W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supercharger turning on sound ??? orrrrr ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG Kompressor
supercharger turning on sound ??? orrrrr ?

Hi guys just drove my 2003 e55 komp out of the dealer today
when i hit the throttle as i take off at very low revs i hear a little sound from the engine area like i sharp whistle and then it go's away its a very fast sound my brother said it could be the sound of the supercharger turning on ???? it does sound like some thing turns on not sure what it is lol helpppp

the car feel like it has the problems it pulls hard and sounds great

can my model all so bring up that amg logo on start up if so how do i do it
Old 12-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
The AMG LOGO on the start up is for 04+ E55 AMG's where they had the COMMAND unit. Mine is an 03 also and I upgraded to the EURO COMMAND. I'm not sure if you can do it with the unit that came with the 03's.

If I'm not mistaken...the "sharp whistle" that yer hearing is the supercharger clutch. It's normal. BUT I do hear that if you upgraded to the newest clutch packs (If that's what they are called) then the "sharp whistle" goes away. I personally didn't mind it...

Good luck...
Old 12-23-2008, 03:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
The AMG LOGO on the start up is for 04+ E55 AMG's where they had the COMMAND unit. Mine is an 03 also and I upgraded to the EURO COMMAND. I'm not sure if you can do it with the unit that came with the 03's.

If I'm not mistaken...the "sharp whistle" that yer hearing is the supercharger clutch. It's normal. BUT I do hear that if you upgraded to the newest clutch packs (If that's what they are called) then the "sharp whistle" goes away. I personally didn't mind it...

Good luck...
the car has 56,000k's on it i just got the car and its making that sound so is that sound safe and if the sound dose not go away is it still ok is every thing normal there is no problem with the clutch ?>

Does that new clutch kit give you any more hp or do any thing better ?

Last edited by Ohbev; 12-23-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by Ohbev
the car has 56,000k's on it i just got the car and its making that sound so is that sound safe and if the sound dose not go away is it still ok is every thing normal there is no problem with the clutch ?>
You're good my friend. I had that chirp since I got the car new back in 03...My go to guy recently swapped it out to the new clutch when I got some other engine stuff done so I don't have the chirp anymore. Not that anything was ever wrong with it...car still pulled.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
The chirp is normal. The new clutch pack still does it over time.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
mine did the chirp but no s/c whine...
got new s/c clutch... chirp is gone but i got s/c whine!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
supercharger churp and problem with acceleration

hi guys ive had my 03 e55 amg for a few months now and about a month ago it stated chuping but still no problem wit acc its pulles.

just last week i was driving on the highway and im sure the supercharge cut out which it was befor but come back on after a while.(but this time the power cut and something felt very wrong)

since then when ever i acc hard the car feels kinda like (the spark plugs wires are on wrong) or something like that kinda like a back fire or a putting noise.

it seems serious, has this happend with any of u...
Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by tarekc
hi guys ive had my 03 e55 amg for a few months now and about a month ago it stated chuping but still no problem wit acc its pulles.

just last week i was driving on the highway and im sure the supercharge cut out which it was befor but come back on after a while.(but this time the power cut and something felt very wrong)

since then when ever i acc hard the car feels kinda like (the spark plugs wires are on wrong) or something like that kinda like a back fire or a putting noise.

it seems serious, has this happend with any of u...
It's just your IC pump that has failed. When the IAT's reach a certain point the ECU will pull timing and shut off the kompressor so you don't blow your motor.

Get an updated bosch unit from the dealer or search for the johnson or mezier pumps as a replacement.

It's a problem that has happened to most of us, and it will happen to all at some point.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM

E55 AMG
thanks ic pump and is that something i can install? idea on the price?

i just tried hitting the gas hard again and actully the power does cut right out! but if i drive like a grandma it drive good! will i damage any further, should i get it changed right away?

thanks again
Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM

E55 AMG
sorry is the ic pump in the sc?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM

E55 AMG
also right behind the sc belt pulley there is something that also lookes like a bigger pulley that rotates when the engine is on.
when engine is off should it be easy to turn?? because i can turn mine very easily !!?
thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
In the DIY thread that is stickied at the top, there is a couple threads for doing the pump yourself. It's pretty easy and a new pump is about $130 or so.

When my car was driving like the "spark plug wires were wrong" as you described, my catalytic converters had plugged up and gone bad. At lower speeds it was fine but when I accelerated it would putter and just drive crappy.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
sorry is the ic pump in the sc?
Here's a thread of where the IC pump and heat exchanger are located.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...r-install.html

also right behind the sc belt pulley there is something that also lookes like a bigger pulley that rotates when the engine is on.
when engine is off should it be easy to turn?? because i can turn mine very easily !!?
thanks
That's the SC clutch, and yes you can spin that freely with the engine off.

Just spend some good time doing some research in the stickies above. It will help you immensely
Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM

E55 AMG
nice thnx
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 AM

E55 AMG
HELP !!!!!!!!
hey i just installed my new mb ic pump cuz i thought that was my problem!
my car accelerates fine up to any speed i want as long as i acc slow, sc working fine...
soon as i hit the gas hard i can feel lots of power loss then the sc cuts out and the car start puttin and im scared to drive it!!
is the a fuse or sensor for the ic pump or could my problem be some type of sensor?
any ideas???
THANKS!!!