It's time!! VRP700 VS MHP. Tuner showdown at Sacto. 10/25/08

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
Any and all mods put undue stress on a vehicle. I think most of us realize the risks involved when we mod our cars, at least I do. To be honest I suprised I have not snapped and axle or chewed up my rear-end yet. Anyone that believes there is ANY high performance mod that is 100% as safe as stock is living in fantasyland!

I obviously don't mind being the guinea pig, somebody has to do it

+1
I dont mind being a guinea pig either as long as i acheive more power and am (hopefully) on the cutting edge of doing things not many others have attempted on our setups. Something break....oh well....money usually fixes that.

Gotta pay to play with any car....give me more HP and TQ(without spraying)!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any and all mods put undue stress on a vehicle. I think most of us realize the risks involved when we mod our cars, at least I do. To be honest I suprised I have not snapped and axle or chewed up my rear-end yet. Anyone that believes there is ANY high performance mod that is 100% as safe as stock is living in fantasyland!

I'm certainly aware of the possible risks involved with modding, however, the point I was making is that no one really has any idea how an aggressive ECU/TCU will affect various components. Some people have 100k miles on pulley's, but others have pulley's that have been destroyed in 20k miles. Some take the risk with NOS, others won't touch it.

I've been burned by buying a hot new product that was touted as the next big thing, and it's cost me money. I take a wait and see approach now. If you want to experiment, and replace a broken axle, damaged transmission, or possibly an engine then that's your choice.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by indyjoe
If you want to experiment, and replace a broken axle, damaged transmission, or possibly an engine then that's your choice.
Every part has a limit. Once you make a certain amount of power you exceed that limit and stuff breaks. You just upgrade. Its part of the process. Otherwise you are limited to your weakest link. Doesnt matter if you can make 1000wtq if your axles can only take 500wtq etc etc
Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63

This is true, but it certainly isn't a case of all mods having the potential to do equal damage. The guy who throws headers on his car or an upgraded cooling system isn't putting equal strain as the guy who adds more boost, or changes the ECU.

You like to push the limits of your car.. great! Not everyone wants to push the envelope all the way. What MHP doesn't seem to put out there in his posts (although I'm sure he understands it) is that there are many versions of "best". What is best for you (max performance) might not be the same as best for a daily driver (increased performance, with more reliability or safety built in).

If all Andy is currently dealing with (at least as advertised in these forums) is ECU & TCU software. There is certainly a limit on what you can do with software and the closer to the edge you get, the higher the risk of damage to your car. Damage can be instant or it can just be a reduced lifespan of the engine.

Me personally, I enjoy "mild". I'd rather do several "small" mods, than one extreme one. Reliablilty is a factor, the higher the performance, the lower the reliabilty... I'm not saying that MHP is blowing engines, I'm saying that they are wearing them faster, or running closer to the edge than many prefer. When people question anything about his stuff, he blows up into a huge internet douche & just has to keep putting his 0.02 in. Every thread that mentions MHP is suddenly "his" thread. Guess what, the beginning of this thread had just as much to do with VRP as it did MHP. Andy is just a tad obsessive/possessive of his status as "tuning god" and thinks that being a sponsor gives rights to do as he pleases.

I'm not blaming him for the downfall of this forum, but he is a contributer with his generally hostile attitude.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Every part has a limit. Once you make a certain amount of power you exceed that limit and stuff breaks. You just upgrade. Its part of the process. Otherwise you are limited to your weakest link. Doesnt matter if you can make 1000wtq if your axles can only take 500wtq etc etc
That's my point. Some people push the edge, and if something breaks then they replace it. Others wait to see how the product holds up over time. I'm part of the wait and see crowd, but I appreciate and applaud those that experiment and push the envelope.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I'm sure Andy would be happy to take your car and detune it and have it last even longer! Andy I just thought of a new branch of MHP!!! You can decrease hp/tq and increase mpg and longevity!!! You can call it MHP GREEN!!! I want 60% of profits
Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
That's my point. Some people push the edge, and if something breaks then they replace it. Others wait to see how the product holds up over time. I'm part of the wait and see crowd, but I appreciate and applaud those that experiment and push the envelope.
Just remeber, it can always be fixed or replaced when it breaks, just make sure you replace it with a better and stronger part. I am not one to sit by and let the world pass me by. If it where not for risk takers like me and Andy none of you would have any aftermarket parts available for their cars, no matter how subtle or extreme. Remember, Andy was the first one to put one of his tunes on his BRAND NEW 2009 C63, that should tell you somthing about his confidnece in reliability. Believe me, I have made mistakes on mods in the past, countless blown rear ends, blown engines, holed pistons, blown turbos, blown transmissions, I have done it all. I've just been lucky so far on this one. My only complaint with this car is I keep going through tires
Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM

