Best supercharger Cams?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:52 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Best supercharger Cams?

How do these specs compare to the SLR cams specs? Anyone have those specs?

DURATION VALVE LIFT LOBE SEP. ANGLE
ADVERTISED @.050"
IN EX
900-6700 RPM 229 240 0.535 0.555 113°

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
PM patrick at PTE_engineering - he has the specs for SLR cams, IIRC.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
+1...Pat knows his stuff...
Old 08-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Has anyone confirmed or denied that the SLR cams are even what we want? I've been sitting in the very back of the room on cams. I wanted them, but I've never seen ANY truly good data out. Pat would be the person that knows.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Does anyone know if the SLR cams require stiffer valve springs, or will the stockers do?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 08:43 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by jangy
Has anyone confirmed or denied that the SLR cams are even what we want? I've been sitting in the very back of the room on cams. I wanted them, but I've never seen ANY truly good data out. Pat would be the person that knows.

After looking into the SLR cams, they are not what I want.. They are to MILD and do not make enough power per the dynos I have seen. GO Custom grind or go home!! Do CAM and Converter at the same time..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
After looking into the SLR cams, they are not what I want.. They are to MILD and do not make enough power per the dynos I have seen. GO Custom grind or go home!! Do CAM and Converter at the same time..
I don't know that too many people have really done the data to see what oour cars like (with tune and all). I want to do the converter now. Has anyone done just that? These are both mods I want, but not things I wanna be the test bug on. i'll stick to poneying up my blown motor...
Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
I saw these SLR specs on a post by PTE (Patrick) on SLR specs..

SLR cam;;;LSA 116 and Exh 295/ intake 305 (have to be advertised 3).. I am still looking for lift numbers and duration at .050

Be nice to compare to stock cam but I can not find any specs on this forum on our cam..

The specs I posted in the first post are in the range of stage 3 cam.. May need springs depending on what lift our springs can handle.. Again, need stock specs. Whithout a converter or gear change,, it is not worth going with to much cam.. Since tuners don`t seem to disclose cam specs,, custom grind is the only way to get what you want for above average set up..Very frustrating, as it will be cold soon and specs are holding up the build..

PS, it always cost more to be a leader than a follower but the rewards are high! Business 101
Old 08-17-2008, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
Does anyone know if the SLR cams require stiffer valve springs, or will the stockers do?

Thanks
stock springs are fine. iirc, lift is the same, only duration and overlap change between slr and stock cams.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Originally Posted by chiromikey
stock springs are fine. iirc, lift is the same, only duration and overlap change between slr and stock cams.
Thank you.

As far as tuning is concerned, would air/fuel remapping be enough, or does timing also need to advanced/retarded to reep the full benefit of cams?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
Thank you.

As far as tuning is concerned, would air/fuel remapping be enough, or does timing also need to advanced/retarded to reep the full benefit of cams?
honestly, if you're looking to get everything out of it, i think a/f and timing all need to be remapped even with stock cams. without remapping for the slr's there's about a 12-15hp gain in the mid to upper rpm range and i'd guess there's probably another 5-10 with tuning.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
So are the stock MB cams and stock SLR cam specs secret? It seems someone would /could post the specs.. Why let all the tuners basically only sell us a SLR cam? It seems there is very little power from that and at a high cost to work ratio.. Might as well pay 2500 for a CF airbox..

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems the tail is wagging the dog here..I am new on 'this" forum but frustration to get basic performance info to grow this sport is very tough..Members can grow tuners profit quick,, but basic info has to become public..

The members should share all the info we can, work with tuners to get what we want and in return grow the the 55 aftermarket class..Money to be made and saved by all ,,plus we all go faster -safer.. Right now, a few tell us what we can put on our cars and it is the same for all basically. Tail wagging the dog..

Just venting..

