W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63-Sprint Booster makes it less of a "sheep in wolf's clothing".

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by jangy
Last thing. I disagree that my numbers from that day should count. We should take it with a grain of salt, but I showed up to line up against Greg and he beat me fair and square. Would it have been different with the tubes? Maybe, but he whooped my butt.
The CLS' were a different story. Somehow, we always saw the winner differently. I think I got one shot at rarfinancial and he WORKED my ***. The actual ET was not as telling, but he got a great jump on me at the trees. After that, I put it in Dyno mode and started doing the "light, light, GO" thing and my times dropped bigtime.
Funny thing is that I was hotlapping, because I was having so much fun smoking the tires in the pre-stage; but my times simply improved with each and every lap. My 54th lap was my best ET and Traps. Sure, the weather got better as the day went on, but it was the same story even during the day. I wonder if my ECU / TCU was doing any learning, cause I know I was.

Jangy,

We threw out the runs bro. I just wanted you to have fun and really it is not about me vs you or 63 vs 55.. It is simply maximizing your driving and your cars performance.

I know your car held up much better when hot lapping , however I think my car bottomed out after the 5th run in a row, once again all learning and it was a blast.

I agree with you..In a heads up race it is the first car to cross w/o red lighting. And yes you may have a lower ET and higher trap and still lose.

In this scenario , your car is quicker, faster, but you are a worse driver.

So on 11/30 it is about car and driver and I know guys that run the cars have a respect for both models. I know I am fearful of the 55, I owned one , I know it is brutal, it is a difficult matchup. We all must approach this with less ego and more science if we truly want to discover truth.

You and I discussed this and our cars were very close except when I cooled off for 45 minutes with 400 lbs of ice :-).. We are going to have a blast , now you have experience and intakes we will do some real cool matchups. Plus the Corvette and Bimmer guys all want a piece of the Sedans.....

I have nothing but respect for you for coming out and I know you do not take your runs vs the E63 as if the 63 is a JOKE, a PUPPY or a SHEEP.

The original OP never came back, likely has no clue how disrespectful his post was and prolly just wanted to pump the Sprint Booster. with sales tactics like this I am glad I removed mine.

I cannot wait, Rick is going down !!!! and I will return as champ of theCLS 63's

Jangy your 60ft times rocked so you should be difficult to beat at this point.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by OzE55
I think that's a misquote.
I recall Rafal has a spare non-AMG SB. I think that's why he used it on his friends car. My read is that he felt that the non-AMG SB made such a dramatic difference to the throttle feel that buying the (? more expensive) AMG version wasn't worth it.
That's all I'm going to say.
Yesterday, 12:46 AM #1
Rafal
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vehicle I drive: 2005 E55 Silver/Anthracite
Posts: 1,071 E63-Sprint Booster makes it less of a "sheep in wolf's clothing".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks ago I drove my first E63, belonging to a friend, and was totally shocked by how flat, laggy and unresponsive it felt compared to my E55 with AMG Sprint Booster.
Sorry fellows, but if you'd bought the E63, they've sold you a puppy!

There is just no way that anybody in their right mind who previously owned any of the 55K powered cars, would willingly "upgrade" to any of the new 63 powered vehicles (except DerekFSU, LOL).That leaves the new crop of unsuspecting, aspiring AMG owners who don't know what they are missing.

There is a small remedy for the long gas pedal travel, which delays the E63's acceleration until it's been pressed to the boards for a few long seconds.
I just installed in my friends E63 the standard Automatic version of the Sprint Booster (don't bother with the AMG version of SB in a car without the Kompressor) and the improvment was significant. My friend likes it, but he still cannot stop apologising for trading his 5 year old SL55 for this laggy, peaky, high revving car, which has no torque to speak of below 4000RPM

