W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys wash your car ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550.. Gone but never forgotton - E63 AMG..
Question How do you guys wash your car ?

It is very cold here in NY and I took my 63 to the car wash for the first time and I dont think I will do that again. Nothing bad happened besides the parktronic going crazy while the car was going through the wash, no scratches or anything.. What do you guys do
?
Thx
Old 01-14-2008, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Sick as Fu*k
HANDWASH only for me
Old 01-14-2008, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I hope you didn't take it to a machine type car wash. To avoid swirl marks and other scratches, the car needs to be hand washed with non abbrasive chemicals and wiped using only microfiber towels. It is better to take it to a detailer even if you want only a wash. I think most detailers will offer you a discounted price on a wash if you take the car to them regularly.
The problem with the machine washes are that they use thick grippy material in the rotating brushes to withstand the harsh chemicals. Well, that material will scratch the hell out your car. Also, there is always dirt deposits that tend to gather around the edges of brushes from the car that got cleaned right before yours. And you never know where that car has been. It could be a truck that was out in the oil fields or a hardly used car. It's a big gamble. Also, after a good wash, a coat of wax or synthetic sealant will add more protection to the paint and keep the car looking shiny.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I hope you didn't take it to a machine type car wash. To avoid swirl marks and other scratches, the car needs to be hand washed with non abbrasive chemicals and wiped using only microfiber towels. It is better to take it to a detailer even if you want only a wash. I think most detailers will offer you a discounted price on a wash if you take the car to them regularly.
The problem with the machine washes are that they use thick grippy material in the rotating brushes to withstand the harsh chemicals. Well, that material will scratch the hell out your car. Also, there is always dirt deposits that tend to gather around the edges of brushes from the car that got cleaned right before yours. And you never know where that car has been. It could be a truck that was out in the oil fields or a hardly used car. It's a big gamble. Also, after a good wash, a coat of wax or synthetic sealant will add more protection to the paint and keep the car looking shiny.

Unfortunatley is was a machine car wash. Here is the situation, I have the car barely all of 2 weeks, the weekend arrived and a few of my friends had no clue that I picked up this car.. We spoke of hanging out and I couldnt go with a dirty car, so I took it to the Oakleys machine car wash.. I dont see anything wrong but I wont take any more chances. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by ESIX3POWER
Unfortunatley is was a machine car wash. Here is the situation, I have the car barely all of 2 weeks, the weekend arrived and a few of my friends had no clue that I picked up this car.. We spoke of hanging out and I couldnt go with a dirty car, so I took it to the Oakleys machine car wash.. I dont see anything wrong but I wont take any more chances. Thanks a lot.
It is very hard to see swirl marks right after a wash because the car will usually be too shiny and too smooth. But if you let it dry, then look at it under complete sunlight, then you should be able to identify any swirl marks (if there is any of course). Swirl marks are just light to medium scratches in the clear coat, and sun light will slightly change color when it hits the path caused by these scratches, which makes them easier to see.

So always remember, from now on, only go to hand wash detailers. And make sure they only use microfiber towels on your car because regular towels will also scratch the car.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
I take it to a detailer once a week where they hand wash and dry it, then hand wax it. costs $75 per week and keeps it looks great
Old 01-14-2008, 05:11 AM

Only hand washes with the Micro fiber towels from now on. If I see any Swirl marks tomorrow I'm going to

The second day after picking up the car I handwashed it my self because the weather was pretty good. I used the Zaino car polish which gave the car a brilliant mirrorlike shine. What products do you guys use ?

Thanks again

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2008, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Get yourself some McGuiars Ultimate Detailing spray. Use this between washes to keep the finish dust free, shinning, and smooth. Actually, you can go over your entire car with this stuff and avoid the weekly wash when it is cold.

McGuiars also has a quick detailer for your wheels. Brake dust is hard to clean and destroys the appearance of the wheel.

McGuiars has other products so stock up!

Keep your car out of the rain as much as possible and never machine wash especially when you take your car to the stealer. Tell them not to wash the car.

I agree with the advice on microfiber towels but don't ever use the towels dry as you will scratch the car, especially the plastic bumper covers.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by Fantasm
I take it to a detailer once a week where they hand wash and dry it, then hand wax it. costs $75 per week and keeps it looks great
That is $3,600 per year on car washes!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by sack5000
Get yourself some McGuiars Ultimate Detailing spray. Use this between washes to keep the finish dust free, shinning, and smooth. Actually, you can go over your entire car with this stuff and avoid the weekly wash when it is cold.

McGuiars also has a quick detailer for your wheels. Brake dust is hard to clean and destroys the appearance of the wheel.

McGuiars has other products so stock up!

Keep your car out of the rain as much as possible and never machine wash especially when you take your car to the stealer. Tell them not to wash the car.

I agree with the advice on microfiber towels but don't ever use the towels dry as you will scratch the car, especially the plastic bumper covers.

