Sponsored by:

Any update on cams?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Where are all the rest of the dynos from these cars that have cams? Is there a reason why noone else is posting numbers?
My dog ate my dyno. LOL j/k

I'd post mine that was taken in CO. Just gotta find the stupid file...
Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by JamE55
My dog ate my dyno. LOL j/k

I'd post mine that was taken in CO. Just gotta find the stupid file...
Lol.

You have VRP cams too? I wanna see the VRP pre/post cam dynos.

Btw, powerchip is who VRP uses, thats why it took them so long to crack his ECU because they hadnt done one before, the ecu has been "cracked" a while ago, and custom tunes are available from other tuners not just off the shelf tunes.....
Old 06-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Out Of Control!

^^ Not VRP but K cams. Was thinking of going with the VRP ones with the more aggressive lifts/durations but thought of how it was going to sync in with the rest of my other K mods and decided to just stay with what i have.

I figured if i get the VRP cams i'd have to retune the whole thing which might further complicate the current tune i have. I'm pretty happy with how my car runs right now.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Now I know you are friends with Victor and Vadim, but to blindly support something is not very intelligent. Look at your own personal car for example. 112 traps??? I would be PISSEDDDDD if that was my MODDED E55 that I paid for 30 hours of tuning on top of the price of the mods..
Dude, slow down. WTF is it with you 4? Mellow out and read my post. I never claimed crap about VRP's cams and am not planning on getting them until I see numbers. That is what I posted. I am in no way saying these cams do or don't help, and in all honesty I don't know much about these specific cams anyway. All I know is that I haven't seen the results I want to see to make me commit. It was no different with the ECU tunes before. I was one of the last to get one, but when I did it was the one I wanted.

Just to clear up my ties with VRP / Powerchip. I'll air all my laundry and can we just go back to being rival enthusiasts?

Victor and I have emailed back and forth maybe 25 - 50 times MAX over the 5 years I have been here. I met him once for a few hours when he flew out to California. We have had two emails back and forth all of this year and that was over paypal. Everyone knows the story of the transformation of my car including the development and associated downtimes. I bought a good portion of my parts through the initial Group Buys and paid the same price as anyone else. The newer stuff I have gotten a SLIGHT discount on, plus they have been the most wearing on my car (lots of test fits). Why have i put up with it? Because it is the cutting edge thinking that I want sourcing for my car.

Vadim and I became non-internet friends when he worked at MBLN. Honestly, the best thing about him is that he doesn't like to sell!! Anyhow, he was always respectful and accomodating to me and anyone I sent there, so we began to chat. he was very helpful to me all along the way before i even knew of his involvement with Victor and yes, I gained a trust in him. Because he is so close, I was up at the shop all the time and I can tell you that although I paid, the crew (George) put in the time and Vadim is a true perfectionist.

My tune would have never been possible without the involvement of Victor, Vadim, and Powerchip. When the concept was agreed on, I knew it would take a long time AND that my car was at risk. I took that chance, because it was an opportunity to show all the tuners that the TQ limiter was a real thing that had to be dealth with, along with the boost control. Also, I figured it was a way to get a custom tune that many of my fellow enthusiasts would also enjoy. It took much more than 30 hours and I am pretty sure that there must have been some miss-assumptions on the time it would take since I got charged about what a LET tune runs and of course the car was down for 2 months. Vadim really finetuned it nicely. It took time, but I was very happy with the results.

Now, i understand you are having some huff over specs or support in general, but don't throw that crap my way. I don't represent them and they don't sponsor me. I've always been straight up here and I am usually the one playing devil's advocate. Again, read my post, I haven't seen enough data out of the cams. There are at least 10 people on this board that I have recommended to wait for data BEFORE they jump in.

The only reason i posted in this thread was to try to help. Again, if you read my post, I was trying to help get you easier ways to get tunes, even with Kleeman. All you need is the setup in your city and the rest is emailed. Someday, you will want to have that capability, even if it isn't now.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
The optimism with these cams started with the first thread showing the dyno of Albert's car. 30rwhp for $3,000.00 sounded like a reasonable deal but it is sounding more and more like these are not a "drop-in" mod. I know Vic has said that a number of guys are running them with Kleemann tunes but I would love to see some dynos or track numbers.

Dyno was done a long time ago... Back in October when Albert had the first set put in his car.

Below is the dyno chart... Green is stock pull.. Blue is VRP Cams.. No other changes to the car. Notice the major shift in mid-range between 3,500 and 5,000RPM.. There is 40rwtq difference and 30rwhp.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Sorry jangy, I'm a little heated about this cam issue and probably came off the wrong way. I appreciate your insight and comments.