END OF QOUTE

Why not use the AMG SB in an AMG car? RAFAL uses the AMG version yet his supposed buddy gets the version for NON AMG cars, yet he drives an AMG 63, make sense?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Hey, I just read post #26 . This is going to be a blast, I will loan you my camcorder when we run so I can see what my new licence plate looks like from the back..LOL LOL. Way to go juicee I will have plenty of water for everyone and some munchies.. I know you have something up your sleeve and I'll be ready.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:49 AM

E63 biturbo
They made an AMG version of the sprint booster because throttle response was insane with our supercharged engines. I remember installing it in my 55 and taking it out after 15 minutes because I feared that if anyone else drove my car they would probably kill themselves. That's why they came out with an AMG version, which is actually less aggressive than the non-AMG one.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:51 AM

OO7 CLS63///G55TANK ///S80-T6///R1///R6
Originally Posted by Rafal
Two weeks ago I drove my first E63, belonging to a friend, and was totally shocked by how flat, laggy and unresponsive it felt compared to my E55 with AMG Sprint Booster.
Sorry fellows, but if you'd bought the E63, they've sold you a puppy!

There is just no way that anybody in their right mind who previously owned any of the 55K powered cars, would willingly "upgrade" to any of the new 63 powered vehicles (except DerekFSU, LOL).That leaves the new crop of unsuspecting, aspiring AMG owners who don't know what they are missing.

There is a small remedy for the long gas pedal travel, which delays the E63's acceleration until it's been pressed to the boards for a few long seconds.
I just installed in my friends E63 the standard Automatic version of the Sprint Booster (don't bother with the AMG version of SB in a car without the Kompressor) and the improvment was significant. My friend likes it, but he still cannot stop apologising for trading his 5 year old SL55 for this laggy, peaky, high revving car, which has no torque to speak of below 4000RPM.
u 55 guys are funny. There's no lag on my car what so ever. and the shift points are one the best on an engine made by MB thus far. I HAVE YET TO RUN INTO A STOCK ONE AND NOT BEAT IT BY 3 CARS MIN. EVERYTIME. track-street-E-CLS- or whatever. I guess your still mad MB replaced the 55 engine.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by OzE55
I think that's a misquote.
I recall Rafal has a spare non-AMG SB. I think that's why he used it on his friends car. My read is that he felt that the non-AMG SB made such a dramatic difference to the throttle feel that buying the (? more expensive) AMG version wasn't worth it.
That's all I'm going to say.
You got it right-must be the Aussie accent... I never said thev E63 was'nt a true AMG car! Where did they read that? All I said that the non-AMG SB is better suited to a naturally aspirated engine because it has a quicker response. The AMG SB is "de-tuned" in the first 5-10% of its pedal travel to stop our 55K engines from instantly overpowering the traction. That clearly is not the issue with the E63- I failed to induce wheelspin in first, on a wet road!

My apologies to all "63" owners for insinuating your cars were puppies. If I have to be honest, the one I drove, was actually a real dog. The sprint booster made it better, but still not great. From the indignant and defensive comments it seems that most of you have never driven the E55/CLS55/SL55. In most daily driving situations our power delivery with the instant throttle response and low-down torque-on-tap, will never be matched by the E63 until they put a TT in it.
Most of you seem to confuse "NEW" with "BETTER" and believe the MB hype. AMG did not develop a bigger capacity naturally aspirated 63 engine because they wanted to improve the performanceof the 55K
They were forced to delete the hard-as-rock supercharger from under the aluminum hood due to the new pedestrian safety rules in the EU. That is the precise point the head makes contact with the hood.
The rest is marketing BS to make us feel better.
How many of the new E63/CLS63 owners traded their battered, old E55/CLS55? I know of one, and he sold it very soon after. Amen.

