Aborted Dyno due to Lean Condition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I thought the older autorotor blower was a 2.2L not a 2.6L

Honestly if I had $40k to dump into the car I would call up Cory or VRP and have him rebuild the motor (keep it at 5.4L but lower c/r) and build the trans and see if he will turbo charge it for you. Sell the supercharger.

Last edited by blackbenzz; 07-26-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
But my recommendation is to keep 5.5L, and if budget is no longer a problem, keep the blower and add turbos. They will still come out cheaper than 7.0L.
+1 Get the engine and trans out and do tear down. Send the trans for the upgrade. If the cylinder bore is scratched sleeve it. Then forged pistons are a must, rods, stockers are OK your call. Heads not much to gain.Then Blower and turbos this would the most unique 55 yet.
No offense you may find a 7.0 Brabus conversion worth more than car.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Send the trans for the upgrade.
Where would you recommend?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Where would you recommend?
First choice would be Victors guy, after that Renn Tech. That said I am not sure they are not the same outfit What ever AMGSC ends up doing (7.0 SC&Turbo or TT) the trans will need upgrade.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
AMGSC,

Originally Posted by AMGSC
A repaired 5.5L (same block) will not be able to withstand the power and torque of a turbo/sc combo. Plus the fact that this combo has never been successfully done with reliability that I know of...A Brabus 7.0 is a completely different block and is basically a converted 65 motor.
I agree with Vadim! Go with VRP's Twincharged 5.7L!
This is the BEST DEAL to get 1,000hp!
Dude, you already have the blower and most of the parts.
The only problem is that you'll have to get back in line behind the Havoc!

Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
But my recommendation is to keep 5.5L, and if budget is no longer a problem, keep the blower and add turbos. They will still come out cheaper than 7.0L.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Originally Posted by SLK55R
Has I believe a built brabus motor and has it supercharged on top of it. (this is in a SLK55)

Best 1/4mil run was in High 10s!!! Of course he had a lot of mods that also lightened the car.

Last I heard though was he was pulling it all out and planned to get another frame to put it in. (torque twisted his frame)
Let me add this was the 6.1S V8 motor. It was NOT a 7.0 v12. To be honest, 40k for the 7.0 liter V12 isn't THAT bad ... its the fact that I'm sure that doesn't include installing it.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
No offense, but strip the car and build it right (like some have said) or fix it enough to sell it and be done.

Now I'm confused. You are both saying that the SC is an older one, but WHICH is the older one? Did it used to be a 2.5L?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by jangy
No offense, but strip the car and build it right (like some have said) or fix it enough to sell it and be done.

Now I'm confused. You are both saying that the SC is an older one, but WHICH is the older one? Did it used to be a 2.5L?
All I know is Cory said it was a 2.6L. Cory can you validate this if you read this? If this blower is less than 2.2L I am surely selling it.

My ultimate goal is to drop a 7.0 REPLACEMENT, put two small turbos in the front and two large turbos in the trunk. Of course the trans would need to be replaced also.

I know this whole idea is totally impractical but I'm also totally obsessed/possessed right now!

A more sensible option would be to have Kleemann install brand new E55 pistons, rings, etc...to get to 9:1 CR and use the Kleemann tune to get rid of that pesky CEL light once and for all! The costs is slightly higher than VRP but the software will match up perfectly. So far, this custom tuning has not worked out for me as smoothly as people might think.

Last edited by AMGSC; 07-27-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by Havoc
The only problem is that you'll have to get back in line behind the Havoc!

Therein lies the problem...
Old 07-27-2008, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
AMGSC

I know this whole idea is totally impractical but I'm also totally obsessed/possessed right now!
Just know and evaluate all of your options with an open and clear mind before you pull the trigger. I would hate to see you go through more issues and red tape.

Therein lies the problem...
I'm with you bro! I would love to have just a few months down time. But I understand that a longer timeline is all part of pioneering new ideas.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
I wasn't even considering RennTech/Kleeman/Carlsson. Honestly, i already said i wouldn't do it. It isn't worth the money. Buy a new C63 and move on. Now, why wouldn't i go with them? Because they haven't even shown good tuning on the OEM cars, much less a build up. I never liked how Kleeman handles their high end clients and all the issues are too much. Just too many CELs. RennTech has lost their focus and is simply concerned with MB dealership sales. Carlsson makes wheels. Heck, their ELM is still analogue. Keep laughing bro. The Shine has worn off of that penny. They want back in, they gotta win over the enthusiasts and not just the spenders.

