Sponsored by:

New upcoming CTS-V to have 550HP/550lbft tq

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
cts-v

I drove the last cts-v. I wasn't that crazy either but I had two issues that don't seem mentioned here:
1 - feel. My passenger said it felt super quick, but it didn't to me as the driver. There was something about the seat-of-the-pants feel lacking. Perhaps it was the suspension.
2 - The ride and smell was all naseau-inducing 1985 floating to throwup outside your middle school. There is something about those interiors they just can't get past. It looks great in those pictures, but I'll be interested to see when they finally make things feel precise and clean.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
must read!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/au...illacctsv01500

notice the torque comes at a high rpm level..

I would love to see when the compressor engages and the amount of boost it produces...

a dyno sheet would be great!

I would like to have more torque sooner... but high rev torque is good for the open highway runs..

you can't have it all.. I guess.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by TopGun32
Score: 10 for the Caddy brand.

I was getting a bit tired of supercharged cars and really would like to move to a Turbo engine.

But this could sway me to look into the Caddy, if the price is right.

I would love a BMW V8TT as much as a 6.2L supercharged engine and the package the V represents.

I don't have the budget for $70k car right now.. but a pre owned would a steal!

tough choice. In 2009 you can have pre-options of the following cars

IS-F
M3 sedan
C63
RS-4
and CTS-V (slight bigger but should be around the same price range)

Yup, and the CTS-V is the only f/i car on the list...and stock its making 100 more hp than the highest hp car there (the C63)...the potential alone is enough to make me jump on this car. And idk about you guys, but the interior looks killer and the bodykit is badass.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Honestly guys we are talking about a Caddy V series that was in its first generation of production. The M series and AMG series cars have been around for much, much longer.

I previously owned a CTS-V which had its fair share of issues but was still a fun car to throw around. My E55 is a great car but it has its shortcomings. I don't think its fair to call the Caddy a POS.

I really think that the new V will be a ton better than the previous car and will have the power and the ability to keep it on the ground as it should have had in its 1st generation.

The new V will be quicker than the 63 and 55 but within a year MB will have a car that's faster. That's how it always is...
Old 01-09-2008, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
I'v read in some magazine which said the previous CTS-V had a poor gear ratio .. if it gets improved in this generation, i'd seriously consider getting one
Old 01-09-2008, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by TopGun32
notice the torque comes at a high rpm level..

I would love to see when the compressor engages and the amount of boost it produces...

a dyno sheet would be great!

I would like to have more torque sooner... but high rev torque is good for the open highway runs..

you can't have it all.. I guess.
I'd also love to see a dyno sheet. I used to like instant torque but I realized that in most serious races, the higher RPM power is what really matters while the low-down torque is for showing off, spinning tires, and having fun.

Though I'm sure that since this engine is based off of the LS3 it will have more than enough torque to get her moving off the line
Old 01-09-2008, 02:36 PM

'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Originally Posted by adean1979
2nd!!!!!!!!!! I hate people who bash a car just because of the brand. It gets old. If you're not a true car enthusisat, get off car forums. I love Z06s, MBs, BMWs, Audis, Porsches, RX7s, 03-04 Cobras not because I love a brand but because I love cars, period. I think it's lame when people judge a car before the thing has even come out b/c of what badge it's being branded under. If it comes out and it doesn't perform as expected or it's extremely unreliable, then bash it. If you don't like the looks of car, then you're free to say you don't like its' appearance. Until it's tested, this car on paper looks like the real deal.
Oh, I get it ....so the HISTORY of a product plays no bearing in your decision making! So when TURBONATOR comes out with their NEW & IMPROVED 90HP INCREASE, I guess you will want to try it out too! "Hey it said on the paper that it gives 90hp!"

One born everyday, even in 1979!

Signed.......MB badge snob!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RW C55
I'v read in some magazine which said the previous CTS-V had a poor gear ratio .. if it gets improved in this generation, i'd seriously consider getting one
according to Edmunds... it has a better 1/4 gear ratio the german competitors...

