1000 miles in a C6-Impressions from E55 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Post 1000 miles in a C6-Impressions from E55 owner

The wifey and I made a quick getaway a couple weeks ago to NorCal, and I wanted something fun to drive. I ended up renting a 2005 C6 Corvette, perfect (I thought) for the coastal drive up and down the 101.

First impressions were surprising. The C6 is a bit smaller and narrower than the C5, almost European in its dimensions. This is felt inside the cabin, with the occupants pushed out more to the sides of the vehicle.

Headroom is a joke. I’m 6’5” and my wife is 6’1”, and we spent a full 15 minutes trying every possible seat combo to maximize livable space. The compromise was to scoot the seat forward and lay the back down as far as it would go, as this was the only way to keep from smacking the back of your skull on the roof during upshifts.

The trunk space, however, was surprising. 22 cubic feet (up from 15 in the C5) was enough to swallow a large suitcase, a medium duffel, and three carry-ons. The hidey-holes in the rear were a nice packaging touch too.

The driving position was, to say the least, cramped. I don’t know what size feet the engineers who designed it had, but my fourteens were about eight sizes too large for the Lilliputian pedal well. Barefoot driving worked far better, although Chevrolet saw fit to omit a brake pedal cover – the machined holes and their sharp burrs sliced the foot open nicely.

The interior was everything to be expected, save the choice of materials. I cannot believe that there aren’t better materials out there for the price point. The squeaking Targa top was not the loudest of the undesirable interior symphony, but by far the most annoying.

Driving the thing was a mixed bag. The keyless start/stop button felt like it was going to break every time I pushed it, but the LS2 never failed to do its thing. The HUD was cool, but it displayed too low for me – undoubtedly a side-effect of the seating position. While the soundtrack of the v-8 was typical American, the crappy 4L65e and its amazing four forward speeds sapped the fun right out of the car. First gear would go for-bloody-ever, then BAM ! - second smacked you in the back like a drunk friend you haven’t seen in a year. Third was good for around 130, then right into the marshmallow called fourth gear. You could basically leave the car in second gear for most driving. The updated 6-speed auto has to be a massive improvement.

High-speed stability leaves a bit to be desired. 75 feels like 125 in the Benz. The constant steering corrections required inspire little confidence at triple-digit speeds, especially in “sport” suspension mode. “Touring” mode actually was the preferable of the two for 99 % of my time behind the wheel.

Turn-in was far better than I expected, given the highly compromised ride. The nose of the car would actually go where I pointed it, at least until the rear swung around. The stock runflats were probably the biggest letdown of the drive. Uncommunicative, non-linear, and all-around crappy, they need ditching. A quick staccato chatter is all the warning you would get before the front washed out or the back came around, suddenly, violently. Hustling this thing through the twisties required a sawing motion at the wheel and full attention if it was to stay on the road. Not the best drift car, IMO.

Was it fast? Well, there’s no possible way a stock 4-speed C6 is going to beat an E55. None. Barely adequate, the 4-speed kills any sporting pretensions this car may have had.

IMO, this car sums up the problems with the big three – crappy quality, materials and execution, sold at a premium. It is no wonder that we can’t compete on the world stage with such offerings. I’m almost ashamed of our “world beater.”

Would I buy it? Not a chance. I wouldn’t even rent it again. YMMV.

EDIT: Is the driver of the Tektite E55 I saw at Post Ranch Inn on this board? Nice, clean car.

Last edited by ChicagoX; 11-06-2007 at 02:34 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
You should have splurged for a 6 speed.totally different than the autos.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Not available from rental company. Believe me, I would have.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Nice write up. Very dissapointing as the Corvette is a car every young American boy grows up yearning to drive.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Hence the reason why we spend more, the tangibles and intangibles. Nice write-up Chicago.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
The wifey and I made a quick getaway a couple weeks ago to NorCal, and I wanted something fun to drive. I ended up renting a 2005 C6 Corvette, perfect (I thought) for the coastal drive up and down the 101.

First impressions were surprising. The C6 is a bit smaller and narrower than the C5, almost European in its dimensions. This is felt inside the cabin, with the occupants pushed out more to the sides of the vehicle.

