W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling P car owners, is this a good deal??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Calling P car owners, is this a good deal??

It's been a few years since I had my Porsche, so I am a little vague on the variations, GT3, GT2, etc...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/535726667.html
Old 01-13-2008, 08:42 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
The GT3 is a bit more of a track car than street car but can easily be driven everyday. This appears to be a 996 based example. The GT3's get lots of extra performance goodies, are light weight, get more aggressive suspensions and the engines are of the dry sump design like the TT and GT2's (sans the turbo stuff). There is also a GT3RS and a GT3RSR both even more qualified for the track. The GT2 is a lighter weight TT with RWD and the TT has AWD. The GT2 is the ultimate new 911 offering for the moment. The TT with tiptronic and sports chrono are extremely fast and actually faster from 0-60, 0-100 and 0-120 than the 6 speed TT's w/ sports chrono. The sports chrono pakage allows a short duration of over boost pushing power and torque to over 500. I believe the GT2 get's the overboost all the time and the GT2 has a new Porsche launch control with the 6 speed that's supposed to be unreal.

The 997 based cars (GT3's or not) are better in many respects to the 996 ones and a 997S with the X51 powerkit is putting out about the same power as a 996 based GT3 plus you'll get a new car.

The 997's are due to get DFI for MY 09 and an optional DSG gear box plus new front and rear bumpers along with LED's and better interior materials. The new DFI 997S is supposed to be about 370+/- hp and figure about 400 +/- with the optional X51 power kit...not bad for a 3200 lb car. If you are in the market for a 997/S I'd wait for the new facelifted version to come out either for all the new upgrades or a great deal on leftover 08's. The TT's will get DFI and the associated power boost too but it may come a bit later than the 997/S and there is a rumor of new redesigned turbo engine altogether.

Hope this helped a bit.

Last edited by RJC; 01-13-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:13 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Thumbs up

For everyone's entertainment...a great vid from top gear containig a new 997GT3 a new R8, a drag race, a gt3 crash (with Mr personality behind the wheel)and a track race...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Myv...d.php?t=126451
Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 AM

Thanks, so when you want to sell your car to me?...

So is the car in the ad a good deal?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
Originally Posted by coolcamden
It's been a few years since I had my Porsche, so I am a little vague on the variations, GT3, GT2, etc...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/535726667.html
Depends on how you want to use the car. It would be pretty rough as a daily driver b/c it's very low and the suspension on the streets of SF can be brutal. It's highly optioned and rare in white. If I were in the market for a GT3, I would consider this car. Have a PPI done and take the car to Porsche. Have them hook it up to their computer and check to see if or how many over revs on the engine. High miles means there's more room for negotiating. GL.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
A few things to consider (and yes, I am a P car guy...more specifically a GT2/GT3 guy) about this car, it is nice to have an '05 but the miles are high for a GT3, the interior is tan, and the car does not have the full leather option.

A perfect GT3 in my book includes the following basic options:

Aluminum dial option
Full leather option (the vinyl on the dash and doors is total crap from Porsche)
Try to get a car with under 16K miles as they are plenty out there.

Things like carbon trim, painted trim, stainless sills, etc are more personal taste items then anything else.

No PCCB brakes as they are prone to problems and a refresh is expensive. If you do get a car with these, make sure they are perfect and pull the rotors/pads immediately and replace with GT3 CUP rotors in steel. This will preserve the resale of the car if you have perfect PCCB's that are in the box and save you money. The stopping power is just as good.

The bottom line on a GT3 is to simply buy a nicely optioned car that has not been tracked and has low miles. Unlike the E55, these cars are nearly impossible to braek and are relatively trouble free with the exception of main seal leaks various squeaks/rattles.

The good deal comes not from finding the best price but the best example with the lowest miles, price is secondary. Also, do not buy a cheaper high-mile or heavily tracked GT3 unless you plan to track it. The latter is what it was designed for but track use can be identified on these cars and will effect the value if there has been more than a DE or 2. It will be normal for a GT3 to have cracked rotors on the front even if it was only used on the street.

An '04 and '05 are EXACTLY the same so there is no advantage to the '05 unless it is still under warranty or you prefer the rarity of the '05 as there were very few produced.

My car was a white over black '04 with the following options and $135K sticker:

Full leather
Aluminum dials
Stainless sills
Blue belts
Aluminum look dash trim (small package)
Aluminum look cluster surround
Leather air bag (gorgeous)
Cruise (never used it)

Items I added:

Euro seats (never came to the US and should be in every GT3 as our sport seat was a comfort option everywhere else in the world)
6 point factory Schroth harnesses in blue
Factory stainless rear roll bar/harness mount
GT3 Cup Splitter
GT3 Cup Rotors
GT3 Cup Brake Ducts
Pagid pads
Upgrade toe links (must have)
Corner balance with good alignment (makes all the difference in the world)

I sold this car earlier this year for $79K with 11K miles and that was a good deal so maybe you can use that as a guide and price up/down based on options and extras.

There is no 997 X51 or otherwise that does what the GT3 does as it is not power, there are too many changes to the GT3 to list in this post. THe engine is VERY special and is a true dry sump derived from a GT1 with Titanium rods, air cooled case, etc. The suspension, tranny, and even the tub of the car is specific to the GT3. You are basically buying a road going GT3 Cup car with an interior.

