W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VRUS TB or Renn Headers with 178 pulley???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
VRUS TB or Renn Headers with 178 pulley???

I've decided to get the Evotech 178 pulley. But I wanted to know if I should get the TB or the Renn headers. Which do you guys think combine better with the pulley? TIA

I want to give Adam @ EuroElites a prop for the great stuff he's doing!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by aganzon
I've decided to get the Evotech 178 pulley. But I wanted to know if I should get the TB or the Renn headers. Which do you guys think combine better with the pulley? TIA

first off i love the sig.
i wouldnt get the renn headers i would get the evo headers they are alot cheaper and will give the same hp. TB is my favorit mod but id get that after the headers. good luck and good choice with adam.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Might want to invest in a cooling mod instead.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:06 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
first off i love the sig.
i wouldnt get the renn headers i would get the evo headers they are alot cheaper and will give the same hp. TB is my favorit mod but id get that after the headers. good luck and good choice with adam.
Rocket: (OT) Thanks for the sig compliment. As an owner of a very loving pitbull, Vick makes me puke at the thought of the cruelty he and his gang has committed. If treated well, pitbulls are super loyal and are loving pets. I'm glad he's going to lose triple digit millions.

Thanks for the evo headers advice. I will seriously consider it and ask Adam. They are both direct replacements of the stock exhaust manifold and neither cause CELs. According to a trustworthy source here, the evo gains 20-25 rwhp/tq vice 15-20 rwhp/tq on the Renn.

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:10 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
Might want to invest in a cooling mod instead.
yeah. 2nd phase. I don't do any long track runs right now.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:22 AM

W211 E55 AMG
VRUS and Jangy?

VRUS and Jangy: I know you're out there. Would love to hear your opinion as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
yes post up you pit! i have a lil girl 51lbs she was the runt and i got here from my bro who breeds them and couldnt sell her. you cant tell in the picture but she has big quads.
Attached Thumbnails VRUS TB or Renn Headers with 178 pulley???-camerapix-002.jpg  
Old 09-17-2007, 01:38 AM

W211 E55 AMG
here you go: Bowser

Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
yes post up you pit! i have a lil girl 51lbs she was the runt and i got here from my bro who breeds them and couldnt sell her. you cant tell in the picture but she has big quads.
Here you go. His name is bowser. He enjoys M&Ms.
Attached Thumbnails VRUS TB or Renn Headers with 178 pulley???-bowser.jpg   VRUS TB or Renn Headers with 178 pulley???-bowser2.jpg  

Last edited by aganzon; 09-17-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Here you go. His name is bowser. He enjoys M&Ms.
nice bro, the wife wants him!
Old 09-17-2007, 02:06 AM

SL55
Lightbulb Headers

I would get the headers... Reason being the pulley, and the throttle body are both doing the same thing... Getting more fuel into the motor, the pulley by increasing boost, and the the TB by increasing capacity.

When you put more air in, you need to help get it out, hense the headers...

The other poster is correct too... You will need the IC mod when you increase boost with the pulley, you will be increasing the air pressure, when you compress air it gets Hot... It will heat the IAT's like Hell with that big pulley... You might not make a 1/4mi without the supercharger shutting down.

With just my software mod... I can definately feel that after I jump on the car a few times... It's never as fast as the first time...

So I'm planning to do the RT 168mm Gel pulley, but not before installing the Johnson CM30 pump... And a better, or extra heat exchanger next.

Best,

RoydRage
Old 09-17-2007, 03:20 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by RoydRage
I would get the headers... Reason being the pulley, and the throttle body are both doing the same thing... Getting more fuel into the motor, the pulley by increasing boost, and the the TB by increasing capacity.

The other poster is correct too... You will need the IC mod when you increase boost with the pulley, you will be increasing the air pressure, when you compress air it gets Hot... It will heat the IAT's like Hell with that big pulley... You might not make a 1/4mi without the supercharger shutting down.

With just my software mod... I can definately feel that after I jump on the car a few times... It's never as fast as the first time...

So I'm planning to do the RT 168mm Gel pulley, but not before installing the Johnson CM30 pump... And a better, or extra heat exchanger next.

Best,

RoydRage
Main issue with 55k motors is the heat from reading this forum. You are getting an evotech pulley a big one, which means allot more heat. Stock cars have been complaining about pump failing etc. So cooling and pulley seem like a good combo. but headers to let it out hmm
Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Header 1st...I would reccomend Kleemanns one, without Primary cats...You get extra 10HP at the wheels with them...
Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Somebody call for me? Hehe!!

Well, you know it is tough for me to pick a RennTech mod over another, but I'll keep it objective for you. My take on getting juice from these rides is to get more air in and to cool off the front end. I think the exhaust side is fairly decent, and in all honesty all the shorty headers are simply a slight difference. Don't get me wrong, since I will be getting a set of Charle's (for $1500) as soon as they are done. BUT, I do think that a 80TB swap is an absolute must to see any of the gains that you can get from other mods. I say hook up the '07 SL TB, since it runs for about $1500 in parts (retail) and about 5 hours for install. Ask Adam about it. i'm sure he can hook you up.

Pulley: I think you made a nice choice. I am still on the fence with this one. It is a critical component and I like the size. I don't like the fact that it is not a fluid dampened one, but the quality is there with EvoTech.

Are you planning any ECU mods at this point? What year car? If it is an '06, I wouldn't bother until you have done more work.

