Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice/help/suggestions on E63 brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
Gixxer: I too have an E63, mine does squeal some, but not as much as your's! I have another issue and mine is related to an off idle hesitation, BUT that's another story which I will post shortly. I work in the brake industry, not cars, but trucking, and essentitally both the same when it comes down to niose. In order to create noise, there has to be some form of vibration, either in the pad, rotor, calipers, or pad backing plate. Sometimes when they bond or rivit a pad to a plate, there is sometimes a sort of mismatch. New technology has the backing plate with "teeth" and the pad material is actually formed on the plate and cured with the plate, but thats another story also. I would look at several items, first, the pads...make sure that the back plate is flat and coated with a thick sticky agent that does two things, first is couples the brake pad to the piston better, and the viscosity of the fluid also dampens the vibration. Second, cracks in the pad itself...while not harmful to stopping, it does create noise or chatter when the brakes are applied, and third is scoring on the rotors...which can cause the pad to chatter or make a noise when applied. i also whould check to see if the pads are chamfered, which means the leading edges are rounded off with sand paper, this sometimes prevents hairline cracks from appearing in the middle of the ends of the pads. Instead of the fluid on the back of the pads, sometimes they use a heat resistant shim...there are solutions to brake noise..but sometimes it's easier to say "all high performance cars do that". Then if enerything is ok...sometimes you have to look at the brake dust and because it is an abrasive...it will and can score rotors, and can cause cracks in the pads. Hope this helps somewhat..........
Wow! Amazing information buckeye,thankyou VERY much for the time writing that.
Also,a big thankyou to everyone else who replied with info/advice it was very helpful in helping me decide what to do

The car went back on 2/18 to receive updated pads,springs&clips.Due to weather conditions I've only been able to put 200+ miles since the repair.So far so good,the true test will come monday when we have a track rental&the car will be doing repeated stops all day from 115+mph to 0.
Again,thanks to all who responded!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Originally Posted by oldgixxer
Wow! Amazing information buckeye,thankyou VERY much for the time writing that.
Also,a big thankyou to everyone else who replied with info/advice it was very helpful in helping me decide what to do

The car went back on 2/18 to receive updated pads,springs&clips.Due to weather conditions I've only been able to put 200+ miles since the repair.So far so good,the true test will come monday when we have a track rental&the car will be doing repeated stops all day from 115+mph to 0.
Again,thanks to all who responded!
Gixxer: Before you take the car to the track...try and "bed" the pads first, with fifty or so miles of various driving..without too much heat. What happens to pads, (shoes also)..is that the resins used to form the pads are still "green" meaning they have not had time to adjust to various temperatures. When this does not happen, the resins release gas and pockets form inside the pad and sometimes greate a void or crack...someplace for the gas to escape...thus you have vibration (crack)..and then a squeal. Hope this helps out....