Help...Car is Slipping bad in higher RPMs under WOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Question Help...Car is Slipping bad in higher RPMs under WOT

I was cruising the other day and decided to get full throttle at about 20 mph, the Mickey Thompsons hooked up as usually...no wheel spin (35 degree weather) and then once the car hit about 4000 rpms I heard a weird noise at the same time the car lost power - the rpms tacked from 4K to redline but there was zero power output.

I was thinking i broke a drive shaft or the supercharger belt slipped or broke. I looked at the car, drove fine normally just crusing lightly but when I went WOT 2 other times same issue. The belt was fine (just replaced 1K miles ago).

What could it be? Any thoughts? It feels like a bad clutch in a manual car but our cars are automatics so I am puzzled.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Could it be the clutch for the pulley/belt? Was that replaced when you replaced the belt?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Maybe sc clutch is slipping, but then again your rpms when to redline so sc clutch may not be the problem.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
) and then once the car hit about 4000 rpms I heard a weird noise at the same time the car lost power - the rpms tacked from 4K to redline but there was zero power output.
Had the same thing happen to me Baller. Cept I was coming around a corner (intersection) and I think I overloaded the tranny and she went limp. It was like a BANG and then car was like in neutral. Pulled over and restarted and it was fine.

Never heard of it happening like what you are saying though.

I'll let some of the experts chime in, but definitely do a tranny adapt reset (sneaky) or battery disconnect to clear any settings that may be messed up.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
had something simular happen to my tranny. dealer replaced. After some events if my RPMs got abover 3500-4000 tranny would slip all the way to redline and wouldnt reengage until rpms went back below that threshold.
Dealer swapped out my tranny and Torque converter.
GL with fixing your ride
Old 01-15-2009, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
sounds like the tranny is slipping.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Uggg...I will try the reset and battery rest and check codes.

i have a kleeman LSD...would that potentially be broken? How much could this issue typically cost and what may be needing replacement? the entire tranny? car is under warranty.

i wonder if the MT's are just too hard on the tranny.

Last edited by e55 baller; 01-15-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by e55 baller
Uggg...I will try the rest and battery rest and check codes.

i have a kleeman LSD...would that potentially be broken? How much could this issue typically cost and what may be needing replacement? the entire tranny? car is under warranty.

How many miles on the car and how often do you stress the driveline? I know we dont consider a WOT run stressful but when you have that kind of power plus drag tires its a matter of time until the trans and diff say adios.

I suspect the clutch packs are worn and slipping badly. I think a new gearbox is in your future. The good news is that you can re-build yours with a stronger version that should take the beating!

The price you pay for doing 11.11 1/4 mile runs in your family grocery getter sedan!

If you calculate the cost per time you smile and run the doors off someone ti seems far more reasonable!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by e55 baller
Uggg...I will try the rest and battery rest and check codes.

I doubt the LSD is broken or has anything to do with the slipping. keep us updated. i hope everything works out.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 PM

2001 clk55 AMG
Sounds like the trans is slipping. If you need a rebuild I highly recommend SouthernHotrod I have one of their transmissions in my car and I love it and it's built to handle some serious horse power...
Old 01-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Sounds like the trans but I hope its not. Try reseting the ECU like mentioned previously. Potomac German has a reman MB trans for like 2500. Or you can do the build like me and Curt from Southern Hot Rod but it costs a prett penny and shifts pretty firm at times. We can go for a spin if you want to see just how firm
Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Sounds like the trans but I hope its not. Try reseting the ECU like mentioned previously. Potomac German has a reman MB trans for like 2500. Or you can do the build like me and Curt from Southern Hot Rod but it costs a prett penny and shifts pretty firm at times. We can go for a spin if you want to see just how firm
The car has 45K miles. I never took off the MT's after I ran the 11.11 last month. I get WOT about 2times per weekend and only thru 2 gears and I only drive it on the weekend.

How much does that potomac German tranny cost? I may roll up your way to check yours you...will PM you. I am going to take it into the shop and see what is "warrantable"

I've had about 2-3K in after market warranty work so far...no issues but this could be bigger....so its either supercharger clutch or tranny...will let you all know, thanks for your assesment.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
have a dealer check your tranny fluid - mine had a problem with stuttering, and it came from a leak between the coolant and the trans cooler (in tank oil cooler). ended up needing to replace radiator and lines, and they flushed out all the coolant and trans fluid. they stated that if I continued to drive with this, it could eventually cook the trans.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
thanks I will have this look at this. One thing that I did notice before the slipping is that my issue the car "falling on its face" under throttle from 1/8th throttle to WOT (feeling is like throttle plate slammed shut for 0.2 sec) seemed to be occurring more frequently. There was about a 4-6 month break from this issue when I had the fluid changed ~6 months back. MBenz though it was too much airflow coming from the 80mm TB or bad K2 software...perhaps its just a precursor to trans issues.

Originally Posted by anerbe
have a dealer check your tranny fluid - mine had a problem with stuttering, and it came from a leak between the coolant and the trans cooler (in tank oil cooler). ended up needing to replace radiator and lines, and they flushed out all the coolant and trans fluid. they stated that if I continued to drive with this, it could eventually cook the trans.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by anerbe
This is not an uncommon issue and is probably the number 1 reason for tranny failures in 55K cars.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Isaac,

My car had the same problem. I've done so many dyno pulls on my car and have done quite a few top end pulls that this past summer I had the same thing happen. The car would slip once it hit 3,500 - 4,000RPM causing the tach to shoot north to 5,500RPM or so.

If I turned the car off or simply coasted for 5min and allowed temps to drop, it would go back to normal. It is not related to tranny fluid. It is just a function of too much torque and rapid wearing of the clutches.

I put a "Bullet Trans" + torque converter in my car which is built to handle over 1000lb/ft.

You are going to be in the same boat. You can rebuild to factory specs, but , in time you will be right back where you are now. You will have to bite the bullet and upgrade the clutch packs and build the trans.

Also, since our cars are pre-05 we dont have the trans cooler so having a good trans cooler on the car is a good idea also.

Good luck!

P.S-> I will address your post about the car "falling on its face" in a separate thread in a few minutes.