It's time!! VRP700 VS MHP. Tuner showdown at Sacto. 10/25/08

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
RE: all of MHP's posts in this thread: IBTL

RE: Jim's posts, sucks you ran into troubles with the MHP tune. Hope you enjoyed your Cali trip nonetheless!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by MHP
We're going to start a PayPal fund to get you to MIR Jangy. Seriously. I'll throw in the first $100.
I'm in, I'll pay $250...hell, I might just send one of my trucks to the California/Nevada state line to pick up his car just to shut him up once and for all. If I have to wait until January to shut him up (with my car), so be it...I just hope he does not conjur up with another one of his now infamous excuses as to why he can't race me in January
Old 10-26-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
lol
Old 10-26-2008, 11:01 AM

2006 E55
I skipped past all of the bickering between the parties. Its getting old.

Bummer that your efforts did not yield the long anticipated comparision.

IMHO having MHP enter the tuning game will raise the bar for all.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:24 AM
hbr

'05 E55 on ADV1s
Originally Posted by MHP
No doubt, we sucked *** tonight.
OT: Our O line blows............
Old 10-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Do you really think that would be funny???

No I don't, especially since Jackpro is a friend. But, it still doesn't change the fact that some testing is needed with any major tu ne regardless of how awesome it is.

I am sure there is an explanation for what happened...and it will be figured out.... speculating or taking shots at people isn't very productive.

Tom
I didn't realize we were here to be productive.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Jim you are crazy bro. Why didnt you call me? You could of stayed at my new house that is still empty or even here at this one. I also should of just went out there I should of know you would be there.
Sorry to hear it was a trip with no anwsers but oh well.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
I don't see anything wrong with using Powerchip, they have been in the tuning business since 1991 and I haven't heard a single negative thing about their tunes. Do a search on this forum, everyone who has powerchip is happy with their tunes, which cannot be said about any other tuner (even Renntech and Kleemann). Remember that EVOSport uses their tunes as well, not just VRP.
Thats because every post gets deleted within 24 hrs by powertech I've seeen at least a dozen since I joined these forums.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Powerchip Review

Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
I don't see anything wrong with using Powerchip, they have been in the tuning business since 1991 and I haven't heard a single negative thing about their tunes. Do a search on this forum, everyone who has powerchip is happy with their tunes, which cannot be said about any other tuner (even Renntech and Kleemann). Remember that EVOSport uses their tunes as well, not just VRP.
Those two statements are incorrect. I've read many negative reviews of the Powerchip tune. And among them, I actually (personally) know 5 of the members who had problems with their tunes and were eventually very un-happy with it. To be fair though, there are many people who are 100% happy with their Powerchip tunes and have had no problems with it.

To be fair, I haven't heard any bad reviews of the VRP spec'ed version of the Powerchip tune, and people who have it are 100% satisfied with it.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 10-26-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-26-2008, 02:24 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
After further discussing the situation with Dave for the past few hours we really can't see this being anything other than a hardware issue--there is both hardware and software inside an ECU. If the software was bad (we only manipulate software, not hardware) the car wouldn't have run at all after initial installation--it's not something that can all of a sudden just go bad. I know for a fact that it ran and ran well according to Jim in Utah immediately after install. We also live test all our cal's before shipping to ensure they're in working order, Jim's passed with flying colors just like all the rest.
There are many ways a control unit can be damaged by removal/swapping including both electrically (not disconnecting the battery causing a spike which can ruin a cal instantly) and physically speaking as they are rather sensitive computers.
The part we really don't understand is why the seal was broken on the ECU. We don't open the ECUs up, so it makes even less sense for one of our customers to.

Regardless we will examine the ECU as soon as Jim gets it to us, but again we don't expect to find anything wrong with the cal itself. Point being, hardware issues are not the same as software issues.

Thanks

Last edited by MHP; 10-26-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 PM
hbr

'05 E55 on ADV1s
Originally Posted by MHP

NP on breaking the seal Jim, at the track you gotta do what ya gotta do. Thanks again for putting the time and effort into the attempted test, again we'll do whatever possible to get you back in the game with more power and better drivability than ever before.

Thanks
Andy

Originally Posted by MHP
The part we really don't understand is why the seal was broken on the ECU. We don't open the ECUs up, so it makes even less sense for one of our customers to.

Thanks

hmm...
Old 10-26-2008, 03:00 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hbr
hmm...
It's his ECU, he can do what he wants to it, but the more we think about it the less sense it makes.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:01 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
However, I haven't heard any bad reviews of the VRP spec'ed version of the Powerchip tune.
Is there any difference between vendors that use PC tuning?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by MHP
Is there any difference between vendors that use PC tuning?
The standard Powerchip tune is different than the VRP spec'ed tune. The VRP tune was customized on the dyno (Jangy's car) under Vadim's supervision. The tune was developed exclusively for VRP to work in harmony with VRP's performance parts (pulley, headers, throttle body, etc....), and I think took over a month of custom calibration. So far, there has not been a negative review of the VRP spec'ed tune what so ever

I'm not an expert in car tuning, but I'm guessing the base tune may be somewhat similar to Powerchip's

