Sponsored by:

SLR Pistons & Rods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:32 PM
DKM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 G63, 2021 RS6, 2021 Ducati Panigale SP, 2022 Ford F450
What would be cool would be adapting 4-matic to a E55 so you can launch it hard.

It couldn't be that hard to do...

dkm
Old 10-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Ahmad you may just be fine with how your blck is right now. AMG did a good job in building these blcks and the parts that they use are not cheap slugs. If you get proper custom dyno tuning(and I'm not talking some mail-in-flash) and don't exceed the limits of the pistons and rods(which is pretty high based on their quality build),like Marcus indicates and I try to say,you'll be good to go.
So you think I can turn up the boost??? I heard someone went to 9 PSI on a kleemann setup and cracked a piston ring.

Why do you guys want AWD so bad? Most high hp AWD cars convert to RWD and you guys wanna do the opposite?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Albert you are the man and I forgot to mention it was a pleasure meeting you and witnessing your Beast! Plus you r well informed and have an excellent example of a well tuned beast.

The fact that you can run 130mph in high 10 seconds in 90+ degree weather and 90+ humidty using NOS and low 11's at over 120mph just motor is a testament to how well tuned your car is and how great a job MB AMG has done with the STOCk internals of the 5.5L motor.

Like we have all said on Mon as well,nothing beats ,custom dyno tuning and it seems like the AMG's agree and love this as well.

A car can only be made more reliable if it's making major HP with custom dyno tuning regardless of the cost IMOP.
Thanks Carl the feeling is mutual. It was a pleasure meeting the whole tri-state crew. Next rental bring out the Mitsu/Talon.

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
So you think I can turn up the boost??? I heard someone went to 9 PSI on a kleemann setup and cracked a piston ring.
Ahmad that is an example of to much timing imho. Having your afr's in the low ten's does not mean the engine will not detonate if to much timing is used.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Perhaps bad tuning. If my LIL Mitsu slugs good put up with 20PSI(4cyl) I would be surprised if the AMG 5.5L V8 could not handle 9 measily PSI of boost. Also there are alot of turbocharged BMW's with Stck pistons and some with thicker headgaskets running 15 to 17 PSI of boost turbocharged which have been custom dyno tuned. It's called tuning and the stck pistons are strong, so if you could find someone to custom tune your car on a dyno, you should be good to go provided you have the proper supporting mods.

Think about it,why would stck Supra pistons necessarily be stronger or weaker than AMG(MAHLE)pistons.

Tuning!! is the key!!! The well tuned car will always lead the pack.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rflow306
Thanks Carl the feeling is mutual. It was a pleasure meeting the whole tri-state crew. Next rental bring out the Mitsu/Talon.
I will hopefully be able to do that in the near future my bro!

Originally Posted by rflow
Ahmad that is an example of to much timing imho. Having your afr's in the low ten's does not mean the engine will not detonate if to much timing is used.
AMEN!!!!!!! TUNING TUNING TUNING! It's key!!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Perhaps bad tuning. If my LIL Mitsu slugs good put up with 20PSI(4cyl) I would be surprised if the AMG 5.5L V8 could not handle 9 measily PSI of boost. Also there are alot of turbocharged BMW's with Stck pistons and some with thicker headgaskets running 15 to 17 PSI of boost turbocharged which have been custom dyno tuned. It's called tuning and the stck pistons are strong, so if you could find someone to custom tune your car on a dyno, you should be good to go provided you have the proper supporting mods.

Think about it,why would stck Supra pistons necessarily be stronger or weaker than AMG(MAHLE)pistons.

Tuning!! is the key!!! The well tuned car will always lead the pack.
I dont know anyone that will dyno tune a AMG. Point me in the right direction bro! I would much rather raise the boost than spray even though I already have the nitrous installed.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dont know anyone that will dyno tune a AMG. Point me in the right direction bro! I would much rather raise the boost than spray even though I already have the nitrous installed.
Here you go my man! I'm surprised Albert and Patrick did'nt tell you!

http://www.activeautowerke.com/?bannerID=86

These guys are the truth. I'll let Albert and Patrick confirm!

Karl is the owner and a good guy. Speak to Albert(rflow) first and he could perhaps tell you who to speak to.

The other thing is that you have to get rid of the crappy stck ram air intake setup you have. Those damn hoses are choking your poor supercharger. Have you seen the size of the inlets on the newer C55,CLK55,and 55 compressor cars? BIG difference. I already ordered my new setup from MB. PM me for more info!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 10-10-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy

Karl is the owner and a good guy. Speak to Albert(rflow) first and he could perhaps tell you who to speak to.
The "ultimate" BMW tuner? They are in Florida. They do good work with BMWs, now they tune benzes???
Old 10-10-2007, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The "ultimate" BMW tuner? They are in Florida. They do good work with BMWs, now they tune benzes???
If you don't believe me ask Albert(rflow)!!

PS I edited my thread above,read what I added about your intake.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
They do good work with BMWs, now they tune benzes???
This is news to me as well. A quick scan of their website revealed this line

Active Autowerke grew as the motoring public of South Florida developed an appetite for BMWs. In addition, it has met its customers needs by extending their facility for the servicing and repairs of Mercedes-Benz.

I didn't find anything specfic to tuning MB's but perhaps we have finally found a solution.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Just want to clarify one point here... My decision to build the bottom end was because as I saw into the future I felt there would be a big need for an economical solution for people with tired blocks, cracked pistons, broken ringlands, and general bottom end damage.

Speaking with MB Canada I found out a stock shortblock is $24,000CDN!!!! And it can only be purchased fully assembled... The only other alternative for someone is to buy used full longblocks on eBay for $15,000 - $18,000.

This is basically what set the wheels in motion to look at what could be done with the bottom end. Now, since I was going to have to build custom pistons and look at everything else in the bottom end, I figured I would bump the displacement as an added bonus.

My initial goal was to make a $9999 built shortblock + core exchange.. This would make it very easy for someone with high mileage or destroyed pistons to get back on the road quickly and in a cost effective manner. Depending on which components end up in my initial shortblock, that price may be as low as $7999.

If I was only looking at my own car and just wanted to do a TT kit or build up the motor to the limit, I would leave the bottom end alone and just concentrate on the top half until I broke something and was forced to replace some of the components.

I was not trying to say through my doing what I am doing that the stock bottom end is weak.. Far from it... Just want to be clear on my motivations and my reasoning for going down the road I did...
Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by rflow306
+1, that's why they make alot of the formula-one pistons.

I would also be willing to build a twin turbo with a 100% stock long block. The stock assembly will make over 750 rwhp before it becomes a problem.
Give me a good crank and the longest rod possible anyday of the week.

Anybody know the stock rod length?Was it mentioned here already and I missed it?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
Thinking of dropping in SLR pistons and Rods to reinforce internals... will they fit in our W211 engine, anybody knows how to obtain these and prices...wonder if they are cheap, lol! j/k
The crank doesnt show a part number in the system,and the rods and pistons are'nt even listed in the diagrams!

Is that expensive enough for ya!!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by suicidal4life
This is news to me as well. A quick scan of their website revealed this line

Active Autowerke grew as the motoring public of South Florida developed an appetite for BMWs. In addition, it has met its customers needs by extending their facility for the servicing and repairs of Mercedes-Benz.

I didn't find anything specfic to tuning MB's but perhaps we have finally found a solution.
Well it would not hurt to call them and confirm my posts!

They do custom dyno tune E55k's! You have actually seen and read about one of the fastest one's that they tuned ,owned by a member of this board.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Well it would not hurt to call them and confirm my posts!

They do custom dyno tune E55k's! You have actually seen and read about one of the fastest one's that they tuned ,owned by a member of this board.
This man speaketh the truth!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:26 AM

2004 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Audi A6 4.2, 2008 WRX STI

The other thing is that you have to get rid of the crappy stck ram air intake setup you have. Those damn hoses are choking your poor supercharger. Have you seen the size of the inlets on the newer C55,CLK55,and 55 compressor cars? BIG difference. I already ordered my new setup from MB. PM me for more info!