I'm sure Andy would be happy to take your car and detune it and have it last even longer! Andy I just thought of a new branch of MHP!!! You can decrease hp/tq and increase mpg and longevity!!! You can call it MHP GREEN!!! I want 60% of profits
I know you're trying to be funny (and failing), but that's at least one good thing about the tune is (my understanding) that he can custom tune to be more or less aggressive. Plus, the factory tune is very conservative (in the C), so there's room to play.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I know you're trying to be funny (and failing), but that's at least one good thing about the tune is (my understanding) that he can custom tune to be more or less aggressive. Plus, the factory tune is very conservative (in the C), so there's room to play.
No I really want 60%
Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
No I really want 60%
haha, classic
Old 10-27-2008, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
... If it where not for risk takers like me and Andy none of you would have any aftermarket parts available for their cars, no matter how subtle or extreme...
do you guys have a statue I can pay homage to or is there a towel you might have used on the treadmill at the gym that anyone is selling on ebay that you would sign for me...
Old 10-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Sounds like a tune for Liberals.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by chiromikey
do you guys have a statue I can pay homage to or is there a towel you might have used on the treadmill at the gym that anyone is selling on ebay that you would sign for me...
How about the Shroud of Naperville....with his sweaty image in the towel?

Tom
Old 10-27-2008, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
r= recombanant
right anwser wrong spelling "Recombinant" is the correct spelling
I just looked at it on my box of rDNA thats the only way I would know how to spell it.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Actually I laughed and thought it was a good one.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
right anwser wrong spelling "Recombinant" is the correct spelling
I just looked at it on my box of rDNA thats the only way I would know how to spell it.
Amazing that you posted a spelling correction, simply amazing coming from someone that has absolutely hacked the English language for the last several years since I have been reading posts here. Hey, I'm only kidding you 'bro.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:03 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
you're a newcomer so you have no idea. up until just a few short months ago, this was one of the most respectable and peaceful places to visit. i used to hang out at several forums...srt8, bmw, et all and you're right about those...they were no different than the mustang, corvette, or any other car forum with the amount of bs you had to wade through. unfortunately now we're just another b*tch fest like all the rest. sad!
Guess it's just a sign of the times - all things change and/or evolve/devolve - nothing remains static forever. If you don't like it then perhaps you should go somewhere else or start your own forum and limit free speech.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Received 516 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Haha...........Ahmad, funniest post I've ever seen from you.

Wow, a scientist with a sense of humor. Go figure.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by LZH
Guess it's just a sign of the times - all things change and/or evolve/devolve - nothing remains static forever. If you don't like it then perhaps you should go somewhere else or start your own forum and limit free speech.
Are you another "affiliate" of MHP?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:32 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by sack5000
Are you another "affiliate" of MHP?
Not affiliated with MHP in any way, shape or form. I just believe they have a great product and only time will tell just how good it really is. Sure, Andy can be a bit brash...but not any more so than any of the other guys on here and he gets his point across without using vulgarities like I have seen from some of the same members who are complaining about him. I think the problem is simply the fact that Andy has inundated the board with posts in his short time here. He is free to do whatever he likes. Personally, I find it quite entertaining.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 PM

E55
I feel like I was the only member with more than 6 posts to put my 2 cents in so.....

Old 10-27-2008, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Rock
Haha...........Ahmad, funniest post I've ever seen from you.

Wow, a scientist with a sense of humor. Go figure.
+1 I was thinking the same thing when i read his posts...
LoL with Ahmad, not at.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by TMC M5
I didn't realize you were working from Eastern Europe today...

Tom
Picked up my new (~8 YO really) pup today. Just got back about an hour ago.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
What I'm referring to is that given how the ECU/TCU is tuned (very aggressive by your own words) is that it might cause component failure in time. Who knows? I, for one, wouldn't want to be a guinea pig (early adopter).
Very aggressive? First and foremost all our tunes are safe. The quickest/easiest way to put ourselves out of business is by losing a motor, as such we never risk durability/longevity for a couple extra horses.

I'll be honest, I don't know how ECU tuning works, but I do know that most tuning companies offer a similar ECU tune. I also know that at least two companies are working on TCU tuning. I guess we'll see if they'll be able to offer something similar.
Several other companies offer an ECU tune, but none like us. No one else in the world does TCUs for 7As either. Frankly I'd love to see a comparison of our TCUs vs anyone else that does them for the WA5As. Maybe one day...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
you're a newcomer so you have no idea. up until just a few short months ago, this was one of the most respectable and peaceful places to visit. i used to hang out at several forums...srt8, bmw, et all and you're right about those...they were no different than the mustang, corvette, or any other car forum with the amount of bs you had to wade through. unfortunately now we're just another b*tch fest like all the rest. sad!
I've been lurking for years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's time!! VRP700 VS MHP. Tuner showdown at Sacto. 10/25/08