Sponsored by:

New Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
New Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

Has anyone tried these our yet? My stock tires are shot and I need to replace them, and I'm pretty close to just pulling the trigger on these. I can't find any real world reviews yet though - just some press/media. My goals are to keep ride and noise at stock or better levels, but mainly to improve traction.
Tirerack says they are in stock but I get an error on checkout... will have to try again tomorrow...
Old 01-07-2008, 11:44 AM

2012 CLS63
bumping...

think i posted this at a bad time of day to get a response...
Old 01-07-2008, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Never tried them. Only the GSD3 which have great traction, but poor wear and noise.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by perullo
Has anyone tried these our yet? My stock tires are shot and I need to replace them, and I'm pretty close to just pulling the trigger on these. I can't find any real world reviews yet though - just some press/media. My goals are to keep ride and noise at stock or better levels, but mainly to improve traction.
Tirerack says they are in stock but I get an error on checkout... will have to try again tomorrow...
what are your stock tires? PS2s?

I can't see going to goodyear anytime soon; many of us on this forum have enjoyed consistent solid performance with Mich PS2s. No need to experiment with something new.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:05 PM

2012 CLS63
stock=contis

I'm stock on continental. This morning tirerack was back on track and i fired off the order - should have the F1 Asymm. on this week. I'm chime in with an update on how they are. I caught up on most of the PS2 v. GSD3 v. Toyo talk here, and it seemed offhand that about 85% preferred PS2, but the majority of the remainders were absolutely up in arms about the very notion. I was willing to go with them on balance, but that new goodyear offering looked like just this ticket to mix it up a bit. It's always fun to experiment.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
I'm stock on continental. This morning tirerack was back on track and i fired off the order - should have the F1 Asymm. on this week. I'm chime in with an update on how they are. I caught up on most of the PS2 v. GSD3 v. Toyo talk here, and it seemed offhand that about 85% preferred PS2, but the majority of the remainders were absolutely up in arms about the very notion. I was willing to go with them on balance, but that new goodyear offering looked like just this ticket to mix it up a bit. It's always fun to experiment.
whats your location?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Im glad you went with goodyears! Most people on this board just say PS2s are the best cuzz someone else said so. PS2s are over priced and dont wear very good for the traction you get.
best tire I have been on so far is the potenza REO1Rs I have personaly ran many different tires just for the hell of it to see what is best. Ps2-T1rs-P-zeros. and I forget the dunlop name but they sucked so it dont matter. and of coarse the stock contis none compare to the REO1Rs. Im gettin ready to try the RE050A pole position next only cuzz the REO1Rs dont come in 20".

keep me posted on what you think of the F1s im curious.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
keep me posted on what you think of the F1s im curious.

yes, please post your experience with the Goodyears. I've had good experience with my PS2s, but also was pleased with Pzero on previous mercedes. But Rocket is correct: the PS2s are painfully pricey. So I am all ears if the Goodyears are good.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:10 AM

2012 CLS63
got em on

I got the tires on yesterday.... but it's been wet/raining since. That said it seems pretty good in the rain, but I haven't been able to really flog it yet.
Also - they are stating 37-39 psi per tire right now and changing a bit hour to hour. I'm going to wait until it settles and then move them all to 36ish.

Lastly, the micking fricking tire pressure warning msg comes up EVERY time I start the car. I know the pressure changed yesterday morning - new tires were installed. Now it's over. Let's get past it. I clicked stuff.. still there.. I guess I'll have to search the forums now. At one point I could get no reading as well.. and it said to push the R button. You know.. R. WTF?

it never ends, does it.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:52 PM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
I got the tires on yesterday.... but it's been wet/raining since. That said it seems pretty good in the rain, but I haven't been able to really flog it yet.
Also - they are stating 37-39 psi per tire right now and changing a bit hour to hour. I'm going to wait until it settles and then move them all to 36ish.

Lastly, the micking fricking tire pressure warning msg comes up EVERY time I start the car. I know the pressure changed yesterday morning - new tires were installed. Now it's over. Let's get past it. I clicked stuff.. still there.. I guess I'll have to search the forums now. At one point I could get no reading as well.. and it said to push the R button. You know.. R. WTF?

it never ends, does it.
Let us know how you like them..I will be looking at tires in the spring and look at the Goodyear....doesn't look like a drivers tire just by looking at the tread pattern....but I guess it's how it performs!!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 PM

2012 CLS63
My opinion is worthless

I owe a review on these...
So I've been driving on them for x days now... Overall very postive. I'd say sound is down.. but could be totally subjective. Ride quality is the same or better (than stock conti 2's)... cornering traction seems a bit better, and straight line acceleration seems slightly improved.

All of that said, I'm comparing them to the stock tires and, in particular, the stock tires with little tread left of late. We'd really have to do a side by side or have someone more observant involved to really get an apples to apples, but definitely no complaints; any area I could measure I would call the same or improved.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:36 PM

Kleemann CLK 43K
Thanks for the review. Autocar tested this tire and this is the video.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...AR=228551&CT=V
Old 01-15-2008, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
... Most people on this board just say PS2s are the best cuzz someone else said so. PS2s are over priced and dont wear very good for the traction you get. ...
Sorry Rocket, but I've had both PS2's and GS-D3's on my CL and the only place where the Goodyear wins in wet traction.