So Carl...do u think this is the solution for my problem as well??any place around here that i could get it done?

Last edited by AMG Rider; 10-11-2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:02 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
But wouldnt it be better 6.3 TT rather then 5.7 TT ???

I am with you on this...if TT kit will be affordable I will go this route as well...

Then may be need to get something like Skyline 4wd system which will make our car actually drivable, cause rightnow I can launch or do rolling start at 1gear...either ESP cut off all the power or I go sideways

Did you ever thought about it ???...our MKB dealer here made CL55 and CLS55 620HP + into 4 matic cars...You wont believe it but CLS 55 off the line smokes all Skykine and Evos...
4wheel drive emmmmm no more very bad traction issues on take off hmmmm.
More power bolt on mods, more traction issues....its bad in stock form as is!

mind you i am looking on getting the toyo tire, that alot of members are raving about

Got any info or links to this MKB setup?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG Rider
So Carl...do u think this is the solution for my problem as well??any place around here that i could get it done?
Right now they are the best solution on the east coast that I could think of to custom tune the 5.5L compressor cars.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Mikhail,

With the way you run your car (like a Madman) - the question is going to be how much do you have to spend?

For the typical street driver, 800hp is easily achieve on stock internals, but for the guy who's topping out his car on a weekly basis... that's why MB/AMG over-engineered the blocks to begin with

-m

Man...I only run my car sometimes on the weekends...and not every weekend, mostly its 1/4 runs...may be 2-3 run a night...I am not that bad...The big problem is traction !!!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K

Why do you guys want AWD so bad? Most high hp AWD cars convert to RWD and you guys wanna do the opposite?
My friend had this problem with more boost, that why after he invested 7k into the engine...He put 55K pistons...

4wd works much better on the street in real life...plus 4wd like Skyline has is amazing at higher speeds you have 2wd car, so dont loose any power to 4wd trans...
Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by Zod
4wheel drive emmmmm no more very bad traction issues on take off hmmmm.
More power bolt on mods, more traction issues....its bad in stock form as is!

mind you i am looking on getting the toyo tire, that alot of members are raving about

Got any info or links to this MKB setup?

They just put 4 matic system from 500 4 matic !!!

I am going to call them and ask on how much does it cost and what is needed to be done...
Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Then may be need to get something like Skyline 4wd system which will make our car actually drivable, cause rightnow I can launch or do rolling start at 1gear...either ESP cut off all the power or I go sideways
Retrofitting ATTESA into a Benz, I doubt that's successful but I could definitely see 4matic being introduced.

This project will be amazing. I've always been a fan of Victor's work, good luck
Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Right now they are the best solution on the east coast that I could think of to custom tune the 5.5L compressor cars.

I would also suggest Evotech. I was going to do the tunning with Active but became a pain to haul my car to miami, so I tried Evotech. All I could say the car is putting North of 520 RWHP and so much torque I cant put it to the ground. I have the dynos to prove them also.

Albert- Your car is a beast man!! I love the way you handle her, specially with the NOS, so diligent with it. lol! I would be spraying left and right...that is why I don't have it. Heheheheh

When we lined up I was actually waiting for you to make a pass, but then thought to myself what the heck!, why not line up with the man himself, lol! I mashed it from the line I went through all gears and stood in the same place, just couldn't hook. Hopefully they will do another one of these events and I will have the pleasure of lining up with you again man.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
I would also suggest Evotech. I was going to do the tunning with Active but became a pain to haul my car to miami, so I tried Evotech. All I could say the car is putting North of 520 RWHP and so much torque I cant put it to the ground. I have the dynos to prove them also.
They dyno tune? Where are they located?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
They did not do my tunning through dyno's but by specifications of the modifications I have done to the car. They are in california. You actually met them at MIR, Euro Elites (Adam & Tony) is their representative.

Last edited by V12Godspeed; 10-11-2007 at 02:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLR Pistons & Rods