Last edited by Rafal; 11-25-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by SAMSSONZ
u 55 guys are funny. There's no lag on my car what so ever. and the shift points are one the best on an engine made by MB thus far. I HAVE YET TO RUN INTO A STOCK ONE AND NOT BEAT IT BY 3 CARS MIN. EVERYTIME. track-street-E-CLS- or whatever. I guess your still mad MB replaced the 55 engine.
Just to be clear, you are the 63 owner that makes the rest of us act the way we do towards the true 63 enthusiasts. I happened to go meet them, so now we have a bond. But, it won't change my endless giggles when I see a 63 guy, in a CLS no less, talking smack. You may have never been beat because you have never run. I gave it to Greg for taking me on the track. The streets are a different tale. Bring that CLS anytime. I don't even think the long *** overhangs will make it around some of the twisties.

3 cars, my ***. BRING IT or SHUT UP!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Rafal
You got it right-must be the Aussie accent... I never said thev E63 was'nt a true AMG car! Where did they read that? All I said that the non-AMG SB is better suited to a naturally aspirated engine because it has a quicker response. The AMG SB is "de-tuned" in the first 5-10% of its pedal travel to stop our 55K engines from instantly overpowering the traction. That clearly is not the issue with the E63-
I failed to induce wheelspin in first, on a wet road!
My apologies to all "63" owners for insinuating your cars were puppies. If I have to be honest, the one I drove, was actually a real dog. The sprint booster made it better, but still not great. From the indignant and defensive comments it seems that most of you have never driven the E55/CLS55/SL55. In most daily driving situations our power delivery with the instant throttle response and low-down torque-on-tap, will never be matched by the E63 until they put a TT in it.
Most of you seem to confuse "NEW" with "BETTER" and believe the MB hype. AMG did not develop a bigger capacity naturally aspirated 63 engine because they wanted to improve the performanceof the 55K
They were forced to delete the hard-as-rock supercharger from under the aluminum hood due to the new pedestrian safety rules in the EU. That is the precise point the head makes contact with the hood.
The rest is marketing BS to make us feel better.
How many of the new E63/CLS63 owners traded their battered, old E55/CLS55? I know of one, and he sold it very soon after. Amen

I can spin my tires on dry and would likely DIE if going WOT on a wet road. Not a good sign, that 63 you drove has more issues than any model of Sprint Booster will fix.

I came out of an E55, I loved it and Love my 63 just as much. They are really close down low and up high, is there a difference, yep but it is subtle not night and day more like 12 and 1...

The 63 is every bit as fast , off the line 55 wins if traction is attained, mid track 55 stays ahead, last half the pulling begins, is it enough? The cars are so close I can stare at the driver , mashed pedal and it is as if we are teathered together. Sorry Rafal, but comparing a sick 63 to all 63's is a mistake
Old 11-25-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Hey, I just read post #26 . This is going to be a blast, I will loan you my camcorder when we run so I can see what my new licence plate looks like from the back..LOL LOL. Way to go juicee I will have plenty of water for everyone and some munchies.. I know you have something up your sleeve and I'll be ready.

NEW LICENSE PLATE??????

LOL,

I am going to capture this real nicely.

Hopefully not from 1st person perspective
Old 11-25-2007, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
The Juice is losing sleep! lol
Old 11-25-2007, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Jrocket
The Juice is losing sleep! lol
YEP!

Hey we will miss you .. Hope you are at least headed to SAC.. we will caravan k?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
The site that runs the show has some nice pics up of the black CLS63 with 030 package LIGHTING UP the tires on pre-stage. There are a few pics there that you may wanna buy. Same for Rocket and MBForever. The rest of us got scawed.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it is on......... this will be AWSOME
Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 PM

OO7 CLS63///G55TANK ///S80-T6///R1///R6
Originally Posted by jangy
Just to be clear, you are the 63 owner that makes the rest of us act the way we do towards the true 63 enthusiasts. I happened to go meet them, so now we have a bond. But, it won't change my endless giggles when I see a 63 guy, in a CLS no less, talking smack. You may have never been beat because you have never run. I gave it to Greg for taking me on the track. The streets are a different tale. Bring that CLS anytime. I don't even think the long *** overhangs will make it around some of the twisties.

