Sponsored by:

Aborted Dyno due to Lean Condition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ones too fast according to CHP!
Hey there, sorry to jump in. I have been monitoring this thread and did not want to post, but I now feel the need to clarify a few things. It was not until a few of these recent posts when people started to insinuate that evosport had some blame, or even a chance to deal with Angela's issues that we felt the need to post.

Originally Posted by psk145
I thought Benzgirl had a certain company's parts on before? The way I read it was that it was because of those parts that the engine failed. I also interpreted it as since she wasnt getting the results from her previous tuner, she took the car to RennTech on her own dime to get her engine rebuilt.
She had all of our staged evolution parts. No, they did not fail. And as of her last visit here, she was more the satisfied and the car met all of her expectations. More on that in a minute....

Originally Posted by jangy
As if everyone didn't know who the tuner was. The real questions are who is liable. Just because EVO did the work doesn't mean it was a botched job. Keep in mind that she had some pretty grand plans and was using MANY resources, including MBUSA. In my opinion? Too many cooks in the kitchen on a custom project that was NOT planned out or executed properly.
Too many people involved is often a problem, but not with this car or failure.

Angela has had a few lengthy conversations with Simon and our lead engineer Gary while the car was at RENNtech (I say WHILE, as we were never notified that the car had any problem until it was already on the way to FL - there was no opportunity to see, evaluate or diagnose the issues). She told us of the problem (washed down cyl walls) and in the start wondered why, then after RT's diagnosis came back that no evosport part had failed but that the vehicle was running rich, began to elude that the tune was the culprit.

We showed her the many dyno pulls from her car, and compared them to many other E55's (including Vic's) since she believed that the tune was too rich. Looking at the dyno's we told her that it was a bit rich relative to an NA car, but inline with the other 55 Kompressor cars due to forced induction. In essence, the car was not RICH in the absolute sense (never below 10's). Proof of this can and has been provided to Angela.

Even while the car was in FL, we have been following the case. In fact, I have been in DIRECT contact with a source who has first hand knowledge of Angela's car and the failure. A Mercedes Field Service Rep was involved as RT had tested the Powerchip tune and found nothing suspect with the mapping.

In fact, what was discovered was that the factory DME had failed and was sending a pulse to the injectors to keep them open too long. This caused a prolonged rich condition. This is an ECU electrical problem, not one with the mapping. While this is a rare occurrence according to MB Germany, it is not unheard of.

However, to re-iterate, the mapping was checked and verified, and there was no problem with it. The Powerchip program was not the issue. Further, none of the evosport parts had failed.

As always we would be happy to further discuss this with her or anyone at Renntech. As stated above, this is not speculation on our part, we have been in contact with the people working on this behind the scenes, and they have provided us with facts that may not have been brought to light. Perhaps this information has not yet been relayed to Angela, I cannot speak on that. We have been trying to reach her since mid last week on the phone though to discuss.

It is a shame that rumor, innuendo and assumption are allowed to get in the way of this unfortunate incident that Angela is dealing with. And as I have said, we HAVE been involved following the story and details. As much for her best interest as ours really - if it had been a part or software failure, then I would want to know so it does not happen to anyone else.

There are 100's of people running with the same tune she had, and not one had a problem except for her. In fact, a few on this thread have the same exact software.

We wish Angela the best of luck and hope her car turns out to be the beast she is hoping for!

Thanks
Brad
Old 07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Brad,
I don't know anything about a DME faliure. I will make a few phone calls. I have never been given or viewed anyones dynos. I did tell Simon about the problem before it was shipped but you are right in saying that you didn't get to view the damage.

In all fairness to me, I was complaining about the orange reside in my tips and the bad gas milage from running rich. I did call PC to see what could be done and followed up with emails to PC and Simon. Everyone told me not to worry. I also complained several times about my electrical issue where the software was being errased to tell the car to recharge the battery. I was told to take it to the dealer and they flashed that program, replaced the battery and alt.

