Sponsored by:

Is this a good price?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 VW GTI
Is this a good price?

Hey folks. I'm new to the forum and don't know a whole lot about the E55 AMG cars, so I'd like your input on an E55 AMG that my wife and I came across last night.

It is a 2006 Capri Blue/Black interior E55 AMG. Pretty loaded from what I can tell (Parking sensors, panoramic roof, Nav, power seats, etc.). Asking $52,994 with 27K miles on it. Is that a good price? It's selling at a Volvo dealership. I tried $45K, hoping that he would at least entertain the idea, but the guy didn't seem to want to sell a car today.

So what do you guys think? Is it a good deal or should I wait until the price drops? I really like the Capri Blue though. I don't see too many Capri Blues for sale.

Please chime in. It'd be nice to have a car to go with my screen name

Pics for Clicks...

Last edited by KenE55AMG; 04-12-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KenE55AMG
Hey folks. I'm new to the forum and don't know a whole lot about the E55 AMG cars, so I'd like your input on an E55 AMG that my wife and I came across last night.

It is a 2006 Capri Blue/Black interior E55 AMG. Pretty loaded from what I can tell (Parking sensors, panoramic roof, Nav, power seats, etc.). Asking $52,994 with 27K miles on it. Is that a good price? It's selling at a Volvo dealership. I tried $45K, hoping that he would at least entertain the idea, but the guy didn't seem to want to sell a car today.

So what do you guys think? Is it a good deal or should I wait until the price drops? I really like the Capri Blue though. I don't see too many Capri Blues for sale.

Please chime in. It'd be nice to have a car to go with my screen name
Not a bad deal at all if you can bring it down to 50K flat.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
not bad at all, 2 years ago it was around 90 grand
Old 04-12-2008, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Does it have the P2 package, keyless go. etc.? Miles are a tad high and you will not be able to get a Mercedes Benz CPO warranty, however, all in all with the particular color you really can't go wrong. go for it, try to get it for $50K.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:29 PM

2003 VW GTI
Originally Posted by sack5000
Does it have the P2 package, keyless go. etc.? Miles are a tad high and you will not be able to get a Mercedes Benz CPO warranty, however, all in all with the particular color you really can't go wrong. go for it, try to get it for $50K.
Sorry...not sure what the P2 package is and I don't think it has Keyless go. Here's the description:

V8 5.5L Supercharged; Automatic; RWD; Stability Control; Premium Pkg; Air Conditioning; Power Steering; Power Windows; Power Door Locks; Telescoping Wheel; Cruise Control; AM/FM Stereo; Single Compact Disc; Harman Kardon Sound; Navigation System; Parking Sensors; Dual Front Air Bags; F&R Side Air Bags; ABS (4-Wheel); Traction Control; Leather; Dual Power Seats; Panorama Roof; Rear Spoiler; Premium Wheels

I did notice the "Push Start" button on top of the shifter and each door handle on the outside has the little square button on them. Do those two things tell me anything? And again...sorry...very NOOB to this car. Thanks for your comments.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
He will be able to get a CPO on it? Its under 50k miles..edit yes it's keyless go
Old 04-12-2008, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Sorry...not sure what the P2 package is and I don't think it has Keyless go. Here's the description:

V8 5.5L Supercharged; Automatic; RWD; Stability Control; Premium Pkg; Air Conditioning; Power Steering; Power Windows; Power Door Locks; Telescoping Wheel; Cruise Control; AM/FM Stereo; Single Compact Disc; Harman Kardon Sound; Navigation System; Parking Sensors; Dual Front Air Bags; F&R Side Air Bags; ABS (4-Wheel); Traction Control; Leather; Dual Power Seats; Panorama Roof; Rear Spoiler; Premium Wheels

I did notice the "Push Start" button on top of the shifter and each door handle on the outside has the little square button on them. Do those two things tell me anything? And again...sorry...very NOOB to this car. Thanks for your comments.
The push button start is keyless go. Sounds like it does have Premium II package. I would ask for the carfax from the Volvo dealer and check that. Check the in service date for the starting point of the four year warranty. Look over the car in detail. Look under the front bumper and see if there is any curb rash, if so you can beat them up on that. Check the wheels for curb rash or other damage. Look at the car very carefully to see if it has been hit and if there is any evidence of paint work. Take it on a test drive without the salesman and see how it runs and see how you like it. You could even wheel it into a body shop and ask the owner to look it over. Open the hood and look at the belts and hoses for any early wear. See how the brakes feel and see if the car is in alignment. Look closely at the tires and see how much tread is left. Basically, take the car for several hours and try to see if anything causes you concern. A local Mercedes Benz dealer will look it over for you, as well. They might even check the service history for you. I can tell you about a lot of posts from new E55 owners that immediately have issues with their cars after making a snap decision to buy. There are many cars on the market now so it might make sense to look around more. I guarantee you this car is awesome and scary fast.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:53 AM

2003 VW GTI
Originally Posted by Vader13
He will be able to get a CPO on it? Its under 50k miles..edit yes it's keyless go
It's a 2006 and under 50K miles, so it still has the manufacturer's original warranty. No CPO though since it is being sold at a Volvo dealership. But if I get it, I'll probably get an extended warranty.

