W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here drive a GTR? or have opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
You know you want to come back to the AMG crowd....just get a Black series...
Old 01-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by psuball1
I am probably the only person on here that would get the GTR over the M6. I would not say that if I had not seen the GTR in person. I love the M6 but regarding performance it is not on par with the GTR, and the appearance of the GTR is incredible.

I don't agree with the performance being similar to the 997TT. The electro gadgets that the GTR has is by far one of the most advanced cars available. The back seats are actually really roomy and the all around driving feel I would not think would be similar to any 911TT. One of a kind looks, incredible tech and a decent price gives the GTR the win for me.
Thats what I have heard too- very electronic ... thanks!!

Originally Posted by KB122
If you plan on modding, GTR no question. For the money to mod, none of the other cars mentioned will even come close hp gains/performance wise. Good luck either way!
This is probably one of the main reasons Im even considering the car, the mod capabilities and costs...

Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
You know you want to come back to the AMG crowd....just get a Black series...
for sure if I come back to Benz, the BS is the one!!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
I hope this does not come off too intrusive but:

Is there a price range that you are trying to stay within does that not matter?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by Vic55
Well I have a two coupes right now (if you call the 997 a coupe) and truly the 997TT IMHO is a GT car as opposed to a track machine. I also have a Lexus GS350 to compensate for door dings and comfort The 997TT has reached its maximum in mods (for me) but I see the GTR having a better chance to up the power in regards to numbers and dollars than the 997. The HKS570 package will get me 570 AWD hp and I find that intriguing.
A 2-door sports car is what I would call a coupe, and what the 997 tries to play off a back seat does not change that.

Regardless if the GTR is less expensive to get to a higher HP level, it will not eliminate the overlap between it and the 997, they will still be very similar albeit one will be slightly faster. It will not offer contrast like your M6 and 997 offer now.

You may think I am crazy, but I think there are a few American choices out there that may be worth considering. You are obviously a big import fan, but I gotta tell you, driving something like a C6 Z06 makes driving a GTR feel like riding a 60 year old carousel at the local county fair. The Z06 is also incredibly easy to mod, has low and high end grunt, and as far as build quality goes it's not terribly far apart from where a GTR would be.

Someone else had also mentioned the CTS-V... I guess I am thinking that you need some variety, and if you are in fact not brand loyal (IE, buying a Nissan doesn't bother you because it's a Nissan) you should branch out and give some other cars a try. I really enjoyed my Z06. You should also seriously consider a CLK BS.

What kind of trap speed are you gunning for?

-m
Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
A 2-door sports car is what I would call a coupe, and what the 997 tries to play off a back seat does not change that.

Regardless if the GTR is less expensive to get to a higher HP level, it will not eliminate the overlap between it and the 997, they will still be very similar albeit one will be slightly faster. It will not offer contrast like your M6 and 997 offer now.

You may think I am crazy, but I think there are a few American choices out there that may be worth considering. You are obviously a big import fan, but I gotta tell you, driving something like a C6 Z06 makes driving a GTR feel like riding a 60 year old carousel at the local county fair. The Z06 is also incredibly easy to mod, has low and high end grunt, and as far as build quality goes it's not terribly far apart from where a GTR would be.

Someone else had also mentioned the CTS-V... I guess I am thinking that you need some variety, and if you are in fact not brand loyal (IE, buying a Nissan doesn't bother you because it's a Nissan) you should branch out and give some other cars a try. I really enjoyed my Z06. You should also seriously consider a CLK BS.

What kind of trap speed are you gunning for?

-m

Thanks Marcus --- I hear you on the nameplates and you are right ... the ZR1's and Z06's are there too. I just didnt place them in this post cause I was thinking GTR info at the time. The only thing that that swings me away is the manual tranny. For some reason, I am tired of rowing

Money is not so much the issue but if I can save, why not, hence my GTR inquiry but I can see your point where there is overlap. If the driving dynamics, brake and steering feel, chassis response, suspension, etc are different then the "overlapping" wont play such a large role.

Trap speed would be in the high 120's.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Out Of Control!