I don't know what else I could have done to prevent the problem if that's what happened. My only motive and desire in this bad situation was to find out what happened and move on. I have never said anything negative about you guys on this forum. People asking questions was unavoidable and I have done my best to keep my intentions in check. This is obviously an offline call and shouldn't be on the boards. My car is done and I am happy.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by BENZGal
Brad,
I don't know anything about a DME faliure. I will make a few phone calls. I have never been given or viewed anyones dynos. I did tell Simon about the problem before it was shipped but you are right in saying that you didn't get to view the damage.

In all fairness to me, I was complaining about the orange reside in my tips and the bad gas milage from running rich. I did call PC to see what could be done and followed up with emails to PC and Simon. Everyone told me not to worry. I also complained several times about my electrical issue where the software was being errased to tell the car to recharge the battery. I was told to take it to the dealer and they flashed that program, replaced the battery and alt.

I don't know what else I could have done to prevent the problem if that's what happened. My only motive and desire in this bad situation was to find out what happened and move on. I have never said anything negative about you guys on this forum. People asking questions was unavoidable and I have done my best to keep my intentions in check. This is obviously an offline call and shouldn't be on the boards. My car is done and I am happy.
Angela,

As you know Simon has been trying to reach you, and it was to make sure you had all the information that we had.

I agree with you on the desire to find resolution and move on. It is a shame that it has to be public, but a few of your posts did open the door and as you said it was unavoidable that people would make assumptions. A few took a large jump and started posting that your failure was due to our parts. We all know that was not your intention, but it is important to clear that up or we risk people continuing to assume the negative and worst case scenario.

We wish you the best of luck, and as you know are always here to chat or ping ideas or questions off of.

Thanks
Brad
Old 07-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BENZGal
My car is done and I am happy.
Been scanning the boards every second to see if you've already posted a thread about it?

We're going to need some serious evidence (pics and vids) on this one!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Founder

BTW, now can we get back on topic?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
angela's car is not the exception as other cars have exibited similar pig rich symptoms on powerchip software.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by rflow306
Are you speaking on behalf of evosport ? Because she has yet to give her side of the story.
No, I don't know EVO, just being honest. If you are gonna scream wolf, then scream it.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Founder

Guys, she started her own thread. Please let Robert have his back....

thanks
Brad
Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
No Charles, not RennTech. Yes, she was having EVOSport build her a car that was not possible. Muchlike Havoc is now...
Jangy,
Are you saying that your fellow VRP customer's project is doomed for failure? If so, then why are you recommending VRP to continue working on my car to rebuild the engine?

I am reserving judgement thus far but I went to pick up my car today and was turned away at the last minute because they said my car was not drivable due to a VACUUM LEAK.

I was on my way to get a second opinion on the compression test result at Evosport but had to cancel my appointment and wasted a trip to VRP while taking a half-day off. !!!!!Now a Vacuum leak. This entire kit was installed by VRP and nothing seems to be running right. The last time I had to return it was because of a fuel line leak AND the Check Engine light was never fixed although I was told it was. After about 150 miles it just comes back. Now I find out that the ECU has not and can not be adjusted to turn this off.

Tommorow is the deadline to have my car delivered and I WILL get a second opinion on the compression test result. And if no significant loss of compression, proceed with a dyno test. I want to see for myself if the AFR is 12:1 as Vadim documented vs. 14.9:1 as my first independent dyno documented. If the 3rd dyno result shows 14.X:1 then VRP has some explaining to do. If for whatever reason the car is not delivered to me in running condition, then I will have it towed out of there!

My experience ranging from HPS, Mechtech, SpeedInnovations, GMG and VRP has not been pleasant at all. The car has been in various shops for endless weeks AND months and I've NEVER had a chance to enjoy my car. My car is already 2 years old and I don't think I ever had a full month of driving it!!! Everytime my car goes in the shop, it takes an average of 4 weeks before I see it again only to drive it a few days and find more problems and send it back and wait another 4 weeks or more. It's TOTALLY RIDICULOUS for it to take that long even after factoring a few delays due to waiting for parts.

