W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MHP/JRCART....The Rest Of The Story

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
he said she said show some proof
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Hopefully this all gets sorted out for those like Jrcart who put their money on the line. For the blind followers who jumped on the bandwagon, well seeing you guys back track will be amusing. Do speed limits apply when in reverse?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
Jim - Incredibly compelling reading, and like you said before I'm glad that nothing untoward happened to that beautiful beast of yours before you caught it.

I think the issue that has to be addressed here is whether or not you are claiming that Andy stole and resold the Powerchip tune as his own, or instead if when you sent your ECU back to have it reflashed to v3, they simply flashed it back to the version of Powerchip's tune that you had before they touched your ECU in the first place?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by jrcart
MHP/JRCART....The Rest Of The Story
Jrcart, I feel for you and everyone else who are just trying to get the most out of their tunes.

Hope it all works out for you guys!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Hopefully this all gets sorted out for those like Jrcart who put their money on the line. For the blind followers who jumped on the bandwagon, well seeing you guys back track will be amusing. Do speed limits apply when in reverse?
ouch!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
Originally Posted by willc55
I think the issue that has to be addressed here is whether or not you are claiming that Andy stole and resold the Powerchip tune as his own, or instead if when you sent your ECU back to have it reflashed to v3, they simply flashed it back to the version of Powerchip's tune that you had before they touched your ECU in the first place?

+1
Old 02-11-2009, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Good information, Jim keep it coming. He is right, the public has a right to know of any wrongdoing or misleading information. We are getting nearer the bottom of the rabbit hole. Finally.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
I guess I was one of the fortunate ones. Nothing broke or went MIA.
Jim, props to u for speaking the truth about Andy/MHP and i'm glad nothing damaging happened to ur BS. i think nothing went MIA for u b/c u were one of the 1st tester of his tune and he knew that if u gave a good review of the tune then many members on this forum will follow suit.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
This story keeps getting better. I predict the ending will be spectacular.

-Troy
Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Please don't try to call me out, why would I make up that over a dozne people have contacted me in under 2.5 days? What would I gain? Hopefully some of these people that contacted me will come forward. I have PM's and E-mails from several of them, but out of respect for their privacy I will not post the e-mails.

I urge you guys to come forward out in the public forum as you have done with me in private conversation, it's the only way to make things right.
FWIW, jrcart, don't be surprised. Most often, people with vendor issues tend to keep it to themselves, for whatever reason. Last fall, I had a hardware failure from a MBW vendor. I initially contacted the vendor offline, and was given a "stop-gap" solution until a better one could be sourced. After a few weeks of nothing, I began to feel brushed off, so I chronicled my experience on two forums. A bunch of info began to be revealed, though the knowledge base of both MBW and Crossfire forum. The vendor had utilized under-spec'd bearings in the part that failed, and in some cases apparently had damaged the bearings when pressing them into the part - in other cases there were install issues on the customer's end that resulted in premature failure. I do not know what specifically contributed to my failure, as it was not revealed to me (my parts were returned to the vendor for forensic analysis). In the end, I did receive replacement parts for the vendor's products that were either damaged by the incident or recalled by the vendor. The situation was complex, but one eye-opening development occurred within the first few days of creating my threads - roughly half-a-dozen well-respected members privately (via PM) shared bad experiences with the vendor or offered frank, less-than-stellar professional opinions regarding their hardware. I was amazed that these people hadn't and didn't come forward - I suppose, in the end, most don't wish to go down that path for the drama and unpleasantness that may ensue. Said vendor has taken steps to improve their hardware so others don't suffer the same fate, which I applaud.

Your path with the CLK63BS has been a long and winding one, and you've demonstrated a willingness to be a "rolling-test-bed" for whatever it takes to increase your car's performance. While I don't always agree with your posts, I do respect your open and honest opinions of the hardware and software you choose, and consider you to be a straight-shooter on these issues (sometimes triggering heated debates with others, unfortunately, for everyone).

Many are interested in what developments come from these threads - it likely would be a more meaningful discussion if Andy/MHP could comment, however apparently that won't happen 'til his suspension ends, which is nearly a month from now...
Old 02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
wow.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
FWIW, jrcart, don't be surprised. Most often, people with vendor issues tend to keep it to themselves, for whatever reason.
I don't know why people keep their silence. I have been watching this thread since I posted it this morning and I have been keeping an eye the list at the bottom of the page and have seen 3 people that contacted me yesterday with various gripes about their experience with MHP but none of them have posted??? You guys all know who you are, I'm not sure what people are affraid of, makes no sense to me whatsoever. I figured by me making this post it would allow some of them to ease up and post the things they told me yesterday and Tuesday...I guess not. Oh well, their loss.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know why people keep their silence. I have been watching this thread since I posted it this morning and I have been keeping an eye the list at the bottom of the page and have seen 3 people that contacted me yesterday with various gripes about their experience with MHP but none of them have posted??? You guys all know who you are, I'm not sure what people are affraid of, makes no sense to me whatsoever. I figured by me making this post it would allow some of them to ease up and post the things they told me yesterday and Tuesday...I guess not. Oh well, their loss.
My guess? Many enjoy the comraderie of sharing tips, ideas, and (good) experiences with other enthusiasts. Those same folks who enjoy the fraternization aspect of the forums don't want to "rock the boat" if they have an issue that they perceive to be an anomaly or in contrast to the generally held views of the board at large. Others probably just don't want the hassle of dealing with the conflict (think about it: the forums are primarily a hobby for most, outside the obligations we face in our day-to-day lives), not to mention that raising those sorts of flags are inherently confrontational - most people by nature tend to avoid that. By any rights, you are not "most people"
Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
This story keeps getting better. I predict the ending will be spectacular.