Good stuff! Thanks
Love the Black E63. Great pic of the rear !
Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by sack5000
That is $3,600 per year on car washes!
That would almost cover my insurance for the year.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
I live in NY too,I handwash my 63&use a silicone squeegee&my leaf blower to dry it off.I would just assume NOT wash it then take it to a commercial carwash,that will F*ck your car up quick
Old 01-14-2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by oldgixxer
I live in NY too,I handwash my 63&use a silicone squeegee&my leaf blower to dry it off.I would just assume NOT wash it then take it to a commercial carwash,that will F*ck your car up quick
In what way would it F* the car up ? Scratches and Swirls ? That's a good idea with the leaf blower.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
1. I have a detailer come to my house every 2 weeks...charges $35 per car for car wash, blow out (air compressor), and vacuum
2. Between detail washes, I keep a handy supply of Quick Detailer & MF towel for spot details. If the car isn't too dirty, I'll do a once over with the detailer and MF towels between washes (usu. takes me 30-40min). Make sure you use a liberal amount of detailer in areas with more dirt, use multiple MF towels (one for initial wipe and one for dry and polish), always wipe/dry with MF length wise on the car to prevent classic swirl marks.
3. Every 3 months, the detailer does "quick polish/wax" - $80
4. Once a year, the detailer does a "full on detail inside and out" - wash/clay/polish/wax - $150
5. Once a month, I remove each wheel and wash and polish the interior of the wheel rim and clean the rotor and caliper (via floor jack and torque wrench).
Old 01-14-2008, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by AMGfan
5. Once a month, I remove each wheel and wash and polish the interior of the wheel rim and clean the rotor and caliper (via floor jack and torque wrench).
You are sick!
But I do the same whenever I have the wheels off. It's good to know there are others out there like me. I use Rejex on the calipers and inside wheels, seems to do okay.

To Esix, don't use the same towel on the bottom panels, bumpers and wheels as you do on the upper paint. Reduces the chances of grinding heavy soil into the paint.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
In what way would it F* the car up ? Scratches and Swirls ? That's a good idea with the leaf blower.
I took my daily driver to the carwash and in front of me was a F350 w a good deal of mud on it.He went thru&came out clean.So any chances of the dirt particles being stuck onto the equipment used to wash&dry my car when I went thru behind him? Yup,it scratched up my car pretty good,and it's black so all the swirl marks were visible in the sun.Try&prove it to the car wash management however.
Most car washes are decent,but personally I'd rather handwash my $90k+ vehicle&not take a chance,but to each his own.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///AMG
Hand wash every week and every two weeks wax.
I do it myself and love the leaf blower

Where in NY?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Wash? Will it make it faster? What is the fastest detergent? Wax?

Haha!! just messin.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:31 PM

SL55
Arrow The Deal

Originally Posted by oldgixxer
Gixxer,

That's a good method, I would DROP the squeegee though... All it takes is one piece of grit that it catches, and it will put a nice scratch in the paint. It might not happen for a while, and depending on your color you might not see it right away... But it's going to happen.

First what do you wash it with?

First Power wash the car with a wide jet, no soap, this will get rid of most of the dirt. No matter what, when you wash the car, you're going to put light wipe scratches in... Take precautions to assure that you are doing the least damage.

What to wash the car with: Mitts, brushes & towels or rags are DEFINATELY out!

Use only a *REAL* deep sea sponge from Rock Island Mex. They are Ultra Porous, and will never trap debris. Also use the 3 bucket method, after washing a section with the sponge, have 2 rinse buckets, and shake and twist the sponge in No#1 Bucket (pre-rinse), Then No#2 Bucket (rinse), and finally in the soap bucket, this will stop contamination from getting ground back into the paint.

Use a high quality soap... I like Zymol... It's all natural, has lubricants, and smells nice!

Then to dry, a leaf blower is good... but make sure it's electric, and watch that cord. I worry about 2 stroke oil, and exhaust getting on the paint if it were gas powered.

I like using a whole Roll of Bounty Paper towels... Bunch up 4 or 5 sheets at a time, and Blot NOT WIPE!!!

Then Filtered Compressed air to get the water out of the crevices... They re-touch up with Bounty.

And Yes after 100 Miles Or before if using the brakes a lot, the wheels come off, and the fender wells are cleaned with Armor All, and the Calipers are cleaned & waxed, and the rotors cleaned with Brake Parts Cleaner. Of course the bottom of the car has to be cleaned on a lift. Not that Often cause I don't drive in the Winter, or the Rain.

Hope this helps... I've won numerous best detailed ribbons at car shows, and this Method has never let me down.. Waxing is another story!!

Best,

RoydRage

Last edited by RoydRage; 01-14-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
You are sick!
But I do the same whenever I have the wheels off. It's good to know there are others out there like me. I use Rejex on the calipers and inside wheels, seems to do okay.