Rock- I have a Kleemann tune but obviously not for an E55. I would really liek to see other cars dyno numbers for pre/post VRP cams. Maybe it's just my car that didn't make much/any power. Alberts car made great power and I would have been very happy had mine made similar gains.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by jangy
...I took that chance, because it was an opportunity to show all the tuners that the TQ limiter was a real thing that had to be dealth with...
WOW! i still remember you being one of the most stubborn and outspoken non-believers of this when those of us that KNEW the real deal were about at our wits end. it's just weird (borderline insulting) to hear you talk about this like it was your crusade when a few of us were working to get this done years ago.

Last edited by chiromikey; 06-23-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I would really liek to see other cars dyno numbers for pre/post VRP cams.
Someone needs to contact Chris at C2 in tampa. Think he has done a couple of these and he is a dyno mad man.

Wondering what his gains showed?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
To think that any tuner is going to put the resources into developing a tune for each mod combination, especially ones that are not even their parts, before they have it sold is just wishful thinking.
Jangy I respectfully dissagree with you.

ActiveAutowerkes and Turnermotorsports have SW for the Schrick ,Kelleners,and Sunbelt cams(s50,s52 motor 2.5,3.0,3.2L) for BMW's in combination with their own parts so I'm not understanding your point honestly. Don't you think they've spent hrs if not days to develop SW for BMW's?

Vishnu and others have developed SW for the BMW E90,E92 335i so even though we have MB's, I think it would be a great thing for VRP to take on since they have been aggressively building and marketing projects for our MB's.
I just want to mention that Active autowerks has SW for Schrick,Kelleners, and Sunbelt cams which have made pwr in the BMW applications(E90 335i,E63 M6,E60 M5,E36 M3,E39 M5) with proper supporting mods.
I'd let VRP speak for themselves.

Interesting how you say VRP should do what the "others" do and yet we see very little gains (if any) with the "other" tuners' cams. Generic flashes are a great marketing idea, but will never replace the actual tune.
We know nothing can replace actual in house dyno tuning,but not everyone can ship their car all around the country like others can to get their cars dyno tuned. Seems like Kleemann,Powerchips, Renntech have done pretty well if you ask me with their mail in tunes.

By the way did'nt VRP recently tune and make pretty good #'s dynoing a customers E55k with Kleeman cams once they learned how to break the codes?

Like I said bro ,just let Vadim and Victor speak for them selves. This is in noway meant to bash them here.

PS Remember ,Sleeper X's E55 ran low 11's with Renntech mail in SW and other supporting mods. Mail in SW has been good for most applications and it works so I would not look at it as just a great marketing idea.
I think it helps if one has a choice as to whether they want to dyno tune their car or just get off the self SW that's been developed.

If VRP is making the cams available to the public I think it would be a good idea if not practical to have a generic tune for these camshafts.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now I know you are friends with Victor and Vadim, but to blindly support something is not very intelligent. Look at your own personal car for example. 112 traps??? I would be PISSEDDDDD if that was my MODDED E55 that I paid for 30 hours of tuning on top of the price of the mods..
OUCH!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dude, slow down. WTF is it with you 4? Mellow out and read my post. I never claimed crap about VRP's cams and am not planning on getting them until I see numbers. That is what I posted. I am in no way saying these cams do or don't help, and in all honesty I don't know much about these specific cams anyway. All I know is that I haven't seen the results I want to see to make me commit. It was no different with the ECU tunes before. I was one of the last to get one, but when I did it was the one I wanted.

Just to clear up my ties with VRP / Powerchip. I'll air all my laundry and can we just go back to being rival enthusiasts?

Victor and I have emailed back and forth maybe 25 - 50 times MAX over the 5 years I have been here. I met him once for a few hours when he flew out to California. We have had two emails back and forth all of this year and that was over paypal. Everyone knows the story of the transformation of my car including the development and associated downtimes. I bought a good portion of my parts through the initial Group Buys and paid the same price as anyone else. The newer stuff I have gotten a SLIGHT discount on, plus they have been the most wearing on my car (lots of test fits). Why have i put up with it? Because it is the cutting edge thinking that I want sourcing for my car.

Vadim and I became non-internet friends when he worked at MBLN. Honestly, the best thing about him is that he doesn't like to sell!! Anyhow, he was always respectful and accomodating to me and anyone I sent there, so we began to chat. he was very helpful to me all along the way before i even knew of his involvement with Victor and yes, I gained a trust in him. Because he is so close, I was up at the shop all the time and I can tell you that although I paid, the crew (George) put in the time and Vadim is a true perfectionist.