THIS HAS BEEN A TOTAL NIGHTMARE! I seriously question the integrity of all aftermarket tuners and it would take a miracle to restore my confidence in any of them! The only shop that got me in and out with a perfect installation of my Quaife was Evosport!!!

One thing I can say about for sure is service is chronically slow!!!! My car would just sit there for weeks and weeks. Either they are not working on it and wasting my time or they don't know what's going on or just trying to figure it out!

IS THERE ANYBODY I CAN RELY AND TRUST OUT THERE!!! KLEEMANN or BRABUS! Are you guys the ones I can count on???

Last edited by AMGSC; 07-28-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
AMGSC- Cory is the man. Thats who I would go with
Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Jangy,
Are you saying that your fellow VRP customer's project is doomed for failure? If so, then why are you recommending VRP to continue working on my car to rebuild the engine?
Not at all. I am saying that Havoc knows what he got into. He understands that timelines shift, hurdles come up, and stuff goes wrong when you are being a pioneer. Think of it like you wanted a full out race motor for your car. Ferrari could build you one and you would be pissed when it needs maintenance at 1000 miles, or needs a rebuild at 10K. In my view, both Havoc and I get EXACTLY what we want from Vadim / VRP. To me, that is worth something. Heck, even my car has had issues since being modded. the toe links went bad but that isn't because of VRP.

Your car is a complete different story. I've known about it since before and was absolutely amazed to see it at Powerchip about a year ago, given all that you had said of them. Now, I am just confused on what value there is in throwing away good money after bad. My recommendation is just that. It only has as much value as you take it for. In the end, you need to make a decision, but be realistic with yourself.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
AMGSC...I feel your pain...I was without my car for 4 months out of 6 earlier in the year. However...I just want to clarify...are you trying to modify/tune your car with a pre-existing problem in your short block? If you are then I am assuming (as a non-gearhead) that modding/tuning an already "sick" engine is problematic at best.

I was kind of in your shoes with a short block with several cylinder chambers damaged. I was flagged by MB and I was told I was SOL with regard to coverage of any repair. With the help of the forum, I turned to PTE and he did a repair (new pistons/cylinder resleeving/etc...) and rebuild (including VRP cams).

Like some folks said before...either start with a whole new engine or repair the short block you have now and mod the hell out of it...but tuning a "bad block" will only lead to other problems.

Guys with more technical background please correct me if I'm wrong...Again...I hope everything works out...we both have spent a lot of money into our engines and I've been in the black whole where I thought I would never see my Beast run again...I don't like to see anyone in that position.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by AMGfan
AMGSC...I feel your pain...I was without my car for 4 months out of 6 earlier in the year. However...I just want to clarify...are you trying to modify/tune your car with a pre-existing problem in your short block? If you are then I am assuming (as a non-gearhead) that modding/tuning an already "sick" engine is problematic at best.

I was kind of in your shoes with a short block with several cylinder chambers damaged. I was flagged by MB and I was told I was SOL with regard to coverage of any repair. With the help of the forum, I turned to PTE and he did a repair (new pistons/cylinder resleeving/etc...) and rebuild (including VRP cams).

Like some folks said before...either start with a whole new engine or repair the short block you have now and mod the hell out of it...but tuning a "bad block" will only lead to other problems (unless it was due to trial and error tuning while my car was in the shop for months).

Guys with more technical background please correct me if I'm wrong...Again...I hope everything works out...we both have spent a lot of money into our engines and I've been in the black whole where I thought I would never see my Beast run again...I don't like to see anyone in that position.
Thanks for the feedback but there is no proof of ANY block damage. Yes, both Vadim and Jessie stated that one cylinder was lower than the rest but Vadim decided it was not severe enough to decline doing further work on it such as installing Kleemann SC, Cams, Headers, Cats, Pullies, FMHE, exhaust, ECU tune, etc...He should know if it was too risky and refuse to do any more work. I never signed a waiver with him.