Headers: I don't like either EVO's or RennTech's. The EVO ones are a compromise in quality and the RennTech ones are just not much different than a manifold. I've also heard and seen some data that shows the gains with the RT unit to be minimal, at best. It wasn't the most controlled study for my taste, but it is what it is. I was planning to do a nice comparison, but I'm done caring if RennTech products are worthwhile. There are a few guys out there working on alternative headers for much better prices.

ECU: If you do get the TB, I think you will notice the difference. Run a dyno and see if the thing is finally not running rich. If thne A/F has actually raised, then you will want to get a tune. The pulley alone won't need it. Mine runs pig rich and I think most of these do. It is actually a safer setup to run rich, but it isn't the most efficient.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:20 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RoydRage
My thought about getting the TB was to "match" or provide a bigger path for the increased amount of air being sucked in by the bigger pulley. Do you think the stock TB will be efficient enough?

RoydRage wrote>

My thought as well...

RoydRage wrote>

Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I say headers. Can't argue with DJE55's numbers with simple K1 and header setup. Course his car was a freak of nature, but still.

Cooling will be big issue quickly though. Gotta get that Johnson in there minimum. It's just a few hundred bucks and not so tough install. I ran with just Johnson for quite awhile and it got me by.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:44 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
Somebody call for me? Hehe!!

Well, you know it is tough for me to pick a RennTech mod over another, but I'll keep it objective for you. My take on getting juice from these rides is to get more air in and to cool off the front end. I think the exhaust side is fairly decent, and in all honesty all the shorty headers are simply a slight difference. Don't get me wrong, since I will be getting a set of Charle's (for $1500) as soon as they are done. BUT, I do think that a 80TB swap is an absolute must to see any of the gains that you can get from other mods. I say hook up the '07 SL TB, since it runs for about $1500 in parts (retail) and about 5 hours for install. Ask Adam about it. i'm sure he can hook you up.

Pulley: I think you made a nice choice. I am still on the fence with this one. It is a critical component and I like the size. I don't like the fact that it is not a fluid dampened one, but the quality is there with EvoTech.

Are you planning any ECU mods at this point? What year car? If it is an '06, I wouldn't bother until you have done more work.

Headers: I don't like either EVO's or RennTech's. The EVO ones are a compromise in quality and the RennTech ones are just not much different than a manifold. I've also heard and seen some data that shows the gains with the RT unit to be minimal, at best. It wasn't the most controlled study for my taste, but it is what it is. I was planning to do a nice comparison, but I'm done caring if RennTech products are worthwhile. There are a few guys out there working on alternative headers for much better prices.

ECU: If you do get the TB, I think you will notice the difference. Run a dyno and see if the thing is finally not running rich. If thne A/F has actually raised, then you will want to get a tune. The pulley alone won't need it. Mine runs pig rich and I think most of these do. It is actually a safer setup to run rich, but it isn't the most efficient.
Thanks for the thorough feedback! I hear you about the lack of dampening. Like you said, it's a pretty good quality. The pulley kit includes the ECU mods. I have an 03. Gains from a 03 with ECU mod?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:46 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Header 1st...I would reccomend Kleemanns one, without Primary cats...You get extra 10HP at the wheels with them...
Thanks! Yeah! I like the Klee's as well. They are pretty nice. More HP/TQ. But I didn't want to cut.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Thanks for the thorough feedback! I hear you about the lack of dampening. Like you said, it's a pretty good quality. The pulley kit includes the ECU mods. I have an 03. Gains from a 03 with ECU mod?

Yup, you are good with an '03. The gains are minimal, since it is just a pulley, but you will love it once you add the TB.

Another reason to go with Evotech is to have Oliver do your ECU tune. He is about as close to a custom job as you can get.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Thanks! Yeah! I like the Klee's as well. They are pretty nice. More HP/TQ. But I didn't want to cut.
Don't get into cutting for an added 10hp. That is for if you go hardcore.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Yup, you are good with an '03. The gains are minimal, since it is just a pulley, but you will love it once you add the TB.

Another reason to go with Evotech is to have Oliver do your ECU tune. He is about as close to a custom job as you can get.
Another thing I like about the TB approach, same or similar HP/TQ gains of the headers but it keeps the sleeper exhaust note.

Oliver is the man, i hear! Have to make sure Oliver works on the tuning.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:53 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Don't get into cutting for an added 10hp. That is for if you go hardcore.
Agreed. Definitely not hardcore here.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Another thing I like about the TB approach, same or similar HP/TQ gains of the headers but it keeps the sleeper exhaust note.

Oliver is the man, i hear! Have to make sure Oliver works on the tuning.
tb will not give you the same peak hp gains as a good set of headers...but the performance gains are close. also headers alone won't change your exhaust note so don't worry about that. actually, you could run these cars with open headers and still have a sleeper.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:09 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
tb will not give you the same peak hp gains as a good set of headers...but the performance gains are close. also headers alone won't change your exhaust note so don't worry about that. actually, you could run these cars with open headers and still have a sleeper.
If I go with the TBs, I was also thinking of insulating/wrapping the plastic intake tubes to keep the heat down.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG

:
Old 09-17-2007, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
If I go with the TBs, I was also thinking of insulating/wrapping the plastic intake tubes to keep the heat down.
people have tried it but i doubt there's any measureable benefit. if anything needs to be insulated it's the airbox covers since they're cast aluminum. however, when you insulate anything you also have to consider other aspects. insulation works to keep heat out initially but once heat soaked it does just the opposite...it keeps heat in by preventing the parts to cool properly. so unless you can cool down after every run and don't do any prolonged driving it may help.

there's no magic pill or quick fix for reducing iat's. forget all the goofy little things and put the money towards a quality i/c pump and heat exchanger kit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VRUS TB or Renn Headers with 178 pulley???