can be totally different there...

Also, I'm thinking of staying at the Clift Hotel in downtown SF...any first hand experience or other recommendations.

Jon
Old 08-21-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550, 2012 ML 350
I live about 30 minutes east of San Francisco, but from the my own personal experience it tends to be much cooler in the city. I would definitely pack a bit warmer if your playing golf early. The bay does not get much warmer then 70 degrees and you might even want to be prepared for some rain as well.

Also I have been to the Clift hotel, however never stayed in a room there, the bar past the lobby is a really nice spot to hang out and relax. I do not know the price for a room there but I have stayed in the St. Regis Hotel in SF and it was a beautiful.

I am sure more people actually from the SF area will be able to help you a bit more. Have a safe trip.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 BMW X5
Grew up in the city but now live in the East Bay so the weather is slightly warmer then SF thanks to our mountains. Oct. is one of the best months to visit as the weather is fairly mild and the tourist season is over. This year the weather has been somewhat strange, warm days and cool nights. Normally it stays a little warmer in the evenings during the summer months, but we've had some Northern winds from Alaska that has made for a mild summer. You can expect 60's in the city in Oct. maybe high 50's during the evenings. Make sure to bring a warm jacket and pants, if it gets foggy then you will definitely need it. San Jose is much warmer maybe 10-20 degrees just depends.

Regarding the Clift Hotel, old but still nice. What's great is it's a block away from Union Square. So you can have your wife shop her heart out. I still think the have the "Redwood Room" great place to have a drink and cigar. Just make sure you don't head south of the hotel, that area can get pretty scary especially at night.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Sweet guys...great info. Last time I played at Harding was in the Spring 2005and it was cold and rainy as heck. The rain was worse further south (Monterey) when we played Spanish Bay. We didn't know anything and we thought the spring would be the best time to avoid cold and rain...either we were totally wrong or we experienced the exception and not the norm as far as weather patterns.

Last edited by AMGfan; 08-21-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
Best time to visit is August - October. Born and raised it the City! Very few of us left. Cool mornings, often with with fog. Harding is cool in the early morning as well and the sun makes it debut by 10 or 11. The wind is unpredictable but isn't usually very strong. The course is in pretty good shape right now. A wind shirt and vest should keep you warm enough for the morning. As you go south toward SJ, the weather gets progressively warmer. Temps can vary as much as 30 degrees. The same is true if you venture into the East Bay. Hope you have a great time. We have a great City and hope you enjoy it. Email me if you have any questions as to where to visit etc.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dragoncoach
Best time to visit is August - October. Born and raised it the City! Very few of us left. Cool mornings, often with with fog. Harding is cool in the early morning as well and the sun makes it debut by 10 or 11. The wind is unpredictable but isn't usually very strong. The course is in pretty good shape right now. A wind shirt and vest should keep you warm enough for the morning. As you go south toward SJ, the weather gets progressively warmer. Temps can vary as much as 30 degrees. The same is true if you venture into the East Bay. Hope you have a great time. We have a great City and hope you enjoy it. Email me if you have any questions as to where to visit etc.
Thanks dragon...I think I'm going with the Clift hotel because of the proximity to the shopping (for the wifey) and the activities. Any boat/ferry tours around the bay?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:03 AM

You may want to consider a tour to Alcatraz to check out the old prison. If you do, you may want to buy tickets in advance (if they sell them that way). The tours are usually pretty full. As for a boat tour around the bay, there are fishing boats which offer tours when the fishing is bad or late in the day after their fishing excursions. Prices vary but there are signs right behind or on the boats explaning their rates. If you prefer a more plush tour, there are others offered near Pier 39 (another shopping mecca). A drive up the Marin headlands will give you some great views of the California coast as well as Stinson Beach. And if you continue north, you can even take in Muir Woods and check out the majestic redwoods. Your wifey should also enjoy the Clift. Great hotel and close to all the downtown shopping action ($$$$$!!!!). Hope you enjoy your trip and the golf.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 AM

Jon, I don't know how much golf you want to play, but there's a municipal course here which has some great views. It's Lincoln Park. Not in the best shape, but some holes have spectacular views. Especially 17 where you are looking back into the city with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. If you go down to Pier 39/ Fisherman's Wharf/ Cannery, walk down to Market and take the historic J line trolly cars. Or, you can always take the cablecar (Powell & Hyde line) and get off at the end of the line which is Girhardelli (sp) Square. From either of these modes, you can check out the entire wharf area.

Art
Old 08-22-2007, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dragoncoach
Jon, I don't know how much golf you want to play, but there's a municipal course here which has some great views. It's Lincoln Park. Not in the best shape, but some holes have spectacular views. Especially 17 where you are looking back into the city with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. If you go down to Pier 39/ Fisherman's Wharf/ Cannery, walk down to Market and take the historic J line trolly cars. Or, you can always take the cablecar (Powell & Hyde line) and get off at the end of the line which is Girhardelli (sp) Square. From either of these modes, you can check out the entire wharf area.

Art
Art...thanks for the heads up on Lincoln Park and the other sights to visit. I'll probably get to play 3-4 times (once @ Harding and once in San Jose where my buddy lives). I might try Lincoln or Presidio if I can pull it off...wifey and "quality time" may get in the way.

NOTE: "Quality time" = Holding shopping bags and drinking coffee while she shops.