6 spd auto or manual is not bad.. specially since it can handle 550lb of Tq in stock form. I'm sure it can a handle another 50lbs with no problems.

it weighs a bit more.. than a m5 and the E63.. but not by much. It still has the better power to weight ratio.

I'm not jumping on the band wagon to buy one.. but I do give it respect for a good product.

but a pre-owned would be a possibility.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:33 PM

Audi S4
Originally Posted by ENDSMTG
Oh, I get it ....so the HISTORY of a product plays no bearing in your decision making! So when TURBONATOR comes out with their NEW & IMPROVED 90HP INCREASE, I guess you will want to try it out too! "Hey it said on the paper that it gives 90hp!"

One born everyday, even in 1979!

Signed.......MB badge snob!
Uh, didn't MotorTrend just give the new CTS Car of the Year award? While I don't always agree with them, it's not like they're saying to themselves "let's just give this piece of crap CTS the COTY award b/c we feel like it". They obviously were impressed enough with the car to do that. Isn't GM also putting much of their tech from the $100K+ ZR1 model into this car? Uh, yeah. While the car hasn't come out, I think those 2 things warrant the belief that the car will be much better than previous Cadillac sports sedans.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Honestly,

I'm looking into something that has a lot of potential and can throw me down the 1/4 mile in under 11 seconds and that will own just about everything on the streets while being a daily driver. This car seems very similiar to an E55, just its newer and the 6.3 liter engine and Eaton blower, along with the modern looks and pimp interior are making this car look reallll good right now. This is a car that will be modded easily to deliver 650 or more hp. Pulley and the basic bolt-ons, a tune, and a little laughing gas will quench my thirst. With a rumored sub $70k price, this seems like quite a deal to me.

The manual tranny can definitely handle more torque as its the same transmission as the Viper's and ZR-1's. The auto tranny...guess we gotta find out.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:45 PM

'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Uh, didn't MotorTrend just give the new CTS Car of the Year award? While I don't always agree with them, it's not like they're saying to themselves "let's just give this piece of crap CTS the COTY award b/c we feel like it". They obviously were impressed enough with the car to do that. Isn't GM also putting much of their tech from the $100K+ ZR1 model into this car? Uh, yeah. While the car hasn't come out, I think those 2 things warrant the belief that the car will be much better than previous Cadillac sports sedans.
Let's agree to disagree. I HOPE that it all pans out as you say. As for MotorTrend and other publications, +1, but I still take previous history into consideration. Hell, a GREAT example would be Audi. Remember when they got all the bad press about the 5000 jumping out of gear and killing people. They turned it around, and now the A8 & RS models are all head turners. Lets see what happens, but don't expect to see me in the Caddy forums.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:49 PM

Audi S4
Let's agree to disagree. I HOPE that it all pans out as you say. As for MotorTrend and other publications, +1, but I still take previous history into consideration. Hell, a GREAT example would be Audi. Remember when they got all the bad press about the 5000 jumping out of gear and killing people. They turned it around, and now the A8 & RS models are all head turners. Lets see what happens, but don't expect to see me in the Caddy forums.
Fair enough.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
I just put my name down on the list at the local dealer.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Audi S4
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I just put my name down on the list at the local dealer.
Very nice!! Did they say when demos would be available to test drive?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:04 PM

SLK55, Mustang 480hp, CBR600rr
This has gotten funny...The car does look nicer than the previous version of it and interior is nice, but still not me reminds me of my grandfather's kind of car...caddy, buick...

couple things:

1. if it is true that it has cast pistons don't plan on adding much hp, unless you plan on putting in forged ones. There is a reason why the new ZR1 has forged pistons in it. Frankly, I can't believe they are putting out a supercharged car with that much hp and cast pistons, it must run low boost like 5-6psi.

2. Secondly, who knows how big the back wheel openings are the car is going to need 305 or bigger tires to hook good.

3. It's a Caddy = old man's car.

4. Maybe the Chevy dealer from Ohio can answer this, does GM still use shims to get their body panels to line up correctly? LMAO...

