W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you honestly rather have a 09 CTS-V over the E63???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 MB E55
To answer the original question HELL YEAH! I've driven and raced (and beaten) a few 63's and honestly I'm really not that impressed. Don't intend to start anything but just my own experience. I truly think there will be 9 sec CTS-V before the end of the year!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:58 PM

Audi S4
For the $, CTS-V over E63 is easy. I like moddability too which is where the E63 falls short. Here's a dyno of the new CTS-V before and after a 2.55 pulley swap/tune

Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by adean1979
For the $, CTS-V over E63 is easy. I like moddability too which is where the E63 falls short. Here's a dyno of the new CTS-V before and after a 2.55 pulley swap/tune
Good grief!
Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 AM

something that can use more power
Ok, I have been following this tread, so what is the question here?
The question is which is a better vehicle to own over all right?
It is not about which is faster stock, which is faster modded, or which is better...american or german.
The question is which car provides more for the money, right?
I say Benz over Caddy any day. The Benz is far superior in refinement, period.
These cars are not about pure speed or performance. Yeah, they are both some of the fastest 4 doors on the market, but that is not the whole story. On these forums, everyone is all about stats and which is faster or has more rwhp on the Dyno. If you want to talk about power and speed, you can say a Civic hatchback with a B18 and a GT35R turbo kit that runs 9's is the best. Yeah it is fast, but it still sucks as an over all package.
I think the Caddy is a great package and is a great step for GM, but it still is a step behind AMG as far as refinement and over all package.

If you dont think so, just go sit in one and grab the passenger seat back and move it around. It has as much play in the seat as a 1992 Pontiac Grand Am GT.
The dash, the door panels, and everything that should be solid has a little play.
GM still has failed in the fit and finish dept. A big V8 and stiff suspension in a enterprise rental car doesnt make for a quality vehicle.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by evoklr
The question is which car provides more for the money, right?
I say Benz over Caddy any day. The Benz is far superior in refinement, period.
Wait. You just asked which car is better for the money, how can you still say the E63 is better when it's quite a bit more expensive? The 63 might indeed be a better car, but you were talking about money.
On these forums, everyone is all about stats and which is faster or has more rwhp on the Dyno.
This is an AMG sub-forum, of course we're talking about which car performs better.
GM still has failed in the fit and finish dept. A big V8 and stiff suspension in a enterprise rental car doesnt make for a quality vehicle.
I will definitely agree with you that a Mercedes is built better than any GM vehicle, but I sure hope it would be at the price-point. I do think you're being a little biased and overly critical here though. The CTS-V is a little more than a "stiff suspension". If the E63 handled as well as the V, everyone on this forum would praise it as the best car ever to hit the road.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:06 AM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
In my personal opinion i wouldnt take the caddy over the MB. Caddy's in my opinion shouldnt be what they are making the CTS-V into... a european car. Caddy's heritage were these big boats with soft seats and a very soft ride.

MB wasnt that, it was about the refinement and feel of the drive, it didnt have a soft cushiony ride like the caddy. But it didnt have numb steering and float around corners either. MB didnt put massive, gutless, and inefficient motors in their cars. GM did with caddy.

Originally Posted by nismorg

Compare the Lexus GS and Infiniti M to a regular E Class and you will find both of those have more gizmos, less road noise and somewhat an updated feel to them. Like they said above, AMG gives the E Class an overall package boost in power and performance but you take that away and there's not a whole lot that seperates the Regular E class from the others. Yeah we can say its a Merc, but Lexus also says the same thing about thier cars.

In my opinion japanese cars dont have the passion and engineering soul thats in german cars. Lexus for the longest time just made lexus vehicles out of toyota's. Theyd take the camry put a bigger engine, quiet it up, put some leather, plastic wood, and remove the toyota camry logo for a lexus ES300 logo. Yuck! Infinity were no different, the G35 is just a 4 seater 350Z.

Where is the passion and over-engineering lunacy? It just doesnt exist on japanese cars. They are just cheap, reliable, and simple japanese cars. The only luxury thing about them is the badge and gadgetry that differ themselves from their economy car counterparts.

For the most part ive always loved european over japanese. Take my motorcylces for an example. My Yamaha R6 is a very reliable and fast sportbike but its a bit boring. My Triumph TT600 on the other hand has more character to it, the engine was flawed in many ways but the ride, framework, styling, and soul just made the bike more enjoyable even with its engine flaws.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 AM

somethings better left unsaid ...
Originally Posted by Timeless
More bad news:

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2009/..._its.html#more

Looks like you better get the high performance GM vehicles while you can.
I even though I hated these cars ... it felt kinda sad really heh ... I really hope things get better soon and they reassemble the team.

doesnt the Corvette come from the same division ? does that mean no more Vettes ??
Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 AM

2004 MB E55
Someone said fit and finish was better in the Benz, well lately it seems my whole interior is falling apart. The plastic peices seem way too brittle. So far my pass. side visor vanity cover broke ,the two little console doorbuttons broke , gone through two cupholders,both underseat storage doors broke, and so on and so on. Not to mention the leather stitching is fraying in the back seat which nobody uses.

Not bad for a $90,000 car huh?

Don't get me wrong I TRULY LOVE my car, just a little bit jaded.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:57 AM

Audi S4
Originally Posted by Ol'School
I even though I hated these cars ... it felt kinda sad really heh ... I really hope things get better soon and they reassemble the team.

doesnt the Corvette come from the same division ? does that mean no more Vettes ??
Read this story - cars like the Camaro SS, Cadillac CTS-V, and Vettes are safe.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/19/2...vo-shuttering/
Old 02-21-2009, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by adean1979
Read this story - cars like the Camaro SS, Cadillac CTS-V, and Vettes are safe.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/19/2...vo-shuttering/
Current versions are safe...future versions are not.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:17 PM

We have an ml63 in the family and I have put down a deposit on a cts-v. I'll tell you one thing. The interior on the V is superior the the ml's. I dont know what the hell happened with merc but it looks like they bit off too much of the chrysler plastic from the old merge.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
i have to agree with the guys who like the CTS-V. you owe it to yourself to at least look at it and then decide if its for you. i was very impressed. different car than a benz but a different price as well. and even if they were the same price the CTS-V is a contender imo.