W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has raised REV. limiter and shift points?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:35 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Who has raised REV. limiter and shift points?

Has anyone had their REV limiter raised and trans shift points raised? Line pressure increased? I assume Rev limiter is done in the ECU and shift points/ line pressure coded in the TCU?

If so, by whom and thoughts on the results?

Any 55`s running aftermarket torque converters yet?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-14-2008, 03:57 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
What? No 55 has had this type of tune done yet? Not even a little wilder converter? Not enough CODE breakers around yet???

Don`t we have the same tranny (NAG1) 5 speed those Chyrsler thingy`s run/drive?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL600
I think if you did a search of the ECU tunders you would see a number of results, try Renntech, Kleeman, Veloce, LET, VRP, powerchip, ECU and it should come up/
Old 08-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Mine, but only from ECU. It was done by Vadim and Jeremy at powerchip
Old 08-14-2008, 06:07 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by jangy
Mine, but only from ECU. It was done by Vadim and Jeremy at powerchip
What are your shift point RPM on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift now? High high is the rev. limitor set? Both these adjustments were or are included in your tune?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
What are your shift point RPM on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift now? High high is the rev. limitor set? Both these adjustments were or are included in your tune?
Yes they are part of the tune. Once they figured out how to bypass the TQ limiter, the car had lots more power but was shifting at some crappy spots. After about 3 or 4 renditions, the car is now fairly aggressive, although i know I still need a TQcoverter and TCU upgrade. The rpms slap 7000 easily. I think they gave it 400 extra revs, but not sure. As far as shift points, I didn't mean on WOT, although that as increased. What I meant is the input that the car looks for in order to think that a down shift or up shift is needed. When they first tuned it, the slightest of throttle inputs and the car would drop 2 gears and be screaming along. That is great response IF I were always racing but i am not. It took hours of datalogging and feedback to get all of those little things set. I will be going back for a final upgrade (ecu) as soon as my cooling is done.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
speed tuning USA raised rev limit on one W208 CLK AMG to 6400 on the M113 and it runs fine. thats NA though, FI is different story. Still M113 can take more power but theres really no point in increasing it on forced induction.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Without corresponding breathing mods, the 55k motor runs out of breath top-end. Bumping it up in second does put you more in the 'meat' of the powerband when it shifts into third, however.

Every gear has a different limit cutoff from the factory - mine was adjusted up 300 RPM in first, 400 in second and third, 300 in fourth, and 900 in fifth by LET.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
...When they first tuned it, the slightest of throttle inputs and the car would drop 2 gears and be screaming along. That is great response IF I were always racing but i am not. It took hours of datalogging and feedback to get all of those little things set. I will be going back for a final upgrade (ecu) as soon as my cooling is done.
That sounds more like the tranny adaptations than anything else.

Unless your TCU is being modified, NOTHING besides shift points is changed, AFAIK, and that is done through RPM limit.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
...mine was adjusted up 300 RPM in first, 400 in second and third, 300 in fourth, and 900 in fifth by LET.
Would you kindly extrapolate its velocity for us?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
That sounds more like the tranny adaptations than anything else.

Unless your TCU is being modified, NOTHING besides shift points is changed, AFAIK, and that is done through RPM limit.
Hold up, I am not talking about shift points under WOT. That is easy. i am talking about in regular driving. You can have the car shift down with the slightest of throttle blips or you can have the car wait for a particular load before it shifts down. The car comes set, based on OEM setup. The added power and mods make the inputs exaggerated and so the tranny will act up if all you do is engine tuning.

Dunno what LET is up to but MB has two separate governors on these cars. the rev limiter simply makes sure the car doesn't over rev. The speed limiter is for top end.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Without corresponding breathing mods, the 55k motor runs out of breath top-end. Bumping it up in second does put you more in the 'meat' of the powerband when it shifts into third, however.
Agree on the run out of breath but you still can gain more ET by raising shift points.. This applies mainly to the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift (early momentum). Mainly 1-2 shift.. For example: If you have peak HP at 6200 rpm and shift at the same RPM,, the RPM drop on these stock converters drop you way out of peak HP verses going up 300-400 rpm. This can keep you in a lot higher (above the curve) HP average.. That is why I am asking,, as I have not seen any tuning info on if shift points ARE or CAN be adjusted at WOT!