5. The motor and trans are tough, but it's all the other junk on the GMs that break and drive you nuts.

Here is a clip of a CTS-V with only 12k miles on it(and he happens to be one of the Streetfire employees)...hmmm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...a500aa04d9.htm

Pp

Last edited by Ppower; 01-09-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:09 PM

Audi S4
Originally Posted by Ppower
This has gotten funny...The car does look nicer than the previous version of it and interior is nice, but still not me reminds me of my grandfather's kind of car...caddy, buick...

couple things:

1. if it is true that it has cast pistons don't plan on adding much hp, unless you plan on putting in forged ones. There is a reason why the new ZR1 has forged pistons in it. Frankly, I can't believe they are putting out a supercharged car with that much hp and cast pistons, it must run low boost like 5-6psi.

2. Secondly, who knows how big the back wheel openings are the car is going to need 305 or bigger tires to hook good.

3. It's a Caddy = old man's car.

4. Maybe the Chevy dealer from Ohio can answer this, does GM still use shims to get their body panels to line up correctly? LMAO...

5. The motor and trans are tough, but it's all the other junk on the GMs that break and drive you nuts.

Here is a clip of a CTS-V with only 12k miles on it...hmmm

Pp

I would agree with your comments about the pistons. That's the only weakness I saw on paper with the car. That's really going to limit any mods that increase boost levels on the motor with cast pistons. We'll see how that pans out.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
It's well known that the last CTS-V wasn't that great. This is a complete redesign though and GM knows they need to start producing some great cars or they'll be out of business in no time.
I hope you are right but frankly, even the C6 Z06 leaves quite a bit to be desired in every area except for sheer performance. I will probably try a new V but not ZR1 as I have better things to do with $100K+ then spend it on a GM product.

On a more positive note, the interior is a massive improvement over the last generation just as with the C6 Z06 and ZR1.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by psuball1
Honestly guys we are talking about a Caddy V series that was in its first generation of production. The M series and AMG series cars have been around for much, much longer.

I previously owned a CTS-V which had its fair share of issues but was still a fun car to throw around. My E55 is a great car but it has its shortcomings. I don't think its fair to call the Caddy a POS.
Back in the day my C36 was the first MB effort at an AMG car and it was flawless with no issues and shortcomings that I can recall. In fact, I would call it one of my favorite out of all the AMG cars that I have owned.

Ditto with the E30 M3 which was the first M from BMW outside the M1.

My '92 Audi S4 had no issues or shortcomings when it was new and this was the first S offering.

My CTS-V was fun but it was built like garbage and there was simply no excuse. Not to put them down too hard but GM is good at screwing things up and they should be able to raise their standards. But it obviously doesn't prevent the idiots (like myself) from continuing to buy their vehicles.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM

adean1979....case closed!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ProV1
To MB badge snobs (not directed to you), it wont mean ***** if CTS-V had 600 or 700 HP, b/c it'll still be a "GM" and they are driving a "Mercedes-Benz". Your points are well-taken, but we're talking a car with confirmed #s from the manufacturer vs. pure speculation. Or show me some proof of 650/700 #s please. Plus, I'd really like to know the reliability & longevity of TT V10 BMW and TT 6.2 MB engines if they ever get produced. Last time I checked, it's MB, not Caddy, which has been ranked near the bottom on every reliability/quality tests. Finally, E63TT will be minimum $115k with typical options. This V will be $59k-65k.

Listen, I'm not a Caddy fanboy nor have I owned any Caddys. I love MB/Bimmers and have owned em all my short life. But let's give credit where it's due, Caddy's have come a long way and this new V seems like a great car. my 2c
when it comes to reliabilty all cars have there problems and there is no car out there that is problem free. I have two friends that have brand new lexo's one of which is the new LS 460 and the 460 has been in the shop twice. in the same token my e55 is in the shop now(finally getting it back tonight). I thinks the new CTS is a great car. i would never buy one even if the build quality has been improved. it has nothing to do with prestige, i'm just not a GM fan. also caddy's track record speaks for itself. This is my second merc and both cars I had issues with. one thing thoe is we are missing the point. the CTS-V is a competitor with M3 and the C63. that is why the price point is so low. the car is smaller than a e class or a 5 series and was built to compete with entry level sports cars. on another note everyone has the right to judge a car anytime they want to. I have driven many a car on test tracks and participate regularly in automotive design study groups. if you are a TRUE performance person and that's all you cared about the EVO 8 would be the car you would own. the one I had weight 3100 pounds and dynoed at 550WHP on race gas which I ran all the time. I would kill a CTS-V in a second and I beat many a car with that EVO 8. then you grow up and realize that there is a lot more to a car than just speed and horse power. so I moved on to experience more cars. I can't wait to drive the new V when it comes out, but I am this not old enough to own a caddy.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:01 PM

