New Custom Front Mount IC HE (2003 E55)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by phatmitzu
Not that I can notice. It did had a rough jerk when I let off the throttle though
so,
excluding prolongued test runs and drags, when will you begin perceiving a difference? for example, considering a fast drive along an uphill route (you, know, I live along the MilleMiglia route ..) , with high rews in 2nd and max 3rd gear
Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by dyno
so,
excluding prolongued test runs and drags, when will you begin perceiving a difference? for example, considering a fast drive along an uphill route (you, know, I live along the MilleMiglia route ..) , with high rews in 2nd and max 3rd gear
I am not sure what you are asking...
As far as feeling a difference...my butt dyno is not that sensitive. Both with the stock HE and Code3 HE felt fast thanks to the 55k engine and the ASP pulley. Which one felt stronger? I really can’t say. I was too concentrating on the road ahead and looking out for cops. Of course, the data logging runs weren't done by hours of road testing, but the numbers would give you an idea on how the Code3 HE performs compares to the stock one.

By the way, I don’t drive in manual mode. I just leave it in S and stomp on it. I would assume it dropped to 2nd gear at ~50-60mph? and it will quicky shift into the next gear.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Not that I can notice. It did had a rough jerk when I let off the throttle though
your supercharger should have been nite nite after ECU sees 199..........
Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not sure what you are asking...
As far as feeling a difference...my butt dyno is not that sensitive. Both with the stock HE and Code3 HE felt fast thanks to the 55k engine and the ASP pulley. Which one felt stronger? I really can’t say. I was too concentrating on the road ahead and looking out for cops. Of course, the data logging runs weren't done by hours of road testing, but the numbers would give you an idea on how the Code3 HE performs compares to the stock one.

By the way, I don’t drive in manual mode. I just leave it in S and stomp on it. I would assume it dropped to 2nd gear at ~50-60mph? and it will quicky shift into the next gear.
you intended it correctly, indeed.
It's clear that you didn't test it for enough time, yet ..
I mean: need not any data . I was asking only for your personal idea, sensation .. about when, in what practical situation, after how long a run, this better performing HE would let you feel it is concretely "helping" the 55K to perform at its best.

Last edited by dyno; 12-03-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
you intended it correctly, indeed.
It's clear that you didn't test it for enough time, yet ..
I mean: need not any data . I was asking only for your personal idea, sensation .. about when, in what practical situation, after how long a run, this better performing HE would let you feel it is concretely "helping" the 55K to perform at its best.
I don't drive the 55 that much. I'll try to provide more feedbacks after I drive it more and take it to the dyno next month. But as of right now, only data logged numbers and butt dyno. Perhaps there will be more noticeable difference during summer days... It gets pretty hot during the summer in California, upper 90s. Right now it is nice and cool in the 60s.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
all I can say....

before.. I would notice the power of the ASP only in the morning and a few hard runs.

after that.. I would need to be shifting often to get to the power band.

Now.. this thing in the morning feels like a enless torque beast (like a 600 biturbo)

and on the freeway.. power is always avaiable. Just 1 shift away from blast off.. or one deep mash of the pedal.

The 5sp auto still not as responsive.... at times. but power is always there.

If you plan to take on a few foes.. suggest you drive around town in 3rd and 4th on the freeway. This way you are always ready for battle..
Old 12-04-2007, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TopGun32
all I can say....

before.. I would notice the power of the ASP only in the morning and a few hard runs.

after that.. I would need to be shifting often to get to the power band.

Now.. this thing in the morning feels like a enless torque beast (like a 600 biturbo)

and on the freeway.. power is always avaiable. Just 1 shift away from blast off.. or one deep mash of the pedal.

The 5sp auto still not as responsive.... at times. but power is always there.

If you plan to take on a few foes.. suggest you drive around town in 3rd and 4th on the freeway. This way you are always ready for battle..

sorry, could you explain better ..

I 'll try to explain better my query in previous post, too.
What is not finally clear to me is the following commonly agreed consideration:

" the up-graded Heat Exchanger is considered a "second best" option with respect to the "Top Mounted I/C" mod."

A second best for what, if not PERFORMANCE ? .. I mean Performance in absolute terms . The reasoning that a more efficient HE will better allow continuing performance under hard conditions .. etc, is already clear and need not to be discussed further.

Last edited by dyno; 12-04-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
The ultimate objective is to reduce/maintain IATs, while increasing boost.

By reducing IAT's ECU won't pull timiing. ECU also looks pretty agressive in pulling timing even early on when IAT's are marginally above ambient as per Alberts post. Tuners obviously toy with this map and dial in more advance at each point in the matrix.

It seems the ECU does NOT pull timing based on knock sensor? (If so where is it?)