Every gear has a different limit cutoff from the factory - mine was adjusted up 300 RPM in first, 400 in second and third, 300 in fourth, and 900 in fifth by LET.
The adjustments were made at WOT? Your 1-2 shift at WOT is close to 6800 RPM now?? If so, that is good news..
Old 08-15-2008, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Agree on the run out of breath but you still can gain more ET by raising shift points.. This applies mainly to the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift (early momentum). Mainly 1-2 shift.. For example: If you have peak HP at 6200 rpm and shift at the same RPM,, the RPM drop on these stock converters drop you way out of peak HP verses going up 300-400 rpm. This can keep you in a lot higher (above the curve) HP average.. That is why I am asking,, as I have not seen any tuning info on if shift points ARE or CAN be adjusted at WOT!

The adjustments were made at WOT? Your 1-2 shift at WOT is close to 6800 RPM now?? If so, that is good news..
Look at a dyno graph for an M113, they die above 5k rpms. No use raising the limiter unless your car is fully tuned with SLR coolers.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Look at a dyno graph for an M113, they die above 5k rpms. No use raising the limiter unless your car is fully tuned with SLR coolers.
I have looked at plenty of m113 dynos.. Here is one without SLR coolers and it would do well with shift points raised..

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=dyno+m113

For example above:: If this motors RPM`s drop to 4000 on shifts,, he will lose ET and not stay int he sweet spot.

The Question was: Who has raised shift points?? I am looking for information on this area for the mods I plan to add. I did not ASK or SAY on a stock M113 or even if it was on a modified M113. Just wanting to discuss the info.. Is that OK on this forum????

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
It is, but I think you are confusing us. Isn't the shift point on WOT the redline? That is how you control it. I don't know of any automatic car that short shifts, and that would only save gas and not add power.

CH: more revs ALWAYS equal more power. No SLR coolers needed, just lots of air. Like exotic said, you don't want to be on the weak side of the peak especially in a five speed. My power peaks before I shift but that is fine, because I am always at minimum 80% power. If I left it as was, I'd keep having to SLOWLY creep back into screem zone on each shift.

Stock power peak is at 6100 and the rev limits at 6500. You drop to about 5800 each time, which is again on the weak side. i'll take power loss on the strong side anyday since you already have momentum up and running.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Dunno what LET is up to but MB has two separate governors on these cars. the rev limiter simply makes sure the car doesn't over rev. The speed limiter is for top end.
There is a speed limiter in each gear, along with the rev limiter.

It's fairly obvious that you don't know what LET is up to. Right now, my car is running two switchable tunes, for instance.

CH: more revs ALWAYS equal more power.
Simply incorrect. Heads/cam selection plays a TINY part in the whole thing.

Stock power peak is at 6100 and the rev limits at 6500. You drop to about 5800 each time, which is again on the weak side. i'll take power loss on the strong side anyday since you already have momentum up and running.
Try driving your car again, report back. If you fall to 5800 after the shift, I'll eat my shorts.

Last edited by ChicagoX; 08-16-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by splinter
Would you kindly extrapolate its velocity for us?
A bit shy of 200, theoretically. IIRC it was 197.xx on paper.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
There is a speed limiter in each gear, along with the rev limiter.

Huh? ok, lets pick 3rd. why on earth would there be a speed limiter on it? rev limit, yes to protect the engine. Speed limit? Why? And what's with the personal attack again?

It's fairly obvious that you don't know what LET is up to. Right now, my car is running two switchable tunes, for instance.

I just said I didn't and nor do I care!! You are so special with 2 fancy tunes. Why don't you ask rarefinancial how many RennTech tunes he is running on his CLS63? So what? How small are your feet?

Simply incorrect. Heads/cam selection plays a TINY part in the whole thing.

Huh, again? I was already clear with the OP what heads and cams do and that they were NOT an option at this point. Please stay on track, instead of just looking to bash me.

