W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frist Check Engine light with the AA ecu

Old 05-14-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Frist Check Engine light with the AA ecu

The code is P20A2-Idle speed control implausable. Check for unmetered air. Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Did you call them and made them aware of this issue. They should help.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:34 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
Did you call them and made them aware of this issue. They should help.
I had my buddy that has star just clear it out for now. If it comes back on ill have to talk to AA.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 PM

E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
you seem to have lots of issues on this AA tune you should just put it back to stock and get something elseware.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
It will blow the CEL again. You need to get the tune fixed. The STAR system only clears past faults, it doesn't change anything. What year car? Are you sure they have the secondary injector flash figured out? Some tuners are still using pre-MY '04 tunes and that will not work to the full hilt. There is simply no way in heck they would ever be able to keep up with all the OTHER changes as well.

Before you get pissd, GET THAT FILE and make sure you can go back to stock if you want to. If you lose that file, MB can't help.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Is that Active Autowerke? I knew they did some work on MB, but i didn't know they actually had software for Benzes.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would get your money back and try Renntech in your area.

ECU are needed but a pain in my opinion.

My car is at the dealer for another 2nd air pump relay failure. They will probably flash my car once more. Good thing I did not pull the trigger on the ECU Tune since I would had to return my ECU to a tuner or travel to my nearest Tuner.

Time and $$

I'm seriously considering taking off my ASP and running stock with just my HE, filters.

There is no secret that Code3 is working a smaller clutch pulley for our E55 which will create less boost that ASP and in par with other pullies in the market.

I rather have a small increase in HP and TQ across the rev band.. then having too much torque down low and loosing HP on top.

I have though of keeping my ASP with a smaller clutch pulley..(upper and lower pullies) but I will only imagine my need for Tuning will be multiplied and car will be running RICH all day long.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by TopGun32
I would get your money back and try Renntech in your area.

ECU are needed but a pain in my opinion.

My car is at the dealer for another 2nd air pump relay failure. They will probably flash my car once more. Good thing I did not pull the trigger on the ECU Tune since I would had to return my ECU to a tuner or travel to my nearest Tuner.

Time and $$

I'm seriously considering taking off my ASP and running stock with just my HE, filters.

There is no secret that Code3 is working a smaller clutch pulley for our E55 which will create less boost that ASP and in par with other pullies in the market.

I rather have a small increase in HP and TQ across the rev band.. then having too much torque down low and loosing HP on top.

I have though of keeping my ASP with a smaller clutch pulley..(upper and lower pullies) but I will only imagine my need for Tuning will be multiplied and car will be running RICH all day long.
I'm with you on getting his money back, but I don't think RennTech has demonstrated being able to overcome the top end issues.
I would take the ASP off, if you have no tune. At the minimum, you need the TQ limiter cut off, just so you don't dump fuel at 2+ psi in boost over stock. Even the "standard" oversized pulleys hit the wall at the top end. The VRP one NEEDS the tune.

Now, I am a bit confused on the clutch pulley and how that will lower psi. I assume you mean they will tune the setup to mimic the standard oversized pulley conditions? Anyhow, I'd be very careful with messing with the SC clutch or the pulley on it. That just has not been tested much and you may or may not want to go there with your own car. I've got little room to talk, since I let VRP/Powerchip have their way with my car and anything can happen.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:09 PM

06 e55 wagon
AA is a solid company, I say give them a chance to work it out. It's probably impossible to work out all of the issues with an ECU tune ahead of time without testing it on cars of varying build dates under real world driving conditions. Besides, competition is a good thing ...
Old 05-14-2008, 10:36 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
It will blow the CEL again. You need to get the tune fixed. The STAR system only clears past faults, it doesn't change anything. What year car? Are you sure they have the secondary injector flash figured out? Some tuners are still using pre-MY '04 tunes and that will not work to the full hilt. There is simply no way in heck they would ever be able to keep up with all the OTHER changes as well.