It pulls timing based off a map of IAT, boost, load, coolant temp etc and from this calc's how much it should pull timing. The main culprit is IAT's. This methodology is not ideal as its independant of the fuel octane being used, and if so, the stock tune will be very mild to allow for dodgy fuel.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stevebez

By reducing IAT's ECU won't pull timiing. ECU also looks pretty agressive in pulling timing even early on when IAT's are marginally above ambient as per Alberts post. Tuners obviously toy with this map and dial in more advance at each point in the matrix.

It seems the ECU does NOT pull timing based on knock sensor? (If so where is it?)

It pulls timing based off a map of IAT, boost, load, coolant temp etc and from this calc's how much it should pull timing. The main culprit is IAT's. This methodology is not ideal as its independant of the fuel octane being used, and if so, the stock tune will be very mild to allow for dodgy fuel.
Steve, ... shot saved of your arguments.

indeed I wrongly underrate the importance of IAT in determining timing pull (btw, it means "retard", yes?)
and take this occasion to clarify the following:

... then, if top mounted I/C 's goal is similar, where from comes higher boost in SLR? indeed not from ASP!

It seems the ECU does NOT pull timing based on knock sensor?- for sure. but Knocking .. isn't mainly dependant on fuel octane and compression ratio? ... indeed, in SLR they lowered compr from 9:1 (as is for AMGs 55) to 8.8:1.

This methodology is not ideal as its independant of the fuel octane being used

don't agree with this: .. higher fuel octane and its anti-detonating power, allows for an higher knocking point and therefore helps avoiding timing pull to take place or, in other words, allows for a more advanced timing map

Last edited by dyno; 12-04-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This methodology is not ideal as its independant of the fuel octane being used

don't agree with this: .. higher fuel octane and its anti-detonating power, allows for an higher knocking point and therefore helps avoiding timing pull to take place or, in other words, allows for a more advanced timing map
Ciao Dyno - I think you misunderstand what I am saying. Higher octane is good, but our cars have to be tuned to utilise the benefit. Other cars with knock sensors will automatically advance timing to the knock detection point and then retard timing slightly hovering just on optimum. Our cars just read a bunch of inputs, go to a table and say - retard x degress. That seems will apply if you got 100 octane or 80.

Believe me I hope someone would tell me this is BS - but without a knock sensor I dont know how the ECU would know it could advance timing when fuel is of a higher octane...
Old 12-05-2007, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brandon one last thing - what are dimensions of the CODE unit vs OEM unit?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ciao Dyno - I think you misunderstand what I am saying. Higher octane is good, but our cars have to be tuned to utilise the benefit. Other cars with knock sensors will automatically advance timing to the knock detection point and then retard timing slightly hovering just on optimum. Our cars just read a bunch of inputs, go to a table and say - retard x degress. That seems will apply if you got 100 octane or 80.

Believe me I hope someone would tell me this is BS - but without a knock sensor I dont know how the ECU would know it could advance timing when fuel is of a higher octane...

are you saying that our cars do not have the knock sensor?! ... I didn't look in detail, but I can tell you for sure that even using 98 octane Agip instead of basic 95, I do really perceive the difference !!

Therefore, sorry, do not agree with this:
but our cars have to be tuned to utilise the benefit

ps: .. it is this same kind of "perception" that I was trying to understand whether is going to happen or not by installing upgraded HE

Last edited by dyno; 12-05-2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hope you are right but the write-up from WIS that albert posted seemed to indicate no knock sensor present.... I really hope there is tho...
Old 12-05-2007, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hope you are right but the write-up from WIS that albert posted seemed to indicate no knock sensor present.... I really hope there is tho...

how much is in UK 98 ? .. here's close to 1.5 Eur/liter

Code3HE SIZE: read his new ad page: 30x5.5x2.25"

ciao
Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

£1.10 ish ... I only use Optimax here.

Yeah got those dimensions but what are the OEM dimenions? Just wonder where the extra fluid capacity is derived from.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cfr my post 146 for a visual perception
Old 12-05-2007, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looks almost identical to me - think the core holds all the extra fluid....
Old 12-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...It seems the ECU does NOT pull timing based on knock sensor? (If so where is it?) ...
The piezo sensors for knock detection are bolted to the block between the cylinder banks.

They can be seen in picture #4 here.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Ok, the results are in. Stock pump adequate? Yes, Johnson pump better? Yes!

Sunday we took Marks car out again. We had originally tested the Johnson pump, but the numbers were no better than stock. Although, we certainly expected to see some difference. We wrote it off to an anomaly, and decided I would come back to get some more test results. These results definitely show that the Johnson pump works very well in conjunction with our upgraded heat exchanger.

Ambient temp: 60°
Three total runs. First two were 3 minutes apart, last one was 6 minutes later (had to turn around on the freeway ). The first run was the only run that we were able to get to 120mph. I told Mark I had other plans that day, so jail would probably spoil it The other two runs were to 112mph. As you can see, the results are more impressive. The highest run was 132°, followed by 121° and 123°, with cruising temps dropping back down to 13° above ambient. We were extremely pleased with these results, as they certainly surpass our last numbers. Here is the graph of the runs.