Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 e55
Police raid so-cal car gtg

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/23/2302.asp

California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue
Police raid Riverside, California parking lot to issue modified car tickets at local car enthusiast gathering.

Using state and federal gas tax money to pay for overtime, nine police agencies in Riverside, California sent more than one hundred police officers to surround a gathering of automotive enthusiasts. Owners of imported sport compact cars had gathered at the Canyon Crossing shopping center on Friday night to swap stories, talk about their passion for cars and show off the latest enhancements to their rides. At around 11pm police surprised participants by blocking all exits with fifty police cruisers. Officers then began a warrantless search and interrogation operation of the 150 vehicles that were present.

"If you're not into street racing, why would you need that?" Riverside Police Traffic Sergeant Skip Showalter asked an enthusiast during a similar crackdown last year. "Why would you want more power going to your car?"

Police issued a total of forty-eight tickets for "engine modifications" with police accusing the owners of the parked vehicles of being street racers. Another fifty tickets were issued for paperwork violations, dark window tinting and lack of a front license plate. The most revenue, however, will be generated from the fees imposed on twenty vehicles that were confiscated. Despite labeling the parking lot raid as taking place at a "street racing venue," Riverside Police offered no evidence that any street racing actually took place.

Across the state, gas tax funds are regularly used to fund similar crackdowns that generate big revenue. In 2004, the California Highway Patrol issued a total of 101,553 "modified car" citations worth $10.5 million according to CHP data obtained by TheNewspaper.

Other law enforcement agencies participating in Friday night's raid included the California Highway Patrol, Riverside County Sheriff's Department, and police from Baldwin Park, Fontana, Irwindale, Moreno Valley, Ontario and Mount San Jacinto Community College

Last edited by neveo; 04-02-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: title wrong
Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Thats some jacked up sh.t ...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
Originally Posted by neveo
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/23/2302.asp

California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue
Police raid Riverside, California parking lot to issue modified car tickets at local car enthusiast gathering.

Using state and federal gas tax money to pay for overtime, nine police agencies in Riverside, California sent more than one hundred police officers to surround a gathering of automotive enthusiasts. Owners of imported sport compact cars had gathered at the Canyon Crossing shopping center on Friday night to swap stories, talk about their passion for cars and show off the latest enhancements to their rides. At around 11pm police surprised participants by blocking all exits with fifty police cruisers. Officers then began a warrantless search and interrogation operation of the 150 vehicles that were present.

"If you're not into street racing, why would you need that?" Riverside Police Traffic Sergeant Skip Showalter asked an enthusiast during a similar crackdown last year. "Why would you want more power going to your car?"

Police issued a total of forty-eight tickets for "engine modifications" with police accusing the owners of the parked vehicles of being street racers. Another fifty tickets were issued for paperwork violations, dark window tinting and lack of a front license plate. The most revenue, however, will be generated from the fees imposed on twenty vehicles that were confiscated. Despite labeling the parking lot raid as taking place at a "street racing venue," Riverside Police offered no evidence that any street racing actually took place.

Across the state, gas tax funds are regularly used to fund similar crackdowns that generate big revenue. In 2004, the California Highway Patrol issued a total of 101,553 "modified car" citations worth $10.5 million according to CHP data obtained by TheNewspaper.

Other law enforcement agencies participating in Friday night's raid included the California Highway Patrol, Riverside County Sheriff's Department, and police from Baldwin Park, Fontana, Irwindale, Moreno Valley, Ontario and Mount San Jacinto Community College
CA is the new **** regime. Why anyone (except for warm weather) would want to live there is beyond me? **** gov't and cops, horrible pollution, insane real estate costs, terrible traffic in the larger cities. I just don't get it.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
How can they possibly get away with that? You are accused of doing an activity that you aren't doing but possibly could? Why not throw murder in there since you have knives, etc. at home. I would make it my personal crusade to battle that **** regime.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I hope every single one of those people goes to court and clogs their legal system for a month. Any lawyers here want to represent their case? Could be good publicity.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:29 PM

05 e55
anyone know what would allow them to confiscate parked cars unless there are outstanding tickets or no current registration... they can do this with engine mods? maybe no CARB stickers?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Pigs...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

anyone know what would allow them to confiscate parked cars unless there are outstanding tickets or no current registration... they can do this with engine mods? maybe no CARB stickers?
hit the nail on the head, stupid CARB stickers.

