W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increased Air intake to the Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
headlight intakes were planned in CLS CONCEPT

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
: What was MB thinking?

somebody there was thinking right when dealing with the CLS CONCEPT

... unfortunately he didn't prevail

Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog
I was thinking about doing this myself... looking to extend the airflow pipes down into the bottom section of the bumper by the fog lights or the center mesh, much like you see on some BMWs
I had FunKtion Auto try this and they said there was no room, the removed the plastic bottom pan piece and search for space and decided it was a no go.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Its even worse on the CLK. Not only is the grille blocked off on both sides, the hood closes directly in front of both inlets! What was MB thinking?

If someone local doesn't mind losing their high beams and having holes in their headlights I can try to make them the same setup as mine. Get before/after dynos and 1/4 numbers. If you guys just want dyno numbers I can probably get that done pretty soon. One pull with stock inlet location (hood closed) and one with headlight intakes
How much would it cost to go back? Cost of 2 high beams? Do you know what that is? How do you pass state inspection? VA would fail me.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by e55 baller
How much would it cost to go back? Cost of 2 high beams? Do you know what that is? How do you pass state inspection? VA would fail me.
On the CLK the headlights are one piece, I'm assuming the E55 is the same MD only has an inspection once, when you buy the car... thats it
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog
As I was in my garage poking around my engine, looking at the 2 bilateral intake tubes and their location it got me thinking….

Would increased airflow increase power??? In theory it makes sense….
Hi guys,

I have much experience when it comes to intake air volume and pressure. I have built a number of vehicles (N/A and F/I) and testing (utilizing dynometer and differential pressure gauges). Normally aspirated vehicles benefit significantly from "ram-air" style intake systems, where as supercharged vehicles come a close second. Turbo charged vehicles have minimal gains due to the non-linearity of the drive source and output (they just spool faster when intake pressure in order to maintain output pressure), where as a supercharger's RPM is linear to that of the engine RPM (obviously). This is why superchargers are often used in aircraft, as the intake pressure change is very dramatic relative to altitude and the use of a turbo would result in over-spooling at high altitudes and blowing up (without proper management systems).

Point being: A supercharged engine is very similar to that of N/A engine, where its output is greatly influenced by intake pressure, opposed to that of a turbocharged motor. A supercharged engine just multiplies what is available, so it is important to give it a good foundation to build on.

Originally Posted by jangy
I can attest to the car running stronger with the grill taken off. i dunno if that is restriction or RAM air, but maybe the two go a little hand in hand.
As for the pressure system at the grill, I have performed this experiment on a similar vehicle, measuring pressure in-front and behind at speed. Not the same vehicle, but the concept remains the same. The results very much surprised me, where we found a significantly higher pressure OUTSIDE the front grill than behind it. This would EASILY lead me to believe the claim of at least 1/10 of a second in the quarter mile.

Anyway, I think I should dig up these gauges and see what's really going on... When I find some time, I'll post.

Last edited by tylersphile; 05-04-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by dyno
somebody there was thinking right when dealing with the CLS CONCEPT

... unfortunately he didn't prevail

They may have found out the air turbulence did more harm than good.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Originally Posted by tylersphile
Hi guys,

I have much experience when it comes to intake air volume and pressure. I have built a number of vehicles (N/A and F/I) and testing (utilizing dynometer and differential pressure gauges). Normally aspirated vehicles benefit significantly from "ram-air" style intake systems, where as supercharged vehicles come a close second. Turbo charged vehicles have minimal gains due to the non-linearity of the drive source and output (they just spool faster when intake pressure in order to maintain output pressure), where as a supercharger's RPM is linear to that of the engine RPM (obviously). This is why superchargers are often used in aircraft, as the intake pressure change is very dramatic relative to altitude and the use of a turbo would result in over-spooling at high altitudes and blowing up (without proper management systems).

Point being: A supercharged engine is very similar to that of N/A engine, where its output is greatly influenced by intake pressure, opposed to that of a turbocharged motor. A supercharged engine just multiplies what is available, so it is important to give it a good foundation to build on.

As for the pressure system at the grill, I have performed this experiment on a similar vehicle, measuring pressure in-front and behind at speed. Not the same vehicle, but the concept remains the same. The results very much surprised me, where we found a significantly higher pressure OUTSIDE the front grill than behind it. This would EASILY lead me to believe the claim of at least 1/10 of a second in the quarter mile.

Anyway, I think I should dig up these gauges and see what's really going on... When I find some time, I'll post.

If this is true, you're gonna see a lot of E55's wth mesh grills running around!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
i removed the two small plastic parts infront of the intake, behind the grill, since the first day >< i thought it will allow more air to flow inside.