Headroom is a joke. I’m 6’5” and my wife is 6’1”, and we spent a full 15 minutes trying every possible seat combo to maximize livable space. The compromise was to scoot the seat forward and lay the back down as far as it would go, as this was the only way to keep from smacking the back of your skull on the roof during upshifts.

The trunk space, however, was surprising. 22 cubic feet (up from 15 in the C5) was enough to swallow a large suitcase, a medium duffel, and three carry-ons. The hidey-holes in the rear were a nice packaging touch too.

The driving position was, to say the least, cramped. I don’t know what size feet the engineers who designed it had, but my fourteens were about eight sizes too large for the Lilliputian pedal well. Barefoot driving worked far better, although Chevrolet saw fit to omit a brake pedal cover – the machined holes and their sharp burrs sliced the foot open nicely.

The interior was everything to be expected, save the choice of materials. I cannot believe that there aren’t better materials out there for the price point. The squeaking Targa top was not the loudest of the undesirable interior symphony, but by far the most annoying.

Driving the thing was a mixed bag. The keyless start/stop button felt like it was going to break every time I pushed it, but the LS2 never failed to do its thing. The HUD was cool, but it displayed too low for me – undoubtedly a side-effect of the seating position. While the soundtrack of the v-8 was typical American, the crappy 4L65e and its amazing four forward speeds sapped the fun right out of the car. First gear would go for-bloody-ever, then BAM ! - second smacked you in the back like a drunk friend you haven’t seen in a year. Third was good for around 130, then right into the marshmallow called fourth gear. You could basically leave the car in second gear for most driving. The updated 6-speed auto has to be a massive improvement.

High-speed stability leaves a bit to be desired. 75 feels like 125 in the Benz. The constant steering corrections required inspire little confidence at triple-digit speeds, especially in “sport” suspension mode. “Touring” mode actually was the preferable of the two for 99 % of my time behind the wheel.

Turn-in was far better than I expected, given the highly compromised ride. The nose of the car would actually go where I pointed it, at least until the rear swung around. The stock runflats were probably the biggest letdown of the drive. Uncommunicative, non-linear, and all-around crappy, they need ditching. A quick staccato chatter is all the warning you would get before the front washed out or the back came around, suddenly, violently. Hustling this thing through the twisties required a sawing motion at the wheel and full attention if it was to stay on the road. Not the best drift car, IMO.

Was it fast? Well, there’s no possible way a stock 4-speed C6 is going to beat an E55. None. Barely adequate, the 4-speed kills any sporting pretensions this car may have had.

IMO, this car sums up the problems with the big three – crappy quality, materials and execution, sold at a premium. It is no wonder that we can’t compete on the world stage with such offerings. I’m almost ashamed of our “world beater.”

Would I buy it? Not a chance. I wouldn’t even rent it again. YMMV.

EDIT: Is the driver of the Tektite E55 I saw at Post Ranch Inn on this board? Nice, clean car.
Got news for ya the rental was NOT a Z51 equiped automatic A4 deffinitely had the 2.73 gear ratio, the Z51 A4 has 3.15's a world of difference easy 1/2 sec quicker in the 1/4 & 0-60 in 4.1, it's like driving your heavy E55k w/100 less Horsepower & Torque.

& nice to hear you finally experienced the huge limitations of shi*ty run-crap tires

If you drove the C6 w/6 speed manual even better they come STOCK w/3.42's

Rental places give you the bottom of the barrel gearing obviously to preserve the driveline & maintenance life of the vehicle etc..

My C6 came w/the optional 3.15's I upgraded to 3.90's feels and makes a HUGE perf increase, I test drove a C6 w/2.73's absolutely pathetic in comparo (on this we can deff finally agree on something) the 3.90's feel like it has 100+ more HP & TO & are actually = to a 6 speed w/4.10's but since it only has 4 gears 4.10's would make the A4 useless until 3rd & 4th gears, and performs likewise, guys w/almost exact same mods are in the 11's (a 2005 w/3.73 gears on an A4 & similar mods to mine have run a BEST of 11.51 @ 119+ also had 25-30 less RWHP than my C6, I have extra mods)

So your C6 summation really isn't very accurate to most C6 LS2's on the road since the majority don't opt for the wimpy 2.73 gearing or A4 autos, they stopped making the A4 automatic in 2005, the new C6 w/Auto A6 tranny is nearly equal to a 3.90 final gear ratio & it's flying in STOCK trim & runflats12.17-12.20 @ 116 is average when properly launched.