Before you get pissd, GET THAT FILE and make sure you can go back to stock if you want to. If you lose that file, MB can't help.
My car is a 2003 but im sure it had the air pump flash done at some point in time. I got the car used a few months ago.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hamann69
My car is a 2003 but im sure it had the air pump flash done at some point in time. I got the car used a few months ago.
let's see if it comes back.

I would try to talk to a tech about the code you erased and find out how to fix it.

I'm thinking you don't have any warranty left... therefore avoid the dealer as much as possible.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:11 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TopGun32
let's see if it comes back.

I would try to talk to a tech about the code you erased and find out how to fix it.

I'm thinking you don't have any warranty left... therefore avoid the dealer as much as possible.
No warrenty for me. Luckly I have a friend that owns a mercedes shop and has STAR.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Then I think that is why you are going through the exact same pains that many Kleeman clients may have had (back when the flash hit).

If you have access to your OEM file, GET IT. Also, check with your dealer to see if your vin is "owed" a flash. if it is, then you are fine and can go in and start on a clean slate. If not, your original file is the ONLY way back.

Final option is to come copy my file!!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:58 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
Then I think that is why you are going through the exact same pains that many Kleeman clients may have had (back when the flash hit).

If you have access to your OEM file, GET IT. Also, check with your dealer to see if your vin is "owed" a flash. if it is, then you are fine and can go in and start on a clean slate. If not, your original file is the ONLY way back.

Final option is to come copy my file!!!!
They did not save my file. When they redid my tune they used rflows stock file on my car then modified it.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
They did not save my file. When they redid my tune they used rflows stock file on my car then modified it.
They should have downloaded your file and saved it, for just this kind of issue. For the most part, you can use a flash from one car to another, but you have to remember that they are taking a picture in time. My preference is always to take MY file and modify it, since the car runs on it as is. At any rate, they should have saved your original file, so make sure you ask. It doesn't need to be the one they tweaked, but it will get you back to stock.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
They saved his stock file but his car already had the air pump recall. So they used my stock maps as a base flash followed by flashing the tune.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 PM

E55 AMG
My bad. I misunderstood what they did.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by rflow306
They saved his stock file but his car already had the air pump recall. So they used my stock maps as a base flash followed by flashing the tune.
That is what I assumed and that is where the issue lies. There are differences (components) in the '03 and later cars. Yes, when a new part is put in, they do their little Quality evaluation and say that the new one is "comparable" to the old one, but in what ways? Also, the MB recalls are done for a reason and it is not always to make the ECU favor a weak link (the tranny). I really like incorporating the most recent MB flashes at all times, especially if I want to stay under warranty. In fact, my car JUST had a recall done.

I'm not bashing, but want to explore this a bit more.

rflow: What year is your car?
Is it safe to assume you DID NOT have the dreaded air pump recall?

I am now curius to see which tune is more aggressive; the one that uses an older MB ECU flash (pre-air pump) or one that uses a "new" one. This may have something to do with all of the differences many of us feel in our cars and why I am getting raped for enjoying mine.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 AM

06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by rflow306
I guess that is the 'proper adjustment' to get around the load limiting parameters referenced by OmarM here in the Dyno with AA ECU thread?

Originally Posted by OmarM
We were able to verify that the car had the latest flash (Thanks Rflow) and made the proper adjustments to get around that.
Also not bashing, but to me that likely means they actually don't know how to properly tune out the load limiters. Instead, they have taken an older flash off of another car that is in no way guaranteed to work on your car 100% and that doesn't benefit from any recent updates to the ECU as jangy mentions.

To me that just seems like a bit of a short-cut that may be asking for problems ...

Also the statement from Omar seems less than forthcoming if all they did to make the 'proper adjustments' for a recall flashed ECU was to use an older non-reflashed ECU from another car and load it on to yours.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:30 PM

E55 AMG
Rflows car is a 2005 and never had the recall flash done. My car is a 2003.