If the engine was further damaged as a result of my independent dyno last Saturday then I seriously doubt it is my fault or the that shop's fault. If it was NOT running lean as Vadim claims then there is no reason to suggest that the engine was damaged by that dyno which he is now claiming as the reason for further compression loss. That dyno was performed with plenty of fan power, temps were in the 70's (see attached data sheet on page 1), ran in 4th gear and they even put ice on the supercharger to cool it down before the run began. I only managed two partial/aborted runs as the attached video on page 1 illustrates so how can that cause further compression loss?

If I have to sleeve the cylinders I might as well get a new motor since the motor will never be the same after you sleeve it. Mercedes cylinder walls must have the OEM Nikasil coating to function optimumally.

Last edited by AMGSC; 07-28-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
At this point, I don't think anyone can definitively say there is or isn't any damage. Whatever you do...you should do your due diligence and at least do a tear down to determine if there is any cylinder damage. But it is your car and money...I just want to see you get your car back healthy whatever you do...good luck.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGfan
At this point, I don't think anyone can definitively say there is or isn't any damage. Whatever you do...you should do your due diligence and at least do a tear down to determine if there is any cylinder damage. But it is your car and money...I just want to see you get your car back healthy whatever you do...good luck.
Thanks for your support! Yes I will have the motor fully inspected and torn down if necessary but by somebody I truly trust.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not at all. I am saying that Havoc knows what he got into. He understands that timelines shift, hurdles come up, and stuff goes wrong when you are being a pioneer. Think of it like you wanted a full out race motor for your car. Ferrari could build you one and you would be pissed when it needs maintenance at 1000 miles, or needs a rebuild at 10K. In my view, both Havoc and I get EXACTLY what we want from Vadim / VRP. To me, that is worth something. Heck, even my car has had issues since being modded. the toe links went bad but that isn't because of VRP.

Your car is a complete different story. I've known about it since before and was absolutely amazed to see it at Powerchip about a year ago, given all that you had said of them. Now, I am just confused on what value there is in throwing away good money after bad. My recommendation is just that. It only has as much value as you take it for. In the end, you need to make a decision, but be realistic with yourself.
Thanks again for your honest and unbaised advice. I have no problems with scrapping and starting over with a new motor if necessary but the chasis does not have a problem.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Out Of Control!

My experience ranging from HPS, Mechtech, SpeedInnovations, GMG and VRP has not been pleasant at all. The car has been in various shops for endless weeks AND months and I've NEVER had a chance to enjoy my car. My car is already 2 years old and I don't think I ever had a full month of driving it!!! Everytime my car goes in the shop, it takes an average of 4 weeks before I see it again only to drive it a few days and find more problems and send it back and wait another 4 weeks or more. It's TOTALLY RIDICULOUS for it to take that long even after factoring a few delays due to waiting for parts.

THIS HAS BEEN A TOTAL NIGHTMARE! I seriously question the integrity of all aftermarket tuners and it would take a miracle to restore my confidence in any of them! The only shop that got me in and out with a perfect installation of my Quaife was Evosport!!!

IS THERE ANYBODY I CAN RELY AND TRUST OUT THERE!!! KLEEMANN or BRABUS! Are you guys the ones I can count on???
I can tell this thread is going to be like your previous (HPS 100+ thread) one. As i've stated before there is NO tuner out there that will satisfy your need for power. You're always thinking of something to do and how much power you want.

Just look at you sig. Brabus conversion? With 4 turbos and i believe at one point a supercharger along with it too? Not that there's anything wrong with that (modding) since we all do it but realistic you have to set a certain goal.

I bet that if you have 700hp or 800hp in your car right now it'll only be a matter of time til you get bored with it and find more exciting ways to increase the power. But at to what point? And you expect not to have issue's with the increase in power? And yet you question tuners integrity? LOL Be serious man.

As what i've said before. Just buy an SL65 BS and get done with it.