If you want time slip proof I have plenty don't hesitate to ask & yes I still haven't run my beast down the 1320 YET, planning a trip to Sacramento to get some #'s

Last edited by Thericker; 11-13-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
11.41 @ 124 & 11.42 @ 125.06 on STOCK runflats!!!

Lightly modded C6 2006 w/A6 tranny -----
------NO Z06------
Originally Posted by Evilways

got my best 60ft of all time on runflats as well:1.868

hopefully will have some vids for you soon!
His C6 is the newer A6 Auto w/decent bolt-on mods NO superchargers/or TT deff ZERO NOS

This post is just trying to illustrate to you, the capability of these LS2 C6 Vettes, now the 2008 in bone stock trim is getting 12.02-12.15 @ 119+ on runflats no less, you'd better realize you're not at the top of the food chain anymore.

Last edited by Thericker; 11-13-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
Originally Posted by Thericker
....My C6 came w/the optional 3.15's I upgraded to 3.90's feels and makes a HUGE perf increase, I test drove a C6 w/2.73's absolutely pathetic in comparo (on this we can deff finally agree on something)....
Wait, aren't you the guy who couldn't wait to run a stock W211, and when you did you lost, ya I saw the videos.... I'm just sayin....
Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 AM

'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Uh-oh....this is about to be the best thread this week! Watch this thread folks!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 AM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Being the first year of a new model some areas always need to be ironed out. Seems you rented a fairly basic equipped car. Auto vs 6sp manual is like comparing apples to oranges..I know from experience. As far as head room, cars are made for your average man 5'9" 175lbs...I would think you would also be a tight fit in a Gallardo, F430 and I know for sure a Viper. Heck at 6'3" I have just enough room in the 63. I think you would have had a totally different experience in an '07, esp. with the Z51 option. From what I hear the '08 upgrades are even better.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by J 2OOI
Wait, aren't you the guy who couldn't wait to run a stock W211, and when you did you lost, ya I saw the videos.... I'm just sayin....
Yes I did loose those races, but admittedly had totally bald Michelin pilot RUN-FLAT rear tires @ 50 deg cold nighttime weather, Vadim who was in the E55k agreed on this, I also kept within 1.5 lengths from 40-140+mph on (2) of the races, this was w/3.15 gearing the 3.90's have changed the car dramatically

I've always liked & respected the w211 E55kIt's a helluva car!

Last edited by Thericker; 11-13-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by 05VENOM
Being the first year of a new model some areas always need to be ironed out. Seems you rented a fairly basic equipped car. Auto vs 6sp manual is like comparing apples to oranges..I know from experience. As far as head room, cars are made for your average man 5'9" 175lbs...I would think you would also be a tight fit in a Gallardo, F430 and I know for sure a Viper. Heck at 6'3" I have just enough room in the 63. I think you would have had a totally different experience in an '07, esp. with the Z51 option. From what I hear the '08 upgrades are even better.
+1
Old 11-13-2007, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
This post is just trying to illustrate to you, the capability of these LS2 C6 Vettes, now the 2008 in bone stock trim is getting 12.02-12.15 @ 119+ on runflats no less, you'd better realize you're not at the top of the food chain anymore.
Where are you getting this from? Seriously, I haven't seen a bone stock LS3 come down below 12.40 yet. I'm not calling BS, but I am on Corvetteforum every so often and don't recall seeing anything better than a 12.4. Got a link?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by enzom
Where are you getting this from? Seriously, I haven't seen a bone stock LS3 come down below 12.40 yet. I'm not calling BS, but I am on Corvetteforum every so often and don't recall seeing anything better than a 12.4. Got a link?
I've gotta run but I'll get you a link tonite...
Old 11-13-2007, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Lightly modded C6 2006 w/A6 tranny -----
------NO Z06------