The 997 GT3 and GT3 RS are also great cars but were built to be more marketable cars. THey are faster on the 'Ring but few drivers (even skilled ones) can take either to 10/10ths so it boils down to feel. In this department, the 996 GT3 is more of an enthusiasts car, the 997 GT3 is easier to live with and drive daily. THe active suspension is interesting in the the soft setting is not stiff enough to keep me happy and the stiff setting is too stiff for most US tracks...go figure!

I drove mine whenever and where ever I could on a daily basis during summer months (even with the Euro seats). The only limitations were that I did not drive it when I didn't know what parking/entrances would be like at my destination as the car is very low, I could not take it anytime I needed to carry more than a brief case or for light shopping as there is no cargo capacity with the Euro seats (you can't access the back anymore) or in heavy rain as it is a PITA to drive in bad weather.

This is a car that will demand 100% or your driving attention at all times and is probably the best car you will ever own. No matter how fast or slow you are driving, it will always remind you if you are driving badly or reward you for driving well. You will bottom the front lip out all the time so buy 2 or 3 spares (they are only $175ea) as they can get ripped of on a rough highway at 100+ are torn up around town.

For more advice and info, join Rennlist and visit the GT3 forum.

BTW, I sold mine to buy a GT2 as while I love the GT3, the GT2 is the far more useable daily street car. That, and while 400HP (they all dyno at 400+, not 383) is plenty in a 3000lb car, I prefer 600HP in a 3250lb car!

Good luck...you will love it! And sorry for the long reply but I can't help myself when it comes to talking about the GT3 or 2.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC

The 997 based cars (GT3's or not) are better in many respects to the 996 ones and a 997S with the X51 powerkit is putting out about the same power as a 996 based GT3 plus you'll get a new car.
Very informative post but the above statement is not true when it comes to a 997S X51 vs. 996 GT3.

The 996 GT3 gives you a dry sump engine, air cooled case, Titanium rods, forged pistons, and many other things not found in the X51 engine. Also, the 996GT3 engine will dyno at 400-410HP when pulled from the car while an X51 will not. The suspension on a GT3, tranny, and the actual tub are also special so you get way more car for the money.

The 997S X51 is a great street car but it is no streetable race car like the GT3 and does not have the feedback or performance abilities...and yes, these comments are based on actual seat time in an X51.

That aside, I will agree that all other 997 models are superior to their DIRECT 996 counterparts.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:54 AM

Very informative and throughout input. Thanks guys.

I may talk to the guy and go drive it and see how I feel about it.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very informative and throughout input. Thanks guys.

I may talk to the guy and go drive it and see how I feel about it.
If you like track oriented cars, be prepared to buy a GT3 after you drive one!

I have not driven a finer raceable street car and I honestly don't think one exists. And on the track, the 996 GT3 is actually faster than many of my race cars have been!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
If you like track oriented cars, be prepared to buy a GT3 after you drive one!

I have not driven a finer raceable street car and I honestly don't think one exists. And on the track, the 996 GT3 is actually faster than many of my race cars have been!
I don't race anymore.

I raced for over 20 years, in SCCA, autocross and kart all over California and Nevada. I did pretty good and had fun with a great buddy of mine... I believed I was invincible, not in where I placed, but that nothing was going to touch me or hurt me.

Then about 2 years ago I was pinned and tapped during a race and flipped the kartcar going almost 70mph. As you well know, there's no cage with a kart car. I broke all the ribs on the rear left side and torm my rotator cuff. Miraculuously my lungs did not collapse and no other internal injuries. My torso was completely bruised, you cannot find a regular color skin for months.

The worse thing was the call to my wife to come up to Infineon to take care of the cars, and the absolute worst thing was when our 12 year old at the time told me, "Dad, please no more".

I miss it, but never for a second regretted the decision. I go bicycle riding with the family now, and getting hurt running into deers instead, but that another story.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'd love to meet you and learn about P cars from you... I had a 1996 993, the last of the air cooled... loved that car.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't race anymore.

I raced for over 20 years, in SCCA, autocross and kart all over California and Nevada. I did pretty good and had fun with a great buddy of mine... I believed I was invincible, not in where I placed, but that nothing was going to touch me or hurt me.

Then about 2 years ago I was pinned and tapped during a race and flipped the kartcar going almost 70mph. As you well know, there's no cage with a kart car. I broke all the ribs on the rear left side and torm my rotator cuff. Miraculuously my lungs did not collapse and no other internal injuries. My torso was completely bruised, you cannot find a regular color skin for months.
Ouch, that is why I gave up karting when I was 17....wrecking is way too painful. hen I see guys that are 40+ racing them and all I can think is that they are better men then I!

Anyway, with your background, the GT3 is perfect and I think that you will love it. It is not really a car for someone that has never been on a track at speed. This is the reason that there are so many wrecked GT3s and also the reason that there are so many ultra low mile cars (bought by people who wanted to own Porsche's road going race car until they figured out it beat the hell out of them so they hardly drove it). This car is all about the total package which is about perfect (engine elasticity, handling, turn-in, control feel, mechanical noises, smell, and speed).

Enjoy and feel free to PM me if you have any question when looking. I don't know everything about these cars, just almost everything!

BTW, My last Porsche before the GT3 was a 930 - the "widow maker". Shortly after that, Porsche started making their cars too refined for my taste thanks to their overactive marketing department. I never thought I could fall asleep going 0-60 in 3.7 seconds until I drove my first 993TT in '96 but a wonderful machine anyway