If a cop asked my why I needed more power out of my car I'd say it was to go tracking/dragging LEGALLY and tell him to shove it. Those events are not illegal.

Last edited by Cylinder Head; 04-02-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Will people never learn that you DO NOT HAVE TO CONSENT TO A SEARCH???

Jesus f'in christ. You know how many times I've been asked "you mind if we take a look in the vehicle", and have told them not till hell freezes over. They always pull the "well if you have nothing to hide..." crap, and I told one of them to save the guilt trips for his kids.

The other thing is, if you are detained and have already refused the search, then give them 20 minutes or so and then tell them either arrest you, write you a ticket, or you are leaving. If they refuse, call 911 on your cell phone and say "I've been here for 45 minutes, they won't tell me whether I did anything wrong, and I am leaving now". You can subpoena that later.

There is a truckload of caselaw that says it is unreasonable to detain you longer than necessary to write you a ticket and go on your way. So if they're trying to stall you to wait for the drug dog or whatever, you don't have to sit there ad infinitum...

As all this relates to the strip-mall car show, the cops should have never been under the hood of a car there in the first place. Each and every one of those guys with tickets would get out of it scot-free, unless they consented to the search...

People ought to have to take a mandatory class on knowing their rights.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
The owners probably consented to a search and then they found an NOX bottle or something...people are their own worst enemies when dealing with the police.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by CWW

No kidding!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CWW

Jesus f'in christ. You know how many times I've been asked "you mind if we take a look in the vehicle", and have told them not till hell freezes over. They always pull the "well if you have nothing to hide..." crap, and I told one of them to save the guilt trips for his kids.

The other thing is, if you are detained and have already refused the search, then give them 20 minutes or so and then tell them either arrest you, write you a ticket, or you are leaving. If they refuse, call 911 on your cell phone and say "I've been here for 45 minutes, they won't tell me whether I did anything wrong, and I am leaving now". You can subpoena that later.

There is a truckload of caselaw that says it is unreasonable to detain you longer than necessary to write you a ticket and go on your way. So if they're trying to stall you to wait for the drug dog or whatever, you don't have to sit there ad infinitum...

As all this relates to the strip-mall car show, the cops should have never been under the hood of a car there in the first place. Each and every one of those guys with tickets would get out of it scot-free, unless they consented to the search...

Wow man someone should sticky that. Good knowledge to drop on the peeps. You should start a thread called, "Know your rights", we can have Vic sticky it.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Later the police tattooed identification numbers on the forearms of each person and loaded them onto boxcars for what the police called "processing".
Reports about gatherers being paraded around in front of drunken officers while being mocked and scientific experiments being performed on gatherers were categorically denied by authorities.
Oddly, every attendee we have contacted has not returned calls for comment.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Angry

Originally Posted by CWW
The owners probably consented to a search and then they found an NOX bottle or something...people are their own worst enemies when dealing with the police.
Unless it is against the law for having a NOX bottle in your car, who gives a rat's ***? The law has to prove you did something wrong. Being parked in a parking lot with a car with modifications is not against the law, unless said modificatons makes your car illegal as far as emissions. Being charged with something you may do is far and away against your constitutional rights and I would shove that right up the State's ***.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
www.lapdonline.org/all_most_wanted