Renntech hasn't lost their focus. They have a great relationship with MB because they put out a good product. Trust me you will be drooling over my car when you hear me step on it. They created a special engine for me so I am a witness to their consistant focus in non dealer sales. There are many companies on this board that will offer the world in HP/TQ, and I am so over that bandwagon game. These are not RC cars we are playing with. I didn't win the lotto and don't have money to throw away! The reality of most of those companies is the failure to step up and pay for a repair when something goes wrong with their work. One large repair could destroy their business. RENNtech has told me the work they are doing is warrantied. Not to say I won't break something myself or and OEM part break, but if they screw up I have built a relationship good enough to pick up the phone with confidence that Bob or Hartmut will fix it for me.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by BENZGal

Renntech hasn't lost their focus. They have a great relationship with MB because they put out a good product. Trust me you will be drooling over my car when you hear me step on it. They created a special engine for me so I am a witness to their consistant focus in non dealer sales. There are many companies on this board that will offer the world in HP/TQ, and I am so over that bandwagon game. These are not RC cars we are playing with. I didn't win the lotto and don't have money to throw away! The reality of most of those companies is the failure to step up and pay for a repair when something goes wrong with their work. One large repair could destroy their business. RENNtech has told me the work they are doing is warrantied. Not to say I won't break something myself or and OEM part break, but if they screw up I have built a relationship good enough to pick up the phone with confidence that Bob or Hartmut will fix it for me.
If you had a bad experience with an mb tuner then you should post what happened so that it can benefit all board members, again just my 2 cents and not meant in a wrong way.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rflow306
If you had a bad experience with an mb tuner then you should post what happened so that it can benefit all board members, again just my 2 cents and not meant in a wrong way.
No offense taken. I will post the experience and share pics of my toast engine. I need to make it a thread of my own which takes time for a good write up with pics. I have been outside the country and state a few times in the last couple months having fun. Soon very soon!!! My new engine is being broken in this weekend. I can tell you that blowing all 8 cyclinders was not my fault or a failure of an OEM part. I can tell you I am paying for the new engine and mods. Bottom line guys we all jump to try the new part on the market or believe the promise of a faster car. The reality is that we have fat pigs called MB. There is only so much we can do to these cars before they bite back. The choice of tuner decides the severity of the bite.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I didn't win the lotto and don't have money to throw away!
Then rennTech gave you the work for free? The reason so many others are jumping in is because we don't have money to throw away.

The reality of most of those companies is the failure to step up and pay for a repair when something goes wrong with their work.

Really? That isnt what happenned with my car. RennTech didn't step up AT ALL. Unfortunately for them (but good for you), I'd bet their good deed to you doesn't bring them a single client. Which member do you think will go over just because they helped you? Too little too late.

One large repair could destroy their business.

True, in fact James at Creative sent me a text saying the advice he had gotten was to tell me to eat crap and go Bankrupt. So, here we are.

RENNtech has told me the work they are doing is warrantied. Not to say I won't break something myself or and OEM part break, but if they screw up I have built a relationship good enough to pick up the phone with confidence that Bob or Hartmut will fix it for me.
People can say whatever they want. Go look up RennTech's written warranty now vs before Creative blew my motor. Why do you think it is different?

Angela, you and I are friends. And, i am pretty much done with RennTech so i really don't want to get into gross details. How can you say they have kept focus (as in on the enthusiasts and NOT the bling buyers) when the only thing of theirs that we want is the ELM? it is a matter of time before that is reverse engineered and that will end it all. Funny you had to send your car to Florida and you don't mention a single west coast affiliate's names. That may be the profile of their typical client, but like you said I don't have money to burn.

No disrespect, sweety but I can't be jealous. I love what Vadim has done and that he has done it with my involvement. The only car i will ever have a place for is VIC55s EVOSPORT E55.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
No offense taken. I will post the experience and share pics of my toast engine. I need to make it a thread of my own which takes time for a good write up with pics. I have been outside the country and state a few times in the last couple months having fun. Soon very soon!!! My new engine is being broken in this weekend. I can tell you that blowing all 8 cyclinders was not my fault or a failure of an OEM part. I can tell you I am paying for the new engine and mods. Bottom line guys we all jump to try the new part on the market or believe the promise of a faster car. The reality is that we have fat pigs called MB. There is only so much we can do to these cars before they bite back. The choice of tuner decides the severity of the bite.

You are right in many ways, but are you implying that rennTech doesn't "push" the envelope as much? How did you go from an '04 to an '06 and then to an '05? I always assumed it had to do with the ECU tune and the TQ limiter, but never got involved enough. I feel for you on not getting any help.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

An absolute MUST for all modding enthusiasts!!!!

I am not out to harm or damage the reputation of ANY MB tuners but I have one single most important piece of advice to ALL you modders like me.

INSIST on Witnessing the dyno run yourself in person!!! All you tuners out there (Kleemann, Renntech, Brabus, Evosport, VRP, independents, etc..) should call your customers to let them come by when the dyno is scheduled.

1) Make sure they label your dyno file and have your name & date on the dyno file in front of you.
2) Make sure the settings are correct (SAE corrected), load, environment, etc..)
3) Make sure you see the dyno chart being drawn by the computer as the dyno is being run WITH YOUR OWN TWO EYES!
4) Make sure the shop/tuner does not select somebody else's file and labels it as yours.
5) Make sure the ECU is not removed after the dyno for any further modifications to tune it back down (retard timing).
6) Drive your car in for the dyno instead of leaving it at the shop before the actual run to make sure it has 91 Octane in the tank. At least you will know and witness higher octane being used if necessary
7) I almost forgot...Make sure you do the same steps BEFORE your mods also on the same dyno, similar whether conditions, etc..