3 cars, my ***. BRING IT or SHUT UP!
SIGH-
NOT TALKIN'- Just statin facts.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 E350 Coupe (3rd Benz)
I've destroyed without a doubt every 55 I have come across... I also got my *** handed to me by an SL65, he had top down and waved, ****ER...
Old 11-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Let's look at real FACTS when it comes to the E55 vs E63 speed debate:

1. Both sides have video of their respective car winning side by side races
2. The stock E63 is faster than the stock E55 over 120mph due to gearing.
3. The E55 dominates the 1/4 mile both in et and trap speed (see dragtimes for these facts)
4. The E63 is better equipped to tackle a road course.
5. Power delivery is completely different in both cars. Some prefer the linear approach while some like sledgehammer delivery.
6. At this time, a modified E63 will not touch a modified E55 (see dragtimes for these facts)
7. Juciee will always have something to say (see MBworld for these facts)
Old 11-25-2007, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock

3. The E55 dominates the 1/4 mile both in et and trap speed (see dragtimes for these facts)
5. Power delivery is completely different in both cars. Some prefer the linear approach while some like sledgehammer delivery.
6. At this time, a modified E63 will not touch a modified E55 (see dragtimes for these facts)

LOL!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport

I disagree with number 2: I think the E63 is faster after 80 mph not after 120 mph. At California Speedway, the E63 always pulled in the 2nd half of the track over stock E55.

I kind of disagree with number 3: On average E55 seems to be doing 12.4 and E63 averaging 12.6, but E63 trapping slightly higher.

I definately disagree with number 6: a fully modified E63 will KILL any modified E55. 800+ hp Twin Turbo E63 Kleemann Stage 1

No comment on number 7...............
Old 11-25-2007, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55

I agree except for #2, a properly running e55 will stay in front all the way to the speed limiter.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
a fully modified E63 will KILL any modified E55. 800+ hp Twin Turbo E63 Kleemann Stage 1

I did not see an entry for that car in dragtimes or a video of a posted 1/4 mile.

Last edited by rflow306; 11-25-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I disagree with number 2: I think the E63 is faster after 80 mph not after 120 mph. At California Speedway, the E63 always pulled in the 2nd half of the track over stock E55.
If we look at the mph (dragtimes) many stock E55 trap @ 116-118mph. The E63 trap 2-3mph lower, so I don't see how the 63 pulls ahead at 80mph.

I kind of disagree with number 3: On average E55 seems to be doing 12.4 and E63 averaging 12.6, but E63 trapping slightly higher.
Facts only..... The E55 has trapped below 12.0 numerous times. The E63 has not.

I definately disagree with number 6: a fully modified E63 will KILL any modified E55. 800+ hp Twin Turbo E63 Kleemann Stage 1
Please show Albert that slip.

No comment on number 7...............
I knew you could not argue this fact.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030

3. The E55 dominates the 1/4 mile both in et and trap speed (see dragtimes for these facts)4. The E63 is better equipped to tackle a road course.

Enzoms E55 dominates all 55's and 63's you could say the 55 is faster than the 65 or 600 by looking at dragtimes. We all know the 55 is fast but is it faster than the V12 TT? Is it .7 and 5 mph faster than the 63?

On average 12.3-12.7 is what the cars run 110-115 traps, we still need more 63 runs to do the median calculation but we are getting close.

This thread is about how slow and unresponsive the 63 is not yet another comparison between the 55 and 63.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
If we look at the mph (dragtimes) many stock E55 trap @ 116-118mph. The E63 trap 2-3mph lower, so I don't see how the 63 pulls ahead at 80mph.
I was referring to the 3 visits at California Speedway and 2 in Famoso, the 63 pulled slowly near the 2nd half of the track.

