W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Beast is in pieces...in cosmetic and audio surgery...:)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
HOLY EFFING CRAP!

I bet the radio reception is still snowy though.

Car is ridiculous man.....ridiculous.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
HOLY EFFING CRAP!

I bet the radio reception is still snowy though.

Car is ridiculous man.....ridiculous.
LOL...Not with HD Radio now...

Actually, the worst sounding source unit is satellite radio because it is so compressed. They had to tweak a lot via the outboard Audiocontrol EQ unit to get the sound decent.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
System looks great! Can you give us a review of how it sounds????????
Old 10-11-2008, 05:51 PM

A Car
whats the purpose of the red LED's in the grill?
(sorry didn't read the whole build)
Old 10-11-2008, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by rotex
System looks great! Can you give us a review of how it sounds????????
This is the first day with any real seat time in the car. My installer and I are still tweaking the EQ curves for the various types of music I listen to...I've got 8 presets on my Audiocontrol DQXS...vocals, cont. rock, metal, latin, dance/freestyle, jazz, talk radio, satellite radio (it is really compressed pre-eq).

I listen to a lot of vocals and the way the base tweak is sounding very rich...midbass is snappy and bass is deep and not muddled what so ever. We had to cut the tweeters by -4 at the crossover module and I can adjust on the fly via the source units parametric, but now the high frequencies are clear and delicate when needed...any harshness that may have been there has been smoothed out.

Overall, the sound is fabulous with a soundstage that is high and wide. The vocals (thanks to Kenwood's spatial tuning program at the source unit...the ability to delay sound at each corner, center, and sub frequencies) are right in front of me.

The bass and midbass seem to be coming from the front with only the really hard and deep bass notes evident from the rear.

I am loving the Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 and the multiple source units (CD, DVD, Ipod, Sirius/XM Radio, HD Radio, TV tuner) with the additional Garmin navigation, bluetooth, back up camera, and USB ports I want for nothing...plus it's a touch screen.

Last edited by AMGfan; 10-11-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:46 AM

E55
Originally Posted by AMGfan
This is the first day with any real seat time in the car. My installer and I are still tweaking the EQ curves for the various types of music I listen to...I've got 8 presets on my Audiocontrol DQXS...vocals, cont. rock, metal, latin, dance/freestyle, jazz, talk radio, satellite radio (it is really compressed pre-eq).

I listen to a lot of vocals and the way the base tweak is sounding very rich...midbass is snappy and bass is deep and not muddled what so ever. We had to cut the tweeters by -4 at the crossover module and I can adjust on the fly via the source units parametric, but now the high frequencies are clear and delicate when needed...any harshness that may have been there has been smoothed out.

Overall, the sound is fabulous with a soundstage that is high and wide. The vocals (thanks to Kenwood's spatial tuning program at the source unit...the ability to delay sound at each corner, center, and sub frequencies) are right in front of me.

The bass and midbass seem to be coming from the front with only the really hard and deep bass notes evident from the rear.

I am loving the Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 and the multiple source units (CD, DVD, Ipod, Sirius/XM Radio, HD Radio, TV tuner) with the additional Garmin navigation, bluetooth, back up camera, and USB ports I want for nothing...plus it's a touch screen.

Congrats! Sounds like your pleased with the sound. The install looks 2nd to none

In retrospect is there anything you might have done differently or is it perfect as is?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Stryker
Congrats! Sounds like your pleased with the sound. The install looks 2nd to none

In retrospect is there anything you might have done differently or is it perfect as is?

I think we really covered all the bases...that is part of the reason it took 3 months. We tackled every aspect of the install from the perspective of what I would like aethestically and acoustically, the limitations of a car environment, and our goal to be a slave to details.

There were times that Jason had to start from square one if he felt something didn't look right or if I was not fully satisfied...that is the fortunate part of this project...

The car audio shop landscape are so full of shady and half arsed proprietors (at least from my Tampa experience) and Jason seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Anybody that plans to go through a project like mine or with even a minor install, should not only be happy with the exterior finish but also what are behind the panels. If they can't show you (via pictures or live inspection) the work behind the work, then be afraid.

I've been in his shop when a car from another "high end audio" shop came in and it look and sounded like crap. The wiring and connectors, the equipment/speaker mounting, the enclosure construction, and use of incorrect equipment were all subpar and downright a fire risk.

Please everybody do your homework when dealing with anyone who touches our cars...
Old 10-12-2008, 01:36 PM

2006 Mercedes Benz E350
Old 11-01-2008, 07:08 AM

CLS55 KLEEMANN
Originally Posted by Bisco
Tastefully done

What's tasteful bout it other than the headlights?
Old 11-01-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
Originally Posted by gogolio

What's tasteful bout it other than the headlights?
To each his own, but I don't think there is anything particularly "flashy" about the car. I'm willing to bet that most of the details wouldn't be noticed by someone driving by. Unless you think the car being blacked out is distasteful, what's wrong with it? It certainly doesn't scream "look at me" or appear over the top.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No worries...I didn't have the illusion that my take on my car would be to everyones liking. Part of the appeal of doing this project was seeing what could be done on the car...even the parts people may not like were done with detail in mind.