I'd like to take a poll of there of how many of you modders out there actually did this? If you did this, post here. If you did'nt then tell me why?

I made the mistake again of letting the dyno runs take place without my presence even though I requested to be notified when the dyno is scheduled.
If tuners have nothing to hide then I think they should welcome us to see the results of their work in person.

This would also save you the time and expense of getting another independent dyno (although I would still do this to check the AFR and Boost levels). Do any of you want the risk of assuming your AFR is perfect when it may not? That's what damaged my engine with HPS kit and custom tuning and I don't want it to happen again! Why is it that the dyno in my siggy does not have my name, date or car model on it. Is this dyno really mine! I think so but I want to KNOW so.

BOTTOM LINE: If I did'nt see it, IT didn't happen. It's just a piece of paper otherwise and I did not get any of what I paid for which is SAFE performance improvement. TRUST BUT ALWAYS VERIFY.

Last edited by AMGSC; 07-28-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I'd like to take a poll of there of how many of you modders out there actually did this? If you did this, post here. If you did'nt then tell me why?
I did. I am friends with the owner of the shop I take the car to for dynos. He even gives me the dyno run files so I can play with it in my own software and compare/contrast mods etc etc. Only downside is that it is a dynojet
Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
You bring up some good points. I am in the jewelry business, where it is highly stressed that everything be done independently. The person who graded/certed the diamond, should not be the person who sells the diamond, who should not be the person who appraises the diamond. Thats 3 separate parties involved, all in the interest of the client and the integrity of our business. Most of my mods have been done independent of the shop whos dynoing the car. I have watched every single dyno run on my car, I usually have to be present to help the operator in some way anyways.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I thought Benzgirl had a certain company's parts on before? The way I read it was that it was because of those parts that the engine failed. I also interpreted it as since she wasnt getting the results from her previous tuner, she took the car to RennTech on her own dime to get her engine rebuilt.

It doesnt appear to me that RennTech mods were the cause of failure on her engine.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by psk145
I thought Benzgirl had a certain company's parts on before? The way I read it was that it was because of those parts that the engine failed. I also interpreted it as since she wasnt getting the results from her previous tuner, she took the car to RennTech on her own dime to get her engine rebuilt.

It doesnt appear to me that RennTech mods were the cause of failure on her engine.

No Charles, not RennTech. Yes, she was having EVOSport build her a car that was not possible. Muchlike Havoc is now, she was being a pioneer but things didn't go so well. The parts on her car were from EVOSport and the tune was powerchip. On top of that, she bought an '06 to it on. Next thing i know, there is a decently fast '05 and I thought all was done. So, I assume there is a dispute on who made what decisions.

Just to be clear, NO RennTech parts had anything to do with Angela's engine failure. Instead, she turned to RennTech after she was frustrated with EVO and apparently RennTech decided they had a new poster child.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
No Charles, not RennTech. Yes, she was having EVOSport build her a car that was not possible. Muchlike Havoc is now, she was being a pioneer but things didn't go so well. The parts on her car were from EVOSport and the tune was powerchip. On top of that, she bought an '06 to it on. Next thing i know, there is a decently fast '05 and I thought all was done. So, I assume there is a dispute on who made what decisions.

Just to be clear, NO RennTech parts had anything to do with Angela's engine failure. Instead, she turned to RennTech after she was frustrated with EVO and apparently RennTech decided they had a new poster child.
Evosport interesting.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by rflow306
Evosport interesting.
As if everyone didn't know who the tuner was. The real questions are who is liable. Just because EVO did the work doesn't mean it was a botched job. Keep in mind that she had some pretty grand plans and was using MANY resources, including MBUSA. In my opinion? Too many cooks in the kitchen on a custom project that was NOT planned out or executed properly.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
As if everyone didn't know who the tuner was. The real questions are who is liable. Just because EVO did the work doesn't mean it was a botched job. Keep in mind that she had some pretty grand plans and was using MANY resources, including MBUSA. In my opinion? Too many cooks in the kitchen on a custom project that was NOT planned out or executed properly.
Are you speaking on behalf of evosport ? Because she has yet to give her side of the story.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
1) Make sure they label your dyno file and have your name & date on the dyno file in front of you.
2) Make sure the settings are correct (SAE corrected), load, environment, etc..)
3) Make sure you see the dyno chart being drawn by the computer as the dyno is being run WITH YOUR OWN TWO EYES!
4) Make sure the shop/tuner does not select somebody else's file and labels it as yours.
5) Make sure the ECU is not removed after the dyno for any further modifications to tune it back down (retard timing).
6) Drive your car in for the dyno instead of leaving it at the shop before the actual run to make sure it has 91 Octane in the tank. At least you will know and witness higher octane being used if necessary
7) I almost forgot...Make sure you do the same steps BEFORE your mods also on the same dyno, similar whether conditions, etc..
This is good advice! We typically run dyno's at 5:30 or later, which allowed people to be present.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jangy,
I didn't want to do it at this time but I will start a new thread to avoid a hijack. Nothing you posted on my situation was correct, or my feeling about evosport, or my reason for PAYING RENNtech. LOL

Good luck AMGSC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aborted Dyno due to Lean Condition