Audi S4
Yeah, I saw that video about a year ago. There will always be lemons from every manufacturer. Look at this chart. Is that Cadillac at #3 right below Lexus? That can't be Where's Mercedes?

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....=&aff=national

Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Originally Posted by kipper215
when it comes to reliabilty all cars have there problems and there is no car out there that is problem free. I have two friends that have brand new lexo's one of which is the new LS 460 and the 460 has been in the shop twice. in the same token my e55 is in the shop now(finally getting it back tonight). I thinks the new CTS is a great car. i would never buy one even if the build quality has been improved. it has nothing to do with prestige, i'm just not a GM fan. also caddy's track record speaks for itself. This is my second merc and both cars I had issues with. one thing thoe is we are missing the point. the CTS-V is a competitor with M3 and the C63. that is why the price point is so low. the car is smaller than a e class or a 5 series and was built to compete with entry level sports cars. on another note everyone has the right to judge a car anytime they want to. I have driven many a car on test tracks and participate regularly in automotive design study groups. if you are a TRUE performance person and that's all you cared about the EVO 8 would be the car you would own. the one I had weight 3100 pounds and dynoed at 550WHP on race gas which I ran all the time. I would kill a CTS-V in a second and I beat many a car with that EVO 8. then you grow up and realize that there is a lot more to a car than just speed and horse power. so I moved on to experience more cars. I can't wait to drive the new V when it comes out, but I am this not old enough to own a caddy.

I think you said it perfectly regarding being a TRUE performance car fan!!

I do believe that they are targeting the V against the M5 and E-class AMG cars. The price point is closer to the M3 and C63 but power and size is for the bigger cars, which makes the price point less expensive. I know the STS-V is more in the price and size range of the bigger cars but I don't think they use the STS-V as their icon performance car.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 PM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by kipper215
This is my second merc and both cars I had issues with. one thing thoe is we are missing the point. the CTS-V is a competitor with M3 and the C63. that is why the price point is so low. the car is smaller than a e class or a 5 series and was built to compete with entry level sports cars.
Everything that I have read indicates that the CTS is actually a little larger than both the E and 5 series, which would also tend to make sense given the higher indicated curb weight. I think the looks are just so-so, but if they have corrected the severe wheel hop and other drivetrain issues, it should be a blast to drive. If they end up priced in the 60's, it may end up being the best bang-for-the-buck sports sedan out there.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=adean1979;2590151]Yeah, I saw that video about a year ago. There will always be lemons from every manufacturer. Look at this chart. Is that Cadillac at #3 right below Lexus? That can't be Where's Mercedes? [QUOTE=ADEAN1979;2590151]

Perspective? I'm sure you have heard of JD Powers right?
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/quality-ratings

Looks like Benz beat Caddy at JD Powers!

Last edited by ENDSMTG; 01-09-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: content
Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
[QUOTE=ENDSMTG;2590208][QUOTE=adean1979;2590151]Yeah, I saw that video about a year ago. There will always be lemons from every manufacturer. Look at this chart. Is that Cadillac at #3 right below Lexus? That can't be Where's Mercedes?
Originally Posted by ADEAN1979

Perspective? I'm sure you have heard of JD Powers right?
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/quality-ratings

Looks like Benz beat Caddy at JD Powers!
If I am reading this correctly JD Power states that Buick has the least problems followed by Lexus and then Caddy?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New upcoming CTS-V to have 550HP/550lbft tq