His C6 is the newer A6 Auto w/decent bolt-on mods NO superchargers/or TT deff ZERO NOS

That timeslip belongs to a heads and cam car. Nobody is saying that a heads and cam (and gears) car isn't going to be a quarter-mile screamer. But that car is a far cry from an Auto with "decent bolt-ons". "Heads & Cam" in Corvette-speak is a MAJOR transformation. In fact, owners choose between going with forced induction or doing heads & cam. I thought about doing heads & cam on my Z06, but decided that I didn't want the warranty problems or to get stuck with a heavily modded car if I needed to sell it.

Back to the topic - the OP rented what is probably the weakest performing C6 made. They are now quicker, aided no doubt by a better gearbox and rear. But I have seen nothing to indicate that they are 12.0 @ 119 mph cars. Maybe I've missed those runs. I am wide open to being corrected. Seriously. I am not attacking. I just know enough to be dangerous about the C6. If I am wrong, it would not be the first time in my life - nor the last.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Got news for ya the rental was NOT a Z51 equiped automatic A4 deffinitely had the 2.73 gear ratio, the Z51 A4 has 3.15's a world of difference easy 1/2 sec quicker in the 1/4 & 0-60 in 4.1, it's like driving your heavy E55k w/100 less Horsepower & Torque.
I never said it was a Z51. All I said is that it sucked.

Nice try with the sig, but it works much better the way I did it.

05venom: The car was fairly well equipped for the turd it was, with HUD and keyless start.

Enzom: I agree that the car needed the 6-speed : "The updated 6-speed auto has to be a massive improvement."
Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
05venom: The car was fairly well equipped for the turd it was, with HUD and keyless start.
Not really "The car was fairly well equipped"

They ALL COME standard equiped with KEYLESS START/auto lock-unlocking upon key FOB recognition, & XENON'S, the ONLY extras that rental BASE model came w/was HUD, & convertible

Base 2.73 gearing in the A4 C6 = a 13.00 1/4 @ 107-109 a real dog in comparo to optional 3.15 or better gearing.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 PM

2005 E55
where is that link to see a stock NON Z06 run a sub 12.4???
Old 11-13-2007, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by tommy25000
where is that link to see a stock NON Z06 run a sub 12.4???
Coming up shortly sir
Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by enzom
That timeslip belongs to a heads and cam car. Nobody is saying that a heads and cam (and gears) car isn't going to be a quarter-mile screamer. But that car is a far cry from an Auto with "decent bolt-ons". "Heads & Cam" in Corvette-speak is a MAJOR transformation. In fact, owners choose between going with forced induction or doing heads & cam. I thought about doing heads & cam on my Z06, but decided that I didn't want the warranty problems or to get stuck with a heavily modded car if I needed to sell it.

Back to the topic - the OP rented what is probably the weakest performing C6 made. They are now quicker, aided no doubt by a better gearbox and rear. But I have seen nothing to indicate that they are 12.0 @ 119 mph cars. Maybe I've missed those runs. I am wide open to being corrected. Seriously. I am not attacking. I just know enough to be dangerous about the C6. If I am wrong, it would not be the first time in my life - nor the last.
This is the C6 2007 w/A6 tranny
You are correct but the head cam is not aggressive, quite equal to stock LS3 heads here is quote from the timeslip in question.
The L92/L76 is a pair of GM's L92 heads(similar to the LS3 heads) and an intake(L76) other mods are cam,LG headers, SLP loudmouth 2 exhaust,vararam and tune. Everything else is stock.

He's running stock crapy runflats
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are little wars waging with the LS2 vs LS3 too funny

Now on to the stock 2008 LS3 times----Sac Raceway:
08 C6 A6 - ET: 12.22s Trap: 119.5mph - 2.0 60' - K&N 160 stat----My bad not 100% STOCK but very close + he's running on STOCk absolute shi*t run-crap tires

More posts by the same guy---
Originally Posted by SickLS3
Man you are dripping with hate and envy. That was my first run of the day, the car was heatsoaked.

YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO THE TRAPS WILL NOT BE AS CONSISTANT WITH TM AND A STOCK TUNE.

When I launched harder the TM kicked in. That is what happened when I ran a 13.0@115 on the next run. Then a 117, 118, 119 as it cooled off.

You need to deal with the fact I ran 12.3@119 and 12.4@119 and 12.2@116.

OK now continue with your irrational hate.
More....Obviously the high trap shows the low 12's high 11's are there w/traction...

Originally Posted by Live2drive15
Doubt this helps but the day I was at Sac raceway it was probably like 60-65 degrees. Saw a black LS3 go 12.7@119. Someone had mentioned about seeing one in colder weather and it was cold that night.
Wow finally thanks! That was my first run on track day#1(10/20) and it was great weather/DA. 12.7@119.5

I have divulged my life story practically. I announced beforehand both track days I was going to race my LS3 with a K&N/160 tstat. I have it on my site and in my signature. Why do you care so much about my freaking tstat?
Nov 24 Im going back, would love to race you.

Denis I am easing into the throttle and am fighting TM on a new engine and on my first runs ever in the car. Of course the traps will vary until I can dial it in which I did at the end of the second track day with:

12.4@117 2.1
12.3@118 2.1
12.3@119 2.1
Yeah I went back a week later
I have a witness to the 119 trap and a witness who raced me on the 12.22 run.

I would argue that the mph difference is explainable because of the modulation of the throttle on the launch, TM, and heatsoak.

I have trapped 119.5, 119.5, 118.1 the first day and 117.9, 118.8, 119.0 in slightly worse DA, it does appear that if there was a trap speed error it would be on the 116 trap run or the subsequent 115 run.
Originally Posted by Live2drive15
What tires are you running? Drag radials?
STOCK, hopefully a 1.9-2.0 is good enough...
I mistakingly got the 12.15-12.17 1/4 from an entirely STOCK 2007 C6 A6 on the Eastcoast, that's why there are the little wars between LS2 & LS3

Last edited by Thericker; 11-13-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 PM

Interlagos Blue 06 M5

& nice to hear you finally experienced the huge limitations of shi*ty run-crap tires

If you drove the C6 w/6 speed manual even better they come STOCK w/3.42's

Rental places give you the bottom of the barrel gearing obviously to preserve the driveline & maintenance life of the vehicle etc..

My C6 came w/the optional 3.15's I upgraded to 3.90's feels and makes a HUGE perf increase, I test drove a C6 w/2.73's absolutely pathetic in comparo (on this we can deff finally agree on something) the 3.90's feel like it has 100+ more HP & TO & are actually = to a 6 speed w/4.10's but since it only has 4 gears 4.10's would make the A4 useless until 3rd & 4th gears, and performs likewise, guys w/almost exact same mods are in the 11's (a 2005 w/3.73 gears on an A4 & similar mods to mine have run a BEST of 11.51 @ 119+ also had 25-30 less RWHP than my C6, I have extra mods)

So your C6 summation really isn't very accurate to most C6 LS2's on the road since the majority don't opt for the wimpy 2.73 gearing or A4 autos, they stopped making the A4 automatic in 2005, the new C6 w/Auto A6 tranny is nearly equal to a 3.90 final gear ratio & it's flying in STOCK trim & runflats12.17-12.20 @ 116 is average when properly launched.

If you want time slip proof I have plenty don't hesitate to ask & yes I still haven't run my beast down the 1320 YET, planning a trip to Sacramento to get some #'s
Point well taken but why does GM release a castrated version like that in the first place? It's a CORVETTE. That makes absolutely no sense and it's no wonder GM lost over $30billion.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by mosesgolf
Point well taken but why does GM release a castrated version like that in the first place? It's a CORVETTE. That makes absolutely no sense and it's no wonder GM lost over $30billion.
I agree w/you, & barring the early crappy gearing GM is still castrating the C6 & Z06 w/TM (Torque Management) totally lame! but very easy to remove w/aftermarket tune & makes a huge difference in perf along w/decent set of real tires that aren't like hard Skateboard wheels