W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you honestly rather have a 09 CTS-V over the E63???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 AM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
We're going to end up seeing CTS-Vs trapping 128-130mph with full bolt-ons/exhaust, pulley, and tune shortly. For the $ the performance is impressive, but I'd still rather have a C63.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I own a 2006 CTS-V which was/is one of the biggest pieces of garbage I have ever owned. 7 rear-end...yes 7, 3 radiators and lots of other little problems. After the 4th or 5th rear-end they voided my warranty because of my dealer installed cat-back exhaust system. After that I shipped the car off to the boys at Lingenfelter, they made it gobs faster, but more importantly fixed the nagging rear-end problem that Caddy/GM could not seem to fix. I have not driven a new one yet, but the guys at the local dealership keep calling me and telling me to get my butt down there to drive it, but I am not even going to waste my time. I can't see the V being anywhere a nice or good as the E63
Old 12-28-2008, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I own a MY97 993 C2S which is a total slug compared to your AMGs and to the Caddy. But it's the ownership enjoyment and driveability that keeps me in the P-car. I don't think I could ever get that out of the CTS-V no matter the numbers.

I got an E350 as a DD, 'cause I thought a "German Lexus" instead of the real thing would be closer to the road feel I prefer. It wasn't because of the marque. They're a dime a dozen here; it's kind of nice to be anonymous in a car. Although now I sort of wished I had picked up an E63 instead; anonymous but fast......
Old 12-28-2008, 03:11 AM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
I agree on the 8 second civic comment , e63 especially the p30 in silver , it just looks so amg so agressive the car looks like it has the soul , the caddilac is nice but it just cant compete with the benz , even when you think of benz , you think of luxury not sport , but when you think of cadilac you think of government or in the worst case funeral lol , but also the current E class is competing i guess the priveous cts and the upcoming later this year new e63 will compete teh caddi , and it wont have 1 chance , however numbers are impressive and the body styling is not that bad , but not as refind , it's like looking at a $10 and a $500 shoe , it may have same shape , but quality can make such a huge difference
Old 12-28-2008, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by MikeRPA
I agree on the 8 second civic comment , e63 especially the p30 in silver , it just looks so amg so agressive the car looks like it has the soul , the caddilac is nice but it just cant compete with the benz , even when you think of benz , you think of luxury not sport , but when you think of cadilac you think of government or in the worst case funeral lol , but also the current E class is competing i guess the priveous cts and the upcoming later this year new e63 will compete teh caddi , and it wont have 1 chance , however numbers are impressive and the body styling is not that bad , but not as refind , it's like looking at a $10 and a $500 shoe , it may have same shape , but quality can make such a huge difference
+1

Not only is the quality better, but if you are going to pay that much for a car, wouldn't you rather drive an AMG Mercedes???
Old 12-28-2008, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Bottom line is, MB & AMG need to step up their game! Seriously! Those boys from the "M","RS" & "V" lines are making a ton of noise!
Old 12-28-2008, 03:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E63, 2008 Range Rover Sport, 2010 GLK350
i give props to the new CTS-V but I would take the E63 easily over the CTS-V.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
No one is allowed to have an opinion until they actually go and drive the 2009 CTS-V, otherwise you are all just spouting bull****.

The only valid claim to not getting the CTS-V, at the present time, and without actually driving one... is because of the brand marque.
I wouldn't get one because its a Cadillac/Chevy. I'm a brand ***** and thats the only valid reason anyone can discount the 2009 CTS-V AT THE PRESENT TIME; because for all we know the car will be really nicely put together with good quality interior, etc. No one knows till they see and drive one in person.

Armchair racing/mechanics/reviewers are gay.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:09 AM

somethings better left unsaid ...
Originally Posted by 500eguy
Power is nothing without class and quality, the Mercedes delivers in every single aspect. So i would def. stick to Mercedes, the Cts V does have some crazy power, but a modded e55 would def surprise it.
thank you ..
Originally Posted by The Godfather
It's like a civic that run 8's. Who cares. There's more to a car than speed and numbers. An AMG is a whole package experience. What kind of heritage does a CTS-V have? Exactly.
THANK YOU
Old 12-28-2008, 06:10 AM

somethings better left unsaid ...
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Wow that was really dumb.

Yes I would take the CTS-V over an E63 any day of the week..... The only thing that separates the E63 from a regular E-class that are a dime-a-dozen, is the AMG package, which... Wait for it... Is all about numbers. When you take that into account, the Caddy's numbers are just superior.
that's exactly the point ... it has to have both aspects : performance AND class and refinement. I wouldn't drive a CTS-V despite the reat performance and ALSO wouldn't drive an E 240 even though it's a great car just because it lacks performance ... If you're solely after power why would you be in this forum, you're better off with a Vette .. you are.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 AM