To Esix, don't use the same towel on the bottom panels, bumpers and wheels as you do on the upper paint. Reduces the chances of grinding heavy soil into the paint.
+1 on not mixing MF towels (top vs. bottom panels). DFW01E55...you should see my wife shake her head and roll her eyes whenever I clean the inside of the rims and take care of the calipers/rotors...

I tell her its my stress relief therapy (besides golf)...I'll put on my wireless bluetooth headphones, turn on my Ipod Classic, light a cigar, and open a nice cold Bud Light then I'm good to go.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I always have and always will wash my car at home...no where else...
Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 PM

2004 E55
That would almost cover my insurance for the year.
well if you're in Calif you need to give me a call... I can help that out!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 PM

2004 E55
If I have to wash the car QUICKLY... it's to an ALL WATER spray car wash... NOTHING touches the car but HIGH pressure water and soap... if not then it's handwash either by me or my detailer.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by RoydRage
Gixxer,

That's a good method, I would DROP the squeegee though... All it takes is one piece of grit that it catches, and it will put a nice scratch in the paint. It might not happen for a while, and depending on your color you might not see it right away... But it's going to happen.

First what do you wash it with?

First Power wash the car with a wide jet, no soap, this will get rid of most of the dirt. No matter what, when you wash the car, you're going to put light wipe scratches in... Take precautions to assure that you are doing the least damage.

What to wash the car with: Mitts, brushes & towels or rags are DEFINATELY out!

Use only a *REAL* deep sea sponge from Rock Island Mex. They are Ultra Porous, and will never trap debris. Also use the 3 bucket method, after washing a section with the sponge, have 2 rinse buckets, and shake and twist the sponge in No#1 Bucket (pre-rinse), Then No#2 Bucket (rinse), and finally in the soap bucket, this will stop contamination from getting ground back into the paint.

Use a high quality soap... I like Zymol... It's all natural, has lubricants, and smells nice!

Then to dry, a leaf blower is good... but make sure it's electric, and watch that cord. I worry about 2 stroke oil, and exhaust getting on the paint if it were gas powered.

I like using a whole Roll of Bounty Paper towels... Bunch up 4 or 5 sheets at a time, and Blot NOT WIPE!!!

Then Filtered Compressed air to get the water out of the crevices... They re-touch up with Bounty.

And Yes after 100 Miles Or before if using the brakes a lot, the wheels come off, and the fender wells are cleaned with Armor All, and the Calipers are cleaned & waxed, and the rotors cleaned with Brake Parts Cleaner. Of course the bottom of the car has to be cleaned on a lift. Not that Often cause I don't drive in the Winter, or the Rain.

Hope this helps... I've won numerous best detailed ribbons at car shows, and this Method has never let me down.. Waxing is another story!!

Best,

RoydRage
RoydRage, your car looks amazing. It shines just like if it was a show car that has never been driven.......

One question though, the Bounty paper towels move is a little risky, isn't it? Bounty is very thick and "scratchy" even if you're just blotting. I would use the microfiber towels as the hair on them is supposed to be 100 times smaller in diameter than human hair. This enables the towel fabric to get in between the small particles of the paint without scratching it.

Also, what kind of wax do you use?

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-14-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:32 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
RoydRage, your car looks amazing. It shines just like if it was a show car that has never been driven.......

One question though, the Bounty paper towels move is a little risky, isn't it? Bounty is very thick and "scratchy" even if you're just blotting. I would use the microfiber towels as the hair on them is supposed to be 100 times smaller in diameter than human hair. This enables the towel fabric to get in between the small particles of the paint.

Also, what wax do you use?
MB,

Thanks very much. It's been driven, it has over 5,000mi on it. When I get a new car I never let the dealer touch it... I've seen some dealers wash cars with Brooms!

I pay off the Svs Mgr, and tip everyone in sight, and tell them to give me the car dirty... They can do Irrepairible damage in one wash.

I have wet block sanded my entire car with #2500 sandpaper, and rubbed it out for 100hrs. It looks absolutely WET... No wipe scratches, this is very hard to maintain, and It's important to *NEVER* touch the car! Touch it only when you are cleaning it.

As for drying the car with Bounty, there is no problem, it works great... I never had a issue, especially when it's a little moist. Moisten with distilled water it is softer and has no mineral content. This also works great when applying wax or polish.

Now... A good quality Microfiber cloth might be a little better... But can you use a BRAND NEW UNTOUCHED one for every section of the car? No... You see what I'm saying? With the Bounty, you have a brand new drying towel for every 2ft section of the car.

The polishes and waxes that I use are all custom, I won my first best paint in a car show in 1978, so I've been at it a long time.

I am So OCD it's not funny!

It's Tuff Being Me.

Best Always,

RoydRage

Last edited by RoydRage; 01-14-2008 at 10:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you guys wash your car ?