^ Because those violent criminals have already been apprehended, local law enforcement officials had no alternative but to crack down on the area’s rampant automotive hooliganism. It's the only crime left to be dealt with.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
WOW....that's bad...though I've been in the middle of a few of those street racing busts and I always run...I really have no fear of getting my car impounded! CA sucks! Any cars with exhaust mods are illegal...so probably most of those modded cars are gonna have to go back to stock or something.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
This is just sad.... these people were not street racing or doing anything illegal. They gathered in a parking lot for friendly talks and car enthusiast discussions, then they all end up getting tickets, and some have their cars taken away

I hope they all fight those tickets and win
Old 04-02-2008, 03:03 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Unless it is against the law for having a NOX bottle in your car, who gives a rat's ***? The law has to prove you did something wrong. Being parked in a parking lot with a car with modifications is not against the law, unless said modificatons makes your car illegal as far as emissions. Being charged with something you may do is far and away against your constitutional rights and I would shove that right up the State's ***.
Ya, the cops out there have turned into real *****. I mean, cops are usually always a-holes anyway, but cali takes the cake...

I watched this documentary on tv about street racing in CA, and there was this scene where the cops were all having a catered party at a junkyard while they watched like 200 cars they had seized for racing go through the crusher. They even invited the car owners, and some of them were interviewed on camera. Now THAT is some ownage...

Anyway, as to your question, I am assuming their legal theory is that NOX or all the other mods = equipment for street racing. That thinking has been around since the dawn of time, and does hold up in court. It's the same thing as it being perfectly legal to own a crowbar, right? But if you are out at 2am with one, then it is admissible evidence of intent to commit burglary...

I still think that won't go anywhere in this situation, though. It was clearly just a car meet. Can't do much racing with five HUNDRED people sitting in a parking lot. Cops are just out of control.

Last edited by CWW; 04-02-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Wow.. I cant believe what is happening... I am starting to really fear what our society will be like in another 2 or 3 yrs...

You get tickets for exhibition of speed at the discretion of the officer for doing ANYTHING in a moving vehicle.

You can have your car impounded on the spot for 50km/h over the limit and your license pulled and thrown in jail for 3yrs.

You can get raided and ticketed while your car is stationery and you are in a group of people just TALKING.

What is next???? Really scarey stuff!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:26 PM

05 e55
sedate everyone with TV...

destroy our education system .....

take away rights to bear arms.....

i hear you..
Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 PM

05E55
Good opportunity for an attorney to do some pro bono work and tie up the DA for awhile costing the city a few thousand $$. They might think twice next time.

Complete BS.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
That is f***ed up!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:12 PM

E500,CLK500K, E55
Originally Posted by CWW

x2! here is a video i found a while ago that taught some good information

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA
Old 04-02-2008, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by CWW
Ya, the cops out there have turned into real *****. I mean, cops are usually always a-holes anyway, but cali takes the cake...

I watched this documentary on tv about street racing in CA, and there was this scene where the cops were all having a catered party at a junkyard while they watched like 200 cars they had seized for racing go through the crusher. They even invited the car owners, and some of them were interviewed on camera. Now THAT is some ownage...

Anyway, as to your question, I am assuming their legal theory is that NOX or all the other mods = equipment for street racing. That thinking has been around since the dawn of time, and does hold up in court. It's the same thing as it being perfectly legal to own a crowbar, right? But if you are out at 2am with one, then it is admissible evidence of intent to commit burglary...

I still think that won't go anywhere in this situation, though. It was clearly just a car meet. Can't do much racing with five HUNDRED people sitting in a parking lot. Cops are just out of control.
Sorry CWW, I respectfully disagree. They have to catch you in the act of doing something illegal, not make assumptions about your future actions. Of course, if you are referring to the officers at the scene, my argument would remain the same, methinks. I do agree that it wouldn't go anywhere in this situation. All these guys should ban together and go for some litigious activity against the arresting entities.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:18 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Ya, here you guys go...this is Cali's new initiative I was telling you about...

If they think you're street racing, they seize your car and have it crushed.

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnmjVKlCHB0

And here's a news article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19339955/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Police raid so-cal car gtg