Many of my friends tell me that its a Nissan and I should stay away but I am not going to rule out something just because of the nameplate. Not yet at least
It may not be a GT-R but my daily driver has served me well. I think the GT-R is nice but hopefully you don't get addicted to that launch issue Nissan is watching a close eye on. Also the GT-R V-spec is coming out sometime this year. Although the market price for that will be unbelievable you may want to test drive it at least and see how it compares to the regular GT-R.

$30k residual? Daamn!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Thanks Marcus --- I hear you on the nameplates and you are right ... the ZR1's and Z06's are there too. I just didnt place them in this post cause I was thinking GTR info at the time. The only thing that that swings me away is the manual tranny. For some reason, I am tired of rowing

Money is not so much the issue but if I can save, why not, hence my GTR inquiry but I can see your point where there is overlap. If the driving dynamics, brake and steering feel, chassis response, suspension, etc are different then the "overlapping" wont play such a large role.

I am not saying if you were to be blind folded driving a GTR or 997TT you couldn't tell the difference, I'm just saying you have two 2+2 awd 6 cylinder twin turbo coupes that are unmistakably similar. You saw the pictures of the GTR with the 997 @ the Ring, right?

The GTR is a phenomenal car (which I almost purchased one myself), but so is the 997. The GTR has loads of technology and is very fast, but from what you've said about the M6 I just don't think it will fit the bill. Have you driven a Z06? I'd really be curious to hear your take on it.

-m
Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...gtr/index.html

Check out this article in Motor Trend, good right up on the GT-R and ZR-1
Old 01-27-2009, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Money is not so much the issue
if this is possibly in your budget I say SL65 BLACK SERIES!! both EZ modability/low-top end speed out of the box MONSTER...

Chk out the new Car&Driver
Old 01-27-2009, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
after owning a bmw with smg. i hate rowing too and i told myself i would never go back.. paddle shifting a true manual is awesome! but, the c6 z06 would change my mind in a heartbeat.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, GT-R
I have had a GT-R for about five months now. I seem to drive it more often than the E55 recently. It really is decently comfortable even on long trips (400+ miles), has a decent trunk, and tons of tech. As a tech savvy guy I really thought I would use more of the multi-function display, but it has kinda worn off other than the lateral and acceleration G meters.

The audio system is more powerful sounding than the E, but not as accurate. Bluetooth works well. Seat heaters and power seat adjustments are placed in a weird spot on the side of the seats so you have to smash you hand in between the seat and the door to adjust.

Don't expect to ride 4 comfortably, but i have fit a 6' guy in the back... not for long though.

The downside right now is the attention... it seems that every kid wants to race or talk everywhere I go. I still get pictures and video taken atleast a few times a week.

oh and a bit of fun last week...

Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M3, E55, SL55
zr1!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
That
GTR
is
so
bad
a$$.

I'm all confused now.

As for the Z06 vs. GTR question, they're definitely two cars for two different types of people, and I just can't see Vic going from an M6 to a Z06. The lack of tech would just drive him mad.

I need gizmos dammit!!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I've had my GT-R a few months now, I REALLY REALLY like the car.... It's comparable to the Porsche in a lot of ways.... GT-R has more room inside, better electronics, very comfortable, just as quick and a all around better performer.... It's also different, only 1400 or so out there, unlike many variants of Porsches running around...

I don't miss anything moving from the E55 to the GT-R as my everyday car... 70 miles per day during the week...

You really don't need the launch control, I've done a lot of testing at the drag strip and on the gtec.... bone stock, I was getting 0-60 in 3.5 seconds with no launch control..... after I did the tune ($799), the car now runs 0-60 in 3.2 seconds with no LC... on the street, not much is going to have a chance from a dig, most just give up after you hammer them off the line and keep pulling hard... the GT-R isn't like most AWD cars out there, after your moving, it sends all of the power to the rear, so you don't loose as much power trying to turn all 4 wheels, all the time...

I ran the 1/4 mile in 11.2 with no LC, and ran 11.1 with the LC.....

I ran my ACR against the GT-R from 40-140, the Viper did pull, but the GT-R did hang very well.....