My tune would have never been possible without the involvement of Victor, Vadim, and Powerchip. When the concept was agreed on, I knew it would take a long time AND that my car was at risk. I took that chance, because it was an opportunity to show all the tuners that the TQ limiter was a real thing that had to be dealth with, along with the boost control. Also, I figured it was a way to get a custom tune that many of my fellow enthusiasts would also enjoy. It took much more than 30 hours and I am pretty sure that there must have been some miss-assumptions on the time it would take since I got charged about what a LET tune runs and of course the car was down for 2 months. Vadim really finetuned it nicely. It took time, but I was very happy with the results.

Now, i understand you are having some huff over specs or support in general, but don't throw that crap my way. I don't represent them and they don't sponsor me. I've always been straight up here and I am usually the one playing devil's advocate. Again, read my post, I haven't seen enough data out of the cams. There are at least 10 people on this board that I have recommended to wait for data BEFORE they jump in.

The only reason i posted in this thread was to try to help. Again, if you read my post, I was trying to help get you easier ways to get tunes, even with Kleeman. All you need is the setup in your city and the rest is emailed. Someday, you will want to have that capability, even if it isn't now.
Jangy I think it would be helpful to Ahmad and others who have purchased or want to purchase the cams, to hear from VRP themselves.
You make yourself appear to be a spokesman for their business even though that may not be your intent.

If I paid "X" amt of $'s like Ahmad did with meager results only to find out I need to spend 1000's more I'd be irritated as well.

I believe these cams are the real deal with good SW or a propertune which if ideally can be generically made and sold if possible.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 06-23-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Ok, gents lets settle down here.

Ahmad, the software on your W208 CLK55 is nowhere close to what it is on Kompressor cars.

It is MAF vs. Speed Density.

It is Lotus 1.0 vs. Excel.

Your car has a MAF clamp that once exceeded goes into map parameters that is only known to the whoever wrote your software.

You need to data log your A/F and other parameters and we can start from there.

Cams change a lot of air flow dynamics and on MAF cars can create a lot of strange reversion and harmonic air flow waves that will confuse sensors.

Knowing cams specs will not get it done.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
Ok, gents lets settle down here.

Ahmad, the software on your W208 CLK55 is nowhere close to what it is on Kompressor cars.

It is MAF vs. Speed Density.

It is Lotus 1.0 vs. Excel.

Your car has a MAF clamp that once exceeded goes into map parameters that is only known to the whoever wrote your software.

You need to data log your A/F and other parameters and we can start from there.

Cams change a lot of air flow dynamics and on MAF cars can create a lot of strange reversion and harmonic air flow waves that will confuse sensors.

Knowing cams specs will not get it done.
Use AMGSC's car as a guinnea pig! I'm sure he'd be willing!

Ask HPS! j/k

No in all seriousness AMGSC's car would be a great template for a SW build for Ahmad's car no?

If anything the N/A cars should be the easiest to do so don't forget us as well..

PS since Kleemann does the SW or orders the SW for the N/A 5.5L S/C Kleemann kits and you guys are wrking with Cory, can't you guys wrk with them on developing SW for the cams?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 06-23-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
I ordered the LET E55K cams......when they're in, a full custom-tune (on the dyno) is scheduled.

Blackbenzz - I would give them a call.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Sorry jangy, I'm a little heated about this cam issue and probably came off the wrong way. I appreciate your insight and comments.
I understand and wish you the best either way.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Jangy I think it would be helpful to Ahmad and others who have purchased or want to purchase the cams, to hear from VRP themselves.
You make yourself appear to be a spokesman for their business even though that may not be your intent.

If I paid "X" amt of $'s like Ahmad did with meager results only to find out I need to spend 1000's more I'd be irritated as well.

I believe these cams are the real deal with good SW or a propertune which if ideally can be generically made and sold if possible.
It isn't my intent and didn't realize i spoke for anyone but myself. Also, I have no issue with the mailed tunes. In fact, if you bother reading my post I recommended it to Ahmad. What I don't think works so well is the cookie cutter generic files. His car just isn't anything like an E55 so the SW is not yet written. What is so hard to understand about that?
Old 06-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
No in all seriousness AMGSC's car would be a great template for a SW build for Ahmad's car no?

If anything the N/A cars should be the easiest to do so don't forget us as well..

PS since Kleemann does the SW or orders the SW for the N/A 5.5L S/C Kleemann kits and you guys are wrking with Cory, can't you guys wrk with them on developing SW for the cams?
I do not like mixing and matching parts. My philosophy is to build Power Stages, one based upon the other with matching software.

Kleemann has the same philosophy and I do not see them willing to spend time on some one elses combination, especially if they are very likely not to see it again.

Expecting me to have tunes available for every possible configuration is simply not realistic.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by chiromikey
WOW! i still remember you being one of the most stubborn and outspoken non-believers of this when those of us that KNEW the real deal were about at our wits end. it's just weird (borderline insulting) to hear you talk about this like it was your crusade when a few of us were working to get this done years ago.

