W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno'd my stock E55 - Wow, you won't believe this.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG Kompressor
What was the name of the guy who built your engine ?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by str8ridin
Frank is The Man.

trap speeds do tell loads.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
str8,

Since you posted uncorrected #s, I went ahead and did some calculations to get the real corrected #s. Using a few assumptions, (average temp, humidity, barometric pressure that is typical for Seattle over the past few months) - my correction factor (about .96) puts you at ~460rwhp on the Dyno Jet for the graph you posted - on the upper end for a stage 1 car. (It should also be noted that I used 40F, if it was 30F, he would lose another ~6rwhp) Have you measured your pulley? Have you taken a boost reading while on the dyno? You haven't owned the car since new, so what have you done to assure yourself it's stock?

I'm not ready to believe a stock car is making ~460rwhp on a Dynojet (and about 420rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics), but it's a hell of lot easier to swallow than 487rwhp, stock 55, on a Dyno Dynamics. That is stock 65 V12 territory. I am real curious to see what your car will trap, and even more curious as to what you've done to assure yourself the car is stock.

-m
I actually got a print out of my adjusted numbers with their "SAE SMOOTHING" calculations for the dynojet. 448RWHP/470RWTQ. So, much much less. Still high, but I agree with you, easier to swallow than 487! So, that bring me down to reality a bit more.

I haven't done much to assure that it is stock, other that assume by looking, sounds and hitting the rev limiter at 155mph.

I had some time today to take a few pics of the pulley....it's hard to see, but maybe someone with sharp eyes can point something out:

and reaching, but a pic of a fat cat/copper headers:

and the exhaust is 100% stock, with no x-pipes are custom work:

So, I have no idea. What was peculiar at both dynos was that the first couple runs posted low numbers.....then they got progressively better and better by large amounts. I feel it on certain driving days....sometimes she get's lazy and feels slow. Other times like yesterday after some "excersise", she could break the tires loose at 40mph.

ANYWAY, Trap speeds will come this spring to put this thing to bed.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
I actually got a print out of my adjusted numbers with their "SAE SMOOTHING" calculations for the dynojet. 448RWHP/470RWTQ. So, much much less. Still high, but I agree with you, easier to swallow than 487! So, that bring me down to reality a bit more.

I haven't done much to assure that it is stock, other that assume by looking, sounds and hitting the rev limiter at 155mph.

I had some time today to take a few pics of the pulley....it's hard to see, but maybe someone with sharp eyes can point something out:

and reaching, but a pic of a fat cat/copper headers:

and the exhaust is 100% stock, with no x-pipes are custom work:

So, I have no idea. What was peculiar at both dynos was that the first couple runs posted low numbers.....then they got progressively better and better by large amounts. I feel it on certain driving days....sometimes she get's lazy and feels slow. Other times like yesterday after some "excersise", she could break the tires loose at 40mph.

ANYWAY, Trap speeds will come this spring to put this thing to bed.
Thats all stock.... wow, just wow! those are insane numbers for a stock car!!!! Congrats
Old 02-15-2009, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
A few comments about the dyno.

First, why is there no data showing the TQ going up? What RPMs was the pull done at? You'll notice that when we pull, etc. affects the TQ curve and that is where we get the HP, so I'm just curious.

The step-like changes in A/F look like an older tune, and the car is MUCH leaner than a typical E55k would be. That has lots to do with the pulley, too but my baselines were more like 12:1 down to 10:1 at the higher revs. With the pulley, it was even worse, since the car compensates but dumping fuel.

Last thing, why not pull to redline? I always like to see the rev or speed limitter. It shows if you have a tune or not, too.

Last thing, grab a quick datalogger and look at a few parameters to see if it is tuned. A good one is usually the O2 sensor. If it is off, it is tuned...
Since I was doing the pulls on the dynojet, I think I was punching it after 2500 RPMs. So, that was my bad. As for the redline pulls, I learned from the first dyno that in 4th, it cuts out at 155mph or 5600 rpm. So, I did them in 3rd and got off just before the redline. I'm a wimp.

And I have no idea where to get a datalogger.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
This makes your results much, much more realisitic, except for RWHP being a bit high plenty have seen 470+ RWTO on stock 55's..

I actually got a print out of my adjusted numbers with their "SAE SMOOTHING" calculations for the dynojet. 448RWHP/470RWTQ. So, much much less
Time to update your sig....

Dyno Dynamics - 487WHP 525WTQ
Dyno Jet - 481WHP 505WTQ
Stock pulley, stock headers, K&N's

Last edited by Thericker; 02-15-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by Thericker

Time to update your sig....
Nah, that's what I'm putting down in the Pacific NW, so they stay.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
I dont know.... that doesn't make any sense! 420WHP is a very healthy E55. I had 410WHP on 19" wheels and consider that to be very good and 500HP at the crank. I just can't believe it. You need to run it on a dyno we all ran on lol.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55 AMG
str8ridin, I also live in the Seattle area and was wondering if you want to try the dyno I use. Its in Maple Valley at HorsePower Ranch and happens to be a mustang dyno. I put down 413/463 stock which seems pretty close to what most are doing. If your interested let me know. Here is my printout.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by ryan b
str8ridin, I also live in the Seattle area and was wondering if you want to try the dyno I use. Its in Maple Valley at HorsePower Ranch and happens to be a mustang dyno. I put down 413/463 stock which seems pretty close to what most are doing. If your interested let me know. Here is my printout.

