MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Postings of a Sane, but Tired E63 Man

See my sig for what I own.

The forum is....

So many different wheels.
People changing from 06 to 07 trim.
Tires? Ps2 is the best, I am using Goodyear F1 Asymnetric.

Tuning?.... If you have a C63 then aftermarket can open it up, but for everything else, it just eats into the margin AMG put in place to ensure reliability.

For the cost, intake, short headers, tuning, is just not worth it.

What have i learned about my car from this forum?

Well, the squeeling break TSB.
LSD oil change is free for P30 cars.
E55 cars need really special drain plugs.
Links to training modules.

What else have I learned?

It's all about aftermarket and not about the brand.

This is the AMG W211 forum. We have no impact on AMG because we do not buy from them. I did, and a few others did, but in general this is a used car forum.

When will I see anything about tire pressures for the track?
Anyone have a clue of performance between the P30 and not?
Left foot braking, good or confusing for the ESP?

So I decided to complain. What has the forum really done? Yea we eat popcorn for the gents who want to spout BS on the forum. Where is the real understanding of our cars?

I will say there are those on this forum with much wisdom on the E55. The E63 has little. CF intake? , Nothing about real performance it's a looks thing.

There is more interest in aftermarket that real stuff from AMG. Admittedly very little form AMG.

Complain, complain,
The forum could distill itself into something better.

And as for the GTG???? Sat morning at Santana Row beats almost everything on a regular basis.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Yeah, but you’re still piloting a fine E63. Received a swell ride-along at Laguna Seca, too.

The GTGs and upstanding gentlemen I’ve met through this forum make the ridiculous episodes worth overlooking.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Give the 63 platform more time. They just have not been out long enough to have adequate mods made.

As far as your questions that you feel do not get addressed, maybe it is just that the data hasn't been repeated enough to be solid? i dunno.

Saying it is the rif raff getting in is a cop out, since most of the recent troubles and worthlessness have been by members with "new" cars vs buying used (myself included). We all need to take responsibility for how we post and being in an MB forum shouldn't matter.

I don't get what you mean by we are looking at aftermarket and not AMG. we looked at AMG and the opportunity to get info or even parts from them has only gotten harder.

I'm not picking at you (for the 030) but are you saying that we should be looking to source 030 parts instead of the aftermarket brands? If so, then we need to discuss the 030 specs. Some did try early on and some just weren't interested.

A few of your questions:

Track tire pressures: That depends on so many things, including what type of track you are on and how well it is prepped. It has been dicussed a HUGE number of times.

030 vs standard performance: The same as any other E63 but with the added mods (LSD, etc.) Reality is that the package alone may not show numbers improvements as much as better "feel".

Left foot braking for ESP: THAT IS A GREAT POINT! These cars are run by computers and how we drive has everything to do with how the car reacts. Treating it like a race car and being upset that it did not perform is a little over zealous. Instead, learn to drive it in a way that puts you in control of the computer and it gets funner. For the record, you can left foot the brake with no issues. What the car won't like is you using the brakes and the gas at the same time, like how many drive go carts. It will let you do it enough to shift weight, but no tricks
Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Hi Jon,

I've had the pleasure in meeting you at one of our Sacramento track days, and I must say you've always been a great help to me and to others around the forum. I understand what you are trying to say, and have always appreciated your input. But the forum is just not as bad as people have been implying lately...... Yes, there has been a few bad posts/threads here and there, but there has been also millions of good ones. Okay maybe not millions, but you know what I mean Also, I've made very valuable friendships with many great car enthusiasts on this forum that I would not trade for anything

Regarding the E63, you're absolutely right. There is just not much performance gains that can be had without spending a considerable amount of money, which I think was Mercedes/AMG's plan in the first place when they moved to a naturally aspirated platform..... all in an effort to cut down on warranty claims and such. Mercedes is steadily destroying the aftermarket performance tuning crowd, as it continues to make their ECUs more complex and increasingly hard to hack.

You also mention that there is "more interest for aftermarket than from AMG". I'm not sure what do you mean by that? AMG themselves don't provide any extra "power" for those who want it Many people have tried asking AMG for additional hp, upgrades, and even just tuning in the past, including myself, but we get back the same answer: NO or not available at this time, etc..... I don't think they'll ever offer extra tuning or more hp upgrades on top of the original specs after a car has been produced or "finalized" from the factory.

