Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice/help/suggestions on E63 brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
Angry advice/help/suggestions on E63 brakes

Ok everyone,I'm at my wits end!The brakes have been squealing on my 63 since 500miles.It's been back to the dealer 4x.It has the updated springs/pads&they have replaced all 4 rotors.They cannot fix it.I have tried all the suggestions from you guys(thanks,I appreciate it!) the last time I posted this topic.I've cleaned the brake dust,went out&did the whole stopping from 60,80,100mph thing a dozen times&to no avail.

I just spoke to my S/A and she says the shop foreman will have to call MB on monday&open up a technical case against my vehicle.I'm assuming this will accomplish nothing.

The dealer has been very accommodating thus far;even though they tried to give me the "well the E63 comes equipped w hi performance brakes,and thats what hi performance brakes do,they squeal" after the fourth visit. BS!

Is it possible that I could Lemon Law this car due to the unfixable(so far) problem?The car drives/handles/stops wonderfully otherwise.I'm not sure if the Lemon Law only applies to mechanical failure that will leave you unable to operate said vehicle?I'm so pissed off right now I don't feel like searching Lemon Laws in New York.If I were to sell the car tomorrow the brake squeal would/could be a deal breaker.I wouldn't buy a car that had it,so I own a "broken" car

Guys/gals;what would you do if this was YOUR car??I'm open to any reasonable suggestions

Enzom,any quick legal advice??
Old 01-26-2008, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
If it is truely the fastest E63, then you would be walking away from a sweet engine. I personally, would not even think about it. You might decide to go buy a set of Brembos which would be far cheaper than trading in and getting another.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
If it is truely the fastest E63, then you would be walking away from a sweet engine. I personally, would not even think about it. You might decide to go buy a set of Brembos which would be far cheaper than trading in and getting another.
I know gixxer, he's a stickler for detail, if you've ever heard the story about the "paint droplet" on the CLS55 he used to own, you'd know that squealing brakes are a catastrophic failure.

I don't know what to tell you buddy, but the last people on earth who can help are those at your local stealer. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
This is what NY lemon law states,so who knows if I have a leg to stand on....

4) IF THE SAME PROBLEM CANNOT BE REPAIRED AFTER FOUR OR MORE ATTEMPTS; OR IF YOUR CAR IS OUT OF SERVICE TO REPAIR A PROBLEM FOR A TOTAL OF THIRTY DAYS DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD; OR IF THE MANUFACTURER OR ITS AGENT REFUSES TO REPAIR A SUBSTANTIAL DEFECT OR CONDITION WITHIN TWENTY DAYS OF RECEIPT OF NOTICE SENT BY YOU TO THE MANUFACTURER BY CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED; THEN YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO EITHER A COMPARABLE CAR OR A REFUND OF YOUR PURCHASE PRICE, PLUS LICENSE AND REGISTRATION FEES, MINUS A MILEAGE ALLOWANCE ONLY IF THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN DRIVEN MORE THAN 12,000 MILES. SPECIAL NOTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MAY APPLY TO MOTOR HOMES.

(5) A MANUFACTURER MAY DENY LlABILITY IF THE PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY ABUSE, NEGLECT, OR UNAUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS OF THE CAR.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Gixxer,
I would go old school, before doing a lemon deal.
Find an independent shop (that can bond brake materials and has a Bridgeport) and have them install insulation backing to your pads, then mill them true. This is way past what a dealer can do, all dealers can do is throw parts at a problem.
Hey be thankful you don't have SBC.........

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2005-01-3944
Old 01-26-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
I agree with Yachtmaster. I hate to say it, but I seriously doubt that you will get a car bought back for a brake noise. I am not an attorney, but by my interpretation, I think that MB would would call any low mileage car with worn rear tires an abused car. How do you drive the car?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nick 55
I agree with Yachtmaster. I hate to say it, but I seriously doubt that you will get a car bought back for a brake noise. I am not an attorney, but by my interpretation, I think that MB would would call any low mileage car with worn rear tires an abused car. How do you drive the car?
Im pretty sure they wont buy it back either,but I can't stand driving it anymore.
How do I drive the car?Disregard the writing in red at the bottom of my posts,it's never been over 65mph,I swear
Old 01-26-2008, 06:21 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
i have the brake squeal too, hopefully they can fix it at the dealer the first time around and not have to get the runaround. have you tried the spray that stops the brake squeal?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
As suggested above, find a really good independent shop and see what they can do. One of the problems that you are fighting is that the multi-pad Brembo calipers are especially prone to noise.