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Exotic, you nailed it on the head. blackbenz recently had the same frustrations and the only real solution is for us, the member, to work with eachother to get such info. the tuners either do not have them or are not willing to tell us because of various reasons. One, we could copy them (even though that is what they are) or end up showing that you spend $3K AND tore your head open for 5hp.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
There are many other tuners that make custom cams for lots of other applications where cam swaps are more common, and they advertise their specs all the time..... And they're still in business.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
I have never used and still in the factory boxes a set of Mercedes SLR Cams & Cam Gears with needed shims for installation, if someone needs a set PM me.

MachC5
Old 08-17-2008, 09:32 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by MACHC5
I have never used and still in the factory boxes a set of Mercedes SLR Cams & Cam Gears with needed shims for installation, if someone needs a set PM me.

MachC5
Can you please post the cam specs off the cam card in the box or scan the card and post it? At least before you sell them? PM if this info is secret
Old 08-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Cam specs are srs bizness!!! Good luck getting specs
Old 08-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212

MachC5
Brother, I say let the people who care paypal you and have you just run it to a shop for specking?? Then we will know once and for all. Someone can come up with a stock one and we'll know those.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Can you please post the cam specs off the cam card in the box or scan the card and post it? At least before you sell them? PM if this info is secret
iirc, slr cam specs have been posted here before. keep in mind that this is not your brother's mustang and we're not ordering parts from edlebrock...there is no "cam card" in the box.

for the most part members have always shared info when it became available in the past. sorry if it doesn't seem that way anymore.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:23 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
iirc, slr cam specs have been posted here before. keep in mind that this is not your brother's mustang and we're not ordering parts from edlebrock...there is no "cam card" in the box.

for the most part members have always shared info when it became available in the past. sorry if it doesn't seem that way anymore.
chiro is fibbing!!!!
he wants to keep his SLR cam fix a secret!!! non shall haveeeeee ittt

hehe just kidding, as he stated peopel do share info, you just have to search for it. From what i know there are 3-4 types of cams avilible as far as i know
SLR cams, which apprently need shimming & are not true drop ins
  • Kleemann cams which are the same as evtech ones to? not sure
  • VRP cams which are apparently the most aggressive
  • and possibly MKB, if they do not share the same cam with Kleemann

as for specs no idea sorry
Old 08-18-2008, 06:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
I've been interested in the CAM issue for long .. and still I am
especially after having finally entered the installation phase of various mod parts I already had available. (stock base dyno already made @445 whp)

btw, .. sorry again to those members that I disturbed many times for advice.. Chiro in first place !

thanks to VRUS we had the following info about SLR CAMS here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/155641-cams-anyone.html

I found a way to get cams done for our cars. These would be created from billet blanks just like the Kleemann cams. Specs are as follows:

Intake Duration: 256
Exhaust Duration: 268
LSA: 114

As far as I know these are the same specs as the Kleemann cams. I AM NOT 100% sure, but, that is what the feedback was to me.

Valve Timing:

Intake Open: 14dg
Intake Close: 62dg

Exhaust Open: 68dg
Exhaust Close: 20dg

Valve Lift at TDC:

Intake: 0.5mm
Exhaust: 1.0mm

I would consider the above thread as the milestone for further fine tuning of desired specs for our K55 CAMs, taking particularly into consideration all inputs we can find there, especially contributions by member GRUMPY666.

afaik,
- MKB's cams are advertised to have higher lift .. therefore they should be different from SLR's;
- another CAM set circulating here is 264 Intake duration and 268 Exhaust, with a said 11mm lift. (sorry, don't have further info about its true performance)

unfortunately, available specs are not immediately comparable: maybe those 11mm lift = 0.433" are intended as Lobe lift , while other data reports Valve lift after rocker ratio.
Sure, Duration values are not @.05" !

Last edited by dyno; 08-18-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley

MachC5
get them measured
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Cams Dam! Cams?

