W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MHP/JRCART....The Rest Of The Story

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55
this entire situation sucks. last week it was the wheels with a different vendor, this week its ecu/tcu crap with MHP. I was considering an ecu tune, but honestly wouldnt have chosen them regardless of pricing. the constant back and forth bickering/overall attitude they have shown on the board is enough for me to steer my business somewhere else. to the OP, hope you get everything straightened out.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:07 PM

e550 4m
Originally Posted by Uber Wagon
The only way to "protect" forum members from bad things is for folks to share experiences.

I know some people don't like to admit they were either 1) scammed and 2) didn't do enough research or 3) wasted money - so they prefer to shut up.

Also, posting facts will NOT get you a loss in a court of law. Truth is the best defense.

And - I have a real sore spot for people that toss around threats of suits for libel and slander (usually screwing up the definitions) to keep people from posting their factual information. Huge thumbs down on the lawsuit threats. And good job on bringing it forward that your attorneys (well) advised you to just speak the truth without fear of reprisal.

Others should post. Wouldn't you have wanted someone to tell his story and have saved you some trouble??? Why perpetuate a problem???
I have a MHP Tune, it took over a month for my tune to get back into my hands for whatever reasons.

My car feels faster, shifts harder, and there was definetly a 100 mile or so learning ciurve - i actually thought my car was flooding itself when i first drove it.

I have a baseline dyno done and i will goto the same shop to get this tune dyno'd ... i will post my results. i have 250 miles on the tune thus far.

I found the price to be higher than others i choose MHP for the following reasons
1) Evosport was causing CEL's and were not taking to peoples ECU
2) Kleeman didnt offer as much power
3) Renntech - was my second choice but my paddles were very slow to shift
4) MHP offered same or more power with quicker paddle shifting and shifting in S mode

did I get ripped off? mayyyyyybe, it wouldnt be first first or last time though.

that is all the facts i have
Old 02-11-2009, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by otoupalik
To correct this, as it is not quite right.

Powerchip did not flash the two C63's with stock software, not did it not take. They flashed them with version 1, which was before they unlocked the throttle opening from the E/SL. So, the flash DID take, it was just the wrong file.

FYI, there is no such thing as a tune not taking. In the case of attempting to flash over another tuner's file, it will either take or it will tell you during the process that it will not load over the encrypted data as I understand it. But either way, the tuner knows at that point if the tune "took" - it is not a surprise that the user has to find out later.

thanks
Brad
Thats exactly what I was thinking. I have had my car tuned at least 5 times by LET every time I get a new part, and I never heard of a tune "not taking," I think that tuning comes from experience....
Old 02-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 717 Likes on 698 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
I don't know why people keep their silence. I have been watching this thread since I posted it this morning and I have been keeping an eye the list at the bottom of the page and have seen 3 people that contacted me yesterday with various gripes about their experience with MHP but none of them have posted??? You guys all know who you are, I'm not sure what people are affraid of, makes no sense to me whatsoever.
u know u'll get banned if the story was the other way around...
Old 02-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

AMGs
Wow... Interesting stuff here...

Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
It does seem in part that we are dealing with word semantics.

At this point it does seem that Andy/MHD "stacked the truth" a little on the statement that he could "tune" the TCU. Andy/MHP should have used a better choice of words that described the work his company was performing. If he was performing "tuning" work that others were not, than so be it and charge more for it. However, he should have been more clear about the tuning he has doing but in no way required to spell it out word for word. As for the price of the TCU tuning, well it was a little excessive, but that is his right. You have something to sell, you set the price. IF someone wants to buy it then that's on them and only them. But as everyone has heard it is possible and Andy was able to change some of the settings that deal with the TCU as a whole. To me the fact he is a "middle man" in the deal is a non-factor. As a former manufacture of parts for the Automotive Aftermarket, it was always common for us to use an outside manufacture from time to time to make some of our parts. We would come up with a concept or idea then search out the best company to make said parts. It was also and is also common practice for a company to "private label" parts or to say a parts is made by them when in fact it is only exclusively made for them by someone else. What I am saying here is Andy /MHP could have done a better job marketing his product and choosing his words but to say he was an out and out fraud or hack is still much to early to make such a damaging claim. The story continues, we shall see. I am not and will not voice a final option on this matter until the end.

