A few questions before I buy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
A few questions before I buy.

First post here

Anyway, I am looking at buying a used E55 (prob a 2005), and I have a few questions.

*First, The one I have found has the wrong color of wood trim in it, and if I got it, I would like to change it. Is this an easy thing to do? or will I just end up spending a lot of $$ trying to fix it?

*Second, what should I look for when buying? Any particular issues that may take some searching to find, ect ect?.

Also, sorry if this is a repeat thread, sometimes the search just isn't happy with me, Thank you for any information, links, ect.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Venix...you can get all the wood trim refinished via water transfer process. I did it in my car from birds-eye to piano black. They can imitate any wood finish you can think of...

It's relatively inexpensive compared to buying all new trim from MB...a couple of hundred dollars or so.

FROM

TO

Old 10-10-2008, 10:28 AM

N/A
Did you do the entire trim or just some of it?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Venix
Did you do the entire trim or just some of it?
All of it...
Old 10-10-2008, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
Originally Posted by AMGfan
All of it...
who did it, and how do you do it? Thats pretty neat, did not know.

and a couple hundred bucks, wow.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM

N/A
Do you have pics of the main panel?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
First post here

Anyway, I am looking at buying a used E55 (prob a 2005), and I have a few questions.

*First, The one I have found has the wrong color of wood trim in it, and if I got it, I would like to change it. Is this an easy thing to do? or will I just end up spending a lot of $$ trying to fix it?

*Second, what should I look for when buying? Any particular issues that may take some searching to find, ect ect?.

Also, sorry if this is a repeat thread, sometimes the search just isn't happy with me, Thank you for any information, links, ect.
Sorry to get away from the niceties of interior trim, you must get a MB
warranty with the car. I bought a S600 privately and even had a main dealer
multi point check, but 3 weeks later the gearbox went. Mercedes did pay half
but I still had to pay over 5 grand to sort it out. This would have all been covered if I had bought from a main dealer.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:18 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by sound 8
Sorry to get away from the niceties of interior trim, you must get a MB
warranty with the car. I bought a S600 privately and even had a main dealer
multi point check, but 3 weeks later the gearbox went. Mercedes did pay half
but I still had to pay over 5 grand to sort it out. This would have all been covered if I had bought from a main dealer.

Just to get what your saying better, do you wish you had bought a car with a warrenty, or just got a car from a dealer with a garentee if it breaks for a short period of time.

Im planning not to resell the car, so at some point it wont have any warrenty and I dont mind. I just like to own a car forever if I can.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
AMG Fan can I get the name of the company that did your trim?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We had a third party painter do the trim...you can call my installer Jason @ Carisma Audio (813-843-1149) to get details. His shop is out of St. Petersburg, Florida.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:06 PM

GT-R
Just to get what your saying better, do you wish you had bought a car with a warrenty, or just got a car from a dealer with a garentee if it breaks for a short period of time.

Im planning not to resell the car, so at some point it wont have any warrenty and I dont mind. I just like to own a car forever if I can.
I would not recommend owning this car without a warranty...in fact 90% of the people on here wouldn't either. Repairs are extremely costly and an aftermarket warranty is relatively inexpensive.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NXtremeJeep
I would not recommend owning this car without a warranty...in fact 90% of the people on here wouldn't either. Repairs are extremely costly and an aftermarket warranty is relatively inexpensive.
Another sensible owner, if I had a choice between a favorite colour privately
with no warranty and a dealer car with maybe my second choice but with
warranty I would go for the dealer. You can also extend your warranty when it runs out. I done this with my CL65 , I wanted black but they were all private, so I bought grey from a dealer. It turns out that now I prefer grey and the light tan with maple wood interior is gorgeous. However over the first 2 months I had replaced complete headlight, 2 new svc pumps,brokem air con,
new cigar lighter ( big job ) as well as some smaller things ,all under warranty.
I think these cars stand around at dealers for months sometimes, and things stop working if you don't use em.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by sound 8
Another sensible owner, if I had a choice between a favorite colour privately
with no warranty and a dealer car with maybe my second choice but with
warranty I would go for the dealer. You can also extend your warranty when it runs out. I done this with my CL65 , I wanted black but they were all private, so I bought grey from a dealer. It turns out that now I prefer grey and the light tan with maple wood interior is gorgeous. However over the first 2 months I had replaced complete headlight, 2 new svc pumps,brokem air con,
new cigar lighter ( big job ) as well as some smaller things ,all under warranty.
I think these cars stand around at dealers for months sometimes, and things stop working if you don't use em.
There are privately owned MB's out there for sale that are still under warranty.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, buying a used MB warranty is first choice.
As bobgodd says, if there is one privately owned with MB warranty, go
for it. In the UK warranty is for 3 years.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 PM

N/A
I may have found an 04' with a nice warranty. Does anyone know the exact differances between an 04' and 05'? The gauge PC looks to be in grey scale instead of blue/ish, and thats about all I can see.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Others here don't necessarily agree,

but I don't think the MB warranty is all that great a value. Personally, I have had better experience with Zurich and Fidelity. of course, YMMV.
BTW, I have an 05 FS, but it is a wagon, which may not be what you have in mind. Remarkable rare car. There is a brief post about it by wish4e55 wagon a few down.
BTW, the 05, IMHO, is a much better way to go. Less gremlins, particularly electronic.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:42 PM

N/A
Yeah, not looking for a wagon, but tyvm for the offer =).
Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 PM

N/A
Does anyone know how much the pull 2006 pedal kit runs? The one that includes all 4 pieces from MB. I believe its the Accel, Brake, E-Brake, foot rest.

Also, what would it take to install the parktronic system?