Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

63 Brake squeak...who's got it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
63 Brake squeak...who's got it

With just 9000mi on the clock the E63 has been to the stealer 2 times for the squealing/squeaking brake's first appeared at approx. 6kmi and the dealer replaced all four rotors&pads.

700 miles later they started the same nonsense again,even more so this time around.The car went back to the dealer&stayed overnight this time to have the same parts replaced with(you guessed it) the same exact parts as before.I made it 3 miles and coming to a red-light they did the same thing.
This time around however the smart-*** S.A. tells me "They are performance brake's will squeak.." My reply was: "Umm,my last sports car had ceramic performance brakes,and they didn't squeak" to which she had no response

She did say in a previous conversation w me that AMG is having a HUGE problem with the 63 brakes&she has no idea as to how they will rectify it.She then said she e-mailed the district rep and will wait to here back from him.

So,now what? Continue to bring the car back to replace the rotors&pads with the same parts only to have the problem continue endlessly?

Anybody have any suggestions or experiences?

P.S.-they are nosier then they have ever been&not only is it embarrassing coming to a stop,it's friggin annoying to have this problem on such an expensive car.Mind you it's an hour each way to the dealer
Old 11-18-2007, 12:44 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Make sure you properly bed-in the pads/rotors:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85

Otherwise, you can try AM brake pads like the R4S.

I sure hope MB doesn't start fixing the brakes like they did to the MY08+ SLK55. Their fix: smaller brakes!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Ben

E63
I've had mine corrected with the following bulletin. I think a few other members have also. Have had no brake squeal after this.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=brake+squeal

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
Ben,thanks.
I just checked the part #'s&they are different from the revised pads.I will call first thing in the a.m.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Like so many others I had the exact same problem and felt like an idiot coming to a stop with that ever present squealing that would not cease. At the time I had about 3 ticks on the clock. In reading the advice here, the most logical was the power stop from 60 to 0.

I was a little worried about warping the damn things but I did it anyway. I went home directly and I cleaned all four wheels to an absolute pristine condition. I removed every particle of brake dust from every crack, crevice, and hole. Once the wheels were completely dry I used a high pressure air hose and blew out any remaining dust.

Next I did the power stop 60-0 again and repeated the exact same procedure. I now have 7K on the clock and the brakes haven't made a peep. I clean my wheels every week and I think that is important but NOT fun, at all. I also avoid using the brakes as much as possible by downshifting.

A trip to the stealer wasn't necessary. I must say you have "big *****" taking your ride to them so often. I hate the stealer.

I must admit, the DTB mentioned in Post #3, is a good way to get new pads even if your brakes didn't squeal. Assuming, you don't mind fibbing a little to a stealer.

Last edited by sack5000; 11-18-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
I have a 2006 E55. Around 7K miles it started. Needless to say with 22K on the clock (and no replacement) it still persists. The only meaniful steps to date have been to "shave down" the pads.

Irritated is an understatement...

At least the "63" crew gets SOME love from the dealership.

Mine are so bad then when I am driving through parking lots (or along side fast-food places) to go to the drive-up window you can hear the "SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAK" without the brake even applied.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sack5000
Like so many others I had the exact same problem and felt like an idiot coming to a stop with that ever present squealing that would not cease. At the time I had about 3 ticks on the clock. In reading the advice here, the most logical was the power stop from 60 to 0.

I was a little worried about warping the damn things but I did it anyway. I went home directly and I cleaned all four wheels to an absolute pristine condition. I removed every particle of brake dust from every crack, crevice, and hole. Once the wheels were completely dry I used a high pressure air hose and blew out any remaining dust.

Next I did the power stop 60-0 again and repeated the exact same procedure. I now have 7K on the clock and the brakes haven't made a peep. I clean my wheels every week and I think that is important but NOT fun, at all. I also avoid using the brakes as much as possible by downshifting.

A trip to the stealer wasn't necessary. I must say you have "big *****" taking your ride to them so often. I hate the stealer.

I must admit, the DTB mentioned in Post #3, is a good way to get new pads even if your brakes didn't squeal. Assuming, you don't mind fibbing a little to a stealer.
Ok,I will try what you said.I hand wash my car every weekend&clean the wheels very very thoroughly and they are spotless.

MNM5ETR:The 63 brakes are of the new composite type&are different from the 55's as far as I know.I did have a few teething problems w my E55 brakes when it was brandy-new but after the dealer swapped out the "warped" rotors at 125 miles(yes,125!) everything was fine for the remainder of the time I owned it
Old 11-18-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
I have the same problem on mine. I thought it was only me, but now i'm off to fix this annoying problem.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Had the same problem at 6,000 miles. Went to the dealer with the above TSB..they replaced the rear pads and the front pads and rotors.. not a single squeal since...now have over 9,000 miles.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:53 PM

'08 E63, '08 ML350
Just got my E63 back from its 1.5k initial service/inspection.

Brakes have been squeaking really bad for the last month. Dealer applied the DTB and looks like they replaced the front and rear pads, plus other misc items. Noise is gone, I'll just hope it stays that way.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Banned

Dealer installed new parts&the brakes have been quiet for 1000mi so far
Old 03-21-2008, 04:24 PM

2015 BMW 640ix GC (Ruby Black)
Same experience here.

My dealer replaced just the rear pads under the DTB and the brakes have been 99.99% squeal free since.

One sometimes assumes that when the stealer replaces/adjusts something they are fully informed. They're not. Yours probably just replaced the pads and/or rotors with the same part number. I had to SHOW my SA the DTB# that I had gotten off these boards before it occurred to them to look and order the correct parts.

IF you find that your stealer used the proper replacement pads/rotors and you STILL have squeal well, then, that's the time to become concerned.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:33 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MNM5ETR
I have a 2006 E55. Around 7K miles it started. Needless to say with 22K on the clock (and no replacement) it still persists. The only meaniful steps to date have been to "shave down" the pads.

Irritated is an understatement...

At least the "63" crew gets SOME love from the dealership.

Mine are so bad then when I am driving through parking lots (or along side fast-food places) to go to the drive-up window you can hear the "SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAK" without the brake even applied.

Good luck!
My car does the same thing even without brake applied.