The PS2 has better dry grip, handling and wear. Despite having a higher treadwear rating, I got 25% less mileage out of the Goodyears than the Michelins. I think the harder rubber compound spins a bit more easily, thereby negating the expected wear advantage.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Sorry Rocket, but I've had both PS2's and GS-D3's on my CL and the only place where the Goodyear wins in wet traction.

The PS2 has better dry grip, handling and wear. Despite having a higher treadwear rating, I got 25% less mileage out of the Goodyears than the Michelins. I think the harder rubber compound spins a bit more easily, thereby negating the expected wear advantage.
I would expect that also comparing them to a lesser tire. I am saying there are better tires for cheaper and they will last longer or as long. PS2 are over hyped. what other tires have you ran on the E class? Im goin on my 5th set next week.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:20 PM

I would expect that also comparing them to a lesser tire. I am saying there are better tires for cheaper and they will last longer or as long. PS2 are over hyped. what other tires have you ran on the E class? Im goin on my 5th set next week.
Point well taken. I ran Pzero Neros on my previous E class (E500) and found them to be fine tires; not much of a difference in performance than the mich's. At that time, I purchaed the zero/neros b/c they were significantly less expensive (tirerack). I may try them again after these current PS2s on the Animal run out, though with this car, I am less inclined to experiment than I was with the relatively tame E500.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Not an E class, a CL55, but I've also run Bridgestone Re050's (OEM) and they lasted about 30% longer than the PS2's. They were second place for cornering and traction.
It just may be that the torque (530ft/lbs) and the cooler surface temps over the past 4 months helped the harder rubber to spin more easily.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:31 PM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i

They were not comparing the GS-D3...they were comparing it to the NEW assymetrical Formula 1.....which, looking at the video...is more suited to our rear wheel drive cars I had PS-2, but looking to try something else....I will try them when I get new tires in about 2 months.....
Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Not an E class, a CL55, but I've also run Bridgestone Re050's (OEM) and they lasted about 30% longer than the PS2's. They were second place for cornering and traction.
It just may be that the torque (530ft/lbs) and the cooler surface temps over the past 4 months helped the harder rubber to spin more easily.
Im sorry were you sayin the re050s were 2nd to the PS2s? dammit I hope not cuzz I just ordered thoes last week. I wonder if there is a big differenc between re050s and re050a pole positions?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
They were not comparing the GS-D3...they were comparing it to the NEW assymetrical Formula 1.....
I recognize that, here is what Rocket said, which I quoted:
... Most people on this board just say PS2s are the best cuzz someone else said so. PS2s are over priced and dont wear very good for the traction you get. ...
I was only addressing that generalization, not commenting on the assymetricals.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Im sorry were you sayin the re050s were 2nd to the PS2s? dammit I hope not cuzz I just ordered thoes last week. I wonder if there is a big differenc between re050s and re050a pole positions?
There is a difference, the Pole Positions are the big boy tires and the OEM's are something less.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
There is a difference, the Pole Positions are the big boy tires and the OEM's are something less.
ya I just read on the bridgestone site that the pole position were better. either way I will now have another set of tires to compare. I realy want the new P-zeros untill I seen the price tag.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
ok, ok, ok, tire subject is something i know a little about, I have A LOT! of track time on the ps2's and the p-zeros, and the yokohamas. These in my opionion w/ the yoko's and p zero's being about the same, is how they stacked up

PS2's #1 for over all performance, and the best non race/track tire on the market.

All other tires everyone talks about on this forum #2 or worse. If you want good rain tires probrably good yr. people neeed to stop reading the hype on tires out of mags like C and D etc they are biased! or paid advertisments disguised as a article on tires.
If you could care less about performance go buy what ever you want. If you want the over all best then ps2's. also ps2's have the least amount of road noise as they reach the end of thier life. Some of the tires mentioned by all have really good performance for the 1st 1-4k mi then they drop off were ps2's don't, as the last time i went to the track my ps2's were shot! i was passing gt3's/lambos, etc etc all day long in a 4300 pound tuna boat and if i could get the frign tape to upload from my computer to you tube i would show you!!

Last edited by BMWEATR; 01-15-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
ya I just read on the bridgestone site that the pole position were better. either way I will now have another set of tires to compare. I realy want the new P-zeros untill I seen the price tag.
The pole position tire is far better than the non pole position. You will like the RE050 PP tire since I think its really a better tire than a PS2 and a fraction of the cost.

Report back when you get them on the car. I am done with PS2's after this set wears out on my SL. Bridgestone for sure next time.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
You will like the RE050 PP tire since I think its really a better tire than a PS2
Why do you say its a better tire?do you have a example?
Old 01-15-2008, 05:42 PM

'08 CLS63
best tire I have been on so far is the potenza REO1Rs I have personaly ran many different tires just for the hell of it to see what is best.

Im gettin ready to try the RE050A pole position next only cuzz the REO1Rs dont come in 20".
the re01rs are the best tires i've ever had also (on my e55)...i would have bought them for my s class but they don't come in the right size and load rating (101)...and i don't care for the p/s but that's about all you can get with XL tires....sucks!!!

let us know how the pp compare t the 01r's!

john

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric