W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer's Free Car Wash Scratched My Car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A slow Tahoe!
Dealer's Free Car Wash Scratched My Car!

BE AWARE!!
Guys if you like your paint job don't let the stealership wash your car. I dropped my 430 off last year to get a routine service and low and behold they put a nice/deep 14 inch scratch across the top of it. I didn't notice it until a got home, I called them and they told me to bring it in and they would "buff" it out. I asked why would I trust them to buff my car when they can't even wash it without damaging the paint............thanks but no thanks! Since then every time I drop my cars off I have them put a sign in the windshield for a "no wash". The scratch never really came out, I know it's still there. If had been the beast they scratch I probably would've raised more hell.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by E55BKS
Since then every time I drop my cars off I have them put a sign in the windshield for a "no wash".
ouch sorry bro, this has been my standard routine for over 7 years
Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by E55JAY
ouch sorry bro, this has been my standard routine for over 7 years
Truly...I never let them wash the car...too many horror stories from their teenage workers that could care less about washing the beast.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Never Let The Dealer Wash Your Car. I always put signs on the glass that read, "Please Don't Wash" and I explicitly tell my service advisor to put on the job order "Do NOT wash car".

Read this story I posted in your other thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/223115-list-procedures-you-shouldn-t-let-dealership-do-your-car.html
Old 12-19-2007, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Never Let The Dealer Wash Your Car. I always put signs on the glass that read, "Please Don't Wash" and I explicitly tell my service advisor to put on the job order "Do NOT wash car".
I do the exact same when I take my car in for service.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 PM

S211 AMG
Too late for me folks! I normally remind my dealership not to wash my car but I forgot this time.
You'll not believe the mess they have made of my once perfect black paint. Every single panel has scratches and swirls on, I'm heartbroken

They have of course offered to buff them out but how can I trust them now? I told the general manager that my detail guy was the only one who is touching my paint and that I was going to send him the bill. He said that they wouldn't pay it if they don't get a chance to fix the problem themselves.

I hope he reconsiders his position in the morning.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Mercedes dealers are the only place where you can get your car "washed" and have it come out looking worse than it went in. It's ridiculous.

When I pick the car up, I end up having to go straight to the "real" carwash to get all the grime and dirt smears off my windows and windshield, not to mention the paint. Ever heard of windex?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
I don't know how it works elsewhere, but my dealer pays its wash service $3-$5 per car washed. I watched the service in action, and you would have to be a masochist to let them touch your car.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by CWW
Mercedes dealers are the only place where you can get your car "washed" and have it come out looking worse than it went in. It's ridiculous.

When I pick the car up, I end up having to go straight to the "real" carwash to get all the grime and dirt smears off my windows and windshield, not to mention the paint. Ever heard of windex?
Not really. I had a Lexus and I swear they washed the car with a floor mop, so Mercedes dealers are not the only ones.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by lkirchner
Not really. I had a Lexus and I swear they washed the car with a floor mop, so Mercedes dealers are not the only ones.
Mercedes is definately not the only one............. So far, I've seen this happen on BMWs, corvettes, and toyota.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Had a similar problem with my Black C32 about 4 years ago. I had the car Zaino'ed and upon dropping the car off, I explicitly told them, "NO CAR WASH" as I always request that it not be touched.

Guess what, they went ahead and washed it up anyways.
I have never screamed at any business manager like I did that day. They ended up paying a detail guy who specialized in Zaino detailing.

The guy who washed my car was fired on the scene. Supposedly they had complaints about this employee a few weeks prior. It appeared as though he dropped the wash me into a kitty litter box and then kept on washing like nothing ever happened.

Good luck
Old 12-21-2007, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
I got my Black E430 scratched from the free dealer machine car wash years ago. Now I have an order to not wash in my records and when I take my car for service I tape a note to the dash stating 'Do Not Machine Wash'.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E63S and 2015 Macan S
They scratched up the top of my trunk and they said they repainted it but It still doesn't look like before. Dooshbags
Old 01-02-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
This bums me out to the max. What the hell is going on: if we can't trust the frickin dealer to not screw up a simple car wash, what the heck can we trust? I know, I know, you guys are all saying "where are you from, Kris, and how are you still so naive?" But, man, this is so basic; we shouldn't have to tell them "hey, by the way, please don't SCRATCH this $90k car I bought from you." It's like telling the surgeon, "hey, I would appreciate it if you didn't poor motor oil into my open chest cavity during surgery." It's like: do we have to instruct everyone as to every little detail that formerly was covered by common sense and basic courtesy?

I've had my dealer wash mine many times and it looks good, but after hearing these horror stories, I will not take the chance any more.

Thanks. I am now removing my rose-colored glasses, and I am moving back to Mayberry RFD.