Try driving your car again, report back. If you fall to 5800 after the shift, I'll eat my shorts.
My car shifts at just over 7000rpms, so your shorts are safe.

You are such a cutie pie. When have i ever claimed to be a technical expert or certified MB knower? stud, I am simply an enthusiast that loves to learn about cars and chew the fat with others that car about secret COMAND menus and the such. I've been here long enough that EVERYONE knows what I know and don't know. EVEN IN THIS THREAD, I gave OP props for challenging my knowledge and helping me correct or fill in the gaps. What is it you wish you could prove? OK, lets say I was wrong on something (if it ever happens ), so what? I'm just Jangy. That's it. I'll still be Jangy then. And if you wanna get into a nice bash off, then start a new thread and I'd be happy to show you why tey call me Jangy. Leave other people's threads alone.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
My car shifts at just over 7000rpms, so your shorts are safe.... I've been here long enough that EVERYONE knows what I know and don't know. EVEN IN THIS THREAD, I gave OP props for challenging my knowledge and helping me correct or fill in the gaps. What is it you wish you could prove?... Leave other people's threads alone.
It's not up to you to tell me where to post, thanks.

You took an uneducated swipe at the folks tuning my car, and posted misinformation - expect correction.

Who cares why they call you Jangy....with 112mph traps, you are the last person to be chiming in the performance threads.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
It's not up to you to tell me where to post, thanks.

Tis true, so lets have some fun til the mods step in....

You took an uneducated swipe at the folks tuning my car, and posted misinformation - expect correction.

swipe? what swipe? I have no issue with correction. It is your tude that makes me wonder. So, the "folks" tuning your car, huh? Sure you don't mean kin? Look, we got into their credibility and tactics before. Why you wanna go there again?

Who cares why they call you Jangy....with 112mph traps, you are the last person to be chiming in the performance threads.
HAHAHAHA!! Oh, you are so funny. Good one. Maybe I don't have the speed limit set properly in each gear? Perhaps LET can help me with that? LOL!!!

Post your dyno run and A/Fs and lets see what LET did. It is that simple. i wanna see what your car does past 4K rpms. You scared?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
...Stock power peak is at 6100 and the rev limits at 6500. You drop to about 5800 each time, which is again on the weak side...
There is a different rev limiter in each gear. 6500, 6700, 6300, 6300, 5500 on the 2003s, for example.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
There is a different rev limiter in each gear. 6500, 6700, 6300, 6300, 5500 on the 2003s, for example.
OK, now tell us about the SPEED limiter in each gear? Come on...
Old 08-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
HAHAHAHA!! Oh, you are so funny. Good one. Maybe I don't have the speed limit set properly in each gear? Perhaps LET can help me with that? LOL!!!
If you are only running 112mph, they can help you with a lot of things. Remember, they do their own tuning.

My A/F is about 12:1 across the board on the street and at the track, a bit richer on the dyno.

I think 11.59 on street tires should be enough for you. I don't see many fake track times, unlike dynos.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Go read my posts and show me where I disrespected LET. So what if each gear is set at a different rev limit. You think I didn't know that? LOL, you are cute. That is what all of this is about, huh? You thought I said that it wasn't the case? Dude, your hatred is just whacky. Reminds me of those Southern white boys back in the day. Lets just agree to disagree and you do whatever you want. Ain't a damn body buying LET copies of anything.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
If you are only running 112mph, they can help you with a lot of things. Remember, they do their own tuning.

Like you said, IF. Also, I am sure they do their own tuning. EVERY shop here does. The question is what are they doing?

My A/F is about 12:1 across the board on the street and at the track, a bit richer on the dyno.

Like I said, post it. i wanna see 12:1 at 6800RPMs.

I think 11.59 on street tires should be enough for you. I don't see many fake track times, unlike dynos.
You may not call them fake, but comparing numbers from one coast to another is DEFINITELY less controlled than dynos, not that I am a huge dyno fan. I like side by side races, especially for the money. None of this: here is my best trap ever. Here is my best 60 foot ever. So what? Your 11 whatever is NEVER enough for me. I hope you know that ALL the west coast guys take ALL of your talk with lots of salt...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who has raised REV. limiter and shift points?