The exterior was done mainly for people who know about the car in stock form...not to be in your face but to make you take a second look to figure out what's different...to be honest with you there are so many things we changed that I sometimes don't even remember some of the changes...

The interior headliner and the stitching and the embossed AMG logo will probably never be noticed by anyone except folks who have owned the Beast. The exterior trim pieces that were chrome probably will not get noticed at all...my wife still hasn't noticed it...

Part of the forum experience is to show stuff that could be done and that could be taken and personalized to your car in a different way. You may not paint your rims, black out your chrome, or redesign your audio in the manner I had it done but you know it is possible...

The same could be said for all the engine modifications that were done on the car...I saw a myriad of threads on engine mods and it gave me direction and showed me that I have options...

At the end of the day, I enjoy the car and the process it took to get where it is today...stock or modded its a great ride.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:56 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
Just read the whole thread to this point, I am amazed. Honestly, you are taking it to a new level. Can't believe the attention to detail, and man you've got some guts to take it that far apart, and get it put back together right. Major congrats!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by ThisFlyGuy
whats the purpose of the red LED's in the grill?
(sorry didn't read the whole build)
"Beast Eyes"
Old 11-20-2008, 01:09 AM

E320
UN
BE
FREAKIN
LIEVABLE.

What an amazing car. So amazing that it makes my w211 look like crap, so now I must sell it!

F/S: 04 E320

WTB: HONDA CIVIC.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:33 PM

E500 w211
oh my God!! these amaaaaazing!!

PLEASE PLEASE HELP
all what i need is to install a Kenwood HU in my 2003 E500 with Audio50
can you please share with me all the technical detials of installing it in a w211? especially that I want to keep the stock amp and speakers if possible
Old 11-23-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW Active Hybrid 5 , Porsche 997 c4s
The install looks great , I would guess the installer ius a friend of yours or you paid a lot for all the custom work. What most people dont realize is all of this work is very expensove .I am curious as i am sure many others are also about the sound system install cost ? and product cost .
Old 11-23-2008, 08:45 PM

BMW Active Hybrid 5 , Porsche 997 c4s
You can replace the unit in yoru e500 . It is possible to change the unit , you can not use factory amplification so you will need minimum amplifier , amplifers depending on if you want to add subs or if you have the factory sub .
Speakers would also be agood ideat but if you dont do speakers you will need to add passive crossovers for the factory speakers .
If you are close to California , give me a call and i can help you out.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 AM

E500 w211
Originally Posted by mercedesaudio
You can replace the unit in yoru e500 . It is possible to change the unit , you can not use factory amplification so you will need minimum amplifier , amplifers depending on if you want to add subs or if you have the factory sub .
Speakers would also be agood ideat but if you dont do speakers you will need to add passive crossovers for the factory speakers .
If you are close to California , give me a call and i can help you out.
well i do appreciate any help!!
the reason is that i will have do to the whole thing myself...i am currently working in Saudi Arabia and I dont seem to find someone i can trust for my car for such a job

I need dash kit, harnesses...instructions to how it has been done...schematics for the amps and behind the unit connections

you know all the deal
Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM

E500 w211
Hey AMGfan

I am awaiting your reply..i have PMed you

cheers
Old 02-11-2009, 02:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43
To add to the old thread, do you have any current pictures of the dash? I seem to be in the boat as GF, have the US command, but really dislike it. Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 AM

E500 w211
seriously guys...i will pay for consultancy !!
I need to know what i will run into installing a DD into my E500 in place of the Audio50!

BR
Old 02-28-2009, 05:56 AM

E500 w211
anyone?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes AMG
That thing is MURDERED OUT! I could not bring my self to do it to my e55 so I did it to my truck...

I'm in the market for a 06 e55. Can you buy the dash kit for the double din, or did you have to have some one make it for you? Could you keep your steering wheel controls? I'm thinking of keeping the stock head unit, but only if I can mod it to play dvd's. Any body have experience with this or does the quality suck?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes AMG
Oh and what size tires are you running?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by AMGfan
The interior headliner and the stitching and the embossed AMG logo will probably never be noticed by anyone except folks who have owned the Beast. The exterior trim pieces that were chrome probably will not get noticed at all...my wife still hasn't noticed it...
This is so true, guys like myself and many others here love this thread and all the wonderful detail you chronicled to create this beast. This thread is the gift that keeps giving... Great job

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The Beast is in pieces...in cosmetic and audio surgery...:)