Last edited by Fikse; 01-27-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
I cannot get past seeing a G35/350Z everytime I see one of those, forget about it Vic, you are just a little bored with your cars right now, the old grass is greener effect is in play here. If you are gonna make a move get a 360 or a 430 IMHO.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
I say everyone lists their top 5. What car comes out the most favorable may be his best choice.

ZR-1
GT-R
Z06
Aston Martin (primarily Looks)
Viper GTS
Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
ZR-1
CTS-V
Z06
DB9/DBS
Factory Five Racing GTM Supercar
Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
That
GTR
is
so
bad
a$$.

I'm all confused now.

As for the Z06 vs. GTR question, they're definitely two cars for two different types of people, and I just can't see Vic going from an M6 to a Z06. The lack of tech would just drive him mad.

I need gizmos dammit!!
You are losing it like me ---- as for the Z06 I need to drive one to rule it out. A local dealer has a ZR1 on the ground but again, its rowing time... but I think I could live with the rowing and a ZR1

Fikse and Tritech thanks for your input- I think you are the only two owners thus far. When your viper pulled on the GTR was the GTR modded and what was the difference at 140? If I went HKS GT570 and a Cobb would the GTR pull?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by bobgodd
...Factory Five Racing GTM Supercar
Chassis #117 is in my garage under construction! Takes waaay longer than advertised, though.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
yes, the GT-R had the tune when we ran the cars.... the acr started about a 1 car behind at the start (spinning a bit) and was about 2 cars ahead at 140MPH.... the GT-R shifts so quick, everytime I would shift in the ACR, I would drop 1/2 car, I need more seat/shifting time in the ACR....

if you did the HKS kit and tune, you are looking at high 10's with 130+ MPH without launch control....

http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan--GT-R-Drag-Racing.html

Fikse and Tritech thanks for your input- I think you are the only two owners thus far. When your viper pulled on the GTR was the GTR modded and what was the difference at 140? If I went HKS GT570 and a Cobb would the GTR pull?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
CLK BS
CL 63
C 63
GTR

Just my thoughts...then again, i dont have the money!

Good luck on your choice and keep us posted
Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by jmf003
Chassis #117 is in my garage under construction! Takes waaay longer than advertised, though.
You MUST post pics when you're done!!

When I wrecked my Z06, I thought long and hard about getting one of these. Unfortunately for me I just didn't have the time or the space. I did have a full working Z06 at my disposal though!! Ugh, sometimes I still wish I had went for it.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, GT-R
Originally Posted by bobgodd
You MUST post pics when you're done!!

When I wrecked my Z06, I thought long and hard about getting one of these. Unfortunately for me I just didn't have the time or the space. I did have a full working Z06 at my disposal though!! Ugh, sometimes I still wish I had went for it.

YES! and what's the REAL world build cost, obviously not counting time? Speaking of time, how long does it really take, and is this something some Joe Schmoe can undertake in their garage?

Is it worth it to just get one built and done for $80-120?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by psuball1
I say everyone lists their top 5. What car comes out the most favorable may be his best choice.

ZR-1
GT-R
Z06
Aston Martin (primarily Looks)
Viper GTS
Ok done deal.

ZR1
Z06
DBS (best looking car inside and out hands down)
CL65 w216
GT3RS
Old 01-28-2009, 12:14 AM

2012 JDM

I got a crazy idea for you. Lose both of your current cars for one. I think it might be time for you to go exotic.

The ultimate would probably be a 2006 Carerra GT. If you don't want to row the gears get a F430 F1 or the Gallardo LP560-4 (both of which could be had for near the price of your Porsche and BMW combined). Turn two insurance payments and two plate payments into one! If you had one of those and you have a daily beater, would you really need the Porsche or the M6? Probably not (read: Hell NO). I understand that these are widely different prices but really after owning your stable I am just trying to think what will take you to the next level. I almost think you need to go exotic to do this. It sounds like you are after several things: speed, handling, quality, and most of all something that puts a smile on your face like nothing you have owned before. I don't personally see the GTR doing that. The z06 is fast and modded its crazy fast, zr1- same story, but I just think the appointments won't do in the Nissan or Chevy.

Last edited by J 2OOI; 01-28-2009 at 12:22 AM. Reason: 'cause I don't know much about Lambos.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone here drive a GTR? or have opinions?