Let me clarify, because we did go different paths. I did pick on you guys back then and I still do not like the practice of using an older MB flash as a base for a tune even when a new flash is out. Especially one as big as the dreaded flash. I agree that you and a number of others were all torn up over it. That was more the secondary pump than the TQ limiter. The older models were the ones having some issues with major power loss. The new ones (mine included) did not. NOBODY, including any of the tuners claimed to know about or have a code figured for the 2006 E55 Built in 2006. I still do not believe that anyone other than powerchip does. If that has changed for the other tuners, then none of you has posted it. Had I known that Kleeman had a tune that openned my top end, then I would have tried it.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
data logging

Seriously ... not to speak up for VRP or anything but cant you just data log and send that info to VRP for a tune?

Obviously this will take more time and I would expect your ecu to be shipped several times but I don't see why they can't do a custom tune for you.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
I do not like mixing and matching parts. My philosophy is to build Power Stages, one based upon the other with matching software.

Kleemann has the same philosophy and I do not see them willing to spend time on some one elses combination, especially if they are very likely not to see it again.

Expecting me to have tunes available for every possible configuration is simply not realistic.
Vadim I don't wanna sound like a whinning ninny and I'm sorry if I am but have'nt you developed your own parts?

Who is telling you that you have to use other folks parts?
Here, I'll tell you something you know already,
Activeautowerks just like you and Kleemann,engineer their own parts and their own SW. So they do share the same philosophy and they have pwr stges as well. You know that! They also do custom tuning as an option.

They ,just like you guys, use cams that were engineered and built by other folks(Schrick). Funny thing is that it did not seem unrealistic to them to build SW for the Schrick cams with their own engineered supporting mods, and market it out to folks.

On another note they have built superchared 3 series BMW's and have designed SW for these cars to make the kits user friendly. As they have done recently for the new BMW 335i.(their own intercooler,exh,CAI all built by active,SW included)

If you want to market a product with great success it will only serve to make it a little user friendly. In the case of the cams SW would help.

Just as you were creative with the packages for the Kompressor cars would it be that difficult to come up with the same sort of thing for customers with N/A 5.5L car or folks like Ahmad who have gone F/I? Of couse you could.

OK ,we buy the cams,car runs like crap,now I gotta find someone that can tune it for a couple of more thousand $$'s. God knows how long that part would take me.

Bottomline is,not everyone who purchases these cams for their cars,which you all have claimed can work in all of the M113 motored cars, can realistically find a local tuner that can get into the MB codes and tune their cars.
I'd like to get these cams because I know they are the real deal. Fortunately I have someone that knows how to tune my car. Not everyone is as fortunate.

Vadim, no offense respectfully to you it is only a suggestion. That is all.

here ya go:
1.N/A 5.5L motor:VRP cam,VRP SW,VRP exh,airfilters.
2.F/I 5.5L motor :same as above
3.Kleemann F/I 5.5L motor: same as above

Last edited by ProjectC55; 06-23-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
I remember you and TEd being one of the most outspoken people concerning the flash and at the time whe had a lot of non believers. That is why thanks to you guys I did not let my dealer flash my ecu during the recall process. Taking someone to lunch is all it took.

As far as the cams go, the power is in the timing maps Ahmad needs to compare his timing pre and post cams to determine what's going on. The upper rpm richness is probably a product of ecu correction.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It isn't my intent and didn't realize i spoke for anyone but myself. Also, I have no issue with the mailed tunes. In fact, if you bother reading my post I recommended it to Ahmad. What I don't think works so well is the cookie cutter generic files. His car just isn't anything like an E55 so the SW is not yet written. What is so hard to understand about that?
What the hell are cookie cutter generic files?
Maybe I need simplify what I'm trying to say to you.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Vadim, no offense respectfully to you it is only a suggestion. That is all.
No offense taken.

Lets look back in history, Victor had these cams designed for 55 Kompressor engine more than a year ago. I was still selling MBs at that time.

Now, going forward. Can I make a tune for this car?

Yes!

What I need to do it, I have already posted. We need to start with data.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rflow306
As far as the cams go, the power is in the timing maps Ahmad needs to compare his timing pre and post cams to determine what's going on. The upper rpm richness is probably a product of ecu correction.
Something VRP could do surely if they had AMGSC C55k and then marketed the SW..

Could wrk great on the N/A car as well.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Something VRP could do surely if they had AMGSC C55k and then marketed the SW..

Could wrk great on the N/A car as well.
Problem is I have the Kleemann S8 cams which are not as agressive as VRP's. However, Ahmad's car is very close to mine in terms of mods so my custom ECU program should'nt be that far apart from what he needs to maximize the power of those cams.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any update on cams?