2006 E55
To answer the OP question, not sure. But I would consider the car. I would need to see it in person, drive it, sit in it, etc. before I could "honestly" answer the question. I will say that I would not rule it our just because it's a GM car. I currently have an 2008 Escalade and prior had a Chevy Avalance (need to get my track car to the track) and must say I am rather impressed with GM's recent improvements. To that end, I guess I not a brand ***** so I will certainly consider the CTS-V when shopping.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E63 AMG
GM has yet to build a car with a worth while interior. My Vette is a complete POS on the interior. Granted, I like about everything else on the car. Every American car I have ever owned has lived up to poor quality and crappy interiors. I got a Cadillac DTS once as a loaner and man what a total POS. After driving that car for a few days I swore to myself I would never buy a cadillac. I guess we will all just have to test drive the CTS-V to decide.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Bottom line is, MB & AMG need to step up their game! Seriously! Those boys from the "M","RS" & "V" lines are making a ton of noise!
I agree w everything about your statement, EXCEPT Audi's "RS" series - they have NEVER been known to be fast - good on the track, yes and enjoyable to drive, but not fast..... Even the R8......
Old 12-28-2008, 11:54 AM

GT-R
I actually sat in two different CTS-V's (manual and auto) yesterday as my neighborhood dealership had five of them. Both had the Recaro seats which were very firm and had a great feel to them. The interior as you would suspect was kinda cheap and "plasticky" and did not compare to the E. The engine bay was covered up by the engine cover and hid the blower. The brakes were massive and I think were 2 piece. I liked the wheels although the rear tires could be a little meatier (285/30-19). The front looked very aggressive but I did not dig the rear.

Overall, I think it's a well designed and powerful vehicle. I think the E63/55's attention to detail and quality trump the V. However, I would definitely considering picking up one used in about 2 years for $35-40k as I'm sure time will tell that it's a very capable machine.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fantasm
No one is allowed to have an opinion until they actually go and drive the 2009 CTS-V, otherwise you are all just spouting bull****.

The only valid claim to not getting the CTS-V, at the present time, and without actually driving one... is because of the brand marque.
I wouldn't get one because its a Cadillac/Chevy. I'm a brand ***** and thats the only valid reason anyone can discount the 2009 CTS-V AT THE PRESENT TIME; because for all we know the car will be really nicely put together with good quality interior, etc. No one knows till they see and drive one in person.

A test drive is not going to show squat...I test drove my CTS-V, the rear-end did not break on my test drive, but it broke about 900 miles later, and 1500 miles after that and 1000 miles after that. 4 rear-ends in less than 5000 miles, that is the kind of stuff test drives don't show you...live and learn I guess. I don't care how fast it is or how quick it can lap the ring, if it is going to break in the process it is not on par with an MB or Bimmer. Americans should stick to building semis, pick-ups and SUVS, they can't build anything else worth while. Remeber guys, I owned a new ZR1 a couple months ago, drove it for a few days and flipped it, besides being sick fast it was just another Chevy, might as well have been a Cobalt with it's cheap interior material, fit and finish. The new CTS-V will have the same cheap GM feel as well.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015

+1 First good post
Old 12-28-2008, 12:41 PM

997.2 GT3
The E63 has MB and AMG badges and may have a higher level of refinement than the CTS-V.

The CTS-V is the more serious driver's car. It has an optional 6-speed manual transmission. It's the quickest production 4-door around the Nurburgring. It seems to combine the stump-pulling grunt of the E55 with the handling precision of the M5. This is all before you consider the mod potential of the Caddie.

Which one wins? It depends how much you care about driving againsts how much you value badge prestige. I'd take the Caddie.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by jrcart
Americans should stick to building semis, pick-ups and SUVS, they can't build anything else worth while.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
It depends on what my "other car" was. If I already had a nice sedan- I'd most likely consider the cts-v as the numbers look extremely impressive. All things aside- I've owned a few z06's and other Chevy products in the past and for the money, I really have NOTHING bad to say about them. They did what they were made to do extremely well and I HAVE NEVER had problems with GM vehicles. The old saying goes something like "A Chevy will run better broken then most cars will not broken". I'll stand by that

However if you are looking for the total package- I'd go for the Merc, but your pocket book will feel it as well
Old 12-28-2008, 02:12 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
I saw with my own eyes a '09 CTS-V on the dyno (maybe 6-7 mos ago) laying down 607/605rw with a CAI, medium size pulley and tune. A 1.9L TVS is capable of 650rw with smaller pulley no question. No test drives necessary to be able to determine what they're capable of performance wise.

Last edited by MHP; 12-28-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:20 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jpohl402
ROFLMAO.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Totally Agree!

Originally Posted by MHP
We're going to end up seeing CTS-Vs trapping 128-130mph with full bolt-ons/exhaust, pulley, and tune shortly. For the $ the performance is impressive, but I'd still rather have a C63.
I just picked up a C63 and did not even consider the CTS-V due to it's pending condition after 1 year on the road. It will be a bucket of bolts after the repeated thrashing of hole shots, mods, and poor initial quality. Just look at jcarts post of the long term condition of his CTS-V.

My 2 W211 E55's were like new when I parted with both and I know positively you will not be able to say the same about a 3 year old CTS-V

Phil (really liking m C63)
Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jpohl402
Ford is not taking any government bailout money. You need to change the pic to a GM vehicle and delete the Ford logo at the bottom and then it will be dead-on.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:33 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Read jrcarts post below!

Old 12-28-2008, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/...primary=2&id=1

The interior is not that bad....just my .55

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you honestly rather have a 09 CTS-V over the E63???