Kris
Old 01-02-2008, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by KrisKeeney
This bums me out to the max. What the hell is going on: if we can't trust the frickin dealer to not screw up a simple car wash, what the heck can we trust? I know, I know, you guys are all saying "where are you from, Kris, and how are you still so naive?" But, man, this is so basic; we shouldn't have to tell them "hey, by the way, please don't SCRATCH this $90k car I bought from you." It's like telling the surgeon, "hey, I would appreciate it if you didn't poor motor oil into my open chest cavity during surgery." It's like: do we have to instruct everyone as to every little detail that formerly was covered by common sense and basic courtesy?

I've had my dealer wash mine many times and it looks good, but after hearing these horror stories, I will not take the chance any more.

Thanks. I am now removing my rose-colored glasses, and I am moving back to Mayberry RFD.

Kris
Part of the problem is that the technology has changed so fast in an effort to make things better, but unfortunately, it also made things a bit more complicated. For example, when new detailing equipment was created, such as, micro-fiber towels, abbraisive-free polishers, CSS pads, etc...... only the people that care about such work adopted the new technology and new equipment (mainly "detailers" and car enthusiasts) while dealers and other cheap car wash places chose to cut costs and stay with old technology longer. Yes, at the dealership, they still actually use regular towels, which will scratch the hell out of your clear coat even if applied lightly, which after a while should cause very noticable swirl marks on the paint. I don't want to even imagine the damage if they used their cheap polishers and pads

I've actually spoken to my SA about this, and he told me that the management here simply doesn't care about the problem. He said we sometimes hire people with no "car washing" experience, never train them, and tell them clean these cars What makes this even worse is that most people don't even care if they have tiny swirl marks and scratches in the paint. It is only when they become too visible that people start complaining This then creates huge profits for the dealership. They can charge you $300 for a detail that cost them $20

I would honostly NEVER let my dealer wash the car. I rather leave it dirty until I can take it to my detailer.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-02-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 PM

S211 AMG
same problem. Check out the pics. My detail guy took 20 hours to buff the clearcoat back as good as new. I did some major complaining BTW and thankfully the dealership did this right thing and paid the bill.

I agree with all here that this so crazy. I just can't understand why the dealership would open themselves up to kind of problem and it makes my blood boil that its my fault for forgetting to remind them not to wash my car...
Attached Thumbnails Dealer's Free Car Wash Scratched My Car!-lee-s-e55-wagon-3-.jpg   Dealer's Free Car Wash Scratched My Car!-lee-s-e55-wagon-5-.jpg   Dealer's Free Car Wash Scratched My Car!-lee-s-e55-wagon-11-.jpg   Dealer's Free Car Wash Scratched My Car!-lee-s-e55-wagon-085.jpg   Dealer's Free Car Wash Scratched My Car!-lee-s-e55-wagon-outside-034.jpg  

Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Oh. My. God. ^^^^^^^

It's like they washed it with sandpaper. Are you sure they didn't run it through a sandblasting machine by mistake?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Oh, it gets worse........

Some of the big dealers actually have a machine car wash in their service department. Imagine the machine slapping your car around with some of the most abbraisive materials out there
Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by Fleebee
same problem. Check out the pics. My detail guy took 20 hours to buff the clearcoat back as good as new. I did some major complaining BTW and thankfully the dealership did this right thing and paid the bill.

I agree with all here that this so crazy. I just can't understand why the dealership would open themselves up to kind of problem and it makes my blood boil that its my fault for forgetting to remind them not to wash my car...
Wow, I had a dealer do that on the delivery wash of a new car that I bought recently and I almost killed them. It was a special color combo so I didn't have many options. I took it to a good body shop, had them wet sand and polish it until it looked like glass and made the dealer pay. In the end it all worked out but I feel for you after seeing those pictures!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 AM

SL55
This Stuff is Absolutely INSANE!

I Bring my car in ONLY when it's an absolute MUST!

Otherwise I do all the work myself. When I do... SA, and Tech Get $50 ea. SA will not let anyone go near the car.

I have hand rubbed my car for 100hrs, It is like a Piece of Glass Even under a Floresent Light bulb.... Not even one light wipe scratch. They know better than to even wipe my car off...

But then Again, they all think I'm Insane...

Which I am

Best,

RoydRage
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Ignorance is bliss. I run mine through the car wash all the time and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
I don't know about every other dealer out there, but I do know that the guys who do our detailing are sublet out to a company. This company has done a very impressive job getting out acid rain spots, swirl marks, etc and they use our "soft touch" car wash with no problem (they also use a chamois and microfiber towels to dry). We run everything from a $500 car to a $200k car with no worries and to my knowledge havent had anyone complain yet. I guess im like regor60, ignorance is bliss.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
I don't know about every other dealer out there, but I do know that the guys who do our detailing are sublet out to a company. This company has done a very impressive job getting out acid rain spots, swirl marks, etc and they use our "soft touch" car wash with no problem (they also use a chamois and microfiber towels to dry). We run everything from a $500 car to a $200k car with no worries and to my knowledge havent had anyone complain yet. I guess im like regor60, ignorance is bliss.
I don't think you are ignorant at all. Rather, I think you've got a good system there, which is the way it should be everywhere.

Maybe I'll drive mine from Richmond to your place to get my servicing/washing done.