Here is an example: This post seems a lot like saying that adding a performance exhaust to a car "makes horsepower". The exhaust system, it in it's self makes no power at all. The exhaust is not some mechanical moving machine. By adding the exhaust system you only "free up" power that the engine is already making and has always made.

So what does my above statement mean, well it means the term "making horsepower" or "freeing up horsepower" is one in the same as it pertains to the above statement.
IT looks like we are comparing a red apple to a green apple. Guess what, they are different colors but they are still both apples.

-Troy
Old 02-11-2009, 02:40 PM
SPONSOR

Mercedes/ BMW/ Audi
Originally Posted by otoupalik
To correct this, as it is not quite right.

Powerchip did not flash the two C63's with stock software, not did it not take. They flashed them with version 1, which was before they unlocked the throttle opening from the E/SL. So, the flash DID take, it was just the wrong file.

FYI, there is no such thing as a tune not taking. In the case of attempting to flash over another tuner's file, it will either take or it will tell you during the process that it will not load over the encrypted data as I understand it. But either way, the tuner knows at that point if the tune "took" - it is not a surprise that the user has to find out later.

thanks
Brad
Not to mention the first step once communication to the ECU is made is the erasing of the ECU! It has to erase before it can write...
Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by LETMotorsports
Not to mention the first step once communication to the ECU is made is the erasing of the ECU! It has to erase before it can write...
Which begs the question, how the hell did a Powerchip tune end up on my ECU? A) Either never erased by MHP B) was put back on by MHP C) ??? Is there any other logical answers????

I have little to no knowledge of what is envolved in the ECU "flashjing" process, if that is even the correct term, could there be any other reason there is a Powerchip tune on my ECU?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which begs the question, how the hell did a Powerchip tune end up on my ECU? A) Either never erased by MHP B) was put back on by MHP C) ??? Is there any other logical answers????

I have little to no knowledge of what is envolved in the ECU "flashjing" process, if that is even the correct term, could there be any other reason there is a Powerchip tune on my ECU?
Well, according to Andy:

Originally Posted by Andy
So what happened with Jim? Great question. While racing out West at Willow Jim blew the front seal on his diff. .........his car was trailered back to Evosport where it was held for ~10 days without any supervision.............. What happened over the course of the next week to week and a half I'll leave to your imagination.

Here is what I was told by Jim: Jim requested that the car be dyno'd (for what reason I'm not sure) the car was dyno'd several times and that the numbers were on par with his old results--not like what he'd seen doing it himself in Chicago. At this point Jim flys out to Cali and "allows" Evosport to download our N/A ECU tune. Evosport claims it to be an identical copy of their powerchip ECU tune (which simply isn't possible because their ECU tune simply wouldn't work with what we do to the TCU and we flash the ECU/TCU at the same time on 63 AMGs) at which point Jim hands them the nitrous ECU/TCU which was locked in his trailer so no one had access to it until that moment. When that file is downloaded surprise surprise, it looks nothing like the Powerchip N/A tune. The funny thing is, the two tunes from us were identical less A/F, timing, and a bit of TM. Identical. So the obvious question then becomes, what happened to the N/A ECU in the time the car was unsupervised? The answer which should be obvious to anyone is, whatever they wanted to do with it. It would've taken all of an hour for someone to suck our tune out the OBDII port and throw another tune (perhaps an older previously used tune???) in the car without anyone knowing then dyno the car and claim lower numbers. I also find it rather impossible to believe that despite Jim getting a 1 day crash course in binary coding that he would know the difference or even have a clue what he was looking at--not a knock, it's just not his profession--when they allegedly pulled both tunes up and compared them side by side.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
interesting,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
So what happened with Jim? Great question. While racing out West at Willow Jim blew the front seal on his diff. .........his car was trailered back to Evosport where it was held for ~10 days without any supervision.............. What happened over the course of the next week to week and a half I'll leave to your imagination.