Facts only..... The E55 has trapped below 12.0 numerous times. The E63 has not.
Granted, but also the E55 has been around for over 5 years while the E63 existed only for 1 year. So there are so many E55 owners than E63 owners (even if you just compare production numbers to sale numbers ratio, the E55 sold a lot more than the E63 due to slowing down economy) and more of these owners tracked the car. Give the E63 5 years and do a fair comparison. Also, I'm not denying that some stock E55 dipped into the 11s, but on average, 99% of them record 12.3 to 12.5.

Please show Albert that slip.
I will................... as soon as the package is available. I predict then he'll trade in his super E55 for the new super E63 You just can't beat a twin turbo 800+ hp E63, and that's only the beginning

Wait your car is Kleemann tuned, are you doubting Kleemann's abilities now to produce 800+ hp 63?

I knew you could not argue this fact.
Again, no comments..............

Last edited by MB_Forever; 11-25-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by juicee63
Enzoms E55 dominates all 55's and 63's you could say the 55 is faster than the 65 or 600 by looking at dragtimes. We all know the 55 is fast but is it faster than the V12 TT? Is it .7 and 5 mph faster than the 63?

On average 12.3-12.7 is what the cars run 110-115 traps, we still need more 63 runs to do the median calculation but we are getting close.

This thread is about how slow and unresponsive the 63 is not yet another comparison between the 55 and 63.
On average were Juice, maybe on the west coast.

Let me see
SGC stock 12.0's
Fisk stock 12.0's
Siswati e55 stock 12.1's
Mige55 stock 12.1's
Me 12.3's stock on 20's
All these runs at Moroso in weather no where near as good as the north east. If my stock e55 would have ran 12.70's even in the heat I would have started taking the engine apart to see what's wrong.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
Wow,the OP started some poo-poo in this thread huh?
In the past 2 years I've owned a new C55,new E55&CPO'd CLS55&now have the E63.You cannot deny(yes Juicee,even you..)the supercharged engine's torque hit at low rpm's.The first 60' make or break a dragrace,plain&simple.

Personally,I found the 55's massive torque off the line very difficult to modulate if you just "mashed" the throttle,which in turn made it very difficult to retain traction(I had stock Conti's).When I launch a car/bike I have an extremely difficult time back-pedaling,probably due to all the racing I've done&not wanting to see the guy alongside of me pull ahead while I had to lift to get back traction.

That being said,the 63 has a softer torque spread&is easier to 60' w/out fear of breaking the tires loose.Again,this is w stock tires as I don't go to the track w D/R's.

I haven't run into too many E55 owners that wanted to prove who was faster on the hiway,theres just too much traffic around here.And the guys that will go all out aren't stock so theres no point

All these 55 vs 63 threads are c*r*a*p,they're 4-dr sedans,not 3100lb Z06's that run 11's stock.Who cares which one is faster/quicker etc.If we wanted truly "fast" cars we wouldn't be driving 4000lb sedans would we?
That being said,I enjoyed my 55's as much as I do my 63.
And I'm not a baller,so I have no intentions of throwing $10,000 at my $90,000 car to get 30 more HP

As far as not being able to break the tires in the wet,either thats a flat-out lie or the car has SERIOUS issues as my frickin 90hp Ford Focus D/D can light em up for 100' in the rain
Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by rflow306
On average were Juice, maybe on the west coast.

Let me see
SGC stock 12.0's
Fisk stock 12.0's
Siswati e55 stock 12.1's
Mige55 stock 12.1's
Me 12.3's stock on 20's
All these runs at Moroso in weather no where near as good as the north east. If my stock e55 would have ran 12.70's even in the heat I would have started taking the engine apart to see what's wrong.
Albert, come to California Speedway on 91 octane and lets see if you can break 12.9? I think we'll have a lot of engines being taken apart

But seriously, all the stock 55s that ran so far in California Speedway has not had any trap higher than 106 mph and ET better than 12.8

Last edited by MB_Forever; 11-25-2007 at 04:06 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63-Sprint Booster makes it less of a "sheep in wolf's clothing".