Last edited by MB_Forever; 10-26-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by MHP
...The part we really don't understand is why the seal was broken on the ECU. We don't open the ECUs up, so it makes even less sense for one of our customers to...
Originally Posted by MHP
It's his ECU, he can do what he wants to it, but the more we think about it the less sense it makes.
wow andy...that's REALLY not fair to jim for you to insinuate and post something like that. you're doing exactly what you complained about vrus doing.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by MHP
lol nice, start to accuse the customer now...
Old 10-26-2008, 04:10 PM
hbr

'05 E55 on ADV1s
Originally Posted by MHP
Pardon my ignorance, but what else could be gained from opening the ECU, if only to be sure the internals weren't damaged on his trip to CA?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:13 PM

G55
Sounds more like a hardware issue rather than software. If it was the tune/map; then it should be working again back @4300ft - which I assume it is not.

Maybe Jim also came to the conclusion that somehow hardware was involved and opened up the unit to see if there is something obviously bad. I at least would have probably done the same.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out what went wrong - I'd recommend not to accuse anyone at this point until someone finds the problem with the ECU and then based on that knowledge look for the culprit.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Boy 10 hrs is a long time to think about what happened.

Talked to some buddies of mine that race but not Benz's and while describing what happened, they all were just as lost as me. They did say the same thing though that it's weird the car ran strong up here, then freaked when started down there. Just plugged it in one last time up here and same result. Car redlines until you shut it off.

When I brought this next idea up to them, they certainly said it was a possibility. The ECU that Andy tuned was my old timer. They started laughing when I went through the list of tunes that have been on that sucker all requiring the chip to be removed and resoldered.

First one was old Oliver at SpeedtuningUSA who was removing the chips and resoldering in the back of an old trailer
Then Cory at Klee
Then wonder Adam at Eurorape who was just lost and was about to send it to Germany, then mysteriously "figured it out" only to have the car through ESP's all over the place.
Then it went back to Cory who flashed her for the first time I think without removing Chip....I think????
Then finally to Andy

Quite a lot of ripping and soldering for the old gal. Also noticed a tiny bit of corrosion on the prongs that I have no idea how got there which was cleaned at the track. (it was between 2 prongs so possible connection and short made?)

Just some ideas. Sending it back to Andy Monday.

Wow, what a weekend. Started seeing weird stuff on the road at about 4am this morning. How come when you hallucinate on the road, it's never a hot blonde in a thong.

Hi Hammer, Hammer Jr and Andrew!!! Great meeting you guys!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
glad you made it home safely jim! maybe this will give you more incentive to make it out here in december.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:13 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
wow andy...that's REALLY not fair to jim for you to insinuate and post something like that. you're doing exactly what you complained about vrus doing.
No, we are doing nothing of the sort. It was a fair question based on the info given at the time. I never accused Jim of anything, just wondered why he would open up the ECU at the track.
After speaking with him the answer was obvious and we can pretty much say without even seeing the unit itself there was a hardware failure.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:14 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by The Godfather
lol nice, start to accuse the customer now...
Have you ever contributed anything positive to this forum or do you post merely to generate additional unecessary drama?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:17 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Boy 10 hrs is a long time to think about what happened.

Talked to some buddies of mine that race but not Benz's and while describing what happened, they all were just as lost as me. They did say the same thing though that it's weird the car ran strong up here, then freaked when started down there. Just plugged it in one last time up here and same result. Car redlines until you shut it off.

When I brought this next idea up to them, they certainly said it was a possibility. The ECU that Andy tuned was my old timer. They started laughing when I went through the list of tunes that have been on that sucker all requiring the chip to be removed and resoldered.

First one was old Oliver at SpeedtuningUSA who was removing the chips and resoldering in the back of an old trailer
Then Cory at Klee
Then wonder Adam at Eurorape who was just lost and was about to send it to Germany, then mysteriously "figured it out" only to have the car through ESP's all over the place.
Then it went back to Cory who flashed her for the first time I think without removing Chip....I think????
Then finally to Andy

Quite a lot of ripping and soldering for the old gal. Also noticed a tiny bit of corrosion on the prongs that I have no idea how got there which was cleaned at the track. (it was between 2 prongs so possible connection and short made?)

Just some ideas. Sending it back to Andy Monday.

Wow, what a weekend. Started seeing weird stuff on the road at about 4am this morning. How come when you hallucinate on the road, it's never a hot blonde in a thong.

Hi Hammer, Hammer Jr and Andrew!!! Great meeting you guys!
Thank you for giving me a call and making this post to clarify Jim, I realize it was a long *** weekend for you. I'll call my dealer on Mon and see what I can do for you regarding getting you a new non whored out ECU. Your TCU will arrive this week as well.

Thanks again

Andy
Old 10-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Stay Tuned for Next week for the Rematch!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Damn Jim, your ECU sounds like a *****........is there anyone that hasn't been inside of her?

Andy, will you have a tuned E55 running at MIR?

Edit: Jim please give me the $$$$ amount you have in your car. I'm thinking $160,000 - $170,000.

Last edited by Rock; 10-26-2008 at 06:58 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's time!! VRP700 VS MHP. Tuner showdown at Sacto. 10/25/08