-Troy
You already said that elsewhere. Followed with bullets, tears, and beer
Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Jim:

Not looking to defend Andy.... but it could be possible that his MHP tune never took to your ECU. Remember the problems Jeff was having...it turned out it was the RENNtech tune that was still on the ECU. I have a feeling that is what happened in your case. It doesn't say much for MHP's tuning ability...but I would hope that they did not copy the Powerchip tune....

Tom
Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by willc55
Andy could claim he "accidently" flashed the PC file. Kinda like how Evosport mistakenly flashed the stock file for some of the folks on the C63 thinking it was the tuned file. Though Evosport did make an honset mistake which was rectified.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
I was under the impression that a forum, like this one, is established to protect folks like us from wrong doing vendors. Am I wrong?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Wow Jim, sorry to hear this happened! I'm glad nothing went in the engine!! Hope everthing turns out alright!

c32amg-dtm: What happened to your MHP tune....
Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
Wow Jim, sorry to hear this happened! I'm glad nothing went in the engine!! Hope everthing turns out alright!

c32amg-dtm: What happened to your MHP tune....
Nothing...

Our ECUs and TCUs are different than the 63 cars, apparently - I had to ship both the engine-bay ECU and passenger-footwell TCU to MHP for tuning. I was supposed to have dyno results today, but alas my dyno shop had to reschecule the appt, so it's been pushed to early next week.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by psuball1
I was under the impression that a forum, like this one, is established to protect folks like us from wrong doing vendors. Am I wrong?
Only when people decide to speak out. As many of you know I am not affraid to speak my mind, I am not politically correct, I don't go with the flow...I pretty much don't care what anybody thinks about me, I never back down to anyone or anything and last but not least NOBODY WILL EVER CALL ME OUT, oh, they have tried, but never succeeded I post open and honest facts and feelings regardless of popular opinion.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
The only way to "protect" forum members from bad things is for folks to share experiences.

I know some people don't like to admit they were either 1) scammed and 2) didn't do enough research or 3) wasted money - so they prefer to shut up.

Also, posting facts will NOT get you a loss in a court of law. Truth is the best defense.

And - I have a real sore spot for people that toss around threats of suits for libel and slander (usually screwing up the definitions) to keep people from posting their factual information. Huge thumbs down on the lawsuit threats. And good job on bringing it forward that your attorneys (well) advised you to just speak the truth without fear of reprisal.

Others should post. Wouldn't you have wanted someone to tell his story and have saved you some trouble??? Why perpetuate a problem???
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
I can think of 2 good reasons for members keeping quite:

1) Most of the time we men believe our cars to be an extention of our *****/manhood. When theres a problem, we often hide it rather than announce it to the world. And...

2) Not every MB owner is as "financially privaleged" as JRcart, and unfortunately, tuners know this and use it as leverage.
In a case where the customer's car has a tuner-caused issues, the customer is left with a double wammy.
In this case, the customer usually does whatever the tuner suggests to recoupe his damages/losses out of fear of being abandoned.

I was a quiet victim once, but later learned that public enlightenment was my best friend.

Gentlemen I suggest you speak up. Together you will prevail... one way or another.

Good luck to all involved.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:03 PM

2008 SLR
Very interesting info. Doesn't MHP offer a money back guarantee? Did you request a refund from them Jim?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Originally Posted by Uber Wagon
The only way to "protect" forum members from bad things is for folks to share experiences.

I know some people don't like to admit they were either 1) scammed and 2) didn't do enough research or 3) wasted money - so they prefer to shut up.

Also, posting facts will NOT get you a loss in a court of law. Truth is the best defense.

And - I have a real sore spot for people that toss around threats of suits for libel and slander (usually screwing up the definitions) to keep people from posting their factual information. Huge thumbs down on the lawsuit threats. And good job on bringing it forward that your attorneys (well) advised you to just speak the truth without fear of reprisal.

Others should post. Wouldn't you have wanted someone to tell his story and have saved you some trouble??? Why perpetuate a problem???
Jinx... you owe me a beer.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by Sincity
Andy could claim he "accidently" flashed the PC file. Kinda like how Evosport mistakenly flashed the stock file for some of the folks on the C63 thinking it was the tuned file. Though Evosport did make an honset mistake which was rectified.
To correct this, as it is not quite right.

Powerchip did not flash the two C63's with stock software, not did it not take. They flashed them with version 1, which was before they unlocked the throttle opening from the E/SL. So, the flash DID take, it was just the wrong file.

FYI, there is no such thing as a tune not taking. In the case of attempting to flash over another tuner's file, it will either take or it will tell you during the process that it will not load over the encrypted data as I understand it. But either way, the tuner knows at that point if the tune "took" - it is not a surprise that the user has to find out later.

thanks
Brad

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: MHP/JRCART....The Rest Of The Story