Here is what I was told by Jim: Jim requested that the car be dyno'd (for what reason I'm not sure) the car was dyno'd several times and that the numbers were on par with his old results--not like what he'd seen doing it himself in Chicago. At this point Jim flys out to Cali and "allows" Evosport to download our N/A ECU tune. Evosport claims it to be an identical copy of their powerchip ECU tune (which simply isn't possible because their ECU tune simply wouldn't work with what we do to the TCU and we flash the ECU/TCU at the same time on 63 AMGs) at which point Jim hands them the nitrous ECU/TCU which was locked in his trailer so no one had access to it until that moment. When that file is downloaded surprise surprise, it looks nothing like the Powerchip N/A tune. The funny thing is, the two tunes from us were identical less A/F, timing, and a bit of TM. Identical. So the obvious question then becomes, what happened to the N/A ECU in the time the car was unsupervised? The answer which should be obvious to anyone is, whatever they wanted to do with it. It would've taken all of an hour for someone to suck our tune out the OBDII port and throw another tune (perhaps an older previously used tune???) in the car without anyone knowing then dyno the car and claim lower numbers. I also find it rather impossible to believe that despite Jim getting a 1 day crash course in binary coding that he would know the difference or even have a clue what he was looking at--not a knock, it's just not his profession--when they allegedly pulled both tunes up and compared them side by side.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
Now this is really getting good. Damn I'm glad I haven't done any Mods yet.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM

e550 4m
jrcart - it seems like you may have a little opening for another version of the story - i dont mean to press but was it the CEL perhaps coming from the suspension bottoming that got you thinking?

because if thats the case then when Evosport read your ECU they could have pulled a "slight of hand" and showed you their tune as being in your car.

I dont know what all goes into on ECU flash asl well, logic only gets me so far.... but you think if andy was stealing tunes or defrauding people he wouldnt be pissing so many people off, calling them out, begging them to catch him...

that or he is bat sh*t crazy.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Hi Tim Milliken welcome to W211 AMG board
Old 02-11-2009, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

INDYJOE I love how you attempting to muddy the waters and cloud the truth. I ALREADY ADDRESSED THIS POST FROM A DIFFERENT FORUM WITH MY ORIGINAL POST ON THIS THREAD. MY CAR WAS IN MY TRAILER POWERCHIP HAD NO ACCESS TO MY CAR OR ECU WHEN I WAS GETTTING THE LIMP MODE ERROR CODES THAT ARE EXCLUSIVE TO POWERCHIPS OLDER VERSION 63 BLACK SERIES TUNES. THERE IS NO WAY THEY STOLE ANYTING OR REPLACED ANYTHING. THEY ONLY THING THAT WAS PLUGGED INTO MY CAR WAS A STAR DIAGNOSTIC DEVICE TO READ OUT THE CODES AND IT WAS ONLY PLUGGED IN FOR ABOUT 3 MINUTES...THERE IS NO WAY THEY STOLE AN MHP TUNE AND FLASHED A POWERCHIP TUNE ON MY CAR IN 3 MINUTES...IT TAKES 30 MINUTES FOR THE mb DEALERSHIP JUST TO VIN INITIALIZE A A NEW ONE.

YOU NEED TO GET A CLUE AND STOP SIPPING THE KOOL-AID!
Originally Posted by indyjoe
Well, according to Andy:
Old 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
Only when people decide to speak out. As many of you know I am not affraid to speak my mind, I am not politically correct, I don't go with the flow...I pretty much don't care what anybody thinks about me, I never back down to anyone or anything and last but not least NOBODY WILL EVER CALL ME OUT, oh, they have tried, but never succeeded I post open and honest facts and feelings regardless of popular opinion.
jrcart,
I can see why you want the "others" to come out of the wood work and tell their stories, it seems they are still afraid of Andy coming after them for libel. If you really want to push this, offer up some indemnification for them to feel more comfortable telling their stories.

The one thing to always remember about libel suits is that the best defense to them is THE TRUTH.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stefario
jrcart - it seems like you may have a little opening for another version of the story - i dont mean to press but was it the CEL perhaps coming from the suspension bottoming that got you thinking?

because if thats the case then when Evosport read your ECU they could have pulled a "slight of hand" and showed you their tune as being in your car.

I dont know what all goes into on ECU flash asl well, logic only gets me so far.... but you think if andy was stealing tunes or defrauding people he wouldnt be pissing so many people off, calling them out, begging them to catch him...

that or he is bat sh*t crazy.
It has nothing to do with the suspension, it is a problem that was exclusive to only a handful of Powerchip 63 Black Series tunes. It would be impossible for someone with a Renntech or a stock tune to pop these codes in this sequence.

I wish Powerchip would chime in on this subject, I do not know all the correct terms.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
SPONSOR

Mercedes/ BMW/ Audi
Why doesn't someone else with an MHP tune send their ECU to a disinterested third party for examination?

A lot of tuners have access to the ME9.7 and most tuners have access to at least 70 - 80% of the available maps.