I hate to sound unsympathetic but my E55 suffers from brake squeal, as have all my other AMG cars, M cars, etc. High performance brakes make noise! My GT3 was the worst of all, stopping people for blocks around in their tracks as I squealed to a stop...it was awesome! Mechanical noises (as long as nothing is rattling or falling off) are what make all this cars fun and special. If you want quiet, buy an S Class or a 7 Series BMW but where's the fun in that?!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

Blacksport,I understand where your coming from but our 997 never made any brake screech&I drove that car like I stole it around the mountains where we live.I hammered my E55 for 10k miles and never had any noise like this.I also hammered our CLS55 and never had any ear splitting,piercing noise coming from the brakes like the 63 does.The dealer said they acknowledge the problem as several AMG 63's have come in for it;they just don't know how to cure it&said AMG has a legitimate problem on their hands.

Other members have had this problem&they had it rectified at the dealer,thats why I'm so frustrated.I know it can be fixed,I just want it fixed already
Old 01-26-2008, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Oldgixxer, are you sure the dealer have ordered the revised pads and didn't just order new pads like the ones you already had when they attempted to replaced them? Many members here had the aweful break squeal problem, but got it solved as soon as they installed the new pads

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-27-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:07 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
I know 55 brakers are different but they also can suffer from this problem, and i have suffered from it personly.

from wha i have found this is how it happens to me
Car is washed, wheels are blasted
dusty weather and **** getting in there
Hard breaking helps fix it
usage and giving them long enough to wear/compound break through after many miles also seems to have done the trick

Also dealer have given me a spray that helped, but now i have no issues, and like i said only real difference is wear
Old 01-27-2008, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Your car is faster than $6000 of modifications will ever give you.

Follow the previous advise or buy aftermarket stuff.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by oldgixxer
Blacksport,I understand where your coming from but our 997 never made any brake screech&I drove that car like I stole it around the mountains where we live.I hammered my E55 for 10k miles and never had any noise like this.I also hammered our CLS55 and never had any ear splitting,piercing noise coming from the brakes like the 63 does.The dealer said they acknowledge the problem as several AMG 63's have come in for it;they just don't know how to cure it&said AMG has a legitimate problem on their hands.

Other members have had this problem&they had it rectified at the dealer,thats why I'm so frustrated.I know it can be fixed,I just want it fixed already
Well, not quite sure what to say other than you got lucky with the CLS55 and that the 997 unless it is a GT3 or GT2, tends to have quiet brakes as they use different pad compounds and calipers.

Maybe some aftermarket pads would help but they usually make more noise.

WIth any luck they didn't put the update pad in there and just replaced it with the original. The update pad is probably a softer downrated compound to help prevent the squealing.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Part numbers and more,
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/204037-e63-brake-squeal.html
Old 01-30-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Oldgixxer, make sure the dealer is installing the new revised pads. My car has about 10,000 miles now and I haven't had any squeals. However, throughout the last week or so, I started getting very low squeal when I'm braking slowly. My brake squeal completely goes away when I brake hard a couple of times though.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:34 PM

2007 Escalade EXT, Stealth TT 600 AWHP
Go Brembo. Ive never had problems with squeal on any of their stuff.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
Go Brembo. Ive never had problems with squeal on any of their stuff.
Thought brembo was the OEM for the 63 brakes.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Sounds like you wore out your luck with the 997- my P-car brakes squealed like a "blizatch."

Now, I'll get the occasional squeak from my Ms, but a friend had the same and the problem does go away once the brakes have bedded down.

I've never found hard braking to help. They told me that with the 996TT. I had the fu****s glowing red and what do you know, next stop light I sounded like a LAUSD bus.

Unless you always slam on the brakes in a 996/997, they will squeak.