I know you're not going to listen but just something to think about when you look back on this thread.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your car is a complete different story. I've known about it since before and was absolutely amazed to see it at Powerchip about a year ago, given all that you had said of them.
Please link what I said that was negative about Powerchip because I never had their tune in my car and I don't even know much about them.

My current tune is NOT Powerchip's nor VRP's but the result of two individual's work (Jessie and Vadim). They did the best they could and I appreciate their efforts but I think I've learned how difficult it is to get it right when the software does not match the manufacturer's hardware.

My best option is Kleemann if I rebuild and keep the SC, Brabus if I replace with a larger motor. Evosport and Renntech are other possible options but I doubt they would even touch my car since Powerchip tunes for EVO and Renntech tunes for their own SC kit.

Unfortunately my relationship with VRP has reached an end. I can't say they didn't try to make me happy but trying to install and tune somebody else's (Kleemann) used hardware proved to be difficult and my patience just ran out as has Vadim's.

I wish VRP the best. I know they have suceeded with installing their own products and engine builds. Too bad they don't make a proven aftermarket Supercharger, Turbo or Displacement kit backed by supporting software YET.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Dude, i got no links. Just remember is all. Hope you get a nice build and are appy. Good luck, bro and keep us informed...
Old 07-30-2008, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SLK55R
Let me add this was the 6.1S V8 motor. It was NOT a 7.0 v12. To be honest, 40k for the 7.0 liter V12 isn't THAT bad ... its the fact that I'm sure that doesn't include installing it.
Labor is additional $4K per Anthony@Brabus...I would have to lose the Kleemann and go with their Turbos (additional $) if I want any warranty.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
wow

Labor is additional $4K per Anthony@Brabus...I would have to lose the Kleemann and go with their Turbos (additional $) if I want any warranty.

You mean putting the V12 in your car and all the extras like ecu and fitting it only costs 4k?

What do you mean addtional is the turbos ... aren't they just fitting a V12(biturbo) that has been modified into your car?

OR are they throwing in one of the OLD V12s thats has been punched out to 7.0.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You mean putting the V12 in your car and all the extras like ecu and fitting it only costs 4k?

What do you mean addtional is the turbos ... aren't they just fitting a V12(biturbo) that has been modified into your car?

OR are they throwing in one of the OLD V12s thats has been punched out to 7.0.
Good questions... I better call them back and talk to somebody more knowledgable. So far I only spoke to two guys who answered the phone. Probably need somebody higher up. When I heard $4K, I almost jumped for joy! Either they've mastered it and simply replicating the same process or.. it's WAY underpriced. The turbos are probably bigger due to the larger displacement but I'll check that also and get back with some answers...

Edit: I just found out that a 5.8Litre Brabus brand new replacement which has a 9:1 CR can mate perfectly with my Kleemann. Half the price and the install is $2,500. He is checking on availability back in Germany and will get back to me. This is much less risk and MONEY than my dream build 7.0 Quad-Turbo.

Last edited by AMGSC; 07-30-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Edit: I just found out that a 5.8Litre Brabus brand new replacement which has a 9:1 CR can mate perfectly with my Kleemann. Half the price and the install is $2,500. He is checking on availability back in Germany and will get back to me. This is much less risk and MONEY than my dream build 7.0 Quad-Turbo.
Can you please not mix and match again? Just go to one vendor for christs sakes. DONT do stuff which hasn't been tested before.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can you please not mix and match again? Just go to one vendor for christs sakes. DONT do stuff which hasn't been tested before.
I asked him about the software and he said I'd have to find an independent Bosch ECU programmer for that. They won't do it for the Kleemann SC. Too bad Cory won't do a larger displacement engine swap.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

red flag

To me thats a red flag ... Any tuner that puts in a motor for you and then wont help with the tune ... HORRIBLE. Does it make sense that they don't want the blower on it ... yes. I would have just said don't put on the blower. No I won't sell it to you if you plan on throwing that blower on it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aborted Dyno due to Lean Condition