Sponsored by:

Dreaded Fuel Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Dreaded Fuel Leak

I had been noticing a very faint gas smell the last few days, but figured it was from my last fill up when I overflowed just a touch. Yesterday it was much stronger, and this morning it was overpowering. I got inside the drip pan area behind the driver's rear tire, ran my fingers and they smelled like gas fairly strong. I pulled the rear seat and smelled the drivers side fuel area and the stench was overpowering. Removed the cover and bam... about three cups of gas had leaked into the resovoir. Keep in mind that I brought it in for the recall on this issue two months ago... the dealer told me everything was fine. I'm sure they will agree that a pool of gas under my little guy's seat is not "fine".

I soaked it all up with 3 or 4 shop towels, called the dealer and told them I was coming down and someone better be there. I start the car up and hear a hissing sound... lo and behold the fitting is so bad it is actually spraying a fine mist of gas into the air. Sweet! I'm sure thats gonna be good for the interior

I cover it back up and jamb more shop towels into the resovoir, put down the windows, open the roof and take a nice 20 mile drive in chilly Phoenix weather with no a/c and the nauseating smell of gas. Within 2 minutes some jagoff in an M6 wants to race... last thing I need to do is go WOT and have a garden hose of gas loose in the rear.

They will supposedly fix on Monday and claim that the smell will be gone by then, but I suspect not. To top it all off, they gave me a gutless 6 cylinder Dodge Magnum. I almost died pulling out into traffic...

Last edited by supre55; 07-19-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
Wow...

That second pic is just insane.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:35 PM

E55
Crazy huh? When I got to the dealer, the towels were completely soaked and dripping gas. The resovoir was almost to the point of overflow. The SA and the Director of Service were "surprised" to say the least when I showed them how bad it was.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
Good thing you caught it, when you did, who knows how fuel stuff can turn out.

I also can't say I'm thrilled to know that you've already had the recall done... lol. I sure hope this is an isolated incident & not the beginning of recall campaign #2.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Bro...that dealer is smoking crack if they say the smell will be gone by the time you get it back. It took me a couple of weeks for the gas smell to dissipate.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
germans
same crap happen to me back in march....after the recall, the following fill-up, it was leaking. what a pain in the a@@ going in to the dealers. I had it towed instead though. good luck and hope you get it back soon, cause any rental will casue you to change your driving pattern with the lack of cajones.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Man, when our cars break, it sure is friggin deadly.

Total and complete brake loss. Cups of gas literally spraying out under the rear seat.

I really does make the driving experience that much more of the thrill knowing you could die at any minute.

All kidding aside, glad you are okay my fellow desert climate brotha.

Scary stuff.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:04 AM

2005 Flint Grey E55
AHHH! I had the same problem. Brought it to the dealer ASAP. You should get that taken care of fast.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:54 AM

E55
I kept the back seat here in my garage, I figured no sense in bringing it to the dealer. This morning I go out the the garage and the damn thing reeks like gas. The foam under the leather is really potent.

I will bet a whole U.S. Dollar that they leave the gas soaked rags in the car all weekend. I have a feeling a small dispute related to new interior is in my future.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Wow, thats crazy.. I just got my car back from this recall, and weird thing i noticed is after filling up this mornig, my gas guage stayed on reserve for about 5 mins after i left the station... They the guage filled up...
Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I'm glad you're okay..... a situation like this could've turned out much worse.

So what the heck did they fix the first time around????
Old 07-22-2008, 07:55 AM

E55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I'm glad you're okay..... a situation like this could've turned out much worse.

So what the heck did they fix the first time around????
They fixed nothing the first go 'round. Thank goodness it wasn't something serious that could've caused major damage to the car or loss of life. Oh wait...

I picked the car up yesterday and the gas smell is still present, but is much less pronounced than before. However, the boneheads did leave in the plastic/cardboard cover to the resovoir that acted as the "spray shield" for who knows how long. I started to ask myself "Why would they leave that in?", and answered "These are the same guys who supposedly fixed this once before." Now I have to go back today to have them replace this piece.

A good survey score for my SA was still in the mix up to then, and the final insult to injury was that he told me the best he could do on a bluetooth module was the bargain basement price of...... $540 with tax. I can see a bunch of "1"'s on the survey in this young man's future.

I am going to give it a few days to see what happens with the overall smell, and if it is still present by the weekend I will have to ratchet up the pressure.