Good luck gixxer and hang in there, the E63 is a great car.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:22 AM

E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
Im in the same loop my car has the updated parts from its build state and they wont change anything. I have been meaning to stop at the dealer and let the shop foreman come on a drive its just insane, ever stop wakes up traffic

oldgixxer chk PM
Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
It is real discouraging that they cannot fix the problem. I brought my car in with roughly 6,000 miles and they changed all brake pads to the updated version and the front rotors. I have not heard a single squeel since and I just hit 10,200 miles. I don't understand why yours are still making noise. Do you have the service invoice and the updated part numbers. I will compare them to mine. If they got my car to stop how can they not gets yours to.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 PM

'08 E63, '08 ML350
Damn, this past week my brakes started squeaking. They had been quiet since I picked up my car, but now the noise consistently appears.

I'm wondering if the brake TSB applies to my car? It's on '08 but a July '07 build. Guess I'll see what the dealer says. FWIW, I have a little over 1k miles on the car.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
no squeaking

here on my 030 brakes ... totally different but I just want to remind everyone that because of SLK55 complaints, about break squeal, they switch to crappy *** brakes for the 08s.

I don't see why you can't lemon law it. But honestly I'd get them to replace all the brakes entirely before doing so. Your engine seems to be a very strong performer.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
ask them to pay for a independent shop to fix????

My GT3 was the worst of all, stopping people for blocks around in their tracks as I squealed to a stop...it was awesome!

my 55 w/ pagids would screeeeeatch the last 2 feet of a stop.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 PM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Originally Posted by oldgixxer
Ok everyone,I'm at my wits end!The brakes have been squealing on my 63 since 500miles.It's been back to the dealer 4x.It has the updated springs/pads&they have replaced all 4 rotors.They cannot fix it.I have tried all the suggestions from you guys(thanks,I appreciate it!) the last time I posted this topic.I've cleaned the brake dust,went out&did the whole stopping from 60,80,100mph thing a dozen times&to no avail.

I just spoke to my S/A and she says the shop foreman will have to call MB on monday&open up a technical case against my vehicle.I'm assuming this will accomplish nothing.

The dealer has been very accommodating thus far;even though they tried to give me the "well the E63 comes equipped w hi performance brakes,and thats what hi performance brakes do,they squeal" after the fourth visit. BS!

Is it possible that I could Lemon Law this car due to the unfixable(so far) problem?The car drives/handles/stops wonderfully otherwise.I'm not sure if the Lemon Law only applies to mechanical failure that will leave you unable to operate said vehicle?I'm so pissed off right now I don't feel like searching Lemon Laws in New York.If I were to sell the car tomorrow the brake squeal would/could be a deal breaker.I wouldn't buy a car that had it,so I own a "broken" car

Guys/gals;what would you do if this was YOUR car??I'm open to any reasonable suggestions

Enzom,any quick legal advice??
Gixxer: I too have an E63, mine does squeal some, but not as much as your's! I have another issue and mine is related to an off idle hesitation, BUT that's another story which I will post shortly. I work in the brake industry, not cars, but trucking, and essentitally both the same when it comes down to niose. In order to create noise, there has to be some form of vibration, either in the pad, rotor, calipers, or pad backing plate. Sometimes when they bond or rivit a pad to a plate, there is sometimes a sort of mismatch. New technology has the backing plate with "teeth" and the pad material is actually formed on the plate and cured with the plate, but thats another story also. I would look at several items, first, the pads...make sure that the back plate is flat and coated with a thick sticky agent that does two things, first is couples the brake pad to the piston better, and the viscosity of the fluid also dampens the vibration. Second, cracks in the pad itself...while not harmful to stopping, it does create noise or chatter when the brakes are applied, and third is scoring on the rotors...which can cause the pad to chatter or make a noise when applied. i also whould check to see if the pads are chamfered, which means the leading edges are rounded off with sand paper, this sometimes prevents hairline cracks from appearing in the middle of the ends of the pads. Instead of the fluid on the back of the pads, sometimes they use a heat resistant shim...there are solutions to brake noise..but sometimes it's easier to say "all high performance cars do that". Then if enerything is ok...sometimes you have to look at the brake dust and because it is an abrasive...it will and can score rotors, and can cause cracks in the pads. Hope this helps somewhat..........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: advice/help/suggestions on E63 brakes