Last edited by KenE55AMG; 04-13-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:22 AM

2003 VW GTI
The push button start is keyless go. Sounds like it does have Premium II package. I would ask for the carfax from the Volvo dealer and check that. Check the in service date for the starting point of the four year warranty. Look over the car in detail. Look under the front bumper and see if there is any curb rash, if so you can beat them up on that. Check the wheels for curb rash or other damage. Look at the car very carefully to see if it has been hit and if there is any evidence of paint work. Take it on a test drive without the salesman and see how it runs and see how you like it. You could even wheel it into a body shop and ask the owner to look it over. Open the hood and look at the belts and hoses for any early wear. See how the brakes feel and see if the car is in alignment. Look closely at the tires and see how much tread is left. Basically, take the car for several hours and try to see if anything causes you concern. A local Mercedes Benz dealer will look it over for you, as well. They might even check the service history for you. I can tell you about a lot of posts from new E55 owners that immediately have issues with their cars after making a snap decision to buy. There are many cars on the market now so it might make sense to look around more. I guarantee you this car is awesome and scary fast.
Thanks for all the advice. I will try to do as much of that as I can. I don't think I'll be able to take it out for that long though. The carfax summary for the car looks pretty decent. There was a brief summary online. Looks like 3 previous owners (all leases): 11 months, 5 months and 1 year. Looks like I'll be the 4th owner. And there is a Mercedes dealership down the street so I was definitely planning on taking it in for inspections.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Thanks for all the advice. I will try to do as much of that as I can. I don't think I'll be able to take it out for that long though. The carfax summary for the car looks pretty decent. There was a brief summary online. Looks like 3 previous owners (all leases): 11 months, 5 months and 1 year. Looks like I'll be the 4th owner. And there is a Mercedes dealership down the street so I was definitely planning on taking it in for inspections.
1. Take it in for inspection at MB. I did, and they caught a few things with my CLS and the R and they corrected them before I even bought the cars. Minor stuff, like grille had a little ding, % of brakes left, tires, etc.
2. Yes, it has keyless go, but....offer $50 or lower. Many E55's are being sold at that price with the same equipment and less miles.
3. Get a clear-bra.
4. I think an extended MB warranty would be a good addition. I am going for the 60K warranty on my CLS, gets me up to 105K miles of coverage.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 w211 E55
I think thats a really good deal! I just bought a 2004 E55 AMG fully loaded only 3 months ago with everything option that car has plus the keyless go and it has only 19,300 miles. The sticker was $49,999. I pushed them to bring it down to $47,500 and i paid a lil over $50,000 total with taxes. That's a 2006 with only 7,000 miles more then my 2004 E55. I say go for it!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 PM

2005 E55 / 2008 E63
Is this the car at Fremont Rover? Just bought an 05 with 21k for $52k at Walnut Creek MB. It all comes down to coverage (for me at least). I paid a bit more to push coverage to 36 months or 100k instead of the usual 12 months. A no brainer for me...and did not want to deal with 3rd party warranty. Nothing wrenches the gut more than taking a 55 to the dealer w/o warranty.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:55 AM

2003 VW GTI
Originally Posted by jdeastbay
Is this the car at Fremont Rover? Just bought an 05 with 21k for $52k at Walnut Creek MB. It all comes down to coverage (for me at least). I paid a bit more to push coverage to 36 months or 100k instead of the usual 12 months. A no brainer for me...and did not want to deal with 3rd party warranty. Nothing wrenches the gut more than taking a 55 to the dealer w/o warranty.
It still has the remaining warranty, but I was planning on getting an extended warranty. Thanks for the comments guys. I'll see what I can do.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
I usually am not a fan of blue but I love that color on the E55. The price is not bad at $53K. If they include a warrantee at $53K (or negotiate the price to around $50K and buy a warrantee from a M-B dealer - just call around and ask for prices) the car is a great deal.

You will not be disappointed! Welcome in advance to the club!

TK