I thought we discussed the tire pressure issue many times over here For drag radials, most are using a setting between 20 to 24 psi and for street tires, some have found that the recommended 36 psi works well and others have dropped the pressure a little to 28 or 30. And regarding the P30 package, I don't think it makes much of a difference in a straight line, but I definitely felt a difference on a road course track.... especially with the suspension in cornering.

Anyways, I really hope you don't get affected too much by what's been happening around here lately, as I think most of it is just fun and games and not too serious. Why sooo seerrrioouss?

Last edited by MB_Forever; 02-14-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm just in a funk.

Tire pressures are more about a closed circuit rather than 1/4 mile.

And jangy. nice post, will read it when I am 100% awake read my post time. Include I have a 6am flight in the morning.

Mo. Thanks, a nice and level headed poster.

Last edited by Jon2007E63P30; 02-14-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
For the record, you can left foot the brake with no issues. What the car won't like is you using the brakes and the gas at the same time, like how many drive go carts. It will let you do it enough to shift weight, but no tricks
Umm that's the point of LFB, trimming the car while on the power. It's mostly used with turbo cars and FWD cars.

Please try to keep your driving tips to a minimum. There are usually full of bad info and I wouldn't want someone wadding their car trying something that you posted
Old 02-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
Umm that's the point of LFB, trimming the car while on the power. It's mostly used with turbo cars and FWD cars.

Please try to keep your driving tips to a minimum. There are usually full of bad info and I wouldn't want someone wadding their car trying something that you posted
Ummmm, thanks for the tail again. He didn't ask for a definition. Your post adds great value. I am thrilled that you have friends at EVOSport.

edit: BTW, OP posted this thread out of frustration from this. Can't you at least respect the board and attack me in our threads?

Last edited by jangy; 02-14-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: To clarify E55Pilot
Old 02-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
I'm just in a funk.

Tire pressures are more about a closed circuit rather than 1/4 mile.

And jangy. nice post, will read it when I am 100% awake read my post time. Include I have a 6am flight in the morning.

Mo. Thanks, a nice and level headed poster.
In a way, we all are and I think the past week was enough to show even more of us (including those of us that participate in it) that the bickering isn't helping, regardless of what point is being made.

Siswati said it best.
I personally apologize to you for my part.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What did CART racing series use for engines?

Old man Paul Tracey changed to left foot braking after seeing telemetry from left foot braking team mate AJ Almindinger. That is a huge change at that point in your career, and I seem to remember he went faster as a result.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Banned

2004 E55
Ummmm, thanks for the tail again. He didn't ask for a definition. Your post adds great value. I am thrilled that you have friends at EVOSport.
What are you talking about?

I told him where its mostly used, not that you'd know. why would you falsely claim that I have friends at evosport?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Banned

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
What did CART racing series use for engines?

Old man Paul Tracey changed to left foot braking after seeing telemetry from left foot braking team mate AJ Almindinger. That is a huge change at that point in your career, and I seem to remember he went faster as a result.
Turbo, it kept him off the blowoff valve.

Lifting spikes the plenum pressure and that's where cart put their blowoff valve
Old 02-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
What are you talking about?

I told him where its mostly used, not that you'd know. why would you falsely claim that I have friends at evosport?
This ain't the thread for it. Sorry Jon. E55Pilot, whatever your passion is for me; it is really odd. It is a compliment because I obviously threaten you but it really is sick. I made the statement about EVOSport because it is what I believe and I have always been honest on this board, including when I claimed to beat a Yellow Z06 at Fontana in the quarter mile.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
i see ur point jon...
we can always start a thread that more technical (driving tips, track GTGs, etc...)
ever since the experience @ AMG PL event at laguna seca and 1/4mi experience at AZ, i'd rather have more meets at the track/auto-x happening in the forum... i know evosport holds monthly event at willows (but only on weekdays)... and a mutual meet with M5, P-car members will also be another positive direction instead of just focusing on MB/AMG meets...
Old 02-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Banned

2004 E55
I made the statement about EVOSport because it is what I believe and I have always been honest on this board, including when I claimed to beat a Yellow Z06 at Fontana in the quarter mile.
You still didn't answer the question.

As for your honesty on this board well thats suspect
Old 02-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
You still didn't answer the question.

As for your honesty on this board well thats suspect

Sorry, what was the question?

Suspect muspect. i am not selling anything so why? Either way, give a rat's behind. Don't believe me. That isn't an issue.