W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple Questions For Those of You with ELM's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huracan. S63. CL63. E55.
Couple Questions For Those of You with ELM's?

Hey guys,

So I just had my Renntech ELM installed a few days ago. Thank you VERY MUCH to James@ACG for doing an amazing job on the install. Looking at the car you cannot even tell it is there, very good work.

My questions are:

Do you usually have the factory settings on "Comfort" or one of the two "Sport" Airmatic settings?

Is there an advantage to one of these specific factory settings?

For the guys with Renntech ELM's, what settings are you guys riding on? I have read something like 3 in the front and 4 in the back is a pretty popular ride height...any insight would be much appreciated.

Also, any tips as far as using the module frequently? Can I turn it off daily if I wanted and nothing would be affected?

I'm putting my new wheels on the car on Monday and at that point I'm going to try to pick a setting I am happy with, then get the car aligned at this setting so I'm not wearing the tires unevenly.

Any other suggestions/advice is truly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

Best,

Mark
Old 11-22-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55 AMG
I usually leave mine in sport 2 because the car is at it's absolute lowest point. My set up consists of 1's on the front and 4 on the back. I also installed it under the cup holder which makes changing the settings on the fly super easy.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
I have a version 2 and leave the factory airmatic in "Comfort" mode. Using the Renntech remote control, for normal driving I have the front dropped 1.0" and rear 0.75". With the remote, I can adjust the settings or turn it off or on at any time.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:58 PM

2007 E63
I have version 2 but i did not get the remote. I like my car only slightly lower with none of the tire tucked up into the wheel wells so I go 7 in the rear and 5 up front. I mostly ride in sport 1.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:34 PM

Huracan. S63. CL63. E55.
Thanks guys...looks like a lot of different settings so far. I too have mine installed under the cup holder so changing settings is a dream.

So of the three posts to the thread so far everyone has their factory settings at a different spot (comfort, sport 1, sport 2)....is there a preferred setting or is strictly objective?

Also, did any of you guys get your fenders rolled after having the module installed? I'm putting on my 19's tomorrow and would like to know if rolling the fenders is necessary??

Best,

Mark

Last edited by mchapparone; 11-23-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:24 PM

Huracan. S63. CL63. E55.
Okay...so for the time being I've decided to set my rears at 7 and fronts at 5. Not too low, takes out the gap without tucking the tires.

I got the car aligned this morning and had the alignment shop set the toe on the front wheels. They told me (and you can obviously see it) that I still have a pretty big negative camber and my tires are most likely going to wear on the inside edges.

They said I could add the Mercedes Camber bolts but that would only help about 1/2 a degree on each side, not enough to make a real difference.

Could you guys shed some light on this? I don't feel like straightening out my front knuckles to fix my negative camber.

Your help is appreciated.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Setting the toe really helps more than you would think. The crash bolts are good for up to 1 degree, MAX. Sometimes you wish we had McPherson Struts...
Old 11-25-2008, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
i have the renntech ELM and drive always in Sport 2 unless on hwy then I tend to put in sport 1.
I drive with my front set to 1 and my rears set to 3. I like it low. Alignment is all within spec. Recent set of Toyo R888s I wore through all summer were very even so not trouble there.
The low center of gravity feels nice as the car tends to handle better with less body roll around corners.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
i have the renntech ELM and drive always in Sport 2 unless on hwy then I tend to put in sport 1.
I drive with my front set to 1 and my rears set to 3. I like it low. Alignment is all within spec. Recent set of Toyo R888s I wore through all summer were very even so not trouble there.
The low center of gravity feels nice as the car tends to handle better with less body roll around corners.
even your camber?

my dealer told me not to bother with the bolts. They said the price to have them installed wouldnt justify the gains.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 PM

Huracan. S63. CL63. E55.
Originally Posted by jangy
Setting the toe really helps more than you would think. The crash bolts are good for up to 1 degree, MAX. Sometimes you wish we had McPherson Struts...
So you do think I should get the bolts? I get my alignment work done at Clarence as well and they said the bolts probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

This sure is different then just adding a camber kit with a set of coilovers like I did on my M3 lol...that suspension set-up was dialed in..

I guess I'll just monitor the wear on my inside edges and see if I notice anything out of the ordinary...otherwise it looks like I'll be replacing front tires just as fast as the rears!!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by psk145
even your camber?

my dealer told me not to bother with the bolts. They said the price to have them installed wouldnt justify the gains.
Yeah, I have never seen an E55 dropped that low and still have in spec camber, so maybe freekin got lucky!!
The bolts cost nothing and can be swapped out in 30 minutes (all 4), not that I am recommending them. Just putting your dealer in check. Actually, retail is $200 on the bolts from MB, but you can get others for about $25 .

The more i look into it, the more bending the knuckles / swapping out the arms is the only solution. replacing 2 arms in the rear with adjustable, stronger, and lighter ones gives toe rigidity (under load) and toe and camber adjustment. The front is more complicated and may take 3 arms to be replaced JUST to add camber adjustment. I am leaning towards replacing the rears, since i need to with the newly found power and just bending the front knuckles. Total suspension work would be about $1k and i would be at any spec i want...
Old 11-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by mchapparone
So you do think I should get the bolts? I get my alignment work done at Clarence as well and they said the bolts probably wouldn't make much of a difference.
Honestly, it depends on how **** you are and how negative your current setup is. I had it done and turned to max and I think i got 3/4 of a degree. It helps, but is no savior. I need a real solution and at that point, the bolts will be retarded.

This sure is different then just adding a camber kit with a set of coilovers like I did on my M3 lol...that suspension set-up was dialed in..
Same here, but keep in mind that we were ADDING negative camber in those cars. Unlike the MBs, the BMWs maintain their camber through the suspension travel. That is also why they can have such agressive camber (especially in the rear) when just sitting and not have bad tire wear.

I guess I'll just monitor the wear on my inside edges and see if I notice anything out of the ordinary...otherwise it looks like I'll be replacing front tires just as fast as the rears!!
Open toe should help with evening wear and turn in...... Also, keep in mind that you can dismount and remount some tires from left rim to right rim. We need a good solution for this. I wonder if Clarence would hook us up on a group buy to get custom arm bending? They typically charge over $1k to do it. If we can get a deal, then I'll drop my Renntech ELM to 3 all around and use that as a new mid point.