Thanks Ryan b. Honestly, another dyno is not the answer. I just need to take her to the track. Unless there is a group deal on that Mustang dyno. $50 is worth it to see the expression on people's faces when they see what our 4 door family car can do.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Then again, wasn't a mustang dyno said to not be as accurate as a dynojet?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by The Godfather
Then again, wasn't a mustang dyno said to not be as accurate as a dynojet?
That's backwards. Mustang dynos are far more accurate than Dynojets. Mustang dynos are load based and dynojets are inertia
Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
That's backwards. Mustang dynos are far more accurate than Dynojets. Mustang dynos are load based and dynojets are inertia
1. There are load bearing Dynojets - Dynojet 248 and 248x and possibly more that i don't know off the top of my head, 248s are the common in ground ones
2. Just because mustangs read lower does not make them any more accurate

I agree that the inertia based dynojets like the 224 are kind of a waste of time and money.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by prodigymb
1. There are load bearing Dynojets - Dynojet 248 and 248x and possibly more that i don't know off the top of my head, 248s are the common in ground ones
2. Just because mustangs read lower does not make them any more accurate

I agree that the inertia based dynojets like the 224 are kind of a waste of time and money.
The only dynojet that is load bearing is the 224xLC everything else they make is inertial.

The dyno that MB/AMG/BMW/Audi use is the Maha and that's a load bearing dyno. So if you want to make a decent comparison you need to use a load based dyno
Old 02-17-2009, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
The only dynojet that is load bearing is the 224xLC everything else they make is inertial.

The dyno that MB/AMG/BMW/Audi use is the Maha and that's a load bearing dyno. So if you want to make a decent comparison you need to use a load based dyno
hehe i confused the 2 ..... i knew they had some that were load bearing. i believe they also have an allwheel drive version of it too. yeah i know that MB/AMG/BMW/Audi use Maha - I made post about it before here. it didnt seem like anyone heard of it here......kmd in north nj has one. thing with load bearing dynos is that they can be tweaked to deliver numbers by house tuners - therefore a simpel dynojet will do the job to see power gains.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32 AMG sold!
No mentioned about installing a boost gauge or having a datalogger to see
how much PSI it's making?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Thanks Ryan b. Honestly, another dyno is not the answer. I just need to take her to the track. Unless there is a group deal on that Mustang dyno. $50 is worth it to see the expression on people's faces when they see what our 4 door family car can do.
But you already tried that, your experience or launching ability wont make your TRAP SPEED any higher (that is the true litmus test of your cars HP)

112.98 MPH Trap speed is average for your E55, if you get better track-prep/ tires/more-experience down the 1/4 it'll only improve your ET your trap speed will be reduced, unless you mod her..

The plot thickens.....and ugh.....gets really bad and embarrassing.

First, the excuses. This was my first time at the track. I got there at 9am and found myself in line for 3 hours because it rained the night before and they had to dry the track. My temp on the car said about 68 degrees and it was a series a starting and stopping the car for those three hours...enventually letting it idle for 15 minutes before I ran.

My turn FINALLY came and I wanted to keep the car like I always drive it for my first run. Sport 2, S mode and the Contis at stock pressure, taction control OFF. Rolled around the water and no burn-out.

R/T: 1.241
60': 2.549
330: 6.058
1/8: 8.850 @ 88.22
1000: 11.24
1/4: 13.231 @ 112.98

Not only did I FAIL at launching (spun the tires, got off the throttle, got back on, let off, rolled in), and when I finally hooked up, the car just felt slower than normal. Maybe a Johnson Pump in my future?

Eitherway, I didn't want to wait another hour for another run and was really disapointed, so I just left.

Sorry to dissapoint fellas. Back to the dyno for me.

Last edited by Thericker; 02-19-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
Im late to the party....but I just wanted to add my 2 cents...

most stock E55 do make between 400-425rwhp....but they also (as Jangy mentioned) have AFR's in the 10's....This car has an AFR in the 11.5-11.8 range. That alone could be worth 20-30rwhp....puting right in line with ur average E55. As mentioned---the torque is normal for a stock E55----this is because the engine dumps gas at higher rpm. At torque peak---the fuel isnt dumped--thus u get an average reading for torque. As the rpm's climb--the engine tries to dump more fuel----this car is not getting that--thus--more power up top.

Thats what seems logical to me.

The only explainations, i can think of for this are......U have a tune......U have some kink in ur fuel delivery.....ur fuel pump is failing.....

just my 2 cents
Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by Thericker
But you already tried that, your experience or launching ability wont make your TRAP SPEED any higher (that is the true litmus test of your cars HP)

112.98 MPH Trap speed is average for your E55, if you get better track-prep/ tires/more-experience down the 1/4 it'll only improve your ET your trap speed will be reduced, unless you mod her..

Yeah, you are right. But what I want to put to test is the peculiar thing of my car progressively getting stronger and stronger on each pull. For this last dyno, first pull was 421RWHP. Second and third were 436RWHP and 446RWP respectively. We then popped the hood and ran some high speed fans while letting it idle for a few minutes. The next three runs with the fan running were all around the 480+HP/500+TQ.

So, unlike my first time at the track, I want to get more than just one run and spend an entire day at the track to put my curiosity to bed.

I don't know, do you guys ever feel your car get "stronger" after a spirited cruise? Last year, had the privilege of driving a 500 mile mountain cruise with a F40, F430's, 997TT's, GT3's, GT40, CGT etc. etc. and about 100 miles into the trip of aggressive throttle and a many WOT passes, my car turned into a beast. Even my co-pilot noticed. You guys ever notice something like that?

Here is my thread if you are interested...

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...arrera-gt.html

Anyway, please don't take this thread the wrong way. The point of this thread was just to share my experience with the 55/63 community. I'm just posting the numbers that I got and creating an interesting discussion and am learing a lot. That is all.