Sponsored by:

Dealer Response to I/C Pump Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Dealer Response to I/C Pump Issue

So I called MB dealer trying to talk him into replacing I/C pump under warranty without having experienced total failure. (There are times car feels sluggish and I'm guessing its the I/C pump.) He said if MB technicians say no to replacement then I'm stuck'

He called back and said MB technician said it probably wasn't the I/C pump but instaed the problem was in the cooling system and that he had something that could detect if something is wrong. Technician will be at dealer next Thursday to check out my car.

Does anyone know what MB is looking for and what the fix is?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:23 PM

'11/E63-Former car: '05 RT4 E55, Sprintbooster, Phenolic Spacers, RT IC /Secondary HE & BMC Filters
Originally Posted by Coalman
So I called MB dealer trying to talk him into replacing I/C pump under warranty without having experienced total failure. (There are times car feels sluggish and I'm guessing its the I/C pump.) He said if MB technicians say no to replacement then I'm stuck'

He called back and said MB technician said it probably wasn't the I/C pump but instaed the problem was in the cooling system and that he had something that could detect if something is wrong. Technician will be at dealer next Thursday to check out my car.

code to denote failure. however, intermittent failure (as pump grounds to total failure) will produce no code to identify. stand firm and tell them to replace it under warranty. the new bosch upgrade pump is definitely better v stock.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
If you get a chance to talk to the tech, usually they are pretty cool. You can tell him about the forum and how the I/C pump's are failing nationwide.

Not sure how you could introduce the issue without sounding tacky, but a 20 or 50$ bill usually helps them to see the light as well.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
but a 20 or 50$ bill usually helps them to see the light as well.
Even in Oz thats inducement to commit fraud!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
My dealer wouldn't replace the pump until I showed him data logs of the Intake Air Temperature running above specs.

There is a Mercedes technical service bulletin for the problem. Here's the gist of it:

Date: April 19, 2006
Order No.: P-B-09.41/22a
SUBJECT:
Model 170.466
Model 203.065
Model 211.076/276
Model 215.374/376/379
Model 219.376
Model 220.174/176
Model 230.474/476/479
If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of the check engine light being on and/or the engine has poor output, this may be due to the circulation pump for low temperature circuit (charge air cooler) being nonfunctional. Possible fault codes are listed shown.

The following are possible causes for the malfunction of the circulation pump:
Carbon brush is worn due to the effects of vibration and/or its switching cycles.
Water ingress in the pump housing.
Deposits of ingredients from the coolant in the pump chamber. Magnetic clutch broken.
Maybe some of that info will be helpful to you. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Dealer Response to I/C Pump Issue-codes.jpg  
Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R

lol, it sounds like mb is looking to bull**** you.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

Your going to have a hard time proving the pumps bad to them,unless you show them proof.Why not just replace it with a johnson pump and be done?

Did I read that correct?The tech isnt always at the dealer?Only certain days maybe?Where are you located?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Go to a different dealer.

MB of Greenwhich didn't even know what the pump was and said that the SL55 was running fine.

I took it to MB of Larchmont and told them my pump needed to be replaced because the supercharger kept shutting off. The S/A said its a very common problem and didn't make a big deal about putting a new one in.