New Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by BMWEATR
Why do you say its a better tire?do you have a example?
Yes the PS2 has the most skitish sidewall I have ever seen. For an extra load tire it sure squirms around a bunch. Every full load shift in my now sold E55 was met with the back of the car wondering all over the place. The same happens on my SL55 with 295 19 inch tires in the rear. There are threads showing how the michelin sidewall is very weak and prone to flexing under load.

If you take a PS2 and feel the sidewall when it is just sitting there unmounted, you can easily feel a very weak and thin spot in the sidewall of the tire. Take any other tire in the class and feel for a corresponding weak or thin spot in the side wall and you wont find it. This may make the PS2 very smooth and comfortable but it also makes it pretty unstable and vague when pushed hard on a performance car.

If you love them enjoy them. Its not a bad tire its just not my cup of tea.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Yes the PS2 has the most skitish sidewall I have ever seen. For an extra load tire it sure squirms around a bunch. Every full load shift in my now sold E55 was met with the back of the car wondering all over the place. The same happens on my SL55 with 295 19 inch tires in the rear. There are threads showing how the michelin sidewall is very weak and prone to flexing under load.

If you take a PS2 and feel the sidewall when it is just sitting there unmounted, you can easily feel a very weak and thin spot in the sidewall of the tire. Take any other tire in the class and feel for a corresponding weak or thin spot in the side wall and you wont find it. This may make the PS2 very smooth and comfortable but it also makes it pretty unstable and vague when pushed hard on a performance car.

If you love them enjoy them. Its not a bad tire its just not my cup of tea.
That is a good example I agree w/ you on that matter. When driven hard this does go away, probrably from the tire pressure build up.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
The pole position tire is far better than the non pole position. You will like the RE050 PP tire since I think its really a better tire than a PS2 and a fraction of the cost.

Report back when you get them on the car. I am done with PS2's after this set wears out on my SL. Bridgestone for sure next time.
I dont know how good the PP are yet but since you have 19s Id have to urge you to try the RE01Rs.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:50 PM

2012 CLS63
Update: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

So I've been on these tires for 3 months now... I need to update my opinion; I really like them. Within a week or two of having them on I really started to notice the difference versus the stock tires. The dead-stop traction is a little better (never very good on these cars). The handling, however, is MUCH better. These tires have definitely changed the way the car takes turns and given me a lot more confidence. The noise and ride are as good as stock or better, so they seem like a no-brainer to me.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by BMWEATR
Why do you say its a better tire?do you have a example?
YES, ANY real race track, road course, autocross or drag and you will see why I have always said " Friends don't let friends buy Michelins"

And yes I had them on My M's, and they are SO over rated its almost a crime for what they charge. Heck my 2000 stang outhadled my M's and it was on Yokohama's, which is a sad testimonial for Michelins.

The Brigdestone 050 PP's are truely amazing, and yes I have trakced them as well. The down side is, they don't have alot of sizes as of yet. But they do win races

See yeah
Old 02-26-2009, 01:56 PM

2012 CLS63
Another update... I'm over a year into these now.. almost 14 months. The positive opinion I had in my last post lives on. Unfortunately, my back tires are now shot and I'm ready to replace them. I have no complaints as such; the fact that tread loss is limited to the rear shows that it is all due to me spinning them from a stop at.... I'd say... 90% of my accelerations. I think it was during this past year that I realized optimum acceleration is achieved by just letting them spin, and not by trying to feather the throttle to avoid wheelspin. I mean, you don't wanna just hammer it of course or itll shift into 5th gear, kick in the ever-present (despite disabling via button) traction control, and totally stop you, but you do want the tires to be skittering through 20-30mph. While on the topic, I've generally concluded that on dry flat pavement the tires will break loose if the car is floored at up to about 45-50 mph. It's a pretty ridiculous situation. Given these cars have 510lb torque, I cannot fathom what it is like in any of these 700+ lb cars like turbo V12's. Are these things completely undrivable?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
I am now also running the Asymetrics. I like them. I have loved the GSD3 on other cars but they do not come in the XL load rating required for my E63. I have really not gotten on it yet due to lack of opportunity and too much work.