Differential comparisons are a beautiful thing.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:27 PM

e550 4m
Why doesn't someone else with an MHP tune send their ECU to a disinterested third party for examination?

A lot of tuners have access to the ME9.7 and most tuners have access to at least 70 - 80% of the available maps.

Im in - and i am in vancouver - tell me where.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 PM

e550 4m
It has nothing to do with the suspension, it is a problem that was exclusive to only a handful of Powerchip 63 Black Series tunes. It would be impossible for someone with a Renntech or a stock tune to pop these codes in this sequence.

I wish Powerchip would chime in on this subject, I do not know all the correct terms.
please dont take offence to this question.

If you do not know the correct terms or much about the ECU (i am the same) how do you know they all popped the same codes? did Evosport tell you this?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is already in the works. As I stated yesterday I was waiting for more evidence before coming forward, but since Andy opened the can of worms first I had to save face and post what info I had at the time. There is more stuff out there still, this is only the tip of the iceberg.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stefario
please dont take offence to this question.

If you do not know the correct terms or much about the ECU (i am the same) how do you know they all popped the same codes? did Evosport tell you this?
I can read! I saw them on the Star Diagnostics screen, it does not take a rocket scientist to read a few letters inad numbers in a squence on a screen and the same codes popped on another Powerchip tuned Black Series that same day.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Wow still just he said she said no solid facts all this drama and all I hear taking the b/s out of it is just ideas and thoughts. No solid facts?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 PM

e550 4m
I can read! I saw them on the Star Diagnostics screen, it does not take a rocket scientist to read a few letters inad numbers in a squence on a screen and the same codes popped on another Powerchip tuned Black Series that same day.
fair enough - just getting the facts straight ... so you saw the codes for your self on both cars - thats a lot different (For all of us) than any other way it could have went down. thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
INDYJOE I love how you attempting to muddy the waters and cloud the truth. I ALREADY ADDRESSED THIS POST FROM A DIFFERENT FORUM WITH MY ORIGINAL POST ON THIS THREAD. MY CAR WAS IN MY TRAILER POWERCHIP HAD NO ACCESS TO MY CAR OR ECU WHEN I WAS GETTTING THE LIMP MODE ERROR CODES THAT ARE EXCLUSIVE TO POWERCHIPS OLDER VERSION 63 BLACK SERIES TUNES. THERE IS NO WAY THEY STOLE ANYTING OR REPLACED ANYTHING. THEY ONLY THING THAT WAS PLUGGED INTO MY CAR WAS A STAR DIAGNOSTIC DEVICE TO READ OUT THE CODES AND IT WAS ONLY PLUGGED IN FOR ABOUT 3 MINUTES...THERE IS NO WAY THEY STOLE AN MHP TUNE AND FLASHED A POWERCHIP TUNE ON MY CAR IN 3 MINUTES...IT TAKES 30 MINUTES FOR THE mb DEALERSHIP JUST TO VIN INITIALIZE A A NEW ONE.

YOU NEED TO GET A CLUE AND STOP SIPPING THE KOOL-AID!
Jim, give me a break, I'm not drinking any kool-aid. As you know VERY WELL, I could give a **** if Andy goes bankrupt. In fact, I started posting because I was fed up with his attitude. But that doesn't change the fact that things just seem to be dishonest.

You should just say that "Hey, I had concerns that MHP's tune was unsafe, so I decided to switch.", but you kept going on about how he may have stole PC's tune, or it was the same tune. This was after months of you going on and on and on and on about how incredible the tune was and what a difference it makes.

Things just don't add up. That's all I'm saying.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
There is definitely very interesting information in this thread, and as it keeps getting better and better, I can't keep myself from leaving this thread

There are a couple of points that are still somewhat un-addressed:

- There are a few members who dynoed the MHP tune and compared it directly to MKB's tune and Powerchip's tune. They even used the same dyno and same operator, and have shown a good difference..... Also, some have showed some improvements on the track not to mention every single one of them felt a HUGE improvement in shift firmness and speed.

I think to experience the full richness of this debate, and to reach a meaningful conclusion, one needs to hear both sides in direct response. Since only one side can be presented here at this time, why not continue this debate on the absolutelydriven forum where Andy can post his responses and maybe both sides can present whatever evidence they have, and let the community judge

Last edited by MB_Forever; 02-11-2009 at 04:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: MHP/JRCART....The Rest Of The Story