WoW . It is great to see a exchange of Info . I can only write in short spurts. ADHD. I spent quite a few months measuring & calling all over the world, 1st i went to Crane in Daytona, Through the doors I went.4 pairs of Cams in hand. Funny Thing . Their Cam profiler was Broke and really could not see it being repaired in the near future. Next I called Lunati , They were not interested?? , Then I call Crowler Cams . Spoke to a really nice person, Hank?
I figured they build Cams for Ford's 4.6 (3) valve head. Hank ,felt there wasn't enough demand to do a small production run. I looked at WEB cams , They will regrind, your old core only ,No Warranty , No Aftersales support , No Proto typing. You are on your own. And they back doored me on a 3 cyl 4 stroke Rotax cam project. So It is not as easly as one might think. Europe Cam Builders offered the most help. I supplied the all the specs. This was a lot of engine pulling out the the chassies. V-8 Kompressor / V-8 N/a & V-6 Kompressor .Heads off , test valve springs . Valve drop at TDC , Valve spring Retainer ,bottom lip to the top of the valve guide seal. Make sure that the Cam lobe clearance to the inside of the cam valley. Spring Height at coil bind. Spring pressure on the seat & Pressure at at Cam full lift .Then The Big Degreewheel , Stuff.! How soon can we open the intake. It is opening before the rest of the exhaust is pushed out. Exhaust valve is still open ! (THAT is called overlap.)

The Company I worked with had not updated the cam specs for years. The samples I sent them , OEM MB . Had more lift & overlap ,than their their current off the shelf offering . So I did all the work and sign an profile proprietory agreement with them. So My Out lay of cash was over $10,000.00 for the 1st two proto types , for a drop in cam with no fitment issues. Hense this is why the specs are kept tight lipped

Exotic: Those are V-8 M-113 N/A Degree cam specs. But Those valve lift numbers are way off. The intake valves will collide with the Piston Reliefs. The N/A have a little more intake valve lift. (.305 VS .288 ) lobe lift than the Kompressor. about .017 more .but their whole cycle begins 1.5 Crankshaft degrees later. It Would be really cool if somebody made a multi slot keyway , for the crankshaft

DYNO: Those specs are off the shelf Schrick cams Not Kleemann.
Valve Timing:

Valve Lift at TDC:

You would make less HP with those installed on a Kompressor motor with those cams.

As many of you Know I travel a lot , and should answer my E-Mails more offen than I Do. The company I work for has a tough time keeping me Focused , on their projects. Cheers _PTEngineering 1:02 PM Darn ADHD

Last edited by PTE; 08-18-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by PTE
WoW . .......
DYNO: Those specs are off the shelf Schrick cams Not Kleemann.
Valve Timing:

Valve Lift at TDC:

You would make less HP with those installed on a Kompressor motor with those cams.

great to know those specs were a misinfo

you right

didn't think to check before ...should never trust !

.. hope Vrus didn't make his cams starting from those values

btw, Pat, did you ever had at hand those 264-268 11lift ...and what do you think ?

sometime happens to loose money and time
.. but maybe you can have another possibility to have the money spent back !!... as for me, I would be ready to compensate you by paying 500$ mark up upon production cost on the NEW CAMs for this PROJECT under discussion.
.. don't know if there should be 20 further members ready .. but at least 10 ..

Who's in ?

1- DYNO

2- ?
1-

Last edited by dyno; 08-18-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
I always search hard before I post and ask questions..Not my first rodeo as they say down here in Houston I have seen casual numbers thrown out and all lack any definitive conclusion to those specs. I nor should any member make a buying decission or set up their other mods based on that info.. As you can see below a few post.. misinformation can easilly happen when only one person throws out the specs..

Just to be clear,,, I am not asking for any tuners aftermarket specs.. I can respect that secrecy and have had cams initialed after my name in the past and kept secret.. I just would like to know our stock Kompressor specs at .050 and the stock SLR specs at .050.. Most specs I see are at advertised ratios. Ramp angles would be really nice to know but I know that won`t happen.

Agreed but not many technical members posting. so , I will continue to ask and push the envelope... I am sure you have seen how the tech threads die long